York University Employee Reviews in Canada

invoices
accounts payable/accounts receivable/journals
preparation of facilitators materials
sales/marketing on selling programs
website updates and add ons
ordering breakfast and lunches for programs
set up of meeting rooms / it equipment set up
customer services to participants and instructors
general administration every day as well
Fun always dealing with new people meeting new people, helping them improve their careers.
Always on the move , do more than one job very versatile
amazing place to work and be , great benefits

need to work closer to home now otherwise would of loved to retire at York U :)
Pros
Fun, versatile, exciting great benefits, great surroundings, a lot of employee wellness
Cons
To far from my home, commute is to long. parking expensive.
Productive office with undesirable work culture
Finance & Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONNovember 18, 2015
I had the opportunity to learn a lot as I was involved in multiple projects/roles. Small team of employees. Always felt like over worked and under staffed. Some colleagues are helpful and friendly. It is the highest office with significant amount of stress at work and politics. Work was plenty and sometimes interesting and challenging. Career growth opportunity within the office is low.
York University - College President
President for Founders College Student Council (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Overall great job. I was able to learn many skills such as team building, organization, and leadership.

The management team was fantastic, they were always there to help if help was needed.

I worked very closely with a team of 9 other people and I would say that was the most enjoyable part of the job.
The Place to Learn
STUDENT AMBASSADOR AND MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2016
I will never regret my time at York University, at this institution, I was able to apply what I was learning into the classroom into on set experience while also making an income working an administrative position for the School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design.

A key skill that is required to manage the set work and administrative job is to find a balance in between both where you know you can successfully complete each job with excellence. That is also the hardest part of the job.

Working creative and administrative at the same time, allowed me to have a taste for both spectrums and find a great network of business- savvy and creative people. The typical day is long but never boring and filled with exciting new challenges.
Pros
Constant available staff for inquiries and teaching.
Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA buildingMay 20, 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security
Modern day slavery
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
Start early, finish late- long hours for poor compensation, no incentives and no benefits.

There is little or no career progression. Traditionally the concept was in place that a post doc led to an academic position at a university. This simply isn't true.

The only care the management has is the science. The physical or mental health of the employee is neglected.
Fun workplace , meeting many deifferent people
Residence Life Night Porter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2016
3 hours shift. Everyday meet lots of people. Good and interesting co-workers. Hard part of the job is to watch every student and ask for their IDs.
Pros
Not hard
Cons
Low salary
people were fun to work with
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 23, 2016
i liked it was a good job and the benefits went through the roof. got along with co-workers and i also worked alone quite a bit over the years
York University is a great University, looking out for the future of all it's students
Professional Teaching Placements (Unpaid) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
The campus is beautiful, and has over 60,000 enrolled annually. The classes were appropriate in time length. If you live in North York, Toronto, or Brampton. It is an easy and accessible place to get to.
The teaching placements were of immense benefit to me as a Student teacher. The administration handled everything very well. I loved my teaching placements with York. Many great mentor teachers were provided.
Great working experience in an overall sense
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Very good salary. Nice and friendly office culture. Good managers.
Balanced Work-Life time allocation. Excellent job facilities.
Inclusive, fun environment
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Spent a week as an orientation leader welcoming new students to the school. This enhanced my leadership skills and opened my eyes to more inclusive environments. My fellow orientation leaders were very enthusiastic, making my job more enjoyable. The hardest part of this was the hours as many of the events went late (4AM) and started early (8AM). The most enjoyable aspect was that it was fun and rewarding to welcome new students to the university.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Work hors
Work/Study
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
There never was a typical day at work, none of my shifts were ever the same, but that is the nature of working with technology and printers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and problem solving as I worked off hours form regular business hours so I did not work with a supervisor present at all times. My co-workers were all pleasant and we worked well together.
very effective and useful program
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2015
I recommend York university for master student
Working at York university is very good and with a lot of benefits
All classes were challenging with exceptionally knowledgeable, caring facilitators. The support available from all departments was helpful and sincere. The communication with instructors, classmates, and advisers was exceptional. Sharing of life experiences making lifelong friends around the world expands knowledge and cultural experiences. Great university all around!
YorkU Adminstration
Liaison & Database Assistant (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Environmental Studies, Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
Being part of the administration at York University gives one the opportunity to delve in Academia, and all the wonderful things that happen there, without requiring a PhD.
York prides itself in providing the utmost professional administration and services, and offers great salaries, benefits, and opportunities to advance.
Productive and friendly place to work
Student Parking Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
I have been working at York for the last 4 years now and the job is not hard and help you a lot to grow in maturity not only to solve work problems but also towards your life goals.
Pros
helpful when student
Cons
not well paid
Very encouraging and motivational
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
There was always something to do on a typical day, no dull moments and a great team to work with. Everyone was productive and helpful. When the results are not as hoped for everyone gave vital recommendations and inputs, which was great.
Working At York
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Human Rights and Equity StudiesOctober 15, 2015
Working at York University was certainly the most fascinating employment experience I have had. I conducted Research on women's mental health and was able to extend my knowledge of various research methodologies. I learned that knowledge is boundless if I open my mind to explore new ways of knowing. I had excellent collaboration with my co-workers our work extended beyond team to becoming familial. The hardest aspect of my work is triangulating the research through data collection in an effort to integrate the research. Overall I enjoyed every moment and every aspect of the job, it was truly a rewarding experience, which enabled self-discovery.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travel
very good salary for graduate student to cover their tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
Basically just support professor whatever they need about the curriculum. holding office hour is very important and the best way to communicate to your students.
Pros
good salary for part-time job
Cons
productive and rewarding place to work
Registrarial Assistant Triage Desk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 21, 2015
September Rush brings a lot of chaos to the Registrarial Services' department. However, through the cooperation of the management team, fellow coworkers and other departments, we were able to work efficiently while still providing one-on-one assistance when needed.

4.3