If you have ever worked for a software finance company in Banking, insurance, commercial finance, then this is the company for you.
If you like to improve automation by developing tools for such things as parsing and transforming complex structured data, analyzing object graph differences, doing automatic code generation, then please reply.
We want someone with navigational intelligence. Someone who knows how to approach a solution, which questions to ask, and what to try next. Can you tell which classes need refactoring and which classes need another unit test? Do you know when to get creative, and when to keep the code simple? Can you debug a non-deterministic unit test break? Can you write a clean API? Do you know when to test assumptions? Do you know which code structure is more maintainable? Can you tell which code not to touch because it’s doing its job well?
- desire to work collaboratively in a small, cross-functional team, putting customer needs, quality products, communication and team spirit before all else
- interest in and passion for modern development techniques, such as TDD, BDD, DDD, scrum, kanban, pair programming
- passion for code quality that inspires you to write and maintain loads of unit tests
- curiosity and motivation to pick up and try new technologies and programming techniques
- desire for hands-on designing and writing code
- love for sharing knowledge and experience, mentoring others on their journey to becoming great software professionals
- comfort with facilitating healthy discussions about complex topics amidst very smart individuals
- innate desire to constantly work to improve themselves and those around them, as well as the drive to earn and keep the trust and respect of their peers
- focus on results and exceeding customer expectations
- a university degree in Computer Science, plus prior experience with the following:
o Java or Gosu (experience with other jvm-based languages such as Scala, Groovy, etc. will be considered)
o End-to-end web-based business applications development
o Exposure or knowledge of various web-application frameworks such as Spring, Wicket, JSF, Seam, Grails, GWT
o Real-world agile experience is an significant asset
o Some exposure and willingness to do Test-driven development (TDD) and Pair Programming is required
o Should be able to easily navigate XML: XQuery, XPath, SAX, JAXP, etc.
o Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment exposure is preferable
o Perforce and Git experience is preferable
o Tools development experience, including parsers, code-generators, and Unix scripting is an asset
o Linux systems administration experience is an asset
o Web services technologies, such as SOAP, WSDL, REST, Axis, XFire is an asset
o Prior exposure to various J2EE technologies such as EJB, servlets, JSP, JSF, JDBC, JMS, JMX is an asset
o Prior exposure to ORM technologies such as Hibernate, JPA, JDO, HQL is an asset
What will you be working on?
The Toronto Development Center builds a set of products based on the core Policy Center application that significantly accelerate the implementation of various insurance Lines Of Business (e.g. General Liability, Commercial Automobile, Commercial Property, etc.), as well as to help customers manage the impact of regulatory changes. Writing this kind of software for insurance companies worldwide turns out to be surprisingly complex and difficult to get exactly right, and understanding and rising to that challenge can be a lot of fun. Our team is constantly searching to reconfiguring product and data models, etc...
We strongly value agile techniques, test-driven development, and pair programming, baking quality into our products from the very start. Our test framework runs over 100K tests regularly for every branch.