Zurich North America

Zurich North America Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great organization where you can sharpen your financial skills
Business Intern (Former Employee), Hong Kong, HKIFebruary 25, 2013
Do not know well because I worked in Asia. Great organization where you can sharpen your financial skills
Same as previous
Property Claims Specialist II (Former Employee), Colorado SpringsFebruary 18, 2013
Same as previous review i have already posted, must be an error in the system? Good company, lower pay, always looking to cut costs, but not untypical.
Very fast-paced environment, working with brokers, account executive, and insured's
Governance Performance Analyst (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: employee benefits- global industry
Cons: healthcare
Never a typical day in the role of a Governance Analyst. Work closely with outsourced team in India and Poland through reporting, emails, and weekly conference calls.
Great co-workers
The ability to create, assist, and resolve are the most enjoyable aspects of this job.
Enjoyed my career with Zurich NA
WC Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, Ga.February 11, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: unable to socialize with vendors
Begins at 7:00am
Updates on WC Laws
Micro-management
Great co-workers
Balancing work and home life
Resolving Claims
Enlightening place w/nice surroundings.
Underwriting Assistant (Former Employee), Omaha, NEFebruary 1, 2013
Pros: a cafeteria.
Cons: the company has no diversity at all.
I was never bored. I learned something new each day in all aspects. My closest associates at work were very kind and experienced.
Productive and challenging work environment
Processing Technician (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 30, 2013
Zurich was a great place to work. I felt challenged in my work and that was rewarding. I learned about the different facets of the insurance industry. During my time there I received a Bronze Award for my work.
This used to be a good company
Manager (Former Employee), Omaha, NEJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: empolyees who care
Cons: senior management that only cares about this quarters bonus.
Zurich in Omaha used to be a good place to work. Only thing left is some nice employees. Speculation is that Zurich wants to close the Omaha office as there are about 1/2 the people there compared to when I started. Zurich seems to be working an active plan to move jobs to Schamberg and KC, and out of Omaha.

The have eliminated some very good IT systems – more... and replaced them with outsourced systems from corporate supported from india that are huge steps backward making it much harder to get the work done. When employees complained how bad the systems were, they were told to 'get or board' or you will be fired. One senior claims examiner refered to the new systems as 'horrible'.

Senior management only seems to care about their short term bonuses, and moral is terrible. Employees are treated more as cost centers than as employees.

Most good employees are actively looking for new positions outside the company. Claim examiners routinely have far more claims than they are supposed to, making it an impossible task to take care of customers.

Stay away from this place and all of Zurich if you can. It's truely sad to see how Swiss management has ruined what used to be a good place to work. – less
No job security
Customer Service (Former Employee), Overland ParkJanuary 23, 2013
Pros: some nice people remaining from the uug days. decent pay.
Cons: zurich is ruthless and unfair in management and hr matters.
When it was Universal Underwriters, it was the best place I'd ever worked. When Zurich took over, it became one of the worst. There is no job security. Watch your back, because it becomes survival of the nastiest. Managers advise you to keep your resume up to date. Management doesn't do much. Some get ahead by sleeping with their bosses. Certain small – more... groups are protected by management, while other good workers are sacrificed. – less
Productive work place
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: work at your own pace
Cons: huge work load
Support, manage, and oversee multiple offices within a geographic zone with the focus of managing, analyzing and implementing cost containment measures and operational processes in support of ZNA Global platform.
My job duties were to over see the activity and do the financials for IBS and IBSIA.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: i enjoyed the job and the people.
Cons: the work hours were too long for a family with 3 small children.
The average day included reviewing reports, and going over journal entries to watch activity on accounts, working with other departments when there were discrepancies to find the solutions.

