Contributing to financial excellence is a key attribute of the Director, Corporate Accounting and Reporting role! Aligning the corporate accounting and reporting functions in support of the City’s strategic plans, The Way Ahead, requires advanced financial expertise combined with a strategic application of both regulatory compliance and leading business and management practices.
Reporting to the Branch Manager, Corporate Accounting and Treasury, the Director, Corporate Accounting and Reporting will oversee the Corporate Accounting and Reporting activities including the completion of the annual consolidated financial statements and production of the City of Edmonton Annual Report, citizens financial reporting, reporting to other government bodies, and reporting for reserves and investment funds to best meet the corporate and service objectives of the organization.
This role will…
- Provide professional advice to the Chief Financial Officer and Corporate Leadership Team (CLT), the Audit Committee and Council as well as related Boards and Authorities to ensure the integrity of financial accounting and reporting consistent with legislative and professional requirements
- Oversee the preparation and publication of the City of Edmonton’s Annual Report as well as consolidated financial statements and financial reporting of commodity tax and non-resident withholding tax
- Review and finalize financial statements for Pension Funds, Benefit Plans, Investment Funds and Non-profit Housing
- Manage, coordinate and maintain the contractual relationship with external auditors throughout the audit process
- Lead in developing and administering fiscal policies and directives to ensure the City’s financial integrity is optimized
- Manage the corporate accounting and reporting functions for the City of Edmonton by establishing processes and internal controls that ensure the financial information integrity, compliancy with the Municipal Government Act (MGA), generally accepted accounting principles (CICA, PSAB)
- Interpret and implement new accounting and reporting requirements
- Direct the corporate financial performance reporting process, comparing actual results and projections to budget
- Report issues, trends, risks, opportunities and recommend strategies monthly to CLT and quarterly to City Council. Integrate appropriate performance reporting for Boards and Authorities where required
We are seeking a highly qualified individual who has proven experience in applying their advanced financial accounting and reporting expertise in a large complex environment. This is very visible opportunity with huge impact that leads and empowers a team of professionals in the coordination and planning of complex financial reporting and analysis and work effectively with all levels of the organization including Audit Committee and City Council. The individual will also demonstrate key leadership and management competencies that will contribute towards a high functioning team.
Specific requirements for the position are:
- Recognized University Degree in Finance, Business Administration or in a related area is required
- Professional CA designation
- Progressive 10 years experience in business management in the field of accounting, auditing, financial reporting and analysis in a large complex organization with a minimum of 3 to 5 years at a senior level
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and financial statement preparation as pronounced by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants for commercial, non-profit and municipal entities as well as practical knowledge of provincial legislation (Municipal Government Act) and Excise Tax legislation
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving, and decision making skills to deal with complex financial and accounting issues
- Advanced interpersonal communication and presentation skills
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
Salary Range: 91M, Salary Grade: ML4, $106,495 - $152,139 (Annually)
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE ONLY at www.edmonton.ca/careers and search for Job# 11766
GREAT PEOPLE BUILDING A GREAT CITY
Booming economically, growing population, clean, safe and inclusive, the City of Edmonton shows that a...