York University Employee Reviews

Interesting prospects if you are interested in academia
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
If you are interested in academia, York is a fantastic place to work. York provides flexible work hours and provides the freedom to fulfill your intellectual desire.
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
positive experience
Statistical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
great place to work. great management really enjoyed my job and had a very positive experience overall there. had great kind co-workers.
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours
Just started working here.
A/V TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
it's been great so far. Staff are great and professional and management are very polite. I recently started this job so I'm still learning more about the whole experience.
Good
Undergraduate Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 February 2017
Good job, especially after my first year of university. I was hoping to do more work on the undergraduate program but I was working on their website so that took up a lot of my time.
Pros
Connections with Professors
Cons
Limited Hours
Discipline
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Working in an Academic environment often evoke discipline and hard work, considering the calibre of people that you have to work with. As a research assistance, i was able to apply some of the theories learned in the classrooms.
Pros
highly Organized
wonderful environment
Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
the culture at this institution is excellent snd everyone i worked with were amazing,good and profitable advice from superiors.
Had no issues what so ever during my time there.
Very organized, professional staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Book store6 March 2017
I enjoyed the busy environment. Great staff and consideration for your schedule. Clean and well maintained Book store and there is always help around the corner.
Great networking opportunity
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
As an invigilator for the math department, I was able to meet different math professors and learn more about the program, department and build relationships for future opportunities.
good
York university library assistant Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Address professors and students inquiries at the circulation desk
· Re-shelve books onto the book shelves in an organized manner
Handle inter-campus borrowing requests
Great flexibility and understanding for student schedules
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
Worked at York University as a Research Assistant and was able to work my hours when i was able to and was accommodated for my classes.
dsf
Undergraduate Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2017
Good place to work, lots of support and good people. Fair employment practices and equal rights. Average pay and job flexibility - enjoyable experience
Fun
Call Centre Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Called Alumni day to day asking for donations to the school, great co-workers and an excellent environment . The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get alumna/alumni to donate to the university.
Dedicated
Infrastructure Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
I am a dedicated, hard worker. I can work independently or in a team environment. I detailed oriented and goes the extra mile to deliver quality work.
The Place to Learn
STUDENT AMBASSADOR AND MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2016
I will never regret my time at York University, at this institution, I was able to apply what I was learning into the classroom into on set experience while also making an income working an administrative position for the School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design.

A key skill that is required to manage the set work and administrative job is to find a balance in between both where you know you can successfully complete each job with excellence. That is also the hardest part of the job.

Working creative and administrative at the same time, allowed me to have a taste for both spectrums and find a great network of business- savvy and creative people. The typical day is long but never boring and filled with exciting new challenges.
Pros
Constant available staff for inquiries and teaching.
Cons
A pleasure to play for special events
Co-founder of Twin Harmony Quartet (Current Employee) –  Flutist5 December 2016
Twin Harmony Quartet, which formed at York University is comprised of two flutes and two cellos. We perform for weddings , graduations, or any other special event.
Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA building20 May 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4