York University Employee Reviews in Canada

Very productive and learning environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Lot of reading and writing as the main task was to translate documents from french to English. Very good experience as it sharpened my English and writing reports. Answering calls, taking messages, replying to some emails, greetings guest to the office.
Pros
Sharpened my english
Working At York
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Human Rights and Equity StudiesOctober 15, 2015
Working at York University was certainly the most fascinating employment experience I have had. I conducted Research on women's mental health and was able to extend my knowledge of various research methodologies. I learned that knowledge is boundless if I open my mind to explore new ways of knowing. I had excellent collaboration with my co-workers our work extended beyond team to becoming familial. The hardest aspect of my work is triangulating the research through data collection in an effort to integrate the research. Overall I enjoyed every moment and every aspect of the job, it was truly a rewarding experience, which enabled self-discovery.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travel
Great dental, medical, and health benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Faculty secretaries. We were encouraged to take our breaks. Sometimes it got so busy, we forfeited our breaks. I particularly loved putting book reports together. Many of the professors were kind and understanding. They rewarded secretaries on birthdays and on Secretary day. The company had staff development programs where we learned how best to be an extremely effective secretary. I also loved catering and switchboard duties, which the secretaries took turns in doing. The hardest part of the job was assisting people on the telephone who had no clue what department they wanted or needed. This was not a frequent occurrence. We had to figure that out by asking a series of questions and some people did not like that. Yet, they did not know what department they wanted or needed. The co-workers all got along. There may have been one or two disgruntled co-workers. At the end of the day we went home satisfied that we put in an extremely good day at work and we looked forward to coming back to work the following day.
Pros
great staff and management and great benefits.
Reading and translating documents from one language to another
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
A typical day at work will include a lot of reading and translating document from English to French

Answering calls and taking note if required

Organizing and filling different documents

Scheduling appointments for the professor as well as greeting students and other people coming to see her
productive and fun workplace in residence
Residence Life Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2016
-3 hours shifts
-work 9 to 10 times a month
-get homework done during shifts
-work with peers/people you live with
-meet everyone you live with
-keep the residence safe
Great workplace
Sustainability Assistant in Mobilization (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
Being apart of YorkU's sustainability initiatives and outreach engagement is a very fulfilling position to be in. The work environment is great and everyone in the office was always friendly. The only flaw to the position I was in, is that it was a year contract because I graduated the year after and could not be part of the work study.
Wonderful place of employment
Administrative and Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ross Building Room N125October 8, 2012
Meeting client needs is a daily task. Ordering and following up orders for hardware and software. I learned a lot about staff, procurement and budgetary responsibilities in my position. Co-workers were wonderful to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines and keeping within budgetary restraints. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the wonderful staff members employed at York University.
Pros
meeting new people, benefits and swimming pool.
Cons
waiting for buses in the cold, snowy winters
Teaching Assistant
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 20, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job was connecting with my students and seeing them engage with the course material.The course was an intro to film which meant that the material was not that challenging or riveting, so each week I had to find a creative way to present to my students in order for them to remain interested in the class.
Great opportunity
Co-founder/Coordinator/ Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 8, 2016
I had the chance to learn and meet interesting people. I have the opportunity to work with professors, teachers, and students.
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 28, 2015
Good environment and friendly co-workers

York university cares about the treatment of their students and staff!

Much recommended place to work
productive and rewarding place to work
Registrarial Assistant Triage Desk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 21, 2015
September Rush brings a lot of chaos to the Registrarial Services' department. However, through the cooperation of the management team, fellow coworkers and other departments, we were able to work efficiently while still providing one-on-one assistance when needed.
• Conducted the examination codes and built up the relationships among teachers and students
Exam Invigilator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 27, 2015
-Conducted the examination codes and built up the personal relationship with students and professors
-Checked students ID and helped them if they have any question
A place for professional and personal growth
Budget Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Great opportunity for professional and personal growth; always a pleasant team to work with; support from colleagues and management is always evident. Always looking forward to head to work.
Pros
working environment and benefits
Cons
no secondments
great environment to work
cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 17, 2015
I enjoyed to work for York Housing Department as the manages is very understandable. I had great experience working there.
flexible with supportive management
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 2, 2015
Contingent work with flexibility required for students to balance their work and academic responsibilities. Helps a student grow personally and get an insight into the workplace atmosphere and experience.
Productive and Fun workplace
Youth Outreach Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 21, 2013
The most enjoyable part of the job was planning the fundraising events. The hardest part of the job was trying to reach our goal for the fundraisers. This job taught me how to work as a team and to do my part in order for the team to function.
Pros
free food (sometimes)
Cons
temporary job
Needs to be more forward thinking
Associate Director, Schulich Executive Education (Former Employee) –  Toronto ONOctober 24, 2015
To a degree stuck in an old fashion mindset and needs to be more innovative and forward thinking. Many people with potential but leadership holds them back a bit
Great
Vice President External (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 7, 2015
Fantastic organization and academic facility.Working at York and my time as an undergrad I have made great connections with life long mentors and friends.
my summary
Publishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 11, 2015
fun work place with great management and supervisors. Not all about numbers but how well you work with one another is important. follow the safety guidelines and easy to approach with any concerns.
Professional atmosphere
TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2015
Very unstructured office and time frames. The people were professional, but the way the business was run for the graduate students was not.

4.3