Join our team, and make a difference!
Nestled in the heart of beautiful Stanley Park, the Vancouver Aquarium is a nonprofit society internationally recognized as a leading visitor attraction, and one of Canada's foremost centres for aquatic education, research and conservation.
This position is responsible for performing Equipment maintenance tasks, cleaning, and general labour pertaining to animal life support systems and, to a lesser extent, building mechanical systems. The ideal candidate would be able to make accurate assessments of filter status and the cleaning schedule of filters.
This role is ideal for someone who enjoys physical, hands-on work and is also comfortable working around animal habitats.
Responsible for performing water quality testing and responding to out-of-parameter conditions by:
- De-chlorinating habitats with Sodium Thiosulfate;
- Preparing chemical solutions for use in adjusting habitat water quality.
Assist in the maintenance of the animal habitats by:
- Coordinating with animal husbandry staff to drain, rinse and fill animal habitats.
Responsible for operation and maintenance of filter system by:
- Assessing current filter system status;
- Gathering information on the operational influences in the system;
- Making decision on when the next wash should occur;
- Washing and cleaning filters;
- Maintaining filter elements by physically entering the filter vessel and disassembling and cleaning the components in Cl2 and acid baths.
Responsible for general maintenance of the department facility by:
- Unloading and warehousing DE filter media and other consumables and supplies;
- Assisting engineers with general repairs;
- Housekeeping including sweeping, mopping, washing equipment;
- Checking fire safety system components for signs of tampering and other issues weekly and monthly.
Assists in Emergency Protocol by:
- Being a First Responder for Chemical Spills;
- Participating in Emergency Preparedness and Response Drills and Tests;
- Maintaining and following organizational health and safety standards.
Assists with administrative tasks by:
- Assisting with maintaining an accurate inventory of refrigeration equipment and chemicals;
- Entering data related to seawater billing;
- Performing other clerical duties as required.
Consciously desires to improve the Vancouver Aquarium and its processes by:
- Continually improving our impact on the environment and greening of operations;
- Performing additional duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Some operational knowledge of animal life support systems preferred;
- Experience with small power tools and hand tools;
- Experience performing work that requires physical strength, stamina and good physical coordination;
- Completion of grade 12.
- Ability to use English to accurately communicate verbally and in writing;
- Ability to follow instructions accurately;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision for extended periods of time;
- Ability to learn, memorize and accurately carry out complex procedures;
- Ability to work safely in all situations, including with machinery, chemicals and in close proximity to wild animals;
- Ability to understand industrial processes and operate equipment;
- Ability to stay calm in emergency situations.
- Daily lifting of weights up to 22.5 Kg;
- Standing while performing most duties;
- Using personal protective equipment including respiratory eye and ear protection, gloves, hard hat Etc;
- Must be responsive to animal related requirements regardless of schedule. Must be flexible with shift changes including weekends, evenings and holidays;
- Most work is done in indoor locations however there is some outdoor work which requires weather or sun protection;
- Working with machinery or in close proximity to machinery in an industrial environment;
- Handling of chemicals;
- Frequent exposure to wet, humid, hot or cold environments;
- Environment often noisy requiring ear protection;
- Occasional work in confined spaces;
- Occasional use of SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus).
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please visit us online at the link below to apply to this exciting opportunity:
We look forward to receiving your application!