The Communications Advisor:
- Is responsible for contributing to the development, implementation and measurement of the organization’s communications strategies and tactics to achieve increased public awareness and goodwill across a broad audience;
- Contributes to the development of an annual communications strategy for conservation, research and education programs, such as the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup, Ocean Wise and Marine Mammal Research;
- Leads execution of communications to raise awareness, increase visitation and direct action and enhance program brands;
- Develops and prepares communications plans, reports, briefs, presentations and media materials that serve to enhance the Vancouver Aquarium’s reputation and stature, increase the number of visitors and engage consumers;
- Serves as project manager, editor and writer for publications/stories in print and digital formats, including social media. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of communications programs.
The communications advisor works within the External group, as part of the Communications team, and will work closely with Conservation, Research and Education, Marketing, Member Services, Events, Content, Animal Operations, as well as partners, external consultants, volunteers and staff throughout the Aquarium.
Develops proactive communications plans by:
- Planning, leading and measuring outcomes of communications plans that support the organization’s goals and objectives, specifically in conservation, research and education;
- Contributing to the development of an annual editorial strategy and leads execution of the editorial calendar to plan story pitches and promotional/brand positioning opportunities;
- Leading communications for the Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup, Ocean Wise and Marine Mammal Research;
- Providing communications counsel and messaging to respond to issues;
- Developing and preparing communications plans, reports, briefs, presentations and media materials that serve to enhance the Aquarium’s reputation and stature and increase the number of visitors and/or engaged consumers.
Leads and executes annual editorial plan by:
- Planning, managing and measuring communications outcomes—including the Aquarium’s
e-newsletter and Aquablog—to raise awareness and enhance the Aquarium’s reputation, stature and mindshare;
- Developing an annual editorial plan and research, drafts and edits stories.
Serves as Project Manager, Editor and Writer by:
- Developing briefing notes, speaking points, backgrounders, messages, and other reference materials to support senior leaders as Aquarium representatives;
- Managing, editing and writing for publications and reference materials in print and digital;
- Managing the use of digital media tools.
Leading Media relations activities by:
- Developing media pitches and connects with media on key opportunities;
- Planning, managing and measuring media outcomes to ensure media targets are met;
- Conducting or assigning tours of the facility for media;
- May serve as media spokesperson for the organization; (On occasion, where no designated Aquarium spokesperson is available)
- Rotating, on-call 24/7 to respond to media inquiries.
Education and Experience
- Five to eight years of marketing and communications experience;
- Undergraduate degree in communications or journalism;
- Experience in communications planning, execution and measurement;
- Skilled in media relations and issues management;
- Hands-on team player with excellent people skills;
- Superior organizational ability and time management skills;
- Ability to multi-task while maintaining highest standards of accuracy and quality;
- Ability to deal with time pressures in a calm and organized manner;
- Superior writing and speaking ability.
- Excellent relationship building skills to develop strong relations with persons at all levels within and external to the organization;
- Comfort and confidence in working with senior corporate executives;
- Proven communications, marketing and promotion skills;
- Strong ability to inspire the confidence and trust of sponsors and partners;
- Outstanding written, oral communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to work with a high degree of discretion and tact in handling confidential matters;
- Detail oriented and accurate in execution, ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision;
- Thrives in a fast-paced work environment, maintains a positive frame of mind and sets an example of professionalism for other employees;
- Demonstrated analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
- Advanced level MS Office.
- Role requires the ability to display discretion, tact and diplomacy;
- Role requires a high level of confidentiality;
- Role requires attention to details while understanding the strategic direction of the operation;
- Role requires the ability to meet timelines and deadlines, and to work under pressure.
- Rotating, on-call 24/7 to respond to media;
- Working in the public forum;
- Normal office environment with usual conditions, though may be called on to work in various off-site locations;
- May be required to occasionally work in the evening and/or weekend for event(s) and media cultivation
If you would like to submit an application for this posting please do so via our online application process at http://www.vanaqua.org/join/careers. Once you have completed your application it will be directed to the appropriate hiring manager.
Indeed - 9 months ago