Zellers Employee Reviews in Canada

lots of new things
Head Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 7, 2016
I was with the company when it launched
Was minimal employees as it was a new store
Teammates for relaxed and will to assist when necessary
Pros
New Store
Cons
no benifits
A fun place to work and wonderful people also.
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 11, 2015
I enjoyed working at Zellers because of the people I worked with and also the wonderful customers we had over the years.We had incentives for every so many hours you worked in a year you got a raise. The benefits were excellent.
Pros
I received 60% off of my meals, and management was very flexible with my schedule.
Cons
Not enough staff scheduled on busy days.
Manager was a bully, would single people out and bully them until they quit.
Retail Cashier (Former Employee) –  Smithers, BCAugust 6, 2015
I am honestly surprised I managed to stay working here for as long as I did. I was miserable, I'd be stuck on main till where returns and most of the customers come through. When things got busy, I'd call for more cashiers only to have no one come, instead they were all chatting in the back.

The boss constantly bullied me, I had cried many times because of how she would be. Pay wasn't very good and neither were benefit, there were no benefits in my case.
Pros
Cons
Horrible management, lazy employees, stressful
Fun productive enviroment
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCOctober 14, 2015
Excellent people to work with. Provided a fast paced working environment that I thrived in. Excellent opportunity provided to change and work in other departments. Great training support.
Pros
Fast paced and continuously busy
Cons
Low salary and poor benefits.
Zellers - Team Member
Customer Service Rep. / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 7, 2016
Zellers was a great company to work for, I had a fantasic time. I was learning different areas to work. Customer Service, Cash and I would help on the floors to stock and put things in proper places.

The management were really easy to get alone and speak to when it came to any problems which was not often.

One of the hard parts was trying to get everyone to sign up for the MasterCard which they tried to get about 5 per shift which could be difficult if people have one or do not want one as they had to many cards already.
Pros
Flexiablity
zellers
Overnight stocker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Came to work and clean up the morning crews cardboard garbage the pull the unloaded truck to floor and then i went to backroom and organized overstock last hour of may shift was clean up pulling skids off floor into backroom and compacting cardboard, then setting up empty skids of truck, sometimes i had too stay back to help unload. The management was always working leading by example. Cooperative training and friendly work place made for enjoyable night shift. The hardest part of the job was coming into work and having to do the same process every night of cleaning up someone else mess. Doing night shift was always interesting it was like looking behind the curtain on how things work
Pros
free lunches, music
Cons
doing what felt like others work
Fast paced and rewarding
OVERNIGHT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 4, 2016
Typical day...Reviewed work needed for the day with evening manager.
Organized stock for the different staff in different departments.
Put out stock and follow up with staff to ensure work is done productively and problems that arise are solved.
Signage is up properly.
Review new information and concerns with opening manager.

I learned how to best utilize my time and others. I also learned how to work with other management and organize staff.

Management was helpful and fun to work with.

I enjoyed working with a very hard working group of people.

The hardest part of my job was working long hours (min 10).

I really enjoyed working with the merchandise and seeing displays come together.
Pros
Job Satisfaction (seeing things come together)
Cons
Cash, stock and inventory, clean
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Bowmanville, ONJanuary 19, 2016
Doing stock and inventory, cleaning shelves and ensured a safe area. l learned how to use a barcode scanner, and cash register and handled money transactions. management and co-workers are great to work with. so time their not enough time in the day. the most enjoyable part of the job is help people.
Pros
great lunch
Fun place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONApril 7, 2016
Had a great experience, the Zellers brand is now closed.

