York University

York University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great people with Great values
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: pay could be better
Great place to work, enjoy the people and the challenges of my job.
Learning experience during period of work
Web Developer and Designer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 21, 2012
Pros: having ample amount of time to get the job done
Cons: communication from the client
- it was a freelance job so I could work on my own time
- learned how to deal with a clients requests
- I was my own manager but I worked with my client
- there were no co-workers
- hardest part of the job is communication between the client and I
- most enjoyable part of the job was working in my own time
Volatile and toxic environment
Overworked and Underpaid (Current Employee), This PlaceOctober 31, 2012
Pros: non
Cons: all
This is a horrible place to work. If the government isn't freezing wages, management is forcing strikes. Sudents and employees alike suffer. All senior leadership is leaving one-by-one--mostly to go to U of T.....Not surprisingly either!
Cutbacks mean you do the work of 3 people, and get paid for one. Everyone is watched like a hawk and scared ro lose – more... their jobs in this economy so it creates a culture of viciousness and backstbbing. – less
Wonderful place of employment
Administrative and Financial Coordinator (Former Employee), Ross Building Room N125October 8, 2012
Pros: meeting new people, benefits and swimming pool.
Cons: waiting for buses in the cold, snowy winters
Meeting client needs is a daily task. Ordering and following up orders for hardware and software. I learned a lot about staff, procurement and budgetary responsibilities in my position. Co-workers were wonderful to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines and keeping within budgetary restraints. The most enjoyable part was getting – more... to know the wonderful staff members employed at York University. – less
great overall
Work/Study Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: great staff
Cons: limited amount of hours
best work environment. great staff. friendly students.

everyone remains very professional.
team work
junior land surveyor (Former Employee), abu dhabiMarch 25, 2012
it was a very strong company with high aims for goals and the interns were given a very great opportunity to work with the professionals.
Great start for career in IT.
Web Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: good on resume, great experience, great people.
Cons: less pay, less hours.
Great place to work if you want to jump start professional career. The experience you get is a lot. The environment is flexible and less stressful. You get your own office sometimes shared by another coworker. Plus the job is very good on the resume. Learned a lot from my manager. The environment gives motivation for academics since you have dealing – more... with faculty. – less
An excellent place to work; great benefits and the atmosphere was very employee oriented.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Faculty of Arts and later Faculty of Fine ArtsJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits.
Cons: supervising employees who were unhappy with another employee's work habits.
My job was a very busy one. I had diverse responsibilities and the people were great to work with. We mostly worked as a team, but when needed I worked independently as well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with situations where co-workers had problems with each other.
Busy and scholarly workplace
Temp Sec Pool - Admin for Business Studies (Former Employee), York, YO10 5DDNovember 5, 2013
Pros: the benefits of being on a university campus & being able to use them.
Cons: parking was sometimes a problem.
Each day was very busy, checking work hand-in timetables for students, giving out information sheets and receiving work from student, logging results and manning the help desk for the students on the Business course.
The most important thing was the correct logging of student results on the database - this was effecting the rest of their lives, and – more... the results had to be accurately added to the database, so the correct score at the end of their degree could be given.
The job was shared with two other ladies, who were as dedicated to helping the students as I was, and also very easy to get on with. We helped each other balance our workloads and had a laugh too!
The hardest part of the job was getting to know all the students - most were Chinese, and their names were difficult to pronounce and spell. The workload was high, and had to be very accurate.
I enjoyed the atmosphere of learning, the challenge of the job, and talking to all the different people! – less
Easy summer part-time job
Data Entry Assistant (Former Employee), North York, ONFebruary 19, 2013
Pros: good pay, good hours, flexible, friendly staff
Cons: pressure to produce on point results
I mainly came in when I wanted, and inputed data for a study on effects of collisions in hockey. The tasks itself were not very difficult, but the stress on accuracy was very important and the results would be based on this. I learned how to use microsoft programs more effectively and to value being accurate in the data I inputed. Working with my co-workers – more... was mainly independent work as well, except for any questions or concerns we may have had. The hardest part of the job would be just the stress of making sure there were no mistakes in the data, as if there were it could jeopardize the whole project. The most enjoyable part of the job was that the hours were really flexible and I could make my own schedule. The pay was pretty decent as well for being a student at my age. – less
Productive environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 27, 2013
Pros: benefits
Learned what it meant to be a productive worker and student.
great knowledge with intelligent students and professors
Transcriber (Former Employee), torontoOctober 31, 2012
Pros: knowledge
Cons: not enough hours
attending classes in a university setting and gaining valuable knowledge
Overall, I loved working at York University
Clerical Budget Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, CanadaMay 27, 2012
- the people I worked with were great
- the workplace environment was very healthy
- my managers were really understanding and helpful
- I worked on many different tasks and learned many new things and improved many skills
- the work/life balance was amazing
Flexible working hours
Exam Invigilator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2012
As exam invigilator,York University will offer you shifts to choose according to your availabilty and convieniency with a compatible wages.
Productive and fun place. Great people to work with
DESKTOP SUPPORT TECHNICIAN (Former Employee), Toronto, Ontario, Canada.January 17, 2012
Pros: great people and culture
Cons: worked as a temporary not permanent
York University was a great place to work.
The people were great to work with and the work environment was wonderful.
The job was less stressful and the schedules were good to work with.

Retireee – August 21, 2012

that is because you are protected by the Union.