TO APPLY GO TO http://www.ucalgary.ca/careersuofc/ DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AD.
Job ID # 3875
Job Title: Caretaker
Faculty/Admin Area: Facilities Management & Development
Department/Unit: Operations & Maintenance
Job Family: General
Development Phase: Phase II
The Facilities Management is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Caretaker.
Operations and Maintenance (O&M) department, as a part of Facilities Management, is responsible to ensure that building structures and systems for all University owned and leased properties are operated and maintained in a reliable, efficient and cost effective manner to ensure a safe and comfortable work environment in which campus users can carry out their activities.
The Caretaking department is responsible to provide a professional, efficient and cost effective cleaning service to the campus building. The Caretaking staff carries out a variety of duties from light dusting to floor scrubbing using heavy machines. Work is carried out on a 24-hour basis, 365-days per year.
Supervision is provided by an in-scope Supervisor.
This position is a part of the AUPE Collective Bargaining Unit. The normal shift is 7.5 hours per day, five days per week. Staff will be required to work a variety of shifts, including days, afternoons, nights, weekends and paid holidays. Transfer to other shifts, with notice, is a possibility. There is a potential for emergency callouts. Heavy lifting and use of ladders are required.
Primary Purpose of the Position (Key purpose, functions, roles):
Staff at this level is expected to manage their own schedule, to carry out duties for area assigned and to have the required knowledge and capability to perform complete cleaning routines according to established standards and frequencies. Staff is expected to be completely knowledgeable of and work with a variety of cleaning products, chemicals, and equipment.
There is potential for exposure to hazardous materials in labs and classrooms. Employees will be entering private offices and workspaces of others----a high level of trust, confidentiality and discretion are expected. Observation of work area to identify repair work required, emergency situations or security risks is expected.
- Completion of a level of education equivalent to minimum Grade 10.
- While previous Caretaking experience would be an asset, on the job training is provided.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to read, speak and thoroughly comprehend English language. Candidates shall have their English language skills assessed at the time of the interview.
- Must have a good physical health and endurance and have the strength and stamina to lift up to 25 lbs, carry heavy materials and perform repetitive physical tasks involve: bending, stretching, walking and kneeling.
- Must be able to work with tools and equipment ranging from simple hand-held tools to simple motorized equipment following established procedures.
- Must be able to climb ladders to a maximum height of 10 feet.
- Must be safety conscious and wear required safety equipment when on the job.
- Must have the ability to communicate with co-workers and the general public in a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Must be able to work alone or with others.
- Must take responsibility for completing assigned tasks.
- This position would not be suitable for someone with plant, dust or chemical allergies.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Ensuring area assigned is cleaned and well maintained to the standards specified and training received.
- Ensuring that items requiring repair or maintenance, security or safety matters, unusual conditions or additional cleaning requirements for the assigned area are brought to the attention of the supervisor for follow up.
- Accepting shift assignments, ensures regular work attendance and timely reporting for start of shift.
- Ensuring that equipment used is properly cleaned and that equipment, supplies and tools are properly secured at the end of the shift.
- Ensuring that keys assigned are used only for the purpose issued, and that they will be kept secure from sign-out to return.
- May be required to cover duties of Lead Hand or co-workers as required.
- Responsible to become familiar with all existing University structures and systems, as well as acquire knowledge of new trends, techniques, codes and equipment as they become relevant to the operation of the University.
- Ensuring that equipment, workspaces, and tools supplied by the University are used for their intended purposes, and are maintained in a safe working order.
- Managing own time effectively and ensures immediate supervisor is kept informed of activities, and progress of work.
- Pleasantly and respectfully interacts with co-workers, supervisors, contractors, consultants, suppliers, students and other members of the University community.
- Discretion, confidentiality, and attention to detail are required attributes.
- Is expected to actively participate in own training and development in coordination with the department, and is willing to learn and adapt to change.
- Meeting all ongoing OHS initiatives, follows University OHS policies, procedures and OHS Legislation as required; ensuring personal, public and co-worker safety when completing tasks or engaging in potentially hazardous situations.
- Is familiar with the University of Calgary "Statement on Principles of Conduct" and conducts himself/herself according to these Principles in all situations when acting on behalf of the University of Calgary.
- Ensuring regular work attendance and timely reporting for start of shift.
- Ensuring that personal hygiene, attire and grooming are appropriate for the work environment.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the General Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about our competitive salaries and benefits, and why we are a great place to work and learn, please see: www.ucalgary.ca/careersuofc.
About U of C
The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university located in the nation's most enterprising city. The university has a clear strategic direction - Eyes High - to become one of Canada's top five research universities by 2016, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community of Calgary. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary respects, appreciates, and encourages diversity.
- Location: University of Calgary
- Compensation: This is based on the Job Family/Development Phase.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.