York University

York University Employee Reviews

Extremely Productive workplace, full-filling and room for growth
Telephone Interviewer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 15, 2014
A Typical day is extremely invigorating, face-paced, motivating, and a constant challenge.

I've learned quite a bit about surveys and what they promote and stand for. Helping the public, and teaching them new information such as health, and exercise, and also teaching myself of the new studies and information.

Management is great here, always motivating you, and providing you with training to keep your progress going. Giving us new information to learn and perform in our daily jobs. Their always supportive, and informative if anything is challenging

Working with co-workers at this organization is wonderful its based more on a supportive level, helping to keep each other motivated, however it is a one on one working environment.

The hardest part of the job, is not reaching enough people to get surveys completed, it can bring your progress down and result in losing hours.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is hearing what the general public has to say about the new information given for their benefit, and how it impacts their lives.
Pros
for every survey completed you received commissions
Cons
if your unsuccessful not by choice, it may result in losing hours or possibly terminated. its the nature of this position
Great dental, medical, and health benefits.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Faculty secretaries. We were encouraged to take our breaks. Sometimes it got so busy, we forfeited our breaks. I particularly loved putting book reports together. Many of the professors were kind and understanding. They rewarded secretaries on birthdays and on Secretary day. The company had staff development programs where we learned how best to be an extremely effective secretary. I also loved catering and switchboard duties, which the secretaries took turns in doing. The hardest part of the job was assisting people on the telephone who had no clue what department they wanted or needed. This was not a frequent occurrence. We had to figure that out by asking a series of questions and some people did not like that. Yet, they did not know what department they wanted or needed. The co-workers all got along. There may have been one or two disgruntled co-workers. At the end of the day we went home satisfied that we put in an extremely good day at work and we looked forward to coming back to work the following day.
Pros
great staff and management and great benefits.
A nice place to work during your study period
Telephone Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2014
This job was very convenient. It is designed for full time York University students to earn a small income while they are pursuing their studies. Hours are fantastic - 6:30-9:30 pm Mon-Thurs; 3:00-6:00 Sunday - YOU HAVE TO WORK AT LEAST TWO SHIFTS A WEEK, MAXIMUM OF THREE. At the beginning of each shift the supervisor would ask each person to say something about themselves so we would all get to know each other. There was also a Facebook group for the call centre to communicate with one another and arrange to cover shifts. It is VERY difficult to get fired from this job... you would have to do something drastic or be a criminal to be terminated.
Pros
pizza parties and friendly environment
Cons
automatic dialer, a bit awkward to ask people three times for a donation
Easy summer part-time job
Data Entry Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 19, 2013
I mainly came in when I wanted, and inputed data for a study on effects of collisions in hockey. The tasks itself were not very difficult, but the stress on accuracy was very important and the results would be based on this. I learned how to use microsoft programs more effectively and to value being accurate in the data I inputed. Working with my co-workers was mainly independent work as well, except for any questions or concerns we may have had. The hardest part of the job would be just the stress of making sure there were no mistakes in the data, as if there were it could jeopardize the whole project. The most enjoyable part of the job was that the hours were really flexible and I could make my own schedule. The pay was pretty decent as well for being a student at my age.
Pros
good pay, good hours, flexible, friendly staff
Cons
pressure to produce on point results
An environment where striving for success makes you work at your best potential.
Undergraduate Honours Thesis Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2013
I am currently working alongisde a PhD candidate on his project, to get his papers published for this laboratory.
I learned the importance of repetitiveness, in order to perfect a task or technique, and planning ahead to ensure one is not rushing.
My co-workers are patient, friendly, and helpful, which was very important for me especially being the newest member of the lab with the least experience.
The hardest part would be that in science, some results fail to produce or be observed. Everything must be repeated, and reproduced multiple times in order to be considered validated.
My favourite part of the lab is that everyday is a learning experience. Never does a day go by where I did not learn some new information.
Student Parking Control Officer Operations
PARKING CONTROL OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2013
We are required to report to the briefing room at the beginning of our shifts where we are assigned our respective booths. After that, we are driven to our respective booths and our work day begins. We help patrons when they have difficulty paying at the exit of the garage, answer their parking and event related inquiries, provide patrons with directions and process transactions in our booths. The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with various age groups and being such an integral part of events on campus. The hardest part of the job is having to stand outside in the winter and manually process transactions when and if the machines beak down. Through this job I have gained more customer service skills and cash handling skills. I have also learned to work in a fast paced environment that requires initiative and quick action.
Pros
work/study job, long hours
Cons
late hours, part time student job
Fallowed policy and procedures prioritized tasks, used reminder lists, and to-do-list. monitored e-mail throughout the day and cleared all the message
Finance and Procurement Service, Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 6, 2013
Typical day at work would be busy with Receptionist duties carry out daily tasks. Learning everyday dealing with public, and staff members. in-order to manage my time I made a to-do-list, and a reminder list. I prioritized tasks that needed to be done immediately.
As the day progressed, I cleared my e-mails and retrieved messages and returned called as soon as possible. My co-workers were very nice and helpful. I didn't find any thing hard about the job. It was easy my co-worker was such a nice person, she trained me well for this job. I had a great time working at the Finance department.
Pros
celebrated birthdays
Cons
didn't have any long hours
Review of York
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2013
At York the hours were very flexible , I would come in check my emails and respond if necessary then get back to the work the needed to be don. What i learned from working at work was how to work in a team while also enhancing my technical skills. Management was very relax we had deadlines but we always managed to keep them. My co-workers were great I was working very closely with a team of 4. The hardest part about working at York was balancing school and work at the same time even though hours were flexible around exam time a student needs a couple extra hours to study and do assignments. The most enjoyable part of working for York was working with great peers, we are all different but can managed to talk about anything while maintaining are values and respect for each other.Furthermore it was a great team environment.
Pros
flexible hours, relax management
Cons
no benefits
fun workplace at convocation
MAIN GATE INFORMATION OFFICER (Former Employee) –  North York, ONApril 16, 2014
its a very fun environment to work at. you see a lot of happy and excited faces and are able to be part of their happiness. A very crucial thing I learnt from this workplace was that even a small little help towards someone can make their day amazing, so its not something to think as not important, everything counts. The management is great, they are nice, helpful and productive. Everything is organized properly and there is always people to help you if you are in need of help. The most enjoyable part of the job would be seeing all the parents that are smiling with joy to see their child graduate and being part of it.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Generally, it was satisfying to work here because one is involved, although not directly,in the education of mostly young persons.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 15, 2013
My work involved dealing with other employees in other departments on a daily basis. I developed great communication skills over the years and enjoyed interacting with others employees. I honed my management skills as this came into play on a daily basis. I also interacted with members of the public as I met with couriers, and salespersons from various businesses. The most enjoyable part of the job was actually my interaction with persons from all walks of life e.g. students, professors, salespersons, couriers and of course my coworkers.
Pros
good benefits, flexible work hours
Cons
exposal to dangerous fumes (waste chemicals) and radioactive waste

