York University Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and stressful
VP of Finance (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 5, 2015
Managing the finance could be challenging sometimes, but with the help from colleagues everything comes much easier. Fun and stressful at the same time.
Professional atmosphere
TUTOR (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 10, 2015
Very unstructured office and time frames. The people were professional, but the way the business was run for the graduate students was not.
Productive and very helpful staff in this lab
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Dr Patricia Lakin Thomas is most likely the best professor at the department of Biology in YorkU, Very helpful and insightful, its an absolute pleasure to work for her, she follows up, doesn't stress the lab members, is always available and very very approachable, spends hours teaching you more than you ever need if you are interested and at the end of the day she is a true supporter of the project and the lab members. I was lucky to work in her lab. Her great approach and help around the lab makes the atmosphere a very professional, caring and truly friendly and pleasant to work with.
my summary
Publishing Assistant (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 11, 2015
fun work place with great management and supervisors. Not all about numbers but how well you work with one another is important. follow the safety guidelines and easy to approach with any concerns.
Great Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Seasonal) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: Great Pay
Cons: Temporary
Amazing Place to work at :) Great Pay, Friendly Environment, Everyone Respect Everyone. Everyone is a helping hand at this place. Love to Serve customers.
Awesome internship
Technical Support Intern (Former Employee), Keele and SteelesJuly 9, 2015
Pros: I studied at York
Cons: Not a corporate environment
Internship at York prepared me for the real world. I got to learn the basis for IT support and served as a stepping stone for my career. I dealt with technical issues dealing with PC, software and hardware as well as printing issues.
It was two days
POLL ATTENDANT (Former Employee), York UniversityOctober 15, 2015
Normal; nothing really excited. I worked for two days and it wasn't stressful; nice coworkers and the person watching over me was very sweet.
Great working experience in an overall sense
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Very good salary. Nice and friendly office culture. Good managers.
Balanced Work-Life time allocation. Excellent job facilities.
Great place for advancement
Seasonal Clinical Course Director (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioSeptember 2, 2015
It has been great working in all these companies. They have given me the opportunity to meet a lot of people and to grow professionally
Modern day slavery
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
Start early, finish late- long hours for poor compensation, no incentives and no benefits.

There is little or no career progression. Traditionally the concept was in place that a post doc led to an academic position at a university. This simply isn't true.

The only care the management has is the science. The physical or mental health of the employee is neglected.
I only gave it a 3 because it wouldn't allow me to give it a 2
Clerical (Former Employee), North York, ONJuly 30, 2015
-Boring, repetitive work
-Late hours on campus
-Parking was quite far and security took forever to come around
-Supervisor was young and full of herself (not fun to work with)
Amazing atmosphere
Research Assistant (Former Employee), York UniversityMarch 19, 2015
The atmosphere was great. The workers were very friendly and it provided a very positive environment. We would formulate in the beginning of the week for a team meeting and see areas that needed improvements, and areas that we succeeded in and discussed overall progress. Then we would begin our work week on a positive note. We would call numbers and see if they were interested in our service and we would record and write down receipts and information.
Can be very difficulty to find permament placement
Temporary Office Assistant (Current Employee), TorontoJune 12, 2015
The university can be very top heavy in management positions. I have found that the union can either work for you or against you depending on how much you are willing to put up with.
Proactive and Fun Workplace
Peer Mentor (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be meeting with a lot of new students at the university, I learned a lot of patience and understanding others perspective.
great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: events, networking
Cons: none
great faculty and amazing professors. I basically worked a teaching assistant while i was in grad school. co workers were my fellow colleagues and it was stress free and a good paying part time job
Lab experience and get time to spend with the professors
Class Representative (CR) (Former Employee), Bethune college (BC)February 17, 2015
Pros: free snakes and study room 24/7
A typical day is to deal with my peers in class and pass their comments to the professors. I learned excellent eye contact and understanding to the issues proposed by students. Also, I learned how to communicate in different levels, the professional with the professors and the local with my peers. The management were my self and few professors. The hardest part is that when the student lose their control and think of committing suicide due to academic reasons. Over all the job was great and enjoyable because we get free food and we get a free room to study in 24/7.
Review Summary
Admissions Client Services Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 15, 2015
I have worked at York University for over three years as a work study student and now under YUTA. Being a YUTA member has allowed me to enjoy many different working experiences in various clerical, customer service and administrative positions.
Teaching at York University
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Geography (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 26, 2015
I enjoyed teaching students and helping them understand complex material related to physical geography. The department at the university was very supportive of new ideas and approaches to the learning environment.
wonderful school
Free Tax Clinic Volunteer (Former Employee), North York, ONJune 30, 2015
The people there are very nice. The work environment is very comfortable. People there would try their best to provide assistance to the new-starter.
Fun place to work
Front Desk/Student Maintenance Staff (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 7, 2015
Fun place to work. Perfect for student opportunities. Campus is great. Gained customer service and office admin skills. Highly recommended for student summer jobs.