Zellers Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very busy and fast paced work environment
Store Associate (Former Employee), Alliston, ONJuly 9, 2012
Pros: flexible shifts, christmas party for kids and adults, 1 friday a month was jean day, dressup for halloween.
Cons: no real advancement, no overtime, a lot of cleaning
a typical day at zellers as a retail associate was:
walk on the floor and get a return cart. place all items in the carts in there proper areas on the shelves in a timely manner. go to my area which was toys. make sure the floor was clean. i started cleaning shelves and would start where it was the worse. When the bad areas were done id start at the first isle and work my way down my area making sure everything was front faced and everything was where its suppose to be. As I cleaned i always asked every customer if they needed help finding a product. sometimes it required me to leave my department to help them. If I couldnt find what the customer wanted I would call around to other Zellers stores to find the product. I would either have it transfered to my store or the customer requested to pick it up. If products were missing from shelves id look up the product and if we had some in the stock room id bring it out.

At times when new Planograms or Zonograms were uploaded into the system, id print them off and go into my department and organize where the products r to go and id do them as needed.

When it was time for breaks we would set up a break schedule between our half of the store so that everyones departments were covered at all times. When electronics, jewellery or garden centre needed a break id leave my department with another associate to take care of while i attended the cash in the other departments.

when i was in Major Home Fashions:
make sure all appliances and mattresses displays were priced properly(sales sometimes ended or started without notice). If new sales – more... started i would print off uploaded signs from head office if some signs were missing i would go on different computer programs i would make sure that the signs looked almost identical to the ones head office would send. id clean all displays to make sure they were free of dust and skuff marks. use special programs to order our products for customers. I would ship and recieve new and or old appliances or mattresses to customers or warehouse using the ORACLE program. in the winter id have to deal with TONS of delivery issues because of weather. If there were any customers complaints i would contact the company and have it resolved in a timely mannor.

the best part of my job was some of my co-workers. Most of us became good friends. We always looked out for eachothers departments when on break, vacations or sick. I also enjoyed doing planograms. we would do them 3 sometimes 4 times a year depending on the department

my last 2 bosses were the type of boss that could be your friend but was your boss when needed. – less
I have enjoyed working at Zellers, however, with the stores closing, my future with this branch of the HBC company is non-existent.
Cash Lead/Customer Service (Current Employee), Alliston, OntarioOctober 26, 2012
If the shift was in the morning, I was responsible for:
- resetting the alarm counter of items that left the store without having the security tag deactivated
- ensuring all money was put out in the registers required.
- organizing the breaks for the cashiers
- ensuring all returns were done
- ensuring all paperwork for the department was dealt with either by myself, or the appropriate person
- sending completed credit applications out via Purolator
- ensuring all department policies were followed
- random spotchecks on cashiers
- making repair appointments for any registers/pinpads not working properly
- doing the best to resolve any issues cashiers had with customers/products either by myself or management.
- creating/updating forms and monthly newletter for the department.
If the shift was to end at store closing time, I was responsible for:
- the removal of all monies from registers
- collection of all keys and money bags from all registers to be put in the safe
closing announcements and ensuring the doors were locked
- organizing any items for the following day
- helping ensure all staff have left the building prior to lockup

Management at this store has been quite amiable. In my opinion, there have been no outstanding issues with management/supervisors at this time. When dealing with such a diverse group of individuals, there are bound to be some issues with personalities, however, it has been my experience that these get worked out. The group working at this location seems to operate as a family would.

