York University Employee Reviews

Excellent learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2016
My daily work was only study including my courses and some exams like CSC, CFA and LLQP, because I was a master student in York University.
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Review of York
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2013
At York the hours were very flexible , I would come in check my emails and respond if necessary then get back to the work the needed to be don. What i learned from working at work was how to work in a team while also enhancing my technical skills. Management was very relax we had deadlines but we always managed to keep them. My co-workers were great I was working very closely with a team of 4. The hardest part about working at York was balancing school and work at the same time even though hours were flexible around exam time a student needs a couple extra hours to study and do assignments. The most enjoyable part of working for York was working with great peers, we are all different but can managed to talk about anything while maintaining are values and respect for each other.Furthermore it was a great team environment.
Pros
flexible hours, relax management
Cons
no benefits
Generally, it was satisfying to work here because one is involved, although not directly,in the education of mostly young persons.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2013
My work involved dealing with other employees in other departments on a daily basis. I developed great communication skills over the years and enjoyed interacting with others employees. I honed my management skills as this came into play on a daily basis. I also interacted with members of the public as I met with couriers, and salespersons from various businesses. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually my interaction with persons from all walks of life e.g. students, professors, salespersons, couriers and of course my coworkers.
Pros
Good benefits, flexible work hours
Cons
Exposal to dangerous fumes (waste chemicals) and radioactive waste
Good work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
- research for various professors
- learned valuable workplace skills
- management / administration was somewhat unorganized
Productive and fun environment to work at.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2016
Perfect for current undergraduate students to build experiences and bond with other students over the summer.

I learned to manage my time. I learned to be punctual. I became a better leader in my group.
Pros
student-oriented
Cons
physical job
Amazing Professor
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Psychology16 August 2016
I volunteer there as a Research Assistant for Dr. Maya Yampolsky and she's an amazing Professor and person. She's very upbeat and very encouraging and motivating to work for.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
She's no longer there
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Modern day slavery
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2015
Start early, finish late- long hours for poor compensation, no incentives and no benefits.

There is little or no career progression. Traditionally the concept was in place that a post doc led to an academic position at a university. This simply isn't true.

The only care the management has is the science. The physical or mental health of the employee is neglected.
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde School17 July 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.
Great dental, medical, and health benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 September 2014
Faculty secretaries. We were encouraged to take our breaks. Sometimes it got so busy, we forfeited our breaks. I particularly loved putting book reports together. Many of the professors were kind and understanding. They rewarded secretaries on birthdays and on Secretary day. The company had staff development programs where we learned how best to be an extremely effective secretary. I also loved catering and switchboard duties, which the secretaries took turns in doing. The hardest part of the job was assisting people on the telephone who had no clue what department they wanted or needed. This was not a frequent occurrence. We had to figure that out by asking a series of questions and some people did not like that. Yet, they did not know what department they wanted or needed. The co-workers all got along. There may have been one or two disgruntled co-workers. At the end of the day we went home satisfied that we put in an extremely good day at work and we looked forward to coming back to work the following day.
Pros
Great staff and management and great benefits.
Good job
Usher/ Box Office Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2016
Good job. Genuine passion for the position from management and staff. Management does an excellent job of being flexible and understand work/school conflicts, making it an ideal job for students
Productive and interactive fun workplace
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
Work included a 9am-4pm office day, advising incoming first year students via an online community designed for these students, as well as through emails. I developed effective communication and customer skills, necessary for the job position as well as for everyday life.
Great working experience in an overall sense
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2015
Very good salary. Nice and friendly office culture. Good managers.
Balanced Work-Life time allocation. Excellent job facilities.
Productive And Fun Place To Work
Events Coordinator/Music Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2016
Great people and atmosphere, good experience with both french and English languages The company was a sub section / different campus of my university (York University). They cater and preference students before outside help so the experience was tailored to us students
Excellent work environment, professional and convenient.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
Independent work space. Able to sharpen communication skills and learn how to interview consumers. Very helpful in cultivating interpersonal skills.
Wonderful place of employment
Administrative and Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ross Building Room N1258 October 2012
Meeting client needs is a daily task. Ordering and following up orders for hardware and software. I learned a lot about staff, procurement and budgetary responsibilities in my position. Co-workers were wonderful to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines and keeping within budgetary restraints. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the wonderful staff members employed at York University.
Pros
meeting new people, benefits and swimming pool.
Cons
waiting for buses in the cold, snowy winters
Work/Study
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
There never was a typical day at work, none of my shifts were ever the same, but that is the nature of working with technology and printers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and problem solving as I worked off hours form regular business hours so I did not work with a supervisor present at all times. My co-workers were all pleasant and we worked well together.
Effective learning environment
Student Assistant Strength and conditioning coach (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Supervisor provides an amazing environment conducive to growth and learning. Excellent place to get a taste for the industry
Productive workplace
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
A typical day at work consisted of a minimum of a 3 hour and 45 minute shift with a minimum of 2 study completions. Co-workers were enjoyable to work with especially since majority of them were also undergrad students at York University doing part-time work at this workplace.
Pros
Christmas Lunch
Cons
Gossipy

4.3