We are looking for an experienced Expedition Leader(s) to join our team onboard our 2014 sailing season. There are (2) two positions open for this role onboard the Sea Adventurer. One position commences June 2nd and the other commences August 12, 2014.
The Expedition Leader (EL) is responsible for the entire operation and safety of Adventure Canada’s expeditions. This is a demanding role and experience is essential. The individual must have experience in polar environments, familiarity with marine environments, expedition leadership and the ability to manage multiple people and projects simultaneously.
The EL must ensure that all on board and onshore arrangements are to the Company’s and the guest’s satisfaction. This involves assessing sea and weather conditions to determine suitable expedition landings, management of Zodiac operations, coordinating onshore guiding activities, understanding and reacting appropriately to animal behaviours (in particular polar bear and walrus), respond to emergencies, understand the obligations of the company with regard to CWS, CLEY and other regional permits and communicating all plans in a clear and calm fashion to guests aboard the vessel.
It is the EL’s responsibility, to ensure that the Expedition Cruise Department functions smoothly and works as a team. It is imperative that the EL work closely with the Cruise Director, Master, officers, crew and staff to ensure maximum comfort, safety and adventure for the Adventure Canada client.
Expedition Leaders must be enterprising, self-confident, independent-thinkers, highly motivated and organized individuals. The EL must inspire teamwork and have strong leadership skills. He/she should have mastered the art of driving Zodiacs and be able to think on his/her ‘feet.’ The EL must have the patience, skill and willingness to train new and existing team members.
The EL’s must be exceptionally good with people. Working with and motivating a team is a daily responsibility. He/she must also be flexible, charming, calm, friendly and unflappable. An individual with a perfectionist streak is highly desirable. Thoroughness and attention to detail is essential.
Close cooperation is required between the EL and Ship's Command (the Master and Staff Captain) to coordinate the daily itinerary from ship to shore. Due to the possibility of extreme weather (ice, swells, hurricanes, etc) the EL is responsible for working with the Ship’s Command to develop the safest plan of action for the duration of the sailing. Changes to sailing schedule will be made by EL and Ship’s command as needed on a day to day basis. For these reasons an understanding of the physical geography, history, flora and fauna and direct experience in the Canadian Arctic and Northwest Greenland is a must.
- 4+ years working as an Expedition Leader onboard an Expedition Ship in the Canadian Arctic and Greenland (Experience on the Sea Adventurer is an asset)
- 3+ years with ice navigation in each the Canadian Arctic and Greenland waters
- Destination knowledge and experience of the Canadian Arctic, and Greenland waters (both positions)
- Destination knowledge and experience with sailing navigation through the East Coast of Canada (Newfoundland, Labrador, Sable Island (Position 1)
- Working knowledge of firearms
- Working knowledge of polar bear and other wildlife safety related to firearms, etc
- Experience scouting unfamiliar/familiar polar terrain and territories for safe passenger landings
- Ability to read nautical maps and charting (electronically and on paper)
- Experience with crisis control management
- Experience with public speaking (especially under high pressure situations)
- Experience with briefing passengers on landing procedures and etiquette while
- Ability to manage a number of different projects simultaneously
- Creative and innovative thinking
- Discretion and the ability to manage matters of a confidential nature
- Ability to overcome language barriers and still maintain good levels of communication
- Computer literacy
Pleasure craft boating certificate (or equivalent)
Firearms acquisition license
Position 1 is from June 2nd-September 24th, 2014
Position 2 is from August 12th-28th, 2014
Please submit resume’s by June 25th, to hr(at)adventurecanada.com and indicate what position # you are applying for in the subject line.