One of the most challenging parts of the job was having customers – more... throw items at you and cursing because they were not able to get the items they wanted at what they believed, was the proper price; as well as anger at not being allowed to return product against company policy. When this happened, I would calmly ask the customer to refrain from using foul language and would refer them to a member of the management team so the issue could be discussed further.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the smiles. When dealing with customers and being able to not only give them good service, but being empowered to save them money and ensure return patronage is a wonderful feeling. When a customer smiles and thanks you, in my opinion, its wonderful gratification for a job well done. – less
I enjoyed working with the public and the staff!
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee), Welland, ONMarch 25, 2013
Pros: great staff interaction, wonderful regular customers, special occasion dinners & parties, discounts on merchandise, access to merchandise, good deals
Cons: busy seasons were long exhausting hours, no benefits for part time, work hours varied, some weeks very few hours
A typical work day would be processing the customers purchases and getting to know them as quite a few were regulars who shopped with us often. When business was slow I would help others in their departments with straightening or stocking shelves.
I learned about how to operate their computer system which entailed cash, debit and credit sales as well as processing credit applications. Often times I also worked in several different departments when business was slow..zoning and assisting customers with their purchases.
Management was easy going but I knew what was required of me and I did my job accordingly.
My co-workers were the best part of the job. We all seemed to have a great rapport with one another and were always there to lend a helping hand when necessary.
The hardest part of the job was controlling my patience which I do possess a lot of. I say this because as in any business there is always the impossible customer who walks in the door with a big chip on their shoulder and being the last person that they interact with at the end of their shopping experience..the cashier most always took the brunt of the situation of an unhappy event. We were trained to tolerate irate customers and not show our impatience by directing them to a supervisor or management who would diffuse the situation.
The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with my co-workers. We were a unique group who got along well and had get togethers often whether it be for a tea or a Christmas Party or a bbq. As the business is no longer Zellers, we still get together whenever possible to have our – more... tea dates, lunches, the movies or whatever the occasion might be at the time. We were a tight group and relied on one another and would always be there for one another in any situation. – less
Fun yet Rough Around the Edges. Gained Excellent Experience and Skills for Future Endeavours.
Service Desk Associate and Cashier(s) Supervisor (Former Employee), Brockville, ONMarch 21, 2013
Pros: co-workers, family-like atmosphere, excellent experience
Cons: management, rundown facilities and equipment, understaffed
A typical day at Zeller's store 107 as a cash supervisor entailed collecting the relevant credit paper work that needed to be completed from my supervisor basket and completing this paperwork at the computer at the front checkouts. My job title also had me jumping on cash when the lines became too long, making sure all front associates were being productive and/cleaning when not busy with customers. I often dealt with difficult customer service situations, especially when cashiers found it hard to handle the situation on their own.

I have learned how to manage and supervise individuals as well as working together as a team. Dealing with irritable customers has become another strong suit, am very capable of dealing with difficult situations. Have learned how to deal with immense amount of pressure while staying calm, as well as the ability to complete a job thoroughly and efficiently. I also effectively learned how to sell the HBC credit card and earned recognition for my success.

Considering Zeller's was a dying brand when I worked there, management was not something I could speak incredibly fond of. There were many things and incidents that could have been handled differently and could have been deemed unprofessional. Saying that, the individuals I worked with were wonderful and made the experience worth while. My co-workers, by far, were the highlight of my Zeller's career.
It was a paycheck.......and full time
shelf stocking early am or overnight (Former Employee), Penticton, BCNovember 8, 2012
Pros: good medical, buying bonds through payroll, retirement plan, sick time, paid birthday, staff discount, being locked in at 35 hours a week, when full time only guaranteed 28 hours
Cons: having my shift changed from am to pm, up until 5 years ago little warning people getting better pay because of who they knew
stock shelves, plano grams done, mark ups or mark downs done, clean and tidy ends, change ends of no value, or too empty,pack up seasonal merchandise, and set up the new stock
I learned how to do all of the above work, let people battle their own disputes, do my job and go home, take on no supervisor postions

management needed people skills, training and show some respect, stop hiring family and friends and giving them all the better positions, actually do the work they expected us to do, before handing out critisism actually fire people that were not doing their jobs, before their 3 month probation was up

co workers vary...some good eggs, some weird ones...all in all I pretty much got along with any age group. Never go to battle for them, let them battle their own

hardest part of the job was excepting the favortism, and learning to keep quiet when it was wrong watch sweethearting being done in management with themselves and friends, and trying to prove it to head office, and backing down cause they would get even and make your job even more difficult

