Do you strive for excellence in product knowledge with the expertise to correctly gauge current and future market demands? How would you like to be the merchandising leader for a brand that is proudly represented by its products, culture, heritage, and customers? Our client began as a small family business in the 1960s in the U.S. and is making their mark as the outdoor lifestyle retail institution in Canada. Employees describe their co-workers as family and there is an overwhelming sense of pride for the company.
On behalf of our client, we are recruiting for a Director of Merchandising. Reporting to the Vice President of Operations for Canada, the Director of Merchandising is responsible for the supervision and leadership of the creation and management of the global category merchandise assortment plan for Canada. This includes sourcing, vendor negotiations, adding and costing of product, inventory management, selecting product assortments for all channels of business, vendor compliance and quality assurance issues, and departmental budgets. To establish, communicate and ensure that the company strategies and goals are met through the correct merchandise assortment while maximizing gross profit dollars and inventory turns.
The Director of Merchandising exhibits an enhanced understanding and demonstration of leadership competencies, business acumen and a proven track record of strong performance metrics. They lead and manage the departments under their areas of responsibility, set strategic direction and policies, and mentor and provide counsel to direct and indirect reports.
- Accountable for the coordination, development and execution of the Canadian merchandise strategy as it relates to brand definition, customer value proposition, marketing strategy and financial goals.
- Oversees the category pricing strategy, product lifecycle strategy and promotional calendar.
- Responsible for the development and execution of channel strategies and assortment for all pods reporting to them.
- Ensures assortment definition satisfies the merchandise, assortment and channel strategies.
- Ensures strategic and financial goals for product development of both private label and branded merchandise are met.
- Provides counsel to the merchandise and channel planning processes and development of inventory strategies.
- Ensure space planning decisions at the category level are clearly defined to achieve financial objectives.
- Responsible for the building and monitoring of the operational budget and provides guidance on long range financial plans.
- Provides counsel to the monthly performance review process including current business trends, market data, and competitive analysis to recommend course corrections.
- Responsible for the training and development of their direct and indirect reports.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree in business administration or related field.
- Ten or more years of management and leadership experience working in a multi-channel retail environment.
- Strong strategic, leadership and management skills with a focus on results.
- Solid computer skills including experience with ERP systems preferably SAP.
- Excellent problem solving skills with the ability to analyze results and respond effectively and efficiently.
- Knowledge and/or experience in outdoor activities and associated products.
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic, continuous improvement environment.
- Experience working in retail buying and merchandising in a retail environment.
This role will appeal to a self-directed leader that thrives on excellence in performance and who is passionate about delivering innovation, quality, and value in products and services. If you have the organizational and interpersonal skills, are energetic and a team player, and you are interested in learning more about this opportunity please forward your resume to Linda Beaudry through Indeed or call 204-336-6246.