#13.08 - Director of Operations
This position is open to all qualified applicants.
Our Place Society is an organization with Christian values and principles. We work as a team to create a nurturing atmosphere of home and family, where all are welcome. A team approach is critical to living out our mission and values and directing our work.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations is a proactive and strategic member of the Our Place Team and is responsible for the day-to-day operations. As a key member of the Executive Team you will be part of providing visionary and transformational leadership.
Duties and Responsibilities
Program Planning and Delivery
- Oversees the delivery of the transitional housing, outreach, specialty programs, food services,building maintenance, security, volunteer programs and staff development.
- Evaluates programs on an ongoing basis, identifies community needs and recommends changes and additions to services in collaboration with the Executive Director and community partners.
- Provides regular status reports on operational matters as required.
- Develops and facilitates the implementation of an operational plan; participates in ongoing strategic planning.
- Ensures reporting requirements for all operational areas are fulfilled pertaining to contractual
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, keeps apprised of emerging issues and concerns, as it relates to operations at OPS, in the downtown core.
- Develops an understanding of the operations of other downtown service providers.
- Serves on committees and develops partnerships, as an Our Place representative, with other downtown service providers as required.
- Collaborates in the preparation of program budgets.
- Monitors and manages the overall operational budget, in consultation with the Director of
Finance and operational managers.
- Supports fund development personnel in identifying program funding and preparation of grant submissions.
Human Resources Management - within area of responsibility
- In collaboration with the Human Resources Department recruits, hires and trains direct reports.
- Oversees and advises direct reports on staffing requirements in accordance with budget.
- Oversees the performance management process by providing ongoing coaching, mentoring and feedback, both orally and in writing, to direct reports.
- Actively supports and nurtures the leadership development of Operational Management and staff.
- Implements all policies, procedures and practices (human resources, health & safety, security, etc.) of Our Place Society in a fair and equitable manner.
Qualifications - Education, Skills and Abilities
Education and Experience
The incumbent must possess:
- A post-secondary degree and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years senior management level experience.
- Demonstrated human resources and financial management expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with people of diverse personal, social and cultural backgrounds.
The incumbent will preferably possess:
- Experience working with the homeless and the hard to house and/or those with mental health and addictions issues in a non-profit organization.
- Management experience in a non-profit environment an asset.
- Experience working with first nations and other cultural groups.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to think proactively.
- Sound analytical and problem solving abilities.
- Demonstrated supervisory skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize workload and work under peak load pressure to ensure adherence to deadlines.
Due to the nature of operations a flexible schedule possibly including some weekends and evenings may be required.
All employees of Our Place Society must submit to a criminal record check prior to commencing employment.
If you feel you fit our profile and would like to join our organization please respond by email or mail or drop by in person by 4:30 p.m. August 9, 2013 to Our Place Society 919 Pandora Avenue, Victoria. BC V8V 3P4.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you!