York University Employee Reviews

Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours
YorkU Adminstration
Liaison & Database Assistant (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Environmental Studies, Toronto, ON24 April 2016
Being part of the administration at York University gives one the opportunity to delve in Academia, and all the wonderful things that happen there, without requiring a PhD.
York prides itself in providing the utmost professional administration and services, and offers great salaries, benefits, and opportunities to advance.
Good work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2016
- research for various professors
- learned valuable workplace skills
- management / administration was somewhat unorganized
Discipline
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Working in an Academic environment often evoke discipline and hard work, considering the calibre of people that you have to work with. As a research assistance, i was able to apply some of the theories learned in the classrooms.
Pros
highly Organized
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Front desk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  YORK RESIDENCE4 November 2016
working with york university built my confidence and thought me great customer service. I gained so much from this company such as audience speaking , tackling customers problems and helping colleagues with their job.
Productive and fun place to work with wonderful co-workers.
Bookstore gate and Line Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2016
This was a fun place to work.The managers were efficient and understanding. Coworkers are willing to help out. Overall it is a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
Fun
Call Centre Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Called Alumni day to day asking for donations to the school, great co-workers and an excellent environment . The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get alumna/alumni to donate to the university.
Research was Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
developed a lot of academic expertise through research and learnt to work independently. Conducted hours of library research and online databases. Performed several lab procedures and tests. Very Good Experience
Pros
experience
Cons
overtime work
A pleasure to play for special events
Co-founder of Twin Harmony Quartet (Current Employee) –  Flutist5 December 2016
Twin Harmony Quartet, which formed at York University is comprised of two flutes and two cellos. We perform for weddings , graduations, or any other special event.
Good job
Usher/ Box Office Attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2016
Good job. Genuine passion for the position from management and staff. Management does an excellent job of being flexible and understand work/school conflicts, making it an ideal job for students
very good salary for graduate student to cover their tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 May 2016
Basically just support professor whatever they need about the curriculum. holding office hour is very important and the best way to communicate to your students.
Pros
good salary for part-time job
A Great University
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 December 2016
I have been going to York for over ten years. It is filled with wonderful teachers and students not to mention a beautiful campus. I would definitely recommend working there.
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
awesome experience
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  North York, ON30 September 2016
once and a life time experience, learned lots about event managing and how to be vigilant. Developed and refined a lot of skills. Great overall time and amazing team
Excellent learning environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 October 2016
My daily work was only study including my courses and some exams like CSC, CFA and LLQP, because I was a master student in York University.
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Good workplace and environment
T2K Experiment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2016
It was flexible hours as long as the work is done on time. Learned alot about the experiment I was working on. Communication and organization with the professor was clear and straightforward, and the coworkers were awesome to work with.
Productive office with undesirable work culture
Finance & Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON18 November 2015
I had the opportunity to learn a lot as I was involved in multiple projects/roles. Small team of employees. Always felt like over worked and under staffed. Some colleagues are helpful and friendly. It is the highest office with significant amount of stress at work and politics. Work was plenty and sometimes interesting and challenging. Career growth opportunity within the office is low.
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2016
Great hours, just taught 15 hours a week while studying my own Masters Degree. Wonderful co-workers and great students. Apart of a good union also so we were paid great.
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time

4.3