Volunteer Position Description
Driver-Guide – Staff or Volunteers
Coordinator, Volunteer Services
Provide community-based support: drive service staff and/or volunteers who are blind or partially sighted and are travelling on CNIB business.
Responsibilities & Tasks:
- Confirm week’s schedule with supervisor
- Drive staff person or volunteer to destination(s); provide sighted guide and sighted assistance as needed
- Track and report mileage as directed
- Track and report volunteer hours as directed
- Do not conduct client, volunteer or staff person’s personal errands while on CNIB business.
Skills and Training:
- Excellent driving skills; clean driving record, valid driver’s license, minimum $1 million liability insurance (if driving own car)
- Patient, empathetic and friendly
- Reliable and organized
- Orientation, including: About CNIB, About the people we help, About vision loss, and About volunteering at CNIB.
- Training specific to the position, including: sighted guide
- Minimum 19 years old.
- Minimum six months
- 2-4 hours per week during office hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm as scheduled with staff
- Agree to abide by CNIB’s Volunteer Code of Conduct, including policies and procedures concerning confidentiality, conflict of interest, and the prevention of workplace harassment and violence.
Level 4: long application form and interview, orientation, two character references, police record check with vulnerable sector check, copy of driver's license, abstract and insurance
Supervision and Ongoing Screening:
One-month probation period. Supervisor available for ongoing support and training. Updated copies of driver’s license, abstract and insurance must be provided annually.
- Make a difference for people who are blind or partially sighted
- Develop or use experience and skills in driving, client service.
- Be part of a dedicated and passionate staff and volunteer team working to further CNIB’s mission.
- Reference or confirmation of hours upon request, after 3 months’ successful participation as a volunteer.