Would go in, set up my register...huddle with management and colleagues in the mornings

Assist clients at the customer service desk, with returns, complaints, etc

Management was great...we didn't always see eye to eye, however there was compromise and trust. Had great leadership

Co-workers were so fun, and always made work not really work...still friends with people I worked with all that time ago

Hardest part of the job is hearing complaints, however it taught me so many great skills in dealing with people and handling uncomfortable situations responsibly and professionally

Didn't feel like work, just enjoyed every moment and felt good
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
None to think of to make too much note of
interactive with team, productive and motivated to get the job done
Merchandise Renovation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
A typical overnight shift as a Renovation crew member at Zellers was very fulfilling with great encouragement given by Team leaders, Supervisors and other members of staff who are all very explicit and I am thankful of being able to follow instructions. Co-workers i.e. team members all complied to have a successful renovation in designs, fixtures, shelving, stocking and inventory, pricing and printing expiry dates. Some day shifts were available in customer service.
Very productive work environment
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 8, 2016
A typical work day called for reviewing the recorded events from the previous day or night, ensure the office is clear of all items that can pose a danger to the clients or oneself and read the daily report from Investigator from the previous shift. Then on to seeking out shoplifters or trespass violators.

Without revealing trade secrets, seeking out and catching a shoplifter--whether it's a fraud or a theft--was the best part of the job. To be honest, I took this job because I was looking for for employment. It wasn't intended to be something long-term. As you can see in my resume, it lasted over a decade. So, it is with life; sometimes we seek a place to just to make some money and it can turn into a career. I have that personality though. I love to work. But if there isn't room for improvement, it can be a deterrent for something long-term. Because I usually put my all into every shift I work; as my father used to say..."Do the job like you're doing it for God."
Pros
The adrenalin behind catching a shoplifter is amazing.
Cons
That same adrenalin can cause one to be hurt or killed.
a good environment to work
Pharmacy OTC Associate (Former Employee) –  ONOctober 7, 2015
Always busy,.
Learned how to deal with different kind of customer.
The management are always there to provide guidance and assistance when needed. Co-workers are a team player, and one reason that makes me stay in this company for a long time. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the unreasonable,demanding customer.
Pros
Bunos plan when we reach the required sale., Have a pension plan for the permanent employee.
Cons
long hours and unreasonable guests
Zellers
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 11, 2016
High School Job
- stock clerk, help customers with carry outs and shopping
- performed inventory control and operating cardboard bailers and motorized pump trucks
- management was easy going and understanding and gave a clear outlook on daily goals
- coworkers were nice and easy going as well
Fantastic Place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 17, 2015
A typical day at work was very much the same experience as a typical day in the small town of which I was raised. A very neighbourly approach from both co workers and customers. Embracing diverse cultures and ways of life. I learned most if not all of necessary fast paced retail skills an asset to carry for a lifetime. The downside would have been running out of bags during the Christmas season. I looked forward to going to work daily and it was quite a devastating blow when the company closed. Not only to me but to the Community that it fostered.
N/a
Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) –  GTA, ONMarch 27, 2016
N/A as this company has closed down its stores. Working for Zellers was okay as a part-time job while in school, but this is definitely not a career potential.
team work
Stock Personal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 5, 2016
they were very disorganized on staff and work method

management did nothing but yell and expect you to read their minds

co-workers only cared for themselves and constantly dumped a customer on eachother
hardest part was finishing my area and it getting destroyed 5 minutes later

most enjoyable part was going home
Pros
tv was in lunch room
Cons
having a negative staff team
Excellent Staff
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ONJune 3, 2016
My co-workers were amazing, and very helpful especially when I first started working there. They were remarkably flexible with allowing me to do co-op as well as employment through there. I was able to do co-op for schooling from 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM and I was scheduled on none co-op week days as well as weekends for paid work.
Zellers
Merchandise Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Merchandise Operations ManagerJuly 3, 2015
It was a great company to work for.I thought I would retire there but unfortunately HBC sold us to Target.They provided good benefits and good pay.Really learned alot about the buisness and people side of the buisness
The best retail store ever to work!
Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 13, 2016
This place was like a huge family, I really loved working here, I worked here three times. It was one of my very first jobs and every time I ever needed extra money at Christmas time I went back to work the seasonal help. I absolutely loved working here at any location.
Pros
All locations were like one big family.
Cons
Worked weekends.
Productive during christmas
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 11, 2016
A lot of hard workers
Management is very good with employees
The store was very good when it came to stolen items in the store. every one seemed nice and honest for the most part.