York University Employee Reviews

Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA building20 May 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
Work/Study
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
There never was a typical day at work, none of my shifts were ever the same, but that is the nature of working with technology and printers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and problem solving as I worked off hours form regular business hours so I did not work with a supervisor present at all times. My co-workers were all pleasant and we worked well together.
Productive workplace
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
A typical day at work consisted of a minimum of a 3 hour and 45 minute shift with a minimum of 2 study completions. Co-workers were enjoyable to work with especially since majority of them were also undergrad students at York University doing part-time work at this workplace.
Pros
Christmas Lunch
Cons
Gossipy
Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security
a good place to study
international student peer mentor (Former Employee) –  york university7 May 2016
It is a good place to study. I learned a lot in this school. It also lets me meet a lot of new people. I had fun here.
My job duties including communicating with students to help them academically.
a great place to volunteer
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2016
i learned how to communicate Ζ°ith other people, to help others, to be more confidence, and to improve my English. It was fun experience for me .
Graduate funding opportunity
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 April 2016
Teaching assistant position were offered to graduate students to subsidize the cost of the year. Overall, a good experience which allowed me to interact with students and help them in times of need.
Very encouraging and motivational
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2016
There was always something to do on a typical day, no dull moments and a great team to work with. Everyone was productive and helpful. When the results are not as hoped for everyone gave vital recommendations and inputs, which was great.
YorkU Adminstration
Liaison & Database Assistant (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Environmental Studies, Toronto, ON24 April 2016
Being part of the administration at York University gives one the opportunity to delve in Academia, and all the wonderful things that happen there, without requiring a PhD.
York prides itself in providing the utmost professional administration and services, and offers great salaries, benefits, and opportunities to advance.
The Place to Learn
STUDENT AMBASSADOR AND MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2016
I will never regret my time at York University, at this institution, I was able to apply what I was learning into the classroom into on set experience while also making an income working an administrative position for the School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design.

A key skill that is required to manage the set work and administrative job is to find a balance in between both where you know you can successfully complete each job with excellence. That is also the hardest part of the job.

Working creative and administrative at the same time, allowed me to have a taste for both spectrums and find a great network of business- savvy and creative people. The typical day is long but never boring and filled with exciting new challenges.
Pros
Constant available staff for inquiries and teaching.
Great experience
Promotions Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2016
Great and fun place to work. Great team. Great way to make a bit of money during the school year. Made lots of friends, great supervisor.
A very engaging workplace with very ethical people who are very concerned with you personal developement
Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2016
A great engaging and challenging workplace. Lots of friendly people and great support and help. Very flexible hours and tons of support
Dynamic
ESSA- Board Member and Planner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
Great for academic growth. They pushed students to apply theoretically taught skills to a real-life circuit. For example, I had to create a legal code to ensure the interest of fall students were met.
Friendly Environment
Information Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2016
Great place to work with friendly staff and enjoyable atmosphere. A lot of knowledge gained about university operations.
Productive and friendly place to work
Student Parking Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2016
I have been working at York for the last 4 years now and the job is not hard and help you a lot to grow in maturity not only to solve work problems but also towards your life goals.
Pros
helpful when student
Cons
not well paid
Great Expereince
Fundraising Team Member (Current Employee) –  York University3 April 2016
I love working here good community and incentives to do your best work. There are great opportunities to advance in the business
York is a great place!
Undergraduate Course Instructor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 March 2016
I've been a PhD student mostly during my years at York University. As a student, I've taught many courses. I've always loved my years on campus.
Fun to talk to different people from different countries
Community Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2016
This job is an amazing job. You are able to go to trips with the students, from Niagara Falls to the CN Tower, and also learn about different people's cultures and lifestyles from different countries.
Pros
Talk to students from different countries
Good Experience
Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2016
It was very nice experience working at the York university call centre. I got an opportunity to work with a lot of new people. It helped me improve my communication skills.
Pros
Better communication skills
Cons
Pressure of collecting funds from the Alumni
Interesting position as Teaching Assistant
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Part Time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2016
For six years now, I have been working at York Univesity. My duties range from marking copies, leading lectures (on occasions), and preparing tests.

4.3