The Instrumentation Journeyman must have a continual focus on safety, cost control and client satisfaction when performing the duties of this position. The Instrument Technician has experience producing quality work with attention to detail in order to meet and exceed client needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Repairs and troubleshoots electrical, instrumentation and control equipment and emission monitoring instrumentation.
- Performs installation, calibration, testing, troubleshooting and maintenance of protective relays, computers, metering, monitoring and control systems on gas turbines, generators and plant auxiliary equipment.
- Inspects and tests operation of instruments and systems to diagnose faults using pneumatic, electrical and electronic testing devices and precision measuring instruments.
- Performs installation of process control instrumentation such as transmitters, controllers, analyzers and control valves.
- Performs mechanical work associated with instrument repair and modification while having the ability to remove and install small piping and tubing.
- Rebuilds and calibrates transmitters and control valves; tune controllers.
- May interface with outside contractors on new installation and startup of electrical and process control system.
- Provides support to operations in process control.
- Repairs and adjusts system components, such as sensors, transmitters and programmable logic controllers, or remove and replace defective parts.
- Calibrates and replaces components and instruments according to manufacturers' specifications.
- Performs scheduled preventive maintenance work and complete test and maintenance reports.
- Reviews all technical manuals, training manuals and drawings as per supervisor's direction to ensure job knowledge.
- Communicates condition of equipment and status of jobs to supervision, operations and outside service representatives.
- Reads and interprets instruction manuals, blueprints and control system drawings.
- Completes all written and electronic records (i.e. work orders, calibration sheets, time cards, material requests) required to document the work in progress and as it is completed.
- Consults manufacturer's manuals, circuit diagrams and blueprints to determine tests and maintenance procedures for instruments used for measuring and controlling flow, level, pressure, temperature, chemical composition and other variables in manufacturing and processing.
- Complies with standards and procedures of the Tarpon Health & Safety Manual and Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
Skills, Abilities and Educational Background
- Completion of an apprenticeship program in industrial instrument repair or completion of a two-year college program in industrial instrumentation technology and several years of work experience.
- Experience with a variety of hand tools.
- Knowledge of electricity, voltage and current relationships.
- Ability to interpret electrical drawings and PID'S.
- Knowledge of Allen Bradley PLCs.
- Knowledge of gas plant and power plant or related equipment; safety practices, machinery inspection procedures; basic chemistry principles; gas and power plant processes; theories and principles of gas and power plant operations; basic electrical principles.
- Ability to use basic mathematics including algebra and geometry to take measurements and perform computations required for installation and calibration of equipment.
- Ability to operate and use such test equipment as multimeters, loop calibrators, frequency devices and oscilloscopes
- Ability to read in English and understand technical manuals, classroom materials and electrical and mechanical drawings.
- Capable of working with DCS, programming and troubleshooting programmable logic controls (PLC), control software and human-machine interface systems.
- Ability to use hand tools such as wrenches, screwdrivers and small electrical hand tools.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Must have a flexible work schedule - shift work, overtime and weekends and schedule changes are routine and required aspects of the position.
- Excellent communication skills and interaction with co-workers, supervisors and contractors.
- Possess high degree of initiative, creativity, communication skills, self-supervision, and respect for safety requirements.
- Must be a team player and work closely with maintenance, production, engineering and outside services.
Special Conditions of Employment
- Must have valid class 5 drivers’ license.
- Must have own transportation as locations are not easily accessible by public transportation
Tarpon offers a very attractive compensation package that includes a competitive salary, a full benefits plan that is effective on the first day of employment and a matching RRSP program. Tarpon has an open and team-oriented culture that focuses on communication, integrity, innovation and respect. Employees take pride in their work and are the single most important reason why Tarpon offers superior customer service.
To apply for this position, please visit http://tarponenergy.hgcareers.com/js/. You can also apply by faxing or mailing your resume and cover letter (stating position title) to: Tarpon Energy Services Ltd., 7020 - 81 Street SE, Calgary, AB T2C 5B8; Fax: 403-265-5825
Indeed - 19 months ago
Tarpon Energy Services Ltd. is a leading supplier of electrical and instrumentation services, control systems and steel building solutions....