Having a skid on the floor and getting it done, setting up ends, having breaks with different staff, everyone has a story..... my paycheck
Overall, I enjoyed my years working at Zellers I have learned many skills associated with the retail environment.
General Office/Cash Office associate (Former Employee), Welland, ONMarch 12, 2013
Pros: being able to work along side co-workers who took pride in their jobs as much as i did
Cons: working in retail for over 35 years, and did not get the opportunity to achieve full time status within my workgroup
General Office: sort paperwork, along with reports.
-organize and process invoices
-maintain filing of incomplete or pending paperwork
-follow up on pending issues until 100% compliant
-responsible for audits and yearly fiscal inventory
Cash Office: responsible for accuracy in daily count of monies
-maintaining a neat, organized workplace to maximize productivity
-responsible for followup on overages/shortages
-maintaining daily ledgers, bank deposits
-in problem solving, a network of supportive contacts were formulated which was a very helpful tool in rectifying issues
-at times, it was difficult to maintain a personal level of achievement as weekly payroll budgets dictated fewer work hours
-my co-workers and I created our own cooperative network of support within the General Office and Cash Office, and would often times be called upon to fill in for one another to get our jobs done. This was done in order to maintain the pride we had in our job functions.
I enjoy a challenge and time spent at other Zellers stores when called upon to troubleshoot problems and rectify issues within their stores.
Zellers is a great place to work. It further developed my abilities to be able to change with the business
Service Team Leader (Current Employee), 550 King St North, Waterloo Conestoga MallAugust 13, 2012
Pros: when needed i work long hours but am given a day off of my choice
Cons: sometimes i have to give more than i receive
I would approach the service desk to let them know I was in and to see if there were any issues that needed to be dealt with. This usually meant replacing a sick call or answering question concerning customer service. I would also check in with my cash supervisor for an update or to address any concerns they would have. I would greet all associates and sometimes would walk the store to see what projects had been done since I was in last. I always greet my associates with a smile and a greeting.
Once I have my personal items away I seek out my Store Manager and we discuss what needs to be done that particular day.
The hardest part of my job is somedays I feel like I am being pulled in to many directions. When this happens I take a minute and sort things out then prioritize what needs to be done first and work from there.
The mose enjoyable part of my job is seeing a job well done and letting the associate know. The pride on their faces is priceless. I also enjoy interacting with the associates so I can hear their thoughts on things going on around them. This also lets them know that I am approachable when the need arrises.
Motivating work place where I learned a lot and met some very good people.
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 27, 2013
A typical day at work would consist of me managing the cash register and talking to customers about any questions they had.
I also had to try and sell the Zellers HBC credit card to all customers that came to my cash.
I learned how to sell a product and how to be persuasive about it. I was quite successful in selling the credit card and my ratings were very high. I learned how to manage a cash register and be confident and comfortable with talking to customers; weather it be making small conversation or helping them with a question they had.
My co-workers were all very nice and I got along with all of them. I am glad to say I have never had any problems with anyone I'v worked with in my past.
The hardest part of my job was at the very beginning where I had to learn how to handle a cash register on my own from scratch. Fortunately; I got the hang of it pretty fast. I was also pregnant when I started my job, and worked up until I was 9 and a half months. So of course some days were much more tiring then others, but I'm proud to say I got through it and never worked harder in my life.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people everyday and talking to them. I actually developed a friendship with some of my customers and most of my co-workers.
Nice place to work with good hours and hard-working employees
Cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 2, 2015
Pros: Fun, nice co-workers, great customers, great business ethics
Cons: Store closure
Overall was a good place to work. Everyone got equal opportunities for employment no matter what age. Management was very experienced in customer service and the customers were always very happy, satisfied and, kind, which generated repeat clientele and good customer relationships. Zellers created good revenue and it catered to products for anyone. A typical day at work would be very up-beat and exciting. All co-workers worked very hard and were always happy and kind to one another. Management was excellent and their hard work generated tasks for other workers thus, generating revenue. The hardest part of the job was catering to every customer's need. For example: if the flyer had a certain product yet, the store itself did not have it at the time, the workers would receive backlash from some clients. This would cause for management to try find a way to satisfy them right there and then. The most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying customers' needs and seeing them leave happily and return for more service. To conclude, this was a good workplace and it helped me gain exemplary customer service experience that is helpful to have to this day.
I enjoyed the staff,and got along well with everyone
Sales Associate (Current Employee), London, ONSeptember 23, 2012
