York University Employee Reviews

Good job
Usher/ Box Office Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2016
Good job. Genuine passion for the position from management and staff. Management does an excellent job of being flexible and understand work/school conflicts, making it an ideal job for students
Productive and fun place to work with wonderful co-workers.
Bookstore gate and Line Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2016
This was a fun place to work.The managers were efficient and understanding. Coworkers are willing to help out. Overall it is a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
Productive and fun work place
Front desk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  YORK RESIDENCE4 November 2016
working with york university built my confidence and thought me great customer service. I gained so much from this company such as audience speaking , tackling customers problems and helping colleagues with their job.
Productive office with undesirable work culture
Finance & Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON18 November 2015
I had the opportunity to learn a lot as I was involved in multiple projects/roles. Small team of employees. Always felt like over worked and under staffed. Some colleagues are helpful and friendly. It is the highest office with significant amount of stress at work and politics. Work was plenty and sometimes interesting and challenging. Career growth opportunity within the office is low.
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Research was Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
developed a lot of academic expertise through research and learnt to work independently. Conducted hours of library research and online databases. Performed several lab procedures and tests. Very Good Experience
Pros
experience
Cons
overtime work
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time
Good workplace and environment
T2K Experiment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2016
It was flexible hours as long as the work is done on time. Learned alot about the experiment I was working on. Communication and organization with the professor was clear and straightforward, and the coworkers were awesome to work with.
awesome experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  North York, ON30 September 2016
once and a life time experience, learned lots about event managing and how to be vigilant. Developed and refined a lot of skills. Great overall time and amazing team
York University - College President
President for Founders College Student Council (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 February 2016
Overall great job. I was able to learn many skills such as team building, organization, and leadership.

The management team was fantastic, they were always there to help if help was needed.

I worked very closely with a team of 9 other people and I would say that was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Fun to talk to different people from different countries
Community Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2016
This job is an amazing job. You are able to go to trips with the students, from Niagara Falls to the CN Tower, and also learn about different people's cultures and lifestyles from different countries.
Pros
Talk to students from different countries
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Amazing Professor
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Department of Psychology16 August 2016
I volunteer there as a Research Assistant for Dr. Maya Yampolsky and she's an amazing Professor and person. She's very upbeat and very encouraging and motivating to work for.
Pros
Amazing atmosphere
Cons
She's no longer there
Productive and fun environment to work at.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2016
Perfect for current undergraduate students to build experiences and bond with other students over the summer.

I learned to manage my time. I learned to be punctual. I became a better leader in my group.
Pros
student-oriented
Cons
physical job
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
Great hours, just taught 15 hours a week while studying my own Masters Degree. Wonderful co-workers and great students. Apart of a good union also so we were paid great.
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde School17 July 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.
Excellent learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2016
My daily work was only study including my courses and some exams like CSC, CFA and LLQP, because I was a master student in York University.
Productive and interactive fun workplace
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
Work included a 9am-4pm office day, advising incoming first year students via an online community designed for these students, as well as through emails. I developed effective communication and customer skills, necessary for the job position as well as for everyday life.
Excellent work environment, professional and convenient.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 June 2016
Independent work space. Able to sharpen communication skills and learn how to interview consumers. Very helpful in cultivating interpersonal skills.

4.3