York University

York University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun working place
House keeping (Former Employee), Toronto,Ont.June 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working at York Univercity, we had the best management and great team work. I didn't have a full time position but the hours given to me was good.
Productive and very helpful staff in this lab
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Dr Patricia Lakin Thomas is most likely the best professor at the department of Biology in YorkU, Very helpful and insightful, its an absolute pleasure to work for her, she follows up, doesn't stress the lab members, is always available and very very approachable, spends hours teaching you more than you ever need if you are interested and at the end of the day she is a true supporter of the project and the lab members. I was lucky to work in her lab. Her great approach and help around the lab makes the atmosphere a very professional, caring and truly friendly and pleasant to work with.
Can be very difficulty to find permament placement
Temporary Office Assistant (Current Employee), TorontoJune 12, 2015
The university can be very top heavy in management positions. I have found that the union can either work for you or against you depending on how much you are willing to put up with.
Fun place to work
Front Desk/Student Maintenance Staff (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 7, 2015
Fun place to work. Perfect for student opportunities. Campus is great. Gained customer service and office admin skills. Highly recommended for student summer jobs.
Positive environment where growth and learning is encouraged
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
Great place to work. The opportunity to influence young minds is a very rewarding privilege that I was afforded by working at York.
great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: events, networking
Cons: none
great faculty and amazing professors. I basically worked a teaching assistant while i was in grad school. co workers were my fellow colleagues and it was stress free and a good paying part time job
Modern day slavery
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
Start early, finish late- long hours for poor compensation, no incentives and no benefits.

There is little or no career progression. Traditionally the concept was in place that a post doc led to an academic position at a university. This simply isn't true.

The only care the management has is the science. The physical or mental health of the employee is neglected.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 7, 2015
Pros: practical experience
Cons: awful pay
Part of my degree, did not have an option. THe strikes happened for a reason. I did research for a lovely professor but the students do not get paid enough for the amount of work that we do
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 5, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: stuck in small room
- only students can work
- learned alot
- great co-workers
- stuck in small room
- set your own hours
- can only be paid a maximum amount of money
Teaching at York University
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Geography (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 26, 2015
I enjoyed teaching students and helping them understand complex material related to physical geography. The department at the university was very supportive of new ideas and approaches to the learning environment.
Great experience in research
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 16, 2015
I enjoy to work as a graduate assistant. I have learned a lot about researching, how to write grant proposal and much more... I'm glad that I have the opportunity to know more in-depth knowledge in my field, esp. the scholarly site.
Review Summary
Admissions Client Services Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 15, 2015
I have worked at York University for over three years as a work study student and now under YUTA. Being a YUTA member has allowed me to enjoy many different working experiences in various clerical, customer service and administrative positions.
a nice place to work with
Custodian (Current Employee), North York, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: free uniform
its fun working with the company, learned more about life, management was great , all co workers are friendly and we work as team sometimes its hard but end of the its worth
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
Flexible hours and very good management. There has been several cut backs which made the position a bit insecure.Good overall.
Fun, stimulating, exciting, challenging
Research Project Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2015
Working as a research project assistant was an excellent experience and I would love to do it again. I learned a lot and had the opportunity to be around many different professionals in the field.
Amazing atmosphere
Research Assistant (Former Employee), York UniversityMarch 19, 2015
The atmosphere was great. The workers were very friendly and it provided a very positive environment. We would formulate in the beginning of the week for a team meeting and see areas that needed improvements, and areas that we succeeded in and discussed overall progress. Then we would begin our work week on a positive note. We would call numbers and see if they were interested in our service and we would record and write down receipts and information.
Relaxed Environment
Print Lab Monitor (Current Employee), North York, ONMarch 11, 2015
As a print monitor I run the printers and help design students format their files. Its a fun environment and it is interesting to see what everyone is doing project wise. Management is also really awesome and easy to talk to about any issues that may occur.
A great opportunity for a young web-developer.
Web-site creator (Former Employee), HalifaxMarch 6, 2015
Don't tell experienced professionals that York University professors are having book club web sites created, or there won't be work left over for the rest of us.
Productive ,Fun Workplace
Managing Student Accounts and Computing Services (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2015
Amazing Workplace with great co-workers and effective production. Gained extensive knowledge of using and integrating web applications
Welcoming and supportive environment
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee), North York, ONFebruary 28, 2015
Pros: virtually, you get an unlimited amount of work hours if you want them.
Great management team that worked with you one-on-one to help you thoroughly throughout your training process.

Hardest part of the job was getting donations. It could be tough but if you were patient and confident, it could be done.

1 2 3 4 5

About York University

York University is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is Canada's third-largest university. York University – Read more