Environmental Refuelling Systems (ERS) is an Alberta-based company specializing in high-demand, on-time remote fuel management. This dynamic growing company is looking for a Controller for our Edmonton operations.
This position manages the day-to-day operations of the accounting department for ERS and its subsidiaries within the scope of guidelines given by the VP of Finance. A primary objective is to ensure timeliness and accuracy of corporate financial information and reports.
- A bachelor’s degree in business is desirable. A financial/accounting degree with a designation: Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Management Accountant (CMA), or Certified General Accountant (CGA) is preferred; or equivalent education and experience.
- Comfortable working in a highly-technical environment:
0. A minimum of “intermediate” knowledge in all Microsoft Office programs (including Word and Outlook) and Internet Explorer; and, “advanced” Excel
1. Experience with MS NAV software is a strong asset.
2. Experience working in relational database software.
- A comprehensive understanding of Canadian GAAP (Accounting Standards for Private Enterprises in the CICA Handbook).
- Understanding of multi-company operations is an asset.
- 7–10 years of relevant experience as a Controller
- Strong knowledge and experience in oilfield transportation, logistics, and petroleum distribution or similar industries
- Able to work with confidential information
- Information systems (ERP) experience a strong asset
- Controllers must possess solid communication, analytical, and management skills:
0. A minimum of 3–5 years supervisory/leadership experience; supervising at least 5+ staff
1. Exceptional communication and organizational skills:
0. Written and oral communication
1. Always approachable and professional in approach
2. Able to keep several projects moving forward at once (multiple work priorities); ability to prioritize and delegate effectively to meet deliverables and timelines
2. Strong analytical skills; someone who seeks answers and solutions
3. A strong “team leader and player”
4. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
5. Adaptable to change
6. Capable of working in an unsupervised environment; proactive; doesn’t wait for instruction
7. An ability to look at a variety of manual processes and combine into a single start and finish approach.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- To plan, direct, and coordinate all accounting functions for ERS and its subsidiary companies and business units.
- To manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data necessary for accurate accounting of consolidated business results.
- Coordinating and preparing internal financial statements for ERS Group of Companies.
- Planning, organizing, and coordinating year-end close process including financial statement audit.
- Providing information for bank and other audits; overseeing regulatory reporting and compliance.
- Providing senior management with information for decision-making.
- Assessing current operations for internal controls, offering recommendations for improvement, and implementing new processes and procedures.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of all accounting and enterprise resource planning (ERP) software as it relates to accounting.
Supervising the hiring, training, and retention of competent accounting staff.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for sharing contract/agreement terms (from operations, corporate, and transport to and throughout the finance department).
- Supervise or assists with collections and cash flow preparation, as required.
- Assist with budget preparation and analysis of actual results to budget, as required.
- Special projects as directed by the VP of Finance.
- Annual salary (depending on skills and experience)
- Medical and dental benefits (after completing the probationary period)
- Profit-sharing bonus (after completing the probationary period; pro-rated in the first year)
Environmental Refuelling Systems Inc., is a family company commited to outstanding fuel management service to the industry.