Zellers Employee Reviews

Zellers - Team Member
Customer Service Rep. / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 7, 2016
Zellers was a great company to work for, I had a fantasic time. I was learning different areas to work. Customer Service, Cash and I would help on the floors to stock and put things in proper places.

The management were really easy to get alone and speak to when it came to any problems which was not often.

One of the hard parts was trying to get everyone to sign up for the MasterCard which they tried to get about 5 per shift which could be difficult if people have one or do not want one as they had to many cards already.
Pros
Flexiablity
Cash, stock and inventory, clean
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Doing stock and inventory, cleaning shelves and ensured a safe area. l learned how to use a barcode scanner, and cash register and handled money transactions. management and co-workers are great to work with. so time their not enough time in the day. the most enjoyable part of the job is help people.
Pros
great lunch
zellers
Overnight stocker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Came to work and clean up the morning crews cardboard garbage the pull the unloaded truck to floor and then i went to backroom and organized overstock last hour of may shift was clean up pulling skids off floor into backroom and compacting cardboard, then setting up empty skids of truck, sometimes i had too stay back to help unload. The management was always working leading by example. Cooperative training and friendly work place made for enjoyable night shift. The hardest part of the job was coming into work and having to do the same process every night of cleaning up someone else mess. Doing night shift was always interesting it was like looking behind the curtain on how things work
Pros
free lunches, music
Cons
doing what felt like others work
Fast paced and rewarding
OVERNIGHT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 4, 2016
Typical day...Reviewed work needed for the day with evening manager.
Organized stock for the different staff in different departments.
Put out stock and follow up with staff to ensure work is done productively and problems that arise are solved.
Signage is up properly.
Review new information and concerns with opening manager.

I learned how to best utilize my time and others. I also learned how to work with other management and organize staff.

Management was helpful and fun to work with.

I enjoyed working with a very hard working group of people.

The hardest part of my job was working long hours (min 10).

I really enjoyed working with the merchandise and seeing displays come together.
Pros
Job Satisfaction (seeing things come together)
Cons
Good job; pleasant work environment, great co-workers
Overnight crew (M.M.T.) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 28, 2016
I enjoyed working at Zellers. I worked overnights as shipper/receiver. My coworkers were great. We worked well as a team.
We loaded and unloaded merchandise, stocked shelves, cleaned and organized stock and shelves
Management was good. I was still sleeping well during the day so this job was a good fit for me at that time.
This job ended because the Zellers stores closed in Winnipeg.
Pros
Good work environment, good team work
Cons
Store closed
interactive with team, productive and motivated to get the job done
Merchandise Renovation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
A typical overnight shift as a Renovation crew member at Zellers was very fulfilling with great encouragement given by Team leaders, Supervisors and other members of staff who are all very explicit and I am thankful of being able to follow instructions. Co-workers i.e. team members all complied to have a successful renovation in designs, fixtures, shelving, stocking and inventory, pricing and printing expiry dates. Some day shifts were available in customer service.
Fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 7, 2016
Had a great experience, the Zellers brand is now closed.

Would go in, set up my register...huddle with management and colleagues in the mornings

Assist clients at the customer service desk, with returns, complaints, etc

Management was great...we didn't always see eye to eye, however there was compromise and trust. Had great leadership

Co-workers were so fun, and always made work not really work...still friends with people I worked with all that time ago

Hardest part of the job is hearing complaints, however it taught me so many great skills in dealing with people and handling uncomfortable situations responsibly and professionally

Didn't feel like work, just enjoyed every moment and felt good
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
None to think of to make too much note of
A fun place to work and wonderful people also.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed working at Zellers because of the people I worked with and also the wonderful customers we had over the years.We had incentives for every so many hours you worked in a year you got a raise. The benefits were excellent.
Pros
I received 60% off of my meals, and management was very flexible with my schedule.
Cons
Not enough staff scheduled on busy days.
Good working environment, helpful management
Records management (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONJune 30, 2016
Enjoyed working within the retail culture, always learning something new and expanding my knowledge of store operations.
Constantly seeking out solutions to help maintain productivity and to enable a more profitable margin for the retail establishment.
Pros
Company discount was offered, paid vacation upon accrual
Cons
little margin for advancement within the company regardless of senority
a good environment to work
Pharmacy OTC Associate (Former Employee) –  ONOctober 7, 2015
Always busy,.
Learned how to deal with different kind of customer.
The management are always there to provide guidance and assistance when needed. Co-workers are a team player, and one reason that makes me stay in this company for a long time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the unreasonable,demanding customer.
Pros
Bunos plan when we reach the required sale., Have a pension plan for the permanent employee.
Cons
long hours and unreasonable guests
Zellers
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 11, 2016
High School Job
- stock clerk, help customers with carry outs and shopping
- performed inventory control and operating cardboard bailers and motorized pump trucks
- management was easy going and understanding and gave a clear outlook on daily goals
- coworkers were nice and easy going as well
Very productive work environment
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 8, 2016
A typical work day called for reviewing the recorded events from the previous day or night, ensure the office is clear of all items that can pose a danger to the clients or oneself and read the daily report from Investigator from the previous shift. Then on to seeking out shoplifters or trespass violators.

Without revealing trade secrets, seeking out and catching a shoplifter--whether it's a fraud or a theft--was the best part of the job. To be honest, I took this job because I was looking for for employment. It wasn't intended to be something long-term. As you can see in my resume, it lasted over a decade. So, it is with life; sometimes we seek a place to just to make some money and it can turn into a career. I have that personality though. I love to work. But if there isn't room for improvement, it can be a deterrent for something long-term. Because I usually put my all into every shift I work; as my father used to say..."Do the job like you're doing it for God."
Pros
The adrenalin behind catching a shoplifter is amazing.
Cons
That same adrenalin can cause one to be hurt or killed.
Productive and fun work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONAugust 12, 2016
I got along with everyone I worked with. If I had been kept on longer than the couple months of seasonal work, I could see myself advancing in their company. I enjoyed working in the jewelry department more than being a cashier. The only issue was pushing the credit card. That was my biggest downfall.
N/a
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONMarch 27, 2016
N/A as this company has closed down its stores. Working for Zellers was okay as a part-time job while in school, but this is definitely not a career potential.
It was like a family
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MississaugaAugust 31, 2016
Zellers was a great place to work. It was like a big family we all looked out for each other. Which in turn meant we got things done we all worked together. It was very busy at times but then we pulled together. A lot of wonderful repetitive customers because of the atmosphere.
Pros
Team players
Cons
Closed down way to early
good place to learn on a first job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 15, 2016
This was a great place to work as a first job for me to learn how to communicate with people not just my coworkers but the general public. learning how to work fast, and effectively especially during peak times like Christmas.
Pros
located in a mall
Cons
disorganized management
Productive during christmas
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
A lot of hard workers
Management is very good with employees
The store was very good when it came to stolen items in the store. every one seemed nice and honest for the most part.
Excellent Staff
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJune 3, 2016
My co-workers were amazing, and very helpful especially when I first started working there. They were remarkably flexible with allowing me to do co-op as well as employment through there. I was able to do co-op for schooling from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM and I was scheduled on none co-op week days as well as weekends for paid work.
Easy going and enjoyable enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 18, 2015
I enjoyed working at Zellers on the fact that everyone from the management down to the cashiers and stock personal treated everyone like family. The potluck events were always fun and there was planned outings with other employees. Some days when it was really busy it got hard, having to stay an hour after closing to do returns because there was at least 10 buggies at the end of the night wasn't very fun. Still even for all the hard times there I enjoyed working there very much and would have loved to stay there if the store hadn't closed.
Pros
Great family feeling, very positive enforcment
Cons
long hours, staying late, sometimes overly busy
Manager was a bully, would single people out and bully them until they quit.
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCAugust 6, 2015
I am honestly surprised I managed to stay working here for as long as I did. I was miserable, I'd be stuck on main till where returns and most of the customers come through. When things got busy, I'd call for more cashiers only to have no one come, instead they were all chatting in the back.

The boss constantly bullied me, I had cried many times because of how she would be. Pay wasn't very good and neither were benefit, there were no benefits in my case.
Pros
Cons
Horrible management, lazy employees, stressful