If the shift was in the morning, I was responsible for:
- resetting the alarm counter of items that left the store without having the security tag deactivated
- ensuring all money was put out in the registers required.
- organizing the breaks for the cashiers
- ensuring all returns were done
- ensuring all paperwork for the department was dealt with either by myself, or the appropriate person
- sending completed credit applications out via Purolator
- ensuring all department policies were followed
- random spotchecks on cashiers
- making repair appointments for any registers/pinpads not working properly
- doing the best to resolve any issues cashiers had with customers/products either by myself or management.
- creating/updating forms and monthly newletter for the department.
If the shift was to end at store closing time, I was responsible for:
- the removal of all monies from registers
- collection of all keys and money bags from all registers to be put in the safe
closing announcements and ensuring the doors were locked
- organizing any items for the following day
- helping ensure all staff have left the building prior to lockup
Management at this store has been quite amiable. In my opinion, there have been no outstanding issues with management/supervisors at this time. When dealing with such a diverse group of individuals, there are bound to be some issues with personalities, however, it has been my experience that these get worked out. The group working at this location seems to operate as a family would.
One of the most challenging parts of the job was having customers – more... throw items at you and cursing because they were not able to get the items they wanted at what they believed, was the proper price; as well as anger at not being allowed to return product against company policy. When this happened, I would calmly ask the customer to refrain from using foul language and would refer them to a member of the management team so the issue could be discussed further.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the smiles. When dealing with customers and being able to not only give them good service, but being empowered to save them money and ensure return patronage is a wonderful feeling. When a customer smiles and thanks you, in my opinion, its wonderful gratification for a job well done. – less