Human Resources Coordinator
McLennan Ross LLP, a well established law firm committed to serving the legal needs of Albertans and Northerners, is rated by Canadian Lawyer magazine as one of the top ten law firms in Western Canada. Founded over 100 years ago, McLennan Ross has grown today to more than 75 lawyers and an extensive support staff, with offices in Edmonton, Calgary and Yellowknife.
What separates McLennan Ross from other law firms is our ability to see "beyond the law" - recognizing and appreciating how legal difficulties can significantly impact a client's life and their business. Strategic thinking, grounded in a solid understanding of the realities of the business world and basic common sense, is a hallmark of McLennan Ross.
We have a dynamic team of staff who are highly motivated with strong team spirit to provide exceptional support to our lawyers and clients. We are currently recruiting for a full time Human Resources Coordinator in our Edmonton office.
Reporting to the Manager of Human Resources, our Human Resources Coordinator is responsible to provide daily human resources administration support including recruitment, monthly payroll processing and benefits administration to all staff and lawyers of the firm.
Our ideal candidate will have HR generalist experience, full cycle payroll administration and comprehensive knowledge in benefits and pension programs.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Payroll administration involving full cycle payroll processing, payroll reconciliation and year-end processing.
- Oversee the administration of benefits, member enrolment, terminations, updates as well as pension administration.
- Participate in the firm recruitment processes; create and post jobs, create interview questions, interview and selection process, reference checks
- Coordinate the onboarding process for new hires which includes executing onboarding checklist, new hire start up, file creation and forms processing.
- Work on special projects and produce ad hoc documents/reports on absences, vacation , benefits, compensation, employee information as instructed by the Manager of Human Resources.
- Provide administrative support on the annual compensation review process, service awards, monthly performance review process, termination processing and salary surveys.
- Create firm communications and announcements as well as respond to daily employee inquiries.
- Maintain Attendance Spreadsheet as well as manage and maintain employee files on a daily/weekly basis.
- Produce employee letters such as offer letters, employment verification letters as well as miscellaneous Excel documents and reports.
- Participate in process improvement initiatives, office standardization, program and policy development, job description development, file management based on HR project plan and work priorities.
Our ideal candidate:
- Must be results oriented and demonstrate exceptional time management, organizational and follow up skills
- Must possess strong attention to detail and high level of accuracy
- Strong ability to exercise good judgement, make sound decisions, show initiative and be proactive
- Demonstrated high standards of ethics and confidentiality to handle sensitive information
- Must have strong verbal communication skills and ability to interact with all levels of internal and external stakeholders
- Has excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work under pressure of time, accuracy and constant interruptions
- Deadline and task oriented individual who acts with a sense of urgency
Key Qualifications and Education
Post secondary diploma or certification in human resources management and/or 2-3 years successful track record fulfilling human resources/payroll & benefit roles will be considered.
Level 1 or 2 CPA Payroll designation and/or working towards completion of payroll certification and/or 2-3 years of directly related experience.
Law industry experience, CHRP designation and previous experience with HRIS systems would be an asset.
Up to date knowledge on applicable payroll legislation and laws, employment standards legislation and compliance, HR practices and policies, pension and benefit programs.
Possess extensive experience and proficiency in Office 2010 Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
Flexibility to work overtime as needed to satisfy business needs.
What you will find at McLennan Ross:
- A highly professional environment that is built on a strong culture and spirit of teamwork
- Flexible work hours, engaging and lively social/staff committee
- One of our key differentiators is the high quality of service and commitment to our clients
We offer a challenging and progressive work environment together with an excellent salary/benefits package, including a matching pension plan and three weeks vacation the first year of employment.
Qualified and talented candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including career highlights that demonstrate a strong fit to our requirements to:
600, 12220 Stony Plain Road
Edmonton, AB T5N 3Y4
Fax: (780) 482-9100