York University

York University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work place with friendly and supportive co-worker
Residence Night Porter (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: short commute time to work place
Cons: late work hours
During this job I made a lot of good friends which expanded my network in the university, as i get to meet people from different major and learn from them.
Team work would be the most essential skill that I have experienced while doing this job. The feeling of working towards one goal with a passionate group of people is great. You are motivated to carry on your duty every single day.
It's an awesome place to work.
Accounts Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: great work hours, lots of perks to encourage a job/family balance
Cons: jobs are mostly contracts
Working at York University was a unique and challenging experience. My team was wonderful, and management always support and encourage new ideas and looks for ways to improve your jobs. The enjoyable part of the job was communicating with some of the most intelligent minds in the world and working with them, working as part of a unique team.
Productive and enjoyable setup.
Rob Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 30, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: repeated process
work was pretty easy and fun, i learned how to organized different things and how to manage with all other co workers for the benefit of the job. hardest part of the job was when the robs were returned and we had to hang all the robs in a limited time.
Teacher Assistant
M.Sc Physics and Astronomy Student /TA (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 26, 2014
My role was as a tutor, marker and grader for undergraduate students.
A nice place to work during your study period
Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
Pros: pizza parties and friendly environment
Cons: automatic dialer, a bit awkward to ask people three times for a donation
This job was very convenient. It is designed for full time York University students to earn a small income while they are pursuing their studies. Hours are fantastic - 6:30-9:30 pm Mon-Thurs; 3:00-6:00 Sunday - YOU HAVE TO WORK AT LEAST TWO SHIFTS A WEEK, MAXIMUM OF THREE. At the beginning of each shift the supervisor would ask each person to say something about themselves so we would all get to know each other. There was also a Facebook group for the call centre to communicate with one another and arrange to cover shifts. It is VERY difficult to get fired from this job... you would have to do something drastic or be a criminal to be terminated.
Great Place to Work
Research Services Assistant (Former Employee), Office of Research ServicesOctober 7, 2014
Competitive Wages, great team environment and great bosses
Productive and Fun place to work
Learning Disabilties Tutor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2014
lots of politics and York does not conform to its diversity statements. lots of room to develop and deal with institutional racism and nepotism.
It is a good academic and working settting
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 1, 2014
Pros: enjoyed interactive workshops and conferences
Cons: a lot of readings and sometimes dealing with assignments that were hard for students to grasp
I learned how to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds. My work was usually during the day and would leave quite late. My co-workers were helpful and together we worked as a team.
Teaching undergraduate students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Tutoring on weekly basis.

Assisted professor on exam related tasks
Excellent work environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: excellent for development of teaching skills.
Cons: only offered a part-time position
My typical day at work would be to do the required readings for the given course needed for my work. I would have office hours that involved assisting students with their work of study. The hardest part of my job was rating students with poor marks. The best part of my job was the celebration of their final work, and excellence.
Highly productive and fast paced
Receptionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: n/a
Cons: fast paced
Check emails, handled all student inquiries. We were always learning, because new software and programs are always coming out. The hardest part was dealing with students when they were not getting a passing grade.
A place for professional and personal growth
Budget Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: working environment and benefits
Cons: no secondments
Great opportunity for professional and personal growth; always a pleasant team to work with; support from colleagues and management is always evident. Always looking forward to head to work.
Alumini Assistant
Alumini Framing Assistant (Former Employee), TorontoSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: long hours
•Assisted with the sales and distribution of diploma.
•Ensured the diplomas were framed and delivered to the graduates in quick and efficient manner.
•Assisted the convocation coordinator upon request.
•Maintained high team synergy during peak hours
Great dental, medical, and health benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: great staff and management and great benefits.
Faculty secretaries. We were encouraged to take our breaks. Sometimes it got so busy, we forfeited our breaks. I particularly loved putting book reports together. Many of the professors were kind and understanding. They rewarded secretaries on birthdays and on Secretary day. The company had staff development programs where we learned how best to be an extremely effective secretary. I also loved catering and switchboard duties, which the secretaries took turns in doing. The hardest part of the job was assisting people on the telephone who had no clue what department they wanted or needed. This was not a frequent occurrence. We had to figure that out by asking a series of questions and some people did not like that. Yet, they did not know what department they wanted or needed. The co-workers all got along. There may have been one or two disgruntled co-workers. At the end of the day we went home satisfied that we put in an extremely good day at work and we looked forward to coming back to work the following day.
A flexible and fun enviorment to work in.
EVENTS ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
As an Events Assistant, my shift would start by setting up and cleaning the lobby for the show or event that was taking place that day. Once guests arrive, I would usher them into the theatre and help them to their seats. Any questions that the patrons had would be directed to my and my fellow co-workers. The most difficult part of this job was keeping a pleasant and friendly demeanor after very long events such as competitive events. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and exciting environment that these shows and events can have.
Fun place to work and grow
Academic Advisor - Faculty of Science (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2014
I met amazing people and grew so much in all positions. Held countless positions, some of which were managerial jobs.
Operational work
Office of the University Librarian (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2014
Almost like working for the government - very structures hours
Well Established and Research Intensive
Teaching assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 19, 2014
A vibrant culture with lots of opportunities for advancement.
Balance between Work and Study
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2014
● Advised and tutored 2 courses of 80 students each; supervised exams and enforced course regulations and rules
● Scheduled and maintained regular office hours to meet with students
● Assisted students individually and in small groups in order to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by professors
● Assessed students’ performance by grading exams and other course works, while meeting tight deadlines and providing analysis of class performance
● Performed administrative tasks to assist instructors and facilitate smooth operations
As a Student and Teaching Assistant
Teaching assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 14, 2014
The academic environment is encouraging and productive. The research environment is accepting and vibrant.

Students and researchers receive a lot of support and encouragement from faculty and the administration at York.

Glad to be a part of the team here at York.

About York University

York University is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is Canada's third-largest university. York University – Read more