York University Employee Reviews

Fun place to work. Provides opportunity to learn and grow.
Promotions and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2016
Early start to a day. I learned to communicate effectively. Polished my Marketing and promotions skills. Management is friendly and encouraging. Co workers have positive energy. Paperwork gets to be a little annoying sometimes. The Best part is having to interact with 60,000 students under one roof which helps grow your communication skills and ability to develop Customer service experience.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
old building
Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours
Fun work place with student employees.
Senior Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Calling york alumni on a regular basis. Before the shift starts, there is a question of the day so that everybody gets a chance to talk and open up before the shift begins. The hardest part of the job was to talk to strangers on a daily basis not knowing what the other person on the phone will give me as a situation to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and management. Very friendly management, who were easy to talk too.
Pros
Stickers for time off the phone
Cons
Limited working hours
Overly competitve
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
My experince working in the call centre was that if you weren't bringing in tons of money you weren't good enough. I hated that feeling and so did many others who were working there. I worked here for less than a year and management expected me to be really good at the job and rake in tons of money after just two months working there. I was basically told that if I couldn't make the money then I wouldn't have a job. I didn't feel welcomed or comfortable working there. If you have any other choice don't work at York University's Call Centre. The only good thing was the pay.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management
Good experience of customer service
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
• Build customer relationship
• Open/Close the cash register (counting money and balances)
• Maintaining clear store condition
• Quickly understanding customer’s needs
• Serving best goods and products
• Cashiered with two cash registers at once in tandem to maximize customer flow
Pros
Free lunch
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
Interesting and Engaging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2016
I really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant for the Environment and Culture class. My students were very interested in the material, which made for good discussions. I also enjoyed working with the professor. He gave me a lot of freedom.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time
Productive and fun work place
Front desk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  YORK RESIDENCE4 November 2016
working with york university built my confidence and thought me great customer service. I gained so much from this company such as audience speaking , tackling customers problems and helping colleagues with their job.
Research was Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
developed a lot of academic expertise through research and learnt to work independently. Conducted hours of library research and online databases. Performed several lab procedures and tests. Very Good Experience
Pros
experience
Cons
overtime work
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 July 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Good workplace and environment
T2K Experiment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2016
It was flexible hours as long as the work is done on time. Learned alot about the experiment I was working on. Communication and organization with the professor was clear and straightforward, and the coworkers were awesome to work with.
Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA building20 May 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
Productive and fun place to work with wonderful co-workers.
Bookstore gate and Line Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2016
This was a fun place to work.The managers were efficient and understanding. Coworkers are willing to help out. Overall it is a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde School17 July 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.

4.3