Job Posting Title
Our employees help Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities. We are one of Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and Best Employers for New Canadians. Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020. You too can make a difference by applying for the following opportunity.
Accounting Services, Financial Services Group
August 30, 2013
Temporary Full Time
CUPE Local 15 Bargaining Unit (VMECW)
Position Start Date
September 09, 2013
Position End Date
August 31, 2014
Pay Grade 27: $37.11 to $43.85 per hour
Main Purpose & Function
The position will assist with preparation and monitoring of annual budgets, planning cash flow requirements, analysis of returns on business decisions and other analysis as required. As part of the Financial Planning and Analyst Team, this position is responsible for preparing annual, quarterly and monthly operating reports, complex financial analyses as it relates to a specific business area.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Reporting on financial variances, actuals from plan/budget on a monthly & quarterly basis
- Supports the overall management and coordination of the financial position of a specific business area (planning, controlling and monitoring)
- Supporting the Assistant Manager of Operating budgets, providing support on Financial Implications of reports going for approval, direction and/or decisions from senior leaders
- Monitoring of annual revenue and expenditure against the budget, analyze and report on financial and budgetary implications of departmental activities, assists with negotiations
- Re-forecasting the current year revenue and expenditure budget and providing support to business areas on future forecasts and cost implications
- Conducts reviews and studies and prepares complex analyses on financial issues
- Ensures compliance with established policies and procedures for the proper accounting and recording of transactions, program and project costing, and cost allocation. Liaises with corporate finance analysts and branch or department management on budget to monitor project costs
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Professional accounting designation (CA, CGA or CMA) combined with a university degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of progressive related finance experience in a large organization, preferably within the public sector and union environment
- Experience working with advanced complex financial systems such as an ERP system
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of general accounting
- Good working knowledge of fund accounting, budgeting, costing and financial reporting requirements (PSAB)
- Ability to prepare working papers, summaries and reports.
- Effective problem solving ability supplemented by strong analytical and organizational skills
- Service oriented approach to providing assistance and advice to internal and external customers
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with PC applications (specifically Microsoft Office)
To apply, please visit www.vancouver.ca/jobs. Only online applications will be accepted.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Vancouver is an Equal Opportunity Employer.