The GIS Specialist leverages GIS technology to manage and advance the Utilities Department’s GIS capabilities in support of a variety of strategic initiatives; develops and implements solutions for GIS and CAD systems, datasets and tools.
- Advances GIS capabilities to support water, wastewater, stormwater, solid waste and community energy initiatives
- Develops and leads technical projects to leverage GIS technology
- Identifies GIS opportunities to enhance utility infrastructure planning, engineering, budgeting, operations, maintenance and asset management
- Oversees the development and management of GIS and CAD data for county-wide water, wastewater and stormwater systems
- Ensures accessibility and use of department GIS and CAD datasets as well as provides technical support
- Collaborates with all County GIS stakeholders to ensure the interests and priorities of the Utilities department are represented and advanced.
- University degree in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Geography or Computer Sciences or a related field, with a minimum of two years of related work experience OR a two year diploma in GIS, with a minimum of five years related work experience
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to work well in a team environment
- Self-directed with strong analytical and project management skills
- Extensive knowledge of geographic principles and practices, GIS models and data development, spatial analysis and cartography
- Knowledge of SQL query, database scripting, structures and modelling
- Experience in developing Python scripts and geo-processing tools in ESRI ArcGIS
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- RCMP Criminal Record Check
The annual salary range for this permanent position is $68,505 to $85,631, working 35 hours per week.
Competition #119-2014-UTL closes Monday, June 20, 2014.
Strathcona County is a dynamic and vibrant community, located in Alberta's Capital Region. As a specialized municipality, Strathcona is made up of the urban area of Sherwood Park and a large adjacent rural area of farms, acreages and smaller hamlets. The County is also home to a major regional industrial area.
As one of Alberta’s fastest growing communities, Strathcona County manages many exciting challenges. With a focus on social, environmental and economic sustainability, Strathcona County is committed to balancing the unique needs of this diverse community.
Bring your strengths to our team!
At Strathcona County, we offer a competitive compensation package, flexible work hours and incredible career opportunities! This is a work environment you won’t find elsewhere.
To view the original job posting, please click on the below link: http://www.strathcona.ca/departments/human-resources/careers/current-career-opportunities/gis-specialist/