The Yukon Electrical Company Limited has been providing electrical service to Yukoners for over a century. Chartered in 1901, the pioneer company began generating electricity for the residents of Whitehorse using a wood-fired, horizontal piston steam engine. Since then, Yukon Electrical has grown to serve 14,900 customers in 19 communities from south of the Yukon border to north of the Arctic Circle. A private, investor-owned utility, Yukon Electrical is a member of the ATCO Group of Companies. Its head office and service centre is in Whitehorse.
Today, Yukon Electrical purchases power from Yukon Energy Corporation, a crown corporation of the Yukon government, for distribution to its customers in Whitehorse, Marsh Lake, Tagish, Teslin, Haines Junction, Carmacks, Carcross, Keno and Ross River. It maintains back-up generating plants in Carmacks, Teslin, Haines Junction and Ross River in the event of a power interruption. The company generates and distributes its own power in Old Crow, Pelly Crossing, Stewart Crossing, Beaver Creek, Destruction Bay, Upper Liard, Lower Post, Burwash, Watson Lake and Swift River. Yukon Electrical has customer service offices in Whitehorse and Watson Lake and plant operators in nine communities. Yukon Electrical also owns and operates the Fish Lake Hydro plant, on the outskirts of Whitehorse. Built in 1950, the Fish Lake plant remains a steady contributor of power to the Whitehorse-Aishihik-Faro transmission system. – less–ZoomInfo