FPInnovations is among the world’s largest private, non-profit research centers working in forest research. The organization helps the Canadian forest industry to develop path breaking solutions based on the unique attributes of Canada’s forest resources, favoring a sustainable development approach and taking full advantage of the industry’s considerable scientific, technological and commercial capital.
Under the supervision of the Team Leader, Building Services, the Building Operator operates and maintains the facilities, grounds and building equipment and assists the Team Leader with project-specific maintenance and facilities support. This is a hands-on role that performs regular preventative maintenance on various equipment including HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, electrical and life safety systems. The Building Operator will also be responsible for the interior and exterior maintenance and appearance of the building premises.
- Operate and maintain building facility and equipment including programming computerized air handling and heating systems (HVAC) and maintaining, testing and repairing fire safety systems
- Operate and maintain the high pressure steam boiler and all of the associated components
- Identify and correct health and safety concerns in the buildings and on the grounds and act as a resource for resolving health and safety committee concerns
- Support research departments by installing, maintaining and modifying building and lab equipment including running power, welding, fabricating and modifying components, monitoring warranty and deficiency claims related to the building and equipment, and ensuring appropriate maintenance of materials, tools and supplies
- Perform grounds and facilities maintenance for appearance and upkeep
- High school or technical school education plus completion of journeyman level apprenticeship training and Minimum 5th class Power Engineering (or equivalent level of education and experience)
- Good problem solving skills and mechanical aptitude
- Experience in a lab environment preferred
- Strong communication and customer service skills
- Ability to draw, read, and interpret plans, blueprints etc.
- Willing and able to work overtime in the event of emergencies and be available for on-call duties outside of regular working hours