Director, Businesses Development, Venture Fund – IT/Web Start up. Canada and International
Director level position within a small venture capital fund start up (IT/Web)
Director of Business Development will lead and oversee the development and growth of new business, and develop and maintain effective key strategic partnerships. This position will be responsible for all aspects of cultivating and managing new business relationship, with both: perspective investors as well as acquisition targets. The successful candidate will coordinate numerous inside and outside resources to develop a growth strategy and approach for each start up firm investment that they can potentially source. This role will fully understand all aspects of the firms' venture capital strategy and leverage tools, support and best practices to expand the firm's relationships and wallet share within their target segment assignments. The ideal candidate will have strong strategic abilities combined with significant venture fund/private equity experience and the ability to facilitate the tactical planning and execution process with a variety of stakeholders and resources throughout the firm. Origination of opportunities, due diligence, and appraisal of investment opportunities would also form part of this positions responsibilities. This is a really diverse and exciting role where you will act as a mentor/driver for a specific project topic and will be responsible for developing a revenue and sponsors for that specific business.
- Identifies trendsetter ideas by researching industry and related events, publications, and announcements; tracking individual contributors and their accomplishments
- Locates or proposes potential business deals by contacting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities
- Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with company strategies and operations; examines risks and potentials; estimates partners' needs and goals
- Closes new business deals by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations
- Protects organization's value by keeping information confidential
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; explores opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Conducts an extensive research into the size, growth, and direction of potential markets focusing on finding and evaluating market opportunities
- Develops target profiles and market penetration strategy
- Evaluates and develops business models
- Consults on funding strategies
- Conducts research and approach of potential investor/investee/partner companies and create a prioritized coverage model
- Builds and maintains strong future business pipelines and forecasts associated to substantiated opportunities
- Interacts with staff to collaboratively address the venture/start up marketplace in a coordinate fashion
- Prepares and facilitate presentations, proposals
- Identifies and leads a coordinated, cross functional team to pursue all aspects of the venture relationship in collaboration with other team members
- Drives overall expansion and penetration of priority venture capital clients and targets
- Understands each venture/start up firm's strategic plans and business strategy (industry, exit strategy etc.)
- Facilitates the development of strategic marketing and new business plans for all assigned partners to meet or exceed assigned business goals
- Works with Principals to identify opportunities and create demand through lead generation activities and target selling strategies
- Develops and maintains relationships with global counterparts to leverage corporate initiatives
- Monitors partners business results, making recommendations for improvements to increase penetration for the strategic partners
- Demonstrated track record developing and managing joint business/venture partnerships and driving business activity
- Investigates the economic conditions surrounding the business activity, such as industry trends and competition.
- Defines strategies, and tactics. Evaluates and manages new strategic business opportunities, initiatives, mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, alliances and/or joint ventures.
- Generates new relationships with decision makers in potential partner organizations. Incorporates knowledge of products and services, the customer, and key competitors into the businesses development process and uses that knowledge to uncover customer needs and create value based solutions.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Excellent knowledge of the current IT/Web start up marketplace trends and venture/private equity state
- Great financial analysis skills, a robust commercial outlook and a winning interpersonal style
- Relevant foreign language skills or specialist sector experience can also be helpful
- Relevant business degree (MBA strongly preferred)
- 5+ years of professional services experience required
- 3+ years venture fund/private equity/M&A/banking/financial services experience required
- Demonstrated strategic experience and capabilities in business development - relationship building
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Strong verbal and writing communication skills
- Project management skills. Teamwork.
- Tangible and demonstrated experience in formal sales process deployment and use of the B2B sales approaches
- Strong analytical, sales channel and marketing skills
- Strong business development and closing experience
An appropriate compensation package consisting of a base salary plus incentives will be offered to the right candidate.