Zale Corporation

Zale Corporation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Friendly work environment
Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee), Beaumont TexasJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great working environment
Cons: short hours, no real advancement possibilites
Overall I really enjoy working at Zale's. We have all become a family and have fun together which makes it enjoyable for guests as well. The only reasons I have for needing to leave is the availability of hours and pay rate. I would recommend this company to anyone wanting a part-time position.
Disorganized Leadership, Relatively Relaxed, Good Pay
Graphics Specialist (Current Employee), Irving, TXJanuary 12, 2015
Pros: good pay, business casual dress
Cons: disorganized infrastructure and leadership, bad work/life balance, recently purchased by another company, uninteresting work
A typical day at work at Zale involves many last minute requests or projects, many of which did not go through existing due-process and were compulsively added last minute by leadership. Miscommunications or lack of communication is rampant, and there is little gauge for things like budgets and timelines (who needs them right?). When I was first hired, I remember a senior accountant looking at me blankly and stating in a hollow voice, "Welcome to the blender." And a blender it has been- chock full of stressful deadlines, tedious busy work, and a good number of duties not on one's job description. The compensation is nice, and the benefits are good. Plenty of people seem to enjoy their jobs and are passionate about what they do and the merchandise they sell. I found out the hard way that working long hours and taking on extra work really doesn't get you ahead, at least in my department. Bonuses were horrid, and there is no room for advancement or professional growth- just piles more work that they expect you to get done (somehow). There is not really a good work/life balance, and one really doesn't often get to see the end result of projects, or get acknowledged for projects well executed. It's the same grey walled circus every day. Unless one loves the jewelry or retail industry, I would say "keep your distance from this place."
I worked with knowledgeable people.
Merchandise Planner/Analyst (Former Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 21, 2014
I enjoyed being at the corporate office in Irving, TX. I learned a lot about the jewelry retail business.
No advancement
Supervisor of Supply Chain Operations (Former Employee), Irving, TXNovember 19, 2014
Pros: great place to work. temp. controlled, clean and organized (in most cases)
Cons: too much stress from higher ups
Well, what can I say.
The company was fun and had a great bunch of employees

Some of the management staff was not quite, well, ethical in their approach to business.
Great Work environment.
JEWELRY CONSULTANT (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCNovember 19, 2014
Pros: good company
Pleasant job and company to work for. Builds great sales and communication skills.
Typical retail environment
Department Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 3, 2014
Co-workers worked as a team to achieve goals. Management listened to ideas from salespeople making the feeling of shared goals more tangible.
Success is key
Data Entry Clerk (Current Employee), Irving, TXOctober 7, 2014
As an experienced person in the fields of retail and information technology, I can contribute towards growth of your organization with my knowledge. As a self-motivated individual with good communication skills and leadership qualities, I have the ability to motivate my team members and help them bring out their best.
Great place to work!
Loss Prevention Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Irving, TexasSeptember 13, 2014
This is a wonderful company to work for. They are very professional and go out of their way to make you feel like your are family.
Benefits
Coordinator (Former Employee), Irving, TXSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: free covered parking, employee discount
Cons: instability
Poor benefits package. No match to 401k. Unstable work environment. Enjoyed my co-workers.
loved working with my team and manager was the best i've ever had
Store manager, jewelry consultant (Former Employee), round rock , cedar park and temple,txAugust 3, 2014
Pros: working with an amazing team and learning so many new things
Cons: not getting recognition for my team when it was well deserved
I would go into work and open the store. verify all cases had the right amount of pieces. throughout the day I would interact with guests and find the piece of jewelry to celebrate that memory for years to come. I had never worked in the jewelry industry before and had to learn from scratch. my manager that hired me taught me everything I needed to be successful. she was the most amazing boss and person I have ever met. I had the opportunity to manage my own store after just 4 months with the company. I managed a team of 6 people who I then had to train and make successful the same way I had. the hardest part was getting consultants that had been with the company for so many years to respect me and follow new policies. the most enjoyable part was getting to help so many people celebrate memories and important occasions in their lives and seeing how happy it made them.
Not worth the time and efforts
NA (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 17, 2014
Been lied to since I started with Zale corporation. From the top down, this company really enjoys lying. I was promised so many things and it never came through, come find out I'm not the only one. I could get over it, but other factors influence my decision on this company that it is not worth any one else's time. You don't need an education here. This job is a career if you okay with easy and not challenging work. The company sets unrealistic goals, and doesn't do a great job marketing.

