York University Employee Reviews

Good employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Great work life balance. It is unionized which means work security, good benefits and reasonable hours. Very good place to work for unionized employees but not good for non-union workers.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth, temporary work
Challenging and interesting.
Music Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
I have been given many opportunities and rose to the challenge.I started teaching once aweek private lessons only and quickly grew to teach and lecture large classes of around 80 students at a time. I have also directed guitar ensembles of 24 students performing music I arranged.
Pros
Great students.
Cons
Inadequate teaching rooms and technology.
Fun
Call Centre Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Called Alumni day to day asking for donations to the school, great co-workers and an excellent environment . The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get alumna/alumni to donate to the university.
Discipline
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Working in an Academic environment often evoke discipline and hard work, considering the calibre of people that you have to work with. As a research assistance, i was able to apply some of the theories learned in the classrooms.
Pros
highly Organized
Cons
Fast-paced workplace with very courteous management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accommodation and Conference Services-Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The front-desk staff was the front line for student housing and all problems and queries first came to us before being referred to the appropriate authority. The experience was unique in that, having been a student and on the other side of the table, it was interesting to see and learn what all went into operating the university residences smoothly and effectively. It was also a fantastic way of meeting new people from diverse backgrounds and learning to interact with them. I further built on my customer service skills and my experience of working both individually and in a team, in a fast-paced environment. The most important thing I learnt was that always having an answer is not the solution to every problem and, instead, being empathetic and a good listener can go a long way.
positive experience
Statistical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
great place to work. great management really enjoyed my job and had a very positive experience overall there. had great kind co-workers.
A pleasure to play for special events
Co-founder of Twin Harmony Quartet (Current Employee) –  Flutist5 December 2016
Twin Harmony Quartet, which formed at York University is comprised of two flutes and two cellos. We perform for weddings , graduations, or any other special event.
A Great University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
I have been going to York for over ten years. It is filled with wonderful teachers and students not to mention a beautiful campus. I would definitely recommend working there.
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
wonderful environment
Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
the culture at this institution is excellent snd everyone i worked with were amazing,good and profitable advice from superiors.
Had no issues what so ever during my time there.
Just started working here.
A/V TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
it's been great so far. Staff are great and professional and management are very polite. I recently started this job so I'm still learning more about the whole experience.
Fun place to work. Provides opportunity to learn and grow.
Promotions and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2016
Early start to a day. I learned to communicate effectively. Polished my Marketing and promotions skills. Management is friendly and encouraging. Co workers have positive energy. Paperwork gets to be a little annoying sometimes. The Best part is having to interact with 60,000 students under one roof which helps grow your communication skills and ability to develop Customer service experience.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
old building
Productive and fun work place
Front desk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  YORK RESIDENCE4 November 2016
working with york university built my confidence and thought me great customer service. I gained so much from this company such as audience speaking , tackling customers problems and helping colleagues with their job.
Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours
Research was Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
developed a lot of academic expertise through research and learnt to work independently. Conducted hours of library research and online databases. Performed several lab procedures and tests. Very Good Experience
Pros
experience
Cons
overtime work
Excellent learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2016
My daily work was only study including my courses and some exams like CSC, CFA and LLQP, because I was a master student in York University.
Productive and fun place to work with wonderful co-workers.
Bookstore gate and Line Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2016
This was a fun place to work.The managers were efficient and understanding. Coworkers are willing to help out. Overall it is a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
Good experience of customer service
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
• Build customer relationship
• Open/Close the cash register (counting money and balances)
• Maintaining clear store condition
• Quickly understanding customer’s needs
• Serving best goods and products
• Cashiered with two cash registers at once in tandem to maximize customer flow
Pros
Free lunch
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3