The work duties were never completely defined because the entire accounting department worked together and helped others when we had extra time and vice versa.
Enjoy working with this company
Claims Data Processor - Insurance Claims (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILJanuary 11, 2013
I have good memories working with insurance industry for around 7 years, and also i learned a lot working with my co-workers, and my boss was a good person to work with!!
Poor management, poor benefits, poor training
CCPI -Auto, Worker's Comp and Bill Inquiry (Former Employee), Colorado Springs, CoJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: free coffee, company paid lunch once a month
Cons: pretty much everything
managers and team leads are never around when you need help, but they are sure quick to complain and write you up if you make a mistake. Every person that does quality on your calls is different, one tells you to do it one way, another tells you to do it her way... either way ... you get marked off. One male manager spends his day just walking around – more... talking to females. You would think a major company like this would have better management, better pay and better benefits!! – less
Great Investment Company
Senior Field Representative (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CADecember 3, 2012
Outstanding investment and insurance company. Qualified personnel providing leadership in the financial and insurance services industry.
Zurich is a good place to work
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Schaumburg, ILNovember 29, 2012
Pros: production, talent and expertise respected and utilized.
Cons: project was ended before launch.
My position was two-fold. I was Executive Assistant to two Managers and was Project Coordinator for a Web-Based Compliance Database. My typical admin duties included meeting planning, PowerPoint presentation creation, heavy international travel arrangements, calendar, dictation/transcription, troubleshooting, etc. As Project Coordinator, I wrote and – more... illustrated a data entry users manual, supervised data entry staff and coordinated relevant tasks with my Managers and other staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the project go forward. Unfortunately, just prior to 'launch', funding was rescinded and the department was eliminated. The two managers and I were kept on to the very last because of my dual role (admin and project) supporting both.. – less
Busy and entertaining
Collateral Operations Analyst (Current Employee), Schaumburg, ILNovember 28, 2012
Pros: people, work atmosphere, busy schedule
Cons: lay offs seem to occur every 2 years, job security is at a minimum
Everyday can be something different which makes sure the job does not become slow. I work with a great group of people who make the day enjoyable. The work is always coming in so we have plenty to do.
Horrible company, Risk Eng., West Coast
Risk Engineer (Former Employee), West Coast (California)November 18, 2012
Pros: good compansation, ie, salary, not benefits
Cons: everything...though knowing zurich "change (should) happenz."
I used to work for Risk Engineering on the West Coast and I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for the current management, especially the regional mgr. for commercial lines. Lots of politics, back stabbing, power struggle, the ol' boy network from Maryland rules here! The current mgr shows very poor people, mgmnt and technical skills and stays in power – more... becuase of the regional director, as they both worked for the same company in the past - lot of nepotism here! A few employees quit in this economy as they didin't want to work for him! And, sadily, management in Schaumburg doesnt see the writing on the wall. The company in the past used to offer excellent benies, now they are horrible and the joke is that one day Zurich will ask you to pay for working here! In spite of horrible benies, the compansation was very good! But bonus, sadly, was based on nepotism and sucking up to mgmnt. I knew one engineer, a top notch, quit because of the current mgr. And others followed...Coupled with a few engineers quitting, the company had a lay-off when they starated writing a lot of real estate biz w/ big PMLs this past summer! Go figure! The new system, GREW, is a joke, cost lots of money, and doesn't work! They need to re-engineer, get rid of nepotism - especially on the West Coast - and ISO, which is holding back engineers who focus inwardly rather outwordly, ie, on customers. Also, lots of paper work, compliance courses that have to be done online on your time! In short, a lot of red tape, as Zurich has a procedure for everything - you ask your mgr and are told: "Look in procedures manual." That's why Zurich can't be competitive on pricing w/ other carriers! It just takes to much time to bypass the red tape! Good luck! – less
Fast paced environment
Claims Manager II (Current Employee), Omaha, NENovember 17, 2012
Very fast paced work environment, days go by very fast. Typical day involves reviewing and approving requests for authority and coverage letters. Mentoring and training staff. Keeping up with new laws that effect my team.
Great place to work!
Underwriting Intern (Former Employee), Orlando, FLNovember 16, 2012
No complaints whatsoever. Very fun environment and great culture. Best job hands down!
great benefits!
Customer Service Account Specialist (Former Employee), Overland Park, KSNovember 15, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: corporate issues
great company to work for and great Benefits. Company really cares about your needs.
Poor Quality in Managers - Terrible Morale
Undewriting (Former Employee), ILNovember 14, 2012
Pros: jeans on fridays
Cons: high stress environment, terrible employee morale
Limited opportunties for advancement, regardless of number of years of experience. Company only values college degree, regardless of industry related or not -- such as a piece of paper in psychology or art history is valued over years of working knowledge.
Company gives great speeches on culture and values, but does not live up to the speeches.
Annual – more... reviews are biased, management adds comments AFTER employee comments, with no opportunities for employees to respond. Common knowledge in company that set quota of employees that are forced to lower annual rankings, regardless of actual performance. (Often referred to "russian roulette" - no matter how hard you work, you just may get the bullet, whether or not you deserve it). Creates a high stress, low morale environment.
Constant, daily push to donate to charities under company name to promote company. Company laying off employees for past several years. – less

About Zurich North America

Zurich Insurance Group (Zurich) is a leading multi-line insurance provider with a global network of subsidiaries and offices in – Read more

Zurich North America Photos