The Banquet Server's main duty is service of food and beverage items for various reception and dinner functions, while creating memorable experiences for our guests. Additional areas of responsibility include clearing of tables at the completion of functions and ensuring all items including linens and equipment are returned to their respective areas. Servers must also ensure that all spills and breakage are attended to immediately. Gathering all equipment necessary to service a function and maintaining a clear and immaculate bussing station is also required of our banquet associates.
Provides excellent customer service to guests by:
- Amazing, engaging and inspiring the guests by sharing your knowledge of the animals at the Aquarium;
- Taking food orders and serving guest specific meals or beverages; ensuring all guest’s needs are taken into consideration;
- Serving guests in an efficient, professional, and courteous manner; ensuring that guest’s receive the correct order.
Helps maintain cleanliness at events by:
- Using trays to serve and bus food and beverage items where logistically appropriate;
- Keeping service rooms, pre-function space, and storage areas are kept clean, organized and unobstructed;
- Servicing meeting rooms by emptying trash, removing dirty plates, cups, linens and glasses, and replace as necessary, straightening chairs and replenishing water requirements as specified or requested;
- Maintaining a clean and pressed uniform;
- Maintaining a clean and groomed appearance at work.
Helps staff at events by:
- Setting up, servicing and tearing down of events as per each Banquet Event Order or as given by Banquet Coordinators;
- Moving risers, dance floors and lecterns.
Follows policies and procedures by:
- Following the direction of the Catering and Events Management;
- Following the procedures and guidelines of the Vancouver Aquarium;
- Adhering to BC LCLB rules, regulations and guidelines;
- Adhering to the work safe practices of the Vancouver Aquarium;
- Adhering to the Vancouver Aquarium’s Environment Management System’s guidelines when it comes to “green” work practices.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum 1 year of experience in high volume, high end banquet or restaurant service;
- Serving it Right Certificate is required;
- Food Safe Certificate is required;
- Hepatitis A shot is required.
- Excellent Customer Service Skills;
- Proven ability to work alone or in a team;
- Able to follow directions and work with time constraints and with limited supervision;
- Able to work under pressure;
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills;
- Working knowledge of Outlook or other email programs; needs to be able to access email (for scheduling purposes);
- Able to carry a minimum of 3 plates at a time;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Knowledge of another language is an asset.
- Carrying loads of items up to 30lbs at a time;
- Standing on one’s feet for numerous hours;
- Works a variety of shifts including weekends, early morning, evenings, holidays and very late nights;
- Shirts provided, but must have own black pants & shoes for events; following the uniform guidelines of the Catering and Events Department.
Indeed - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard