Zellers Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Cash, stock and inventory, clean
Retail Associate (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Pros: great lunch
Cons: long hours
Doing stock and inventory, cleaning shelves and ensured a safe area. l learned how to use a barcode scanner, and cash register and handled money transactions. management and co-workers are great to work with. so time their not enough time in the day. the most enjoyable part of the job is help people.
zellers
Overnight stocker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: free lunches, music
Cons: doing what felt like others work
Came to work and clean up the morning crews cardboard garbage the pull the unloaded truck to floor and then i went to backroom and organized overstock last hour of may shift was clean up pulling skids off floor into backroom and compacting cardboard, then setting up empty skids of truck, sometimes i had too stay back to help unload. The management was always working leading by example. Cooperative training and friendly work place made for enjoyable night shift. The hardest part of the job was coming into work and having to do the same process every night of cleaning up someone else mess. Doing night shift was always interesting it was like looking behind the curtain on how things work
A fun place to work and wonderful people also.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee), Windsor, ONSeptember 11, 2015
Pros: I received 60% off of my meals, and management was very flexible with my schedule.
Cons: Not enough staff scheduled on busy days.
I enjoyed working at Zellers because of the people I worked with and also the wonderful customers we had over the years.We had incentives for every so many hours you worked in a year you got a raise. The benefits were excellent.
Zellers - Team Member
Customer Service Rep. / Cashier (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 7, 2016
Pros: Flexiablity
Zellers was a great company to work for, I had a fantasic time. I was learning different areas to work. Customer Service, Cash and I would help on the floors to stock and put things in proper places.

The management were really easy to get alone and speak to when it came to any problems which was not often.

One of the hard parts was trying to get everyone to sign up for the MasterCard which they tried to get about 5 per shift which could be difficult if people have one or do not want one as they had to many cards already.
a good environment to work
Pharmacy OTC Associate (Former Employee), ONOctober 7, 2015
Pros: Bunos plan when we reach the required sale., Have a pension plan for the permanent employee.
Cons: long hours and unreasonable guests
Always busy,.
Learned how to deal with different kind of customer.
The management are always there to provide guidance and assistance when needed. Co-workers are a team player, and one reason that makes me stay in this company for a long time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the unreasonable,demanding customer.
Easy going and enjoyable enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 18, 2015
Pros: Great family feeling, very positive enforcment
Cons: long hours, staying late, sometimes overly busy
I enjoyed working at Zellers on the fact that everyone from the management down to the cashiers and stock personal treated everyone like family. The potluck events were always fun and there was planned outings with other employees. Some days when it was really busy it got hard, having to stay an hour after closing to do returns because there was at least 10 buggies at the end of the night wasn't very fun. Still even for all the hard times there I enjoyed working there very much and would have loved to stay there if the store hadn't closed.
Manager was a bully, would single people out and bully them until they quit.
Retail Cashier (Former Employee), Smithers, BCAugust 6, 2015
Pros: none
Cons: Horrible management, lazy employees, stressful
I am honestly surprised I managed to stay working here for as long as I did. I was miserable, I'd be stuck on main till where returns and most of the customers come through. When things got busy, I'd call for more cashiers only to have no one come, instead they were all chatting in the back.

The boss constantly bullied me, I had cried many times because of how she would be. Pay wasn't very good and neither were benefit, there were no benefits in my case.
Fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONApril 7, 2016
Pros: People I worked with
Cons: None to think of to make too much note of
Had a great experience, the Zellers brand is now closed.

Would go in, set up my register...huddle with management and colleagues in the mornings

Assist clients at the customer service desk, with returns, complaints, etc

Management was great...we didn't always see eye to eye, however there was compromise and trust. Had great leadership

Co-workers were so fun, and always made work not really work...still friends with people I worked with all that time ago

Hardest part of the job is hearing complaints, however it taught me so many great skills in dealing with people and handling uncomfortable situations responsibly and professionally

Didn't feel like work, just enjoyed every moment and felt good
team work
Stock Personal (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2016
Pros: tv was in lunch room
Cons: having a negative staff team
they were very disorganized on staff and work method

management did nothing but yell and expect you to read their minds

co-workers only cared for themselves and constantly dumped a customer on eachother
hardest part was finishing my area and it getting destroyed 5 minutes later

most enjoyable part was going home
Zellers
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONMarch 11, 2016
High School Job
- stock clerk, help customers with carry outs and shopping
- performed inventory control and operating cardboard bailers and motorized pump trucks
- management was easy going and understanding and gave a clear outlook on daily goals
- coworkers were nice and easy going as well
Okay place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 27, 2015
Boring slow workplace, not much room for advancement. Management was very harsh on workers. Not much on the enjoyable part of this job.
It was a good company.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Friendly environment. Always busy, Constant Classes regarding products. Most management very professional. You were always cleaning, arranging merchandise, taking calls and helping customers.
Sometimes customers were difficult but all in all, It was good.
24 hour call running three shifts
Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONDecember 8, 2015
I had many challenging and interesting experiences there. Met many good people. There were a number of opportunities offered to me of which most I took. Some good training was provided in management and people skills.
N/a
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee), GTA, ONMarch 27, 2016
N/A as this company has closed down its stores. Working for Zellers was okay as a part-time job while in school, but this is definitely not a career potential.
Fun working with so many people
Floor clerk (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCNovember 19, 2015
Pros: Helping Customers
Cons: having a too many customers wanting your help at once
While working here had a lot of interacting with customers got to help them any way I could.The management was always so wonderful, the other staff was always enjoyable to be around.
Productive during christmas
Sales associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
A lot of hard workers
Management is very good with employees
The store was very good when it came to stolen items in the store. every one seemed nice and honest for the most part.
Very productive work environment
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee), Windsor, ONApril 8, 2016
Pros: The adrenalin behind catching a shoplifter is amazing.
Cons: That same adrenalin can cause one to be hurt or killed.
A typical work day called for reviewing the recorded events from the previous day or night, ensure the office is clear of all items that can pose a danger to the clients or oneself and read the daily report from Investigator from the previous shift. Then on to seeking out shoplifters or trespass violators.

Without revealing trade secrets, seeking out and catching a shoplifter--whether it's a fraud or a theft--was the best part of the job. To be honest, I took this job because I was looking for for employment. It wasn't intended to be something long-term. As you can see in my resume, it lasted over a decade. So, it is with life; sometimes we seek a place to just to make some money and it can turn into a career. I have that personality though. I love to work. But if there isn't room for improvement, it can be a deterrent for something long-term. Because I usually put my all into every shift I work; as my father used to say..."Do the job like you're doing it for God."
lots of new things
Head Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: New Store
Cons: no benifits
I was with the company when it launched
Was minimal employees as it was a new store
Teammates for relaxed and will to assist when necessary
A good first job
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJuly 30, 2015
Zellers was a good first job, it wasn't too difficult, but it also had it's incredibly stressful days.
I learned a lot and I was able to move forward onto jobs because of it.

Management was decent, there was really only one manager that I could connect with, the others simply didn't care or had other things to deal with. Understandably, though.

Despite having so many employees, it was really difficult to book a day off, and even when you did 6 times out of 10 you'd still be given that shift despite giving MORE than the required notice.

The employees who shared the same position with me were the best! They made every shift 10x more enjoyable, I got along with everyone really well.
Educational
Sales Attendant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 6, 2015
Great opportunity to learn and experience how to deal with guests on multiple different levels of service. Management was like any other retailer, this job mostly taught me how to handle guest interactions under stress due to the store having notice of closure, we dealt with many stressful scenarios. All in all a great first job with allowed me to mature in the guest service industry