York University Employee Reviews

Fun and interactive, physically demanding, no advancement opportunities
Text Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
I worked mainly the afternoon shift, partly assisting students find their text based on course schedules/codes through the inventory system and from printouts. The remainder of the shift was restocking shelves once the store closed working until midnight. Team work is essential, sharing information with each other helps students.

Hardest part: physically lifting very heavy boxes and restocking

Enjoyable part: working with new and old students, discussing subjects of study and relating own experiences at university

I learned to use a new system to look up the books related to different courses.

Management is split between upper and lower floors; lower floor (text department) managers were very flexible, helpful. Upper floor a bit impatient and demanding.

Unfortunately no advancement opportunities (even for full-time regular employees in the textbook department)
Pros
meeting the students, helping them find books, could listen to earphones if on late shift
Cons
short breaks, fast learning curve, no full time opportunities
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde School17 July 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time
Good work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
- research for various professors
- learned valuable workplace skills
- management / administration was somewhat unorganized
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Excellent work environment, professional and convenient.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
Independent work space. Able to sharpen communication skills and learn how to interview consumers. Very helpful in cultivating interpersonal skills.
I learned a lot here
International Student Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  York university8 June 2016
I learned a lot here. I met a lot of people here. I not only learned from school, book, professors but also other students.
Productive and interactive fun workplace
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
Work included a 9am-4pm office day, advising incoming first year students via an online community designed for these students, as well as through emails. I developed effective communication and customer skills, necessary for the job position as well as for everyday life.
Straightforward
Residence Life Night Porter (Former Employee) –  North York, ON8 June 2016
-Rented equipment
-worked with security
-customer service experience
-small team of coworkers, got to know them easily
Pros
Very close to home, got to know other residents in building
Cons
hours ran until 1AM
Productive And Fun Place To Work
Events Coordinator/Music Director (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2016
Great people and atmosphere, good experience with both french and English languages The company was a sub section / different campus of my university (York University). They cater and preference students before outside help so the experience was tailored to us students
Effective learning environment
Student Assistant Strength and conditioning coach (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Supervisor provides an amazing environment conducive to growth and learning. Excellent place to get a taste for the industry
Promotions Staff
Senior Promotions Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2016
Great supervisor, loved promoted the York Lions. Flexible hours and enthusiastic staff made the job enjoyable and valuable for networking.
Good job
Usher/ Box Office Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2016
Good job. Genuine passion for the position from management and staff. Management does an excellent job of being flexible and understand work/school conflicts, making it an ideal job for students
Amazing work environment
(TA) Introduction to World Religion Course (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
I learned many new things from York University. The ability to interact with various people on a daily basis helps to develop yourself to your utmost potential.
very good salary for graduate student to cover their tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2016
Basically just support professor whatever they need about the curriculum. holding office hour is very important and the best way to communicate to your students.
Pros
good salary for part-time job
Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA building20 May 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
Work/Study
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2016
There never was a typical day at work, none of my shifts were ever the same, but that is the nature of working with technology and printers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and problem solving as I worked off hours form regular business hours so I did not work with a supervisor present at all times. My co-workers were all pleasant and we worked well together.
Productive workplace
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2016
A typical day at work consisted of a minimum of a 3 hour and 45 minute shift with a minimum of 2 study completions. Co-workers were enjoyable to work with especially since majority of them were also undergrad students at York University doing part-time work at this workplace.
Pros
Christmas Lunch
Cons
Gossipy
Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security

4.4