York University Employee Reviews

Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
awesome experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  North York, ON30 September 2016
once and a life time experience, learned lots about event managing and how to be vigilant. Developed and refined a lot of skills. Great overall time and amazing team
Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
Great hours, just taught 15 hours a week while studying my own Masters Degree. Wonderful co-workers and great students. Apart of a good union also so we were paid great.
Fun work place with student employees.
Senior Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Calling york alumni on a regular basis. Before the shift starts, there is a question of the day so that everybody gets a chance to talk and open up before the shift begins. The hardest part of the job was to talk to strangers on a daily basis not knowing what the other person on the phone will give me as a situation to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and management. Very friendly management, who were easy to talk too.
Pros
Stickers for time off the phone
Cons
Limited working hours
Interesting and Engaging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2016
I really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant for the Environment and Culture class. My students were very interested in the material, which made for good discussions. I also enjoyed working with the professor. He gave me a lot of freedom.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
Productive and fun place to work
Admissions Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A great academic institution and a very nice work environment. You get to interact with a lot of people from different parts of the world
Pros
great working culture
Cons
none that I can think of
Overly competitve
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
My experince working in the call centre was that if you weren't bringing in tons of money you weren't good enough. I hated that feeling and so did many others who were working there. I worked here for less than a year and management expected me to be really good at the job and rake in tons of money after just two months working there. I was basically told that if I couldn't make the money then I wouldn't have a job. I didn't feel welcomed or comfortable working there. If you have any other choice don't work at York University's Call Centre. The only good thing was the pay.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management

Want to know more about York University?

Ask a question
Amazing Professor
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Psychology16 August 2016
I volunteer there as a Research Assistant for Dr. Maya Yampolsky and she's an amazing Professor and person. She's very upbeat and very encouraging and motivating to work for.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
She's no longer there
Productive and fun environment to work at.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2016
Perfect for current undergraduate students to build experiences and bond with other students over the summer.

I learned to manage my time. I learned to be punctual. I became a better leader in my group.
Pros
student-oriented
Cons
physical job
Good workplace and environment
T2K Experiment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2016
It was flexible hours as long as the work is done on time. Learned alot about the experiment I was working on. Communication and organization with the professor was clear and straightforward, and the coworkers were awesome to work with.
Not the best company
Human Resources Assistant, Office of the Dean (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 August 2016
Too many changes and not enough workforce to support.

Culture of number pushers and lies.

No transparency

high expectation and low compensation
Fun and interactive, physically demanding, no advancement opportunities
Text Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
I worked mainly the afternoon shift, partly assisting students find their text based on course schedules/codes through the inventory system and from printouts. The remainder of the shift was restocking shelves once the store closed working until midnight. Team work is essential, sharing information with each other helps students.

Hardest part: physically lifting very heavy boxes and restocking

Enjoyable part: working with new and old students, discussing subjects of study and relating own experiences at university

I learned to use a new system to look up the books related to different courses.

Management is split between upper and lower floors; lower floor (text department) managers were very flexible, helpful. Upper floor a bit impatient and demanding.

Unfortunately no advancement opportunities (even for full-time regular employees in the textbook department)
Pros
meeting the students, helping them find books, could listen to earphones if on late shift
Cons
short breaks, fast learning curve, no full time opportunities
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde School17 July 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time
Good work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
- research for various professors
- learned valuable workplace skills
- management / administration was somewhat unorganized
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4