Reporting to the Assistant Manager, Grounds and Janitorial Services, this role provides maintenance support to the organization by keeping the building and grounds clean and tidy. This position includes a customer service aspect as Grounds Attendants are also front line ambassadors to Aquarium visitors.
Ensures the highest standards of cleanliness and presentation for the interior and exterior of the Vancouver Aquarium facility by:
- Cleaning and sanitizing washrooms;
- Polishing washroom mirrors and replenishing paper products and supplies;
- Emptying garbage and picking up litter;
- Sweeping, power washing or hosing decks, walkways, and stairs;
- Vacuuming floors and carpets;
- Polishing window, acrylic cases, tanks, graphics, displays, and doors.
Diligently and actively performs other duties of the Grounds and Janitorial Department by:
- Washing, cleaning, and vacuuming Aquarium vehicles;
- Operating Aquarium vehicles when necessary to make a delivery or pick up materials;
- Ushering visitors out at the end of the day and closing the Aquarium.
Maintains and fosters a collaborative working environment with people outside the Grounds Department by:
- Assisting the gardener and Day Maintenance assistant by watering and weeding the garden;
- Helping with minor emergencies (lost children, broken glass, spills);
- Assisting other departments with moving furniture and displays;
- Answering routine questions from the public.
Consciously desires to improve the Vancouver Aquarium and its processes by:
- Promptly aiding in Emergency protocol;
- Maintaining organizational safety standards;
- Continually reducing our impact on the environment and increasing the sustainability of our operations;
- Performing additional duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum grade 12 education or equivalent training/experience;
- Valid B.C. Class 5 Driver’s license;
- Customer Service and/or Experience in dealing with the public is an asset;
- WHMIS certification is an asset;
- Active demonstration of the company’s values and mission.
- Ability to operate equipment such as blowers, power washers, and weed trimmers and other electrical tools in a safe and effective manner;
- Good communication and customer service skills Job requires attention to detail and an awareness of surroundings;
- Good understanding of cleaning products and chemical handling;
- Care must be taken to ensure the right product for the job.
- Job requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time;
- Lifting, pushing, pulling and stretching are all required to fulfill cleaning duties;
- Required to carry a radio and be accessible for calls;
- Exposure to sun and weather;
- Flexibility and availability in schedule are required during the week, including evenings, weekends and holidays (occasional on call).
If you would like to submit an application for this position please do so via our online application process at http://www.vanaqua.org/join/careers. Once you have completed you application it will be directed to the appropriate hiring manager.
Indeed - 14 months ago