Under the supervision of the pharmacy manager and/or pharmacy supervisor, performs all duties necessary to provide for the efficient daily clinical operation of the pharmacy, providing quality products and services to infusion therapy patients.
DUTIES AND RESPONIBILITIES
- Ensures compliance with federal, provincial, and local laws and regulations, policies and procedures and accrediting body standards.
- Obtains, interprets, and evaluates all physicians medication orders to assure therapeutic appropriateness, cost effectiveness, accuracy and completeness.
- Accurately maintains all legally required records.
- Assists in training and orientation of new employees.
- Provides technical and clinical information and communicates results of monitoring activities to patients, nurses and physicians as required regarding the contents, utilization, therapeutic actions, possible adverse reactions or interactions of drugs.
- Initiates, reviews and updates all Bayshore required documentation per Policy and Procedure (P&P)
- Follows established procedures for drug and supply procurement and maintains appropriate inventory levels and preferred product selection of drugs, solutions and supplies.
- Performs and documents compounding checks and double checks per P&P.
- Prepares and/or checks infusion supply orders for patients
- Prepares and/or checks equipment programming eg. infusion pumps
- Prepares and/or checks compounding sheets for compounding
- Adheres to stability and compatibility guidelines and quality control procedures.
- Performs accurate computer order-entry, labeling and dispensing in accordance with College of Pharmacist regulations.
- Participates with nurses and physicians in all clinical activities as required.
- Participates in Performance Improvement activities, educational programs and departmental/branch meetings.
- Drives the Primary Case Management Model (PCMM) in daily interactions through the delegation of non-cognitive activities such as (but not limited to) lab tracking to support personnel, ordering only clinically necessary and cost effective labs and facilitation of positive patient outcomes with patients, nursing agencies and other healthcare providers.
- Works cohesively with and delegates appropriately to other team members including admissions, staff and production pharmacists, home patient representatives, clinical support specialists and pharmacy technicians.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Coordinates laboratory interactions and schedule and obtains, documents, and communicates lab results to appropriate departments. Records lab results on tracking and trending documents
- Assists with tracking and obtaining narcotic/controlled substance prescriptions.
- Communicates with patients to obtain medication profile updates.
- Documents all communications in the Patient Medical Record (PMR) and obtains co-signatures from a nurse or pharmacist that relate to patient care.
- Maintains generic prescriptions as required.
- Notifies the Case Manager when additional therapies are required or if there are changes in the therapies.
- Reviews all new charts to ensure that all necessary paperwork is included.
- Gathers outcome monitoring data and prepares reports and summaries as required.
- Monitors selected measures of department performance, standards, and scoreboards, and reports results.
To perform this job successfully, as an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelors Degree (BSc) in Pharmacy or a PharmD, from an accredited college or university; plus preferably one year experience in an IV alternate site environment or equivalent work experience.
Licensed with Provincial College of Pharmacists to be able to provide direct patient care (Part A in Ontario)
**Applicants must be willing to work a variety of shifts as we are open 365 days a year**
Apply by email through Indeed or fax at 905-474-3127
Indeed - 7 months ago