Jewelry consultant duties, call guests weekly and talk about the promotions every week, sell jewelry, set out new merchandise every week and that's the main stuff. Not much to it. The training is a joke. You have dvds to watch and there slowly making the transition to online courses.

Typical retail schedule, changes every week.

You have to be able to lie, gossip, and expect your boss and or bosses will bad mouth you behind your back. Yes, even the district manager. Seems to be the unprofessional norm here. not much skill needed in this company. It shows from the corporate level down.

Expect to work 32 to 37 hours a week for full time and 10 to 25 hours a week for part time.

The company was just bought by Signet, the company that owns sterling group: Kay's and Jarrod's.
Fun workplace with cafiteria and gym.
Records Clerk (Current Employee), Irving TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch two or three time a year. started getting small bonuses once a year.
Cons: no match on 401k
Pick up the incoming mail, open sort, data entry, file, run reports and help as needed.
Very little training but could learn thing from co workers.
Management was ok, you could get the supplies you needed to do the job. Very little supervision.
The people I worked with were friendly and helpful.
Trying to keep up with the amount of mail and data entry.
Keeping the employee records in correct place.
Hostile working environment
Jewelry Consultant (Former Employee), Michigan City, IndianaJune 18, 2014
Pros: insurance is good!
Cons: company too large to stay on top of employee issues!
Worked for a manager that verbally abused employees, who worked a very light schedule, played favorites with employees including helping a select few make their sales goals along with manipulating the goals. Some employees worked very few nights while others had to pick up and work too many nights, and didn't have to do any administrative duties, while other employees did it all! When employees went to the DM, the manager retaliated against a few and basically did everything within their power to get rid of those employees until they gave up and left because it was such a hostile workplace!!!! Manager would protect certain employees because they were friends outside the store and went out drinking together? In a 6 month period, 4 employees either were fired or quit, that doesn't speak well of the manager, but no one monitors this at home office. Getting transferred was next to impossible, they would rather lose good employees then take care of keeping good people who could sell!
I realize it doesn't sound like I liked my job, I loved what I did and was good at it, just was in a store that was poorly managed:(
Asked to manage like your own business without support of your decisions.
Store Manager (Former Employee), MassJune 16, 2014
Pros: the business! if you truly enjoy selling jewelry, you will enjoy the customers you meet and the day to day job.
Cons: upper management! one department is constantly conflicting with another, directions are received at the store level in a very confusing manner.
Your co-workers become your support system, as you struggle to make the right choices for the business in your store. Management struggles to give you support you need because their hands are constantly tied by someone else; HR, Distribution, Marketing, etc. The most difficult part about the job was sitting down with upper management and discussing the needs to grow your business and them agreeing and understanding what you need and not being able to make it happen. Being held responsible to unattainable goals without the necessary tools - product, payroll hours, or making staffing changes without going through hoops was unbearable.
Great Product, Slow Traffic
General Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 30, 2014
Pros: good benefits, fun co-workers
Cons: poor upper management
You might enjoy this type of job if you enjoy standing on the lease line everyday waiting for someone to come into the store.
Exicitng
Key Holder Salesperson (Former Employee), Mays Landing, NJApril 3, 2014
I love People and to talk with them all day is a dream job. I am a woman and i love jewelry and helping others to find something new or to help them pickout something for thier loved ones was just an awesome experience. I recognize how important people skills can be.
Great company and support
Store Manager (Current Employee), United StatesMarch 5, 2014
Pros: upper management support
Cons: out dated pos systems
They truly have the stores and the Employees best interest at heart. They are dedicated to every individuals success.
good work life balance
Sales Manager (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 11, 2014
great work life balance
difficult to move into District Management level
My past 3 years
Full Time Jewelry Consultant (Current Employee), Joplin, MODecember 16, 2013
I love working for this company. They take pride in every single one of their employees It is a wonderful environment to work in, full of energy, friendly faces, and smiles. They take time in working one on one with you or in teams to make sure you are trained the best in order for you perform your job responsibilities.
Great Discounts
Detail Assistant (Former Employee), Irving, TXDecember 10, 2013
I loved the discount I use to get with this company and I also learned a lot about the jewlery and the process.

1 2 3