York University

York University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Place to work at
Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2013
Pros: lots of vacation time
Cons: no parking
Like a small village, great pay and work load, complicated management structures and shifting directions.
Great learning environment.
Photo Lab Monitor/Technician (Former Employee), 4700 Keele St Toronto, ON M3J 1P3August 6, 2013
Pros: access to studio.
Cons: not enough hours.
My time working as Photo Lab Technician in York University was a great opportunity to learn and gain experience in photography. Assisting students with inquiries regarding lighting or camera equipment. I was also in charge of making sure chemicals for film development were fresh and ready for students to use. I had to keep studio clean and make sure – more... that students were following necessary safety rules. – less
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant - Media Studies Department (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2013
I loved TAing, and found the experience really fulfilling. Unfortunately, at an institutional level, York University is a wasteland of aggressive political ideology, systemic laziness and grade padding. I wouldn't recommend the faculty of arts or graduate studies to anyone who could conceivably avoid it.

I do not speak for their business and law schools – more... which have good reputations. – less
Great professors
Research Project Student, Department of Chemistry (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 26, 2013
Good environment for learning
Old instruments in the lab
Not safe for girls late night
The experience was meaniful.
Plumbing Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2013
I completed my co-op at York University; it was a great learning opportunity for me. The work environment was positive; I worked within a team. The experience was meaniful.
Great University
Teaching Assistant - Department of Economics (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 22, 2013
York University is a great place to study and work. You get easy access to great resource and people.
Very rewarding experience
Frosh Leader (Volunteer) (Former Employee), TorontoJuly 16, 2013
It was the duty of Frosh Leaders to make sure that new students at the university had a safe and amazing time during frosh week. This was such a rewarding experience and it was great to meet hundreds of new students each year and help them adjust to university life.
Productive workplace.
Research Consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2013
Gained valuable experience coordinating and managing the relaunch of a website. Enjoyable coworkers.
Productive and fun work place
Assistant, Noise for youth program (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 27, 2013
Pros: free snacks
Cons: long hours
schedule appointments with students
arrange activities
create ideas for games
give lectures for students
team skills were required
my co-workers were very polite and always told me I was working hard
there wasn't any challenge I faced
I really enjoyed doing the activities with the students I was with.
Fun work place
System Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2013
Enjoy providing solutions to students; learning while working;
Supervisor - Student Media Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2013
Pros: beauty
Very nice co-workers;
A very relaxed environment;
Management was strict yet very kind.
fun place to work at, pay not that great.
Event Staff at Tait (Former Employee), TaitMay 14, 2013
Pros: free merchandise/great discount on merchandise
Cons: pay wasn't that great.
typical day at work requires setting up the equipment needed for the matches and then assisting the referees throughout the game and at the end of the match, putting everything away.
i learned that time management and open communication with your team is key.
my co-workers were great people and really worked hard.
the hardest part of the job was getting – more... everything set up in the allotted time.
most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to watch the matches. – less
Fallowed policy and procedures prioritized tasks, used reminder lists, and to-do-list. monitored e-mail throughout the day and cleared all the message
Finance and Procurement Service, Receptionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2013
Pros: celebrated birthdays
Cons: didn't have any long hours
Typical day at work would be busy with Receptionist duties carry out daily tasks. Learning everyday dealing with public, and staff members. in-order to manage my time I made a to-do-list, and a reminder list. I prioritized tasks that needed to be done immediately.
As the day progressed, I cleared my e-mails and retrieved messages and returned called – more... as soon as possible. My co-workers were very nice and helpful. I didn't find any thing hard about the job. It was easy my co-worker was such a nice person, she trained me well for this job. I had a great time working at the Finance department. – less
Challenging and Competitive workplace
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2013
Opportunity allowed me to develop my Customer service, organization, and time management skills. Also an opportunity to work as a part of a team and was promoted to team leader. Most challenging was reporting mishaps to the department cordinator.
It was a great working experience!
Night porter (Former Employee), York student residencesApril 28, 2013
It was a great working experience, I learnt a lot, especially how to deal with customers and residents' parents and guests.
Productive and Fun workplace
Youth Outreach Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2013
Pros: free food (sometimes)
Cons: temporary job
The most enjoyable part of the job was planning the fundraising events. The hardest part of the job was trying to reach our goal for the fundraisers. This job taught me how to work as a team and to do my part in order for the team to function.
York University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Keele-Toronto CampusApril 21, 2013
I typically would find data on research, while interviewing people and preparing transcriptions. I learned how to use multiple avenues to find information needed. The hardest part was having little human interaction throughout the day. I found the most enjoyable thing about this position is the flexibility to complete assignments throughout the day.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK--FUN PEOPLE, GREAT PERKS!
HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR (Current Employee), BENNETT CENTRE FOR STUDENT SERVICESMarch 12, 2013
YORK IS AN EXCITING COMMUNITY OF OVER 60,000 STUDENTS AND FACULTY. THERE IS ALWAYS A BUZZ IN THE AIR. THE WORK IS CHALLENGING YET VERY REWARDING.
Review of York
Web Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, relax management
Cons: no benefits
At York the hours were very flexible , I would come in check my emails and respond if necessary then get back to the work the needed to be don. What i learned from working at work was how to work in a team while also enhancing my technical skills. Management was very relax we had deadlines but we always managed to keep them. My co-workers were great – more... I was working very closely with a team of 4. The hardest part about working at York was balancing school and work at the same time even though hours were flexible around exam time a student needs a couple extra hours to study and do assignments. The most enjoyable part of working for York was working with great peers, we are all different but can managed to talk about anything while maintaining are values and respect for each other.Furthermore it was a great team environment. – less
Excellent university for Grad assistants
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2013
As a grad assistant, no other university in Canada is able to match the pay and the benefits. You are given more responsibilities and great benefits.

About York University

York University is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is Canada's third-largest university. York University – Read more