York University

York University Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Supervisor - Student Media Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 4, 2013
Pros: beauty
Very nice co-workers;
A very relaxed environment;
Management was strict yet very kind.
Good environment
Student (Former Employee), Keele CampusMay 14, 2013
It is a great environment for computer science students like myself. I really enjoyed the atmosphere on campus and had fun collaborating with peers on projects and coding for hours for assignments.
fun place to work at, pay not that great.
Event Staff at Tait (Former Employee), TaitMay 14, 2013
Pros: free merchandise/great discount on merchandise
Cons: pay wasn't that great.
typical day at work requires setting up the equipment needed for the matches and then assisting the referees throughout the game and at the end of the match, putting everything away.
i learned that time management and open communication with your team is key.
my co-workers were great people and really worked hard.
the hardest part of the job was getting – more... everything set up in the allotted time.
most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to watch the matches. – less
Fallowed policy and procedures prioritized tasks, used reminder lists, and to-do-list. monitored e-mail throughout the day and cleared all the message
Finance and Procurement Service, Receptionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 6, 2013
Pros: celebrated birthdays
Cons: didn't have any long hours
Typical day at work would be busy with Receptionist duties carry out daily tasks. Learning everyday dealing with public, and staff members. in-order to manage my time I made a to-do-list, and a reminder list. I prioritized tasks that needed to be done immediately.
As the day progressed, I cleared my e-mails and retrieved messages and returned called – more... as soon as possible. My co-workers were very nice and helpful. I didn't find any thing hard about the job. It was easy my co-worker was such a nice person, she trained me well for this job. I had a great time working at the Finance department. – less
Challenging and Competitive workplace
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 30, 2013
Opportunity allowed me to develop my Customer service, organization, and time management skills. Also an opportunity to work as a part of a team and was promoted to team leader. Most challenging was reporting mishaps to the department cordinator.
It was a great working experience!
Night porter (Former Employee), York student residencesApril 28, 2013
It was a great working experience, I learnt a lot, especially how to deal with customers and residents' parents and guests.
Productive and Fun workplace
Youth Outreach Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 21, 2013
Pros: free food (sometimes)
Cons: temporary job
The most enjoyable part of the job was planning the fundraising events. The hardest part of the job was trying to reach our goal for the fundraisers. This job taught me how to work as a team and to do my part in order for the team to function.
York University
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Keele-Toronto CampusApril 21, 2013
I typically would find data on research, while interviewing people and preparing transcriptions. I learned how to use multiple avenues to find information needed. The hardest part was having little human interaction throughout the day. I found the most enjoyable thing about this position is the flexibility to complete assignments throughout the day.
GREAT PLACE TO WORK--FUN PEOPLE, GREAT PERKS!
HUMAN RESOURCES ADVISOR (Current Employee), BENNETT CENTRE FOR STUDENT SERVICESMarch 12, 2013
YORK IS AN EXCITING COMMUNITY OF OVER 60,000 STUDENTS AND FACULTY. THERE IS ALWAYS A BUZZ IN THE AIR. THE WORK IS CHALLENGING YET VERY REWARDING.
Review of York
Web Developer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, relax management
Cons: no benefits
At York the hours were very flexible , I would come in check my emails and respond if necessary then get back to the work the needed to be don. What i learned from working at work was how to work in a team while also enhancing my technical skills. Management was very relax we had deadlines but we always managed to keep them. My co-workers were great – more... I was working very closely with a team of 4. The hardest part about working at York was balancing school and work at the same time even though hours were flexible around exam time a student needs a couple extra hours to study and do assignments. The most enjoyable part of working for York was working with great peers, we are all different but can managed to talk about anything while maintaining are values and respect for each other.Furthermore it was a great team environment. – less
Excellent university for Grad assistants
Research & Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 6, 2013
As a grad assistant, no other university in Canada is able to match the pay and the benefits. You are given more responsibilities and great benefits.
Research assistant
Linguistics Field Worker (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 24, 2013
Pros: my co-workers were great
Linguistics research is very interesting. I learned how to transcribe information and how to use computer programs.
York Univeristy T.Aship
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2013
York University is generally a great place to work however the parking is incredibly expensive and campus safety is an issue.
An environment where striving for success makes you work at your best potential.
Undergraduate Honours Thesis Student (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2013
I am currently working alongisde a PhD candidate on his project, to get his papers published for this laboratory.
I learned the importance of repetitiveness, in order to perfect a task or technique, and planning ahead to ensure one is not rushing.
My co-workers are patient, friendly, and helpful, which was very important for me especially being the – more... newest member of the lab with the least experience.
The hardest part would be that in science, some results fail to produce or be observed. Everything must be repeated, and reproduced multiple times in order to be considered validated.
My favourite part of the lab is that everyday is a learning experience. Never does a day go by where I did not learn some new information. – less
Good Experience
Office Assistance as Cooperative Education student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2013
It was good experience for a co-op job. Everyday I would help out in the office, I learned a lot from this job. Like how universities work in terms of handling exams, etc. It was not a hard job.
Great people with Great values
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: great work environment
Cons: pay could be better
Great place to work, enjoy the people and the challenges of my job.
Learning experience during period of work
Web Developer and Designer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 21, 2012
Pros: having ample amount of time to get the job done
Cons: communication from the client
- it was a freelance job so I could work on my own time
- learned how to deal with a clients requests
- I was my own manager but I worked with my client
- there were no co-workers
- hardest part of the job is communication between the client and I
- most enjoyable part of the job was working in my own time
Volatile and toxic environment
Overworked and Underpaid (Current Employee), This PlaceOctober 31, 2012
Pros: non
Cons: all
This is a horrible place to work. If the government isn't freezing wages, management is forcing strikes. Sudents and employees alike suffer. All senior leadership is leaving one-by-one--mostly to go to U of T.....Not surprisingly either!
Cutbacks mean you do the work of 3 people, and get paid for one. Everyone is watched like a hawk and scared ro lose – more... their jobs in this economy so it creates a culture of viciousness and backstbbing. – less
Wonderful place of employment
Administrative and Financial Coordinator (Former Employee), Ross Building Room N125October 8, 2012
Pros: meeting new people, benefits and swimming pool.
Cons: waiting for buses in the cold, snowy winters
Meeting client needs is a daily task. Ordering and following up orders for hardware and software. I learned a lot about staff, procurement and budgetary responsibilities in my position. Co-workers were wonderful to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines and keeping within budgetary restraints. The most enjoyable part was getting – more... to know the wonderful staff members employed at York University. – less
great overall
Work/Study Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Pros: great staff
Cons: limited amount of hours
best work environment. great staff. friendly students.

everyone remains very professional.