Environmental Operations Manager
Utility Services Department
Environmental Services Branch
Posting No. 418(222)
The City of Saskatoon is an Employment Equity employer
1. Plans, schedules and supervises the solid waste collection and disposal systems operation to optimize the allocation of staff resources.
2. Plans, monitors and manages waste minimization operations and administration.
3. Manages assigned staff; hires, assigns work schedules, assesses staffing needs, identifies and pursues other resources if necessary. Plans and approves staff development. Conducts performance management, disciplinary action, layoff and recall, as required.
4. Ensures that work activities are performed in accordance with approved safety procedures and with operating standards and procedures.
5. Develops, implements and oversees capital projects related to waste and recycling.
6. Reviews and makes recommendations regarding operation procedures, equipment use and equipment specification.
7. Responds to enquires from City Council and the public, related to waste collection and disposal, including reports to Council.
8. Develops, implements and maintains the computerized collection fleet routing and global positioning systems.
9. Sets standards for new property development and approves building plans related to solid waste collection.
10. Carries out the conversion of rear lane to front street collection system, including public consultation/information process, site suitability assessment, container selection, tendering etc.
11. Supervises and monitors operation of all environmental protection processes at the Waste Management Centre (oil pit remediation, leachate collection system, gas emission/collection).
12. Assists with the investigations, planning and designing of solid waste management programs.
13. Assists with the preparation, control and monitoring of the operating budget.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Degree in civil or environmental engineering or a related field.
- Registered, or eligible for registration, as a Professional Engineer by the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan or related professional designation.
- Four to six years’ experience in the field of solid waste management.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, the Solid Waste Association of North America certification as a Certified Landfill Manager.
- Knowledge of the operation of municipal solid waste collection and disposal systems.
- Knowledge of safety practices, procedures and policies, including first aid, CPR and WHMIS.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with fellow employees, business people, special interest groups and private citizens.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, coordinate and direct the work of subordinates.
- Skill in the operation of a computer with Microsoft Office software.
$79,157 to $93,189 per annum (2012 rates)
For further information regarding this position, contact Human Resources.
Applications are to be received in Human Resources (City Hall) by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 2, 2013.