York University

I only gave it a 3 because it wouldn't allow me to give it a 2
Clerical (Former Employee), North York, ONJuly 30, 2015
-Boring, repetitive work
-Late hours on campus
-Parking was quite far and security took forever to come around
-Supervisor was young and full of herself (not fun to work with)
Awesome internship
Technical Support Intern (Former Employee), Keele and SteelesJuly 9, 2015
Pros: I studied at York
Cons: Not a corporate environment
Internship at York prepared me for the real world. I got to learn the basis for IT support and served as a stepping stone for my career. I dealt with technical issues dealing with PC, software and hardware as well as printing issues.
Proactive and Fun Workplace
Peer Mentor (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
A typical day at work would be meeting with a lot of new students at the university, I learned a lot of patience and understanding others perspective.
RUINED MY SUMMER. NOW I TRAVEL 2 HOURS TO BE STUCK WITH THIS JOB
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), torontoJuly 7, 2015
The did not go through with their contract, the contract was for 500 hours. they only gave me about 200. I had other many other offers to take in the summer since I go to schulich but I chose this because I thought I would save time on traveling becasue I will come here for school anyway but. they only gave me 6 hous and forced me to take unpaid an hour break in the middle and. RUINED MY SUMMER. NOW I TRAVEL 2 HOURS TO BE STUCK WITH THIS JOB
wonderful school
Free Tax Clinic Volunteer (Former Employee), North York, ONJune 30, 2015
The people there are very nice. The work environment is very comfortable. People there would try their best to provide assistance to the new-starter.
Fun working place
House keeping (Former Employee), Toronto,Ont.June 17, 2015
I really enjoyed working at York Univercity, we had the best management and great team work. I didn't have a full time position but the hours given to me was good.
Productive and very helpful staff in this lab
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Dr Patricia Lakin Thomas is most likely the best professor at the department of Biology in YorkU, Very helpful and insightful, its an absolute pleasure to work for her, she follows up, doesn't stress the lab members, is always available and very very approachable, spends hours teaching you more than you ever need if you are interested and at the end of the day she is a true supporter of the project and the lab members. I was lucky to work in her lab. Her great approach and help around the lab makes the atmosphere a very professional, caring and truly friendly and pleasant to work with.
Can be very difficulty to find permament placement
Temporary Office Assistant (Current Employee), TorontoJune 12, 2015
The university can be very top heavy in management positions. I have found that the union can either work for you or against you depending on how much you are willing to put up with.
Fun place to work
Front Desk/Student Maintenance Staff (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 7, 2015
Fun place to work. Perfect for student opportunities. Campus is great. Gained customer service and office admin skills. Highly recommended for student summer jobs.
Positive environment where growth and learning is encouraged
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
Great place to work. The opportunity to influence young minds is a very rewarding privilege that I was afforded by working at York.
great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), toronto, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: events, networking
Cons: none
great faculty and amazing professors. I basically worked a teaching assistant while i was in grad school. co workers were my fellow colleagues and it was stress free and a good paying part time job
Modern day slavery
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
Start early, finish late- long hours for poor compensation, no incentives and no benefits.

There is little or no career progression. Traditionally the concept was in place that a post doc led to an academic position at a university. This simply isn't true.

The only care the management has is the science. The physical or mental health of the employee is neglected.
Research Assistant
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 7, 2015
Pros: practical experience
Cons: awful pay
Part of my degree, did not have an option. THe strikes happened for a reason. I did research for a lovely professor but the students do not get paid enough for the amount of work that we do
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 5, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: stuck in small room
- only students can work
- learned alot
- great co-workers
- stuck in small room
- set your own hours
- can only be paid a maximum amount of money
Teaching at York University
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Geography (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 26, 2015
I enjoyed teaching students and helping them understand complex material related to physical geography. The department at the university was very supportive of new ideas and approaches to the learning environment.
Great experience in research
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 16, 2015
I enjoy to work as a graduate assistant. I have learned a lot about researching, how to write grant proposal and much more... I'm glad that I have the opportunity to know more in-depth knowledge in my field, esp. the scholarly site.
Review Summary
Admissions Client Services Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 15, 2015
I have worked at York University for over three years as a work study student and now under YUTA. Being a YUTA member has allowed me to enjoy many different working experiences in various clerical, customer service and administrative positions.
a nice place to work with
Custodian (Current Employee), North York, ONMarch 26, 2015
Pros: free uniform
its fun working with the company, learned more about life, management was great , all co workers are friendly and we work as team sometimes its hard but end of the its worth
Systems Administrator (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 23, 2015
Flexible hours and very good management. There has been several cut backs which made the position a bit insecure.Good overall.
Fun, stimulating, exciting, challenging
Research Project Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2015
Working as a research project assistant was an excellent experience and I would love to do it again. I learned a lot and had the opportunity to be around many different professionals in the field.

1 2 3 4 5

About York University

York University is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is Canada's third-largest university. York University – Read more