York University Employee Reviews

Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Great Place
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 18, 2016
Great hours, just taught 15 hours a week while studying my own Masters Degree. Wonderful co-workers and great students. Apart of a good union also so we were paid great.
Interesting and Engaging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant for the Environment and Culture class. My students were very interested in the material, which made for good discussions. I also enjoyed working with the professor. He gave me a lot of freedom.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
Productive and fun place to work
Admissions Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2016
A great academic institution and a very nice work environment. You get to interact with a lot of people from different parts of the world
Pros
great working culture
Cons
none that I can think of
Productive and fun environment to work at.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2016
Perfect for current undergraduate students to build experiences and bond with other students over the summer.

I learned to manage my time. I learned to be punctual. I became a better leader in my group.
Pros
student-oriented
Cons
physical job
Good workplace and environment
T2K Experiment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2016
It was flexible hours as long as the work is done on time. Learned alot about the experiment I was working on. Communication and organization with the professor was clear and straightforward, and the coworkers were awesome to work with.
Not the best company
Human Resources Assistant, Office of the Dean (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 3, 2016
Too many changes and not enough workforce to support.

Culture of number pushers and lies.

No transparency

high expectation and low compensation
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde SchoolJuly 17, 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time
Good work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 13, 2016
- research for various professors
- learned valuable workplace skills
- management / administration was somewhat unorganized
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York UniversityJuly 7, 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Excellent work environment, professional and convenient.
Market Research Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 29, 2016
Independent work space. Able to sharpen communication skills and learn how to interview consumers. Very helpful in cultivating interpersonal skills.
I learned a lot here
International Student Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  York universityJune 8, 2016
I learned a lot here. I met a lot of people here. I not only learned from school, book, professors but also other students.
Productive and interactive fun workplace
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
Work included a 9am-4pm office day, advising incoming first year students via an online community designed for these students, as well as through emails. I developed effective communication and customer skills, necessary for the job position as well as for everyday life.
Effective learning environment
Student Assistant Strength and conditioning coach (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Supervisor provides an amazing environment conducive to growth and learning. Excellent place to get a taste for the industry
Promotions Staff
Senior Promotions Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 2, 2016
Great supervisor, loved promoted the York Lions. Flexible hours and enthusiastic staff made the job enjoyable and valuable for networking.
Amazing work environment
(TA) Introduction to World Religion Course (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
I learned many new things from York University. The ability to interact with various people on a daily basis helps to develop yourself to your utmost potential.
very good salary for graduate student to cover their tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
Basically just support professor whatever they need about the curriculum. holding office hour is very important and the best way to communicate to your students.
Pros
good salary for part-time job

4.3