York University Employee Reviews in Canada

Great
Vice President External (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2015
Fantastic organization and academic facility.Working at York and my time as an undergrad I have made great connections with life long mentors and friends.
Fun and stressful
VP of Finance (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Managing the finance could be challenging sometimes, but with the help from colleagues everything comes much easier. Fun and stressful at the same time.
flexible with supportive management
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Contingent work with flexibility required for students to balance their work and academic responsibilities. Helps a student grow personally and get an insight into the workplace atmosphere and experience.
Needs to be more forward thinking
Associate Director, Schulich Executive Education (Former Employee) –  Toronto ONOctober 24, 2015
To a degree stuck in an old fashion mindset and needs to be more innovative and forward thinking. Many people with potential but leadership holds them back a bit
Working At York
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Human Rights and Equity StudiesOctober 15, 2015
Working at York University was certainly the most fascinating employment experience I have had. I conducted Research on women's mental health and was able to extend my knowledge of various research methodologies. I learned that knowledge is boundless if I open my mind to explore new ways of knowing. I had excellent collaboration with my co-workers our work extended beyond team to becoming familial. The hardest aspect of my work is triangulating the research through data collection in an effort to integrate the research. Overall I enjoyed every moment and every aspect of the job, it was truly a rewarding experience, which enabled self-discovery.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travel
It was two days
POLL ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  York UniversityOctober 15, 2015
Normal; nothing really excited. I worked for two days and it wasn't stressful; nice coworkers and the person watching over me was very sweet.
productive and rewarding place to work
Registrarial Assistant Triage Desk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 21, 2015
September Rush brings a lot of chaos to the Registrarial Services' department. However, through the cooperation of the management team, fellow coworkers and other departments, we were able to work efficiently while still providing one-on-one assistance when needed.
Great working experience in an overall sense
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Very good salary. Nice and friendly office culture. Good managers.
Balanced Work-Life time allocation. Excellent job facilities.
my summary
Publishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 11, 2015
fun work place with great management and supervisors. Not all about numbers but how well you work with one another is important. follow the safety guidelines and easy to approach with any concerns.
Great Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2015
Amazing Place to work at :) Great Pay, Friendly Environment, Everyone Respect Everyone. Everyone is a helping hand at this place. Love to Serve customers.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Temporary
Great place for advancement
Seasonal Clinical Course Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioSeptember 2, 2015
It has been great working in all these companies. They have given me the opportunity to meet a lot of people and to grow professionally
very effective and useful program
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2015
I recommend York university for master student
Working at York university is very good and with a lot of benefits
All classes were challenging with exceptionally knowledgeable, caring facilitators. The support available from all departments was helpful and sincere. The communication with instructors, classmates, and advisers was exceptional. Sharing of life experiences making lifelong friends around the world expands knowledge and cultural experiences. Great university all around!
I only gave it a 3 because it wouldn't allow me to give it a 2
Clerical (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJuly 30, 2015
-Boring, repetitive work
-Late hours on campus
-Parking was quite far and security took forever to come around
-Supervisor was young and full of herself (not fun to work with)
Awesome internship
Technical Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Keele and SteelesJuly 9, 2015
Internship at York prepared me for the real world. I got to learn the basis for IT support and served as a stepping stone for my career. I dealt with technical issues dealing with PC, software and hardware as well as printing issues.
Pros
I studied at York
Cons
Not a corporate environment
Proactive and Fun Workplace
Peer Mentor (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be meeting with a lot of new students at the university, I learned a lot of patience and understanding others perspective.
RUINED MY SUMMER. NOW I TRAVEL 2 HOURS TO BE STUCK WITH THIS JOB
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  torontoJuly 7, 2015
The did not go through with their contract, the contract was for 500 hours. they only gave me about 200. I had other many other offers to take in the summer since I go to schulich but I chose this because I thought I would save time on traveling becasue I will come here for school anyway but. they only gave me 6 hous and forced me to take unpaid an hour break in the middle and. RUINED MY SUMMER. NOW I TRAVEL 2 HOURS TO BE STUCK WITH THIS JOB
wonderful school
Free Tax Clinic Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJune 30, 2015
The people there are very nice. The work environment is very comfortable. People there would try their best to provide assistance to the new-starter.
Fun working place
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto,Ont.June 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working at York Univercity, we had the best management and great team work. I didn't have a full time position but the hours given to me was good.
Productive and very helpful staff in this lab
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Dr Patricia Lakin Thomas is most likely the best professor at the department of Biology in YorkU, Very helpful and insightful, its an absolute pleasure to work for her, she follows up, doesn't stress the lab members, is always available and very very approachable, spends hours teaching you more than you ever need if you are interested and at the end of the day she is a true supporter of the project and the lab members. I was lucky to work in her lab. Her great approach and help around the lab makes the atmosphere a very professional, caring and truly friendly and pleasant to work with.
Can be very difficulty to find permament placement
Temporary Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  TorontoJune 12, 2015
The university can be very top heavy in management positions. I have found that the union can either work for you or against you depending on how much you are willing to put up with.

4.3