Human Resources Manager
Reports to: Director of Operations
The Human Resources Manager will provide comprehensive HR support in the areas of employee relations, labor relations, recruitment/staffing, compensation, employment law/compliance, benefits, organizational effectiveness, talent management, and training and development.
The Human Resources Manager will report to the respective Director of Operations to serve as a strategic business partner to ensure high quality HR administration. The Human Resources Manager will work closely with the corporate HR department to ensure high quality HR administration.
- Respond to, manage, and bring employee relations issues to resolution.
- Investigate and resolve complex or high exposure employee complaints, issues and concerns regarding employment practices originating from various sources, including but not limited to grievances, Ethics & HR Hotline calls, general employee complaints, lawsuits, and complaints filed with federal, provincial and local agencies.
- Ensure execution of grievance and disciplinary policies and procedures and monitor to ensure fairness and consistency.
- Promote, monitor, and measure the effectiveness of employee relations activities.
- Ensure execution of employee relations programs/practices that create a positive organizational culture and enable management effectiveness.
- Coach employees and managers on performance management and execution of performance improvement plans.
- Facilitate the administration of the hourly and management performance appraisal processes.
- Ensure execution of all performance management programs and procedures, including but not limited to performance appraisals and performance improvement plans.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Ensure effective communication of compensation and benefits plans and policies to employees.
- Facilitate the hourly and management salary review processes.
- Ensure compensation and benefits are administered as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Identify staffing needs and participate in the interview and selection process for open management positions.
- Work with managers and drive the hourly recruitment and orientation/training processes.
- Ensure the utilization of hourly recruitment tools & templates.
- Minimize legal exposure and risks by educating and ensuring that management follows all applicable employment laws.
TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT
- Identify individual and location training and development needs.
- Facilitate classes and seminars.
- Ensure the execution/completion of training programs (face-to-face, computer based) as required.
SUCCESSION PLANNING/TALENT MANAGEMENT
- Create, regularly review, and revise the location’s succession plan.
- Facilitate, participate in, and develop action plans arising out of the succession planning process.
- Ensure legal compliance with any and all applicable laws.
- Investigate and respond to Division of Human Rights claims.
- Partner with internal and/or external legal counsel to prepare for and/or respond to lawsuits or complaints filed by outside agencies.
- Attend mediations, arbitrations, and other court proceedings.
- Develop and/or maintain Health and Safety related priorities and ensure compliance with governmental regulations.
COLLECTIVE BARGAINING/LABOR RELATIONS
- Ensure execution of union initiatives and assist in the management of union activity (where applicable).
- Participate in collective bargaining activities, including contract administration, grievance responses, arbitration preparation, negotiation preparation, and strike contingency planning.
COMPANY POLICY, MISSION, VISION, & VALUES ADMINISTRATION
- Manage the administration of all SSP HR policies and procedures.
- Cultivate leadership and ethical values in self and others through modeling and coaching.
- Provide effective and consistent messaging across the organization when communicating SSP’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Conduct data analysis, as needed.
- Identify causes of turnover and develop strategies to improve retention.
- Prepare monthly HR metrics for the location.
- Conduct needs analyses to identify and establish priorities regarding employee relations and human resource development activities.
- Provide input into the strategic HR planning process and help develop and shape organizational policy and decision-making.
OTHER GENERAL DUTIES
- Ensure execution of other initiatives as directed by Manager or required by Company
- Perform other HR related duties and administrative responsibilities as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year College or University (or equivalent experience).
- Ideally, will have human resources experience in one of the following industries: retail, hospitality, food or hotel/casino.
- Previous experience in a union environment.
- Experience in recruitment and succession planning/talent management
- Experience with UltiPro Payroll system.
- Ability to work under pressure with multiple deadlines and stakeholders in fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral presentation and written communication skills.
- Excellent task management, multi-tasking and problem solving skills.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook.