Position Title: REX’S DEN KITCHEN SUPERVISOR at the University of Toronto Scarborough Campus
Organization: SCSU Restaurants Inc. (SRI)
Reporting to: SRI General Manager
Position Type: Part-time, Permanent
Remuneration: $16.00/hour + Gratuities (catering events)
Work Hours: Flexible, between 15-40 hours per week; with the possibility of full-time employment.
Under the primary guidance of the SRI General Manager, the Kitchen Supervisor will:
- Responsible for the back-of-house operations of the Rex’s Den restaurant.
- Develop and maintain all recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which will ensure consistent high quality, and minimize food costs through portion control over all items served and in establishing menu selling prices.
- Manage and directly supervise the preparation of all menu items for restaurant and catering operations.
- Manage inventory control systems and food ordering systems, including inventory and labour costing, forecasting, and budgeting.
- Support the SRI GM with the operational and human resource aspects of Rex’s Den Restaurant in a manner consistent with the vision, values, and Mission Statement of the SCSU, as well as the by-laws, policies, and regulations of the organization.
- Develop and maintain health and safety guidelines for the kitchen, and supervise occupational health and safety in consultation with the SRI General Manager.
- Assist in strategizing and analyzing what the Rex’s Den Restaurant must do to become better at serving the needs of UTSC’s student body.
- Maintain a local, regional, provincial, national and international awareness of new trends and innovative ideas in food and beverage service-related industries, university communities.
- Incorporate these new ideas and concepts when and where desirable. Be responsible for the development and implementation of policies and projects as directed by the Rex’s Den General Manager.
- Continually communicate and interact with the SRI General Manager and Rex’s Den Advisory Committee
- Chef’s diploma/designation or University/College degree in Hospitality, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated success in supervising a restaurant/hospitality kitchen environment.
- Experience in managing a staff between 5 to 15 employees.
- Demonstrated skill in the creation and implementation of menu plans and recipes, and proven skill in preparing a wide variety of dishes.
- Working knowledge of food costing, inventory management, and supplier relations.
- Working knowledge of Provincial and Federal Labour Laws, Occupational Health and Safety regulations, Liquor License Board of Ontario Regulations.
- Excellent aptitude and familiarity with budgeting.
- Ontario Smart Serve trained preferred.
- Will need to be Manager Certified through the University of Toronto Server Training Program.
Interested candidates should send their résumé and cover letter to Ms. Sarah Worku to be considered for employment by TUESDAY APRIL 30th, 2013 at 5PM. All applications should be received via e-mail.
The Rex’s Den Kitchen Supervisor reports to the SRI General Manager. The Kitchen Supervisor holds a supervisory role over the Kitchen Staff, and other positions to be defined. Each of these roles will also report to the SCSU Executive Director via the SRI General Manager.
The SRI General Manager reports to the SCSU Executive Director, and works with staff of the SCSU and Rex’s Den to maintain a focus on the principals and initiatives of the SCSU in an effort to serve students better.
Please Note: The SCSU is an independently incorporated organization working within the University of Toronto community. This position is NOT a University of Toronto staff position.
Ms. Sarah Worku
Vice President of Human Resources
Scarborough Campus Students' Union (SCSU)
SCSU & Rex’s Den Restaurant are equal opportunity employers. We encourage all qualified persons to apply for job vacancies!