Pros: i was president of the zack committee so we had great christmas parties, pot luck dinners and thanksgiving dinners.
Cons: i never minded working late hours or going in early in the morning.
I enjoyed working at Zeller's in Westmount Mall. I always went into work early so that I could find out my work schedule, get the equipment that I needed and was on the floor ready to work on time.
I have taken over 40 O.P.A.L. courses on my own time, which included helping customers,customer service,merchandising,team work, etc.
I worked well with Management and co-workers.Once I was finished my jobs I would go look to see if anyone else needed help finishing their job.
I loved coming into work, and would work any hour they needed me, day, night or weekends.I also was one of the first to sign up for holidays.In the past 5 years I have worked at Zellers, I never called in sick once.I don't recall any part of my job being hard.I work well under pressure and enjoy the challange.The most enjoyable part of my job was when merchandise was arriving in at a fast pace and I could make room for it on the floor before the next trunk would arrive.
Because I enjoy woking at Zellers I asked to been transfered over to the Pondmill's store and I now work their part time.
Great team/learning experience
Sales.StoreIntegrityFashionBaby NeedsPlanosSigns (Former Employee), Guelph, ONOctober 10, 2012
Pros: paid day off for birthday!!! employee discount, worked every other weekend, recognition of seniority
Happy with my advancement in the 8 years I was employed by Zellers -
My typical day at work - greeted my supervisor and checked for instructions, if stock arrived would get it from stockroom, load and unload in the proper places, check shelves for any other stock required, greet any guests coming to my department and help if needed, a lot of time was spent tidying and repackaging, doing planograms etc..
I had several different jobs while employed by Zellers so the learning curve was high, and I had the opportunity to work with several different supervisors so I was able to glean alot of expertise from them both in helping guests and proper ways to execute my job description. My coworkers worked as a team and we bonded as family - helping each other get through some difficult times in our lives and always able to help each other at work
I really did not find any part of the job hard other then perhaps some of the heavy lifting (car seats, strollers)
I enjoyed being part of a team that took pride in serving each of our guests and was pleased to be able to send most away with a smile .
It was a sales goal oriented environment that stressed team work as well as personal skill development.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Hazeldean Mall, Kanata OntarioAugust 20, 2013
Pros: i was given opportunity to learn many different roles in the store.
Cons: the training process was lacking and management staff changed frequently.
A typical day at work involved a variety to tasks including customer service, spare cashier provider, marketing product and replenishing stock following a planogram.
I learned the importance of serving customers with excellence and integrity.
Good management requires communicating to your team members the sales goals and how we are to accomplish reaching that goal.
Your ability to succeed in sales coincides with your ability to cooperate and communicate effectively with your fellow co-workers. This is the key to making a business succeed with a healthy, positive work environment.
The hardest part of the job was not knowing far enough in advance when your shifts were and not knowing what location of the department store you would be placed in from one shift to another. Consistency in management personnel would have been most helpful.
The most enjoyable part of the job was pleasing a customer; helping them find exactly what they were looking for.
Door to Floor Stocks (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 7, 2012
Pros: discounts
Cons: early mornings
Had to wake up early in the morning because the shift started very early. Started off with a team meeting then two - three people were assigned to a department in the store. A couple of skids were awaiting at each department. Had to keep track of how many stocks were put on the shelves to show whether or not we were slacking. We had to keep the floors clean and threw out all cardboard. Any expired products we tagged and threw them out. When the doors opened we were to continue stocking as well as help customers. They would ask for certain products and we showed them the way in a friendly manner. The management could not keep track of the huge amount of overstock almost all the time. The warehouse would almost always be packed and it was difficult getting certain items the customers requested. They hired many people but offered them very little hours. The co-workers did not socialize very much, everyone just wanted to put stock out and some always seemed a little uptight. The hardest part of the job was having to wake up because the shifts started at 6 am. The most enjoyable part of the job I would say is when you are very focused stocking the shelves, it can be a very zen like experience.
Flexible work shifts.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJune 28, 2013
Pros: flexible shifts
Cons: busy short staff
A typical day at work:
- Guided customers in any department with promotions and special deals.
- Answering customer calls promptly.
- Assisting customers in finding merchandise.
- Operating the register when needed.
- Following proper procedures for handling claims merchandise.
- Providing assistance to the front end associates with price checks.
- Maintains a properly merchandised department.
- Ensuring the merchandise is properly signed and priced.
- Maintaining modular labels.
- Being knowledgeable about items in the departments.
- Following all safety and emergency policies and procedures.
- Keeping the floor clear of all objects.

