deviantART, Inc. is looking for a talented software engineer to join the rest of our backend team in Vancouver, BC.
We are an Alexa top-150 site and home to the largest arts community on Earth, with tens of millions of users and hundreds of millions of works of art. Our small backend team is responsible for the systems that power deviantART.com, as well as for designing next-generation technologies for content discovery and delivery. As the newest member of this team, you'll be working directly with other engineers and data scientists; you will not have to report to any non-technical managers.
deviantART's Canadian office is located in the vibrant Gastown district of downtown Vancouver. If you like the idea of working in a historic brick-and-timber office within seconds of walking, cycling, and rapid transit connections, and with stunning ocean and mountain views, then we think you'll enjoy it here!
Please note that applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada in order to be considered for this role.
We're looking for someone who can:
- contribute to the design, development, monitoring, and maintenance of core backend systems
- take ownership of developing our continuous integration and deployment processes
- help us manage our growing volume of search index data
Here's a sample of what our backend team has done lately:
- built a recommender system drawing on each of our hundreds of millions of unique works of art
- launched a new algorithm for automatically identifying and promoting high-quality art from the more than 100,000 pieces submitted each day
- designed a faceted browse system that dynamically adapts to users' search queries in real time
- developed a service that transparently reuses connections to our MySQL servers in order to reduce * overhead and improve throughput without requiring changes to client code
- configured a cluster for running massively distributed "big data" analysis jobs
You're a great fit for us if you have:
- a demonstrable ability to write robust, testable code in C++/Java and PHP/Python, and to debug problems using gdb/strace/tcpdump in a nix environment
- experience with automated software deployment (including source control systems, compilers and linkers, Linux package management, and automated deployment tools)
- a solid understanding of relational database systems (e.g., MySQL) and exposure to NoSQL technologies (e.g., Hadoop/HBase)
- an interest in information retrieval techniques; experience working with Lucene/Solr search infrastructure is ideal, as is knowledge of algorithms for machine learning/data mining/computer vision
- a degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
We enjoy looking at code samples. Please include links to your live projects, github accounts, etc.
Salary and potential stock option packages commensurate with experience; benefits including extended health and RRSP contribution plans.
Please apply directly on our website: