Zellers Employee Reviews

overall excellent company to work for.
Stockroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB6 October 2016
Your day starts very early as we set up for incoming freight and organized skids for the evening restock crew. I spent most of the day picking items for all departments. I enjoyed working with all the staff and management, learning about logistics, time management and general people pleasing skills.
Pros
good benifits
Cons
too much middle management.
Fast paced and rewarding
OVERNIGHT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 May 2016
Typical day...Reviewed work needed for the day with evening manager.
Organized stock for the different staff in different departments.
Put out stock and follow up with staff to ensure work is done productively and problems that arise are solved.
Signage is up properly.
Review new information and concerns with opening manager.

I learned how to best utilize my time and others. I also learned how to work with other management and organize staff.

Management was helpful and fun to work with.

I enjoyed working with a very hard working group of people.

The hardest part of my job was working long hours (min 10).

I really enjoyed working with the merchandise and seeing displays come together.
Pros
Job Satisfaction (seeing things come together)
Zellers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON26 October 2016
A typical day at work was to open stock and put it out, and while doing this I also had to attend to customer needs, and I would also be available to the cashiers to verify prices via the cashier phones. I also was the fitting room attendant which at times I could be on one side of the store and have to quickly go over to the next side to attend to customers waiting for a fitting room. While doing all of this I was also in charge of making sure my department (lingerie and fitting rooms) were all clean, clear, and safe for customers and co-workers. I learned how to multi-task efficiently, and the importance of teamwork. Management was supportive at times, and my co-workers were always very supportive, and able to assist when and how I needed. The hardest part of the job was keeping an irate customer calm, but by working on this objective I was able to overcome this. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new individuals and becoming a work family
Good working environment, helpful management
Records management (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON30 June 2016
Enjoyed working within the retail culture, always learning something new and expanding my knowledge of store operations.
Constantly seeking out solutions to help maintain productivity and to enable a more profitable margin for the retail establishment.
Pros
Company discount was offered, paid vacation upon accrual
Cons
little margin for advancement within the company regardless of senority
Very busy place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL31 July 2016
Very busy and demanding job. Worked well with fellow employees. Unfortunatley, inadequate staff were absent daily . Management failed to staff proper employees too often.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Good job; pleasant work environment, great co-workers
Overnight crew (M.M.T.) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 September 2016
I enjoyed working at Zellers. I worked overnights as shipper/receiver. My coworkers were great. We worked well as a team.
We loaded and unloaded merchandise, stocked shelves, cleaned and organized stock and shelves
Management was good. I was still sleeping well during the day so this job was a good fit for me at that time.
This job ended because the Zellers stores closed in Winnipeg.
Pros
Good work environment, good team work
Cons
Store closed
Productive place of work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 May 2016
Did not remain long as it closed in September 2012. However management was a mess, and it served as a place with no job advancement
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
management
good place to learn on a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC15 September 2016
This was a great place to work as a first job for me to learn how to communicate with people not just my coworkers but the general public. learning how to work fast, and effectively especially during peak times like Christmas.
Pros
located in a mall
Cons
disorganized management
Fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 April 2016
Had a great experience, the Zellers brand is now closed.

Would go in, set up my register...huddle with management and colleagues in the mornings

Assist clients at the customer service desk, with returns, complaints, etc

Management was great...we didn't always see eye to eye, however there was compromise and trust. Had great leadership

Co-workers were so fun, and always made work not really work...still friends with people I worked with all that time ago

Hardest part of the job is hearing complaints, however it taught me so many great skills in dealing with people and handling uncomfortable situations responsibly and professionally

Didn't feel like work, just enjoyed every moment and felt good
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
None to think of to make too much note of
Sadly this business closed.
Hardlines Sales and Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON10 November 2016
Only left the job because the company was closing. Great people and management. The job was satisfying. Sad to see that the company is gone. Would definitely work there again.
great place to work
Picker/Stocker Hamilton Ontario (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 August 2016
management was fantastic
used forklifts order pickers
early start early finishes 5 am start
steady shifts
environment was fast paced
unloaded trucks
Pros
people were so respectful and genuine
Very productive work environment
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 April 2016
A typical work day called for reviewing the recorded events from the previous day or night, ensure the office is clear of all items that can pose a danger to the clients or oneself and read the daily report from Investigator from the previous shift. Then on to seeking out shoplifters or trespass violators.

Without revealing trade secrets, seeking out and catching a shoplifter--whether it's a fraud or a theft--was the best part of the job. To be honest, I took this job because I was looking for for employment. It wasn't intended to be something long-term. As you can see in my resume, it lasted over a decade. So, it is with life; sometimes we seek a place to just to make some money and it can turn into a career. I have that personality though. I love to work. But if there isn't room for improvement, it can be a deterrent for something long-term. Because I usually put my all into every shift I work; as my father used to say..."Do the job like you're doing it for God."
Pros
The adrenalin behind catching a shoplifter is amazing.
Cons
That same adrenalin can cause one to be hurt or killed.
I didnt like the managment
Stock room associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2016
Management always dumped work on me, yelled at me and was not a good work environment . It was understaffed and I didn't get the breaks I was supposed to have.
Zellers - Team Member
Customer Service Rep. / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 March 2016
Zellers was a great company to work for, I had a fantasic time. I was learning different areas to work. Customer Service, Cash and I would help on the floors to stock and put things in proper places.

The management were really easy to get alone and speak to when it came to any problems which was not often.

One of the hard parts was trying to get everyone to sign up for the MasterCard which they tried to get about 5 per shift which could be difficult if people have one or do not want one as they had to many cards already.
Pros
Flexiablity
I was the stockroom supervisor and had a crew putting out stock during the early mornings
Stockroom Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kamloops8 October 2016
Was a great place to work. Would have stayed and retired there. Had a great crew that worked under me I liked the challenges of the job. I learned a lot from working the cash register to customer service and maintaining planograms
Pros
Hours worked with my family life
Cons
Store closed down
Cash, stock and inventory, clean
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON19 January 2016
Doing stock and inventory, cleaning shelves and ensured a safe area. l learned how to use a barcode scanner, and cash register and handled money transactions. management and co-workers are great to work with. so time their not enough time in the day. the most enjoyable part of the job is help people.
Pros
great lunch
Cons
A fun and fast-paced working and learning experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON16 October 2016
Working at Zellers was my first plight into the workforce. It was an experience that helped me develop both professionally and personally and granted me an opportunity to develop skills in customer service and product selling.
stylish, colorful, great quality, different size for different ages,also different products
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
great team work, friendly, responsible, on time, skillful,smart,and kind manager. always cheering customer up was employees big duties.the most important thing was caring customer because our liability was customers attraction and keeping them satisfied.
Working at Zellers
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 November 2016
Zellers was a company that helped me grow. I was able to make so many friends and learn new things. I did:

Cashier
Customer Service
Worked in Toy Department
Worked in the Clothing Department

I miss Zellers and wish it didn't closed down.
Pros
Friendly Enivornment
Cons
Didn't close during snow storms
It was like a family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga31 August 2016
Zellers was a great place to work. It was like a big family we all looked out for each other. Which in turn meant we got things done we all worked together. It was very busy at times but then we pulled together. A lot of wonderful repetitive customers because of the atmosphere.
Pros
Team players
Cons
Closed down way to early