What I learned:
- Learned to properly interact with many different types of customers.
- Increased ability to reach higher sales.
- Learned to work well with a large team.

Management:
- Management was great. They provided me great work shifts especially at busy times with my schooling. They are great listeners, helped and guided me throughout my time at Zellers.

Hardest part of the job:

- Handling busy periods when we are short staffed.

The most enjoyable part of the job:

- Great interactive customers and nice co-workers.
A fun safe enviornment
Loss Prevention Investigator (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 4, 2013
Pros: woking in a team
Cons: when the store is not as busy
A typical day a work at the The Bay as a loss prevntion investigator is:
i would nomaly come to work and have a morning meeting with all employees in the store, then i would share tips on how the associates can help loss prevention in reducing shrinkage in the store. Afterwards i would check my emails for any important emails that would help me identify any theft/fraud suspects all around my are or in the company. Then i would start watching the cameras on any internals or externals that look suspicious. if i do get an arrest that day i would fill out a report on all 5 steps and contact the proper autorities. i also would walk the floor for at least half of my shift also watching externals. i would normally work in a team and have very good communication with each team member. i believ the hardest part of my job is when i dont see anyone going or i just miss it before i can see all the steps. the most enjoyable part of my job is catching the bad guy ad helping them to realize that stealing or doing fraudelent activities is not the smartest thing to do, and that there are better things that they can do with their life.
poductive, enjoy the staff, customer satifaction.
door to floor and merchandiser (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBNovember 6, 2012
Pros: allowedd to work independly, we have a number of free functions though out the year, sometimes pizza party, for all the hard work done.
Cons: location, no parking have to bus it. distribution of workers, not necessery used to the greatest advantage.
my day starts at 6am and ends at2pm . mon to thur. I unpack skids of fashion hanging and basic before the store opens at 1000 am. I then put mens merchandise and the basic merch for mens and ladies, socks underwear etc. away If the department needs to be remerch I go ahead and complete the task. I find I am always learning something new such as new ways to merchandise, to do end caps diferently, we are always looking at different ways of catching the eye of our customers.
Management as a rule allows us to use our creativity as long as we stay in the companys guide lines. they allow us to work independly a lot of the time. most of the co-workers are easy to get along with, and we treat each other with respect.
The most enjoyable part of my day is when I finish merchandising and i look around at my department and I can say yes I like what i see and yes this should make things easier for customers to shop.
Fun, yet unprofessionally slack.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: fun contests, great staff.
Cons: not enough hours, the store was never properly cleaned, and some of the management were very rude.
My review, hmm, Zellers was a fun place to work due to some of the staff. They were more then happy to welcome me when I first started and gladly answered every question I had.
A typical day would be putting out stock, cleaning the floor of clothing, and talking about each others days.
For the most part management was okay, not the greatest in the world but who is.
Most of my co-workers were amazing, always would be able to put a smile on your face, after I'd finish everything I had to do I would gladly help them put out their own stock, mark down/up prices, print off sale signs etc.
The hardest part was when you had four different managers telling you what they wanted for one area and it was four different ideas. The customers could also end up being the hardest part of the job, what with being very rude in some cases and never for the life of them being able to simply hang up the clothes they just took off the rack.
The most enjoyable part I'd have to say was working with the staff, not everyone got along but it was fun, never dull.
Zellers your friendly Canadian department store
Merchandise Operator (Former Employee), Belleville, OnApril 30, 2013
A typical day at work, I would walk in and figure out which area of the store i would be working. Then i would have to grab any returns and take them back to their proper area. I would then head to my area of the store sometimes it was clothing and others it was toys or shoes. It was always a different area, I had to organize and clean the shelves up. This was my first job and it taught me how to keep a clean and well organized work area. I sometimes would have to work on the cashiers. This was fun because I got the chance to learn how to handle money, cards and just getting to know how to use a till. My co workers were always friendly till this day whenever i see one of my past co workers they still recognize me and that is always nice to be remembered. The hardest part of the job was clothing their was always so much and so unorganized, it would take quite a while to go through everything. The most enjoyable part was working Cashier it was fun and i learned so much. I am glad my first job was zellers it prepared me for other opportunities that i would late get the chance to have.
Zellers experienced employ review
Employee at Zellers (Former Employee), Milton, ONMarch 7, 2014
Pros: i could take off more time for lunch, based on the number of employees that were available. and still got same about of money
Cons: long hours of work
come earlier than the stores actully open and we just adjust a few things (clean-up, or help in stocking items).
we get into our positions, as doors open for zellers, and we greet them by saying(good morning, how may i help you, have a nice day, see you next time, etc).
my main position; is cashier. therefore i help purchasing items, and with any sale related questions that i may be aware about.
i work on weekends mostly from 9am to 5pm or 5pm to 10pm. depending on the longer shirts i work, i have two lunch breaks.
i have learned public speech and communicating with public in a positive manner (such as welcoming them, smiling, and making them feel welcomed, being loyal and respectful). the zellers team is very encouraging and welcoming and gives you proper training. my co-workers, were slightl older than me, but they were very hekpful and co-operative. i loved helping out the people, when they wanted to find out something or needed help with something.
Team oriented work place. Fast-paced, especially Senior's Day.
Cashier (Former Employee), White Rock, BCMarch 16, 2013
Pros: i felt like i was part of a family.
Cons: sometimes our breaks would be late.
In a typical day I would greet customers, scan their purchase and enter their method of payment in an efficient and timely manner.
I have learned how to be a professional employee when representing a company in retail. It is important that customers feel welcomed with courteousy and friendliness.
The management-team was great. They were always looking for ways to improve the store. When we were liquidating products in the store it never looked disarrayed. All the merchandise was kept organized
My co-workers were a great part of the team. When we were liquidating the store the lines at the registers were up to a two hour wait but with everyone working together it went well.
The hardest part of the job was if there was a malfunction in the register and I would have a line of people waiting for me to process their purchases. I don't like to have an unhappy customer.
The most enjoyable part of the job was hearing from a customer how pleased they were with their shopping experince at Zellers.