Want to know more about York University?

Ask a question
Working At York
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Human Rights and Equity StudiesOctober 15, 2015
Working at York University was certainly the most fascinating employment experience I have had. I conducted Research on women's mental health and was able to extend my knowledge of various research methodologies. I learned that knowledge is boundless if I open my mind to explore new ways of knowing. I had excellent collaboration with my co-workers our work extended beyond team to becoming familial. The hardest aspect of my work is triangulating the research through data collection in an effort to integrate the research. Overall I enjoyed every moment and every aspect of the job, it was truly a rewarding experience, which enabled self-discovery.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Travel
Productive and very helpful staff in this lab
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 16, 2015
Dr Patricia Lakin Thomas is most likely the best professor at the department of Biology in YorkU, Very helpful and insightful, its an absolute pleasure to work for her, she follows up, doesn't stress the lab members, is always available and very very approachable, spends hours teaching you more than you ever need if you are interested and at the end of the day she is a true supporter of the project and the lab members. I was lucky to work in her lab. Her great approach and help around the lab makes the atmosphere a very professional, caring and truly friendly and pleasant to work with.
A flexible and fun enviorment to work in.
EVENTS ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
As an Events Assistant, my shift would start by setting up and cleaning the lobby for the show or event that was taking place that day. Once guests arrive, I would usher them into the theatre and help them to their seats. Any questions that the patrons had would be directed to my and my fellow co-workers. The most difficult part of this job was keeping a pleasant and friendly demeanor after very long events such as competitive events. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and exciting environment that these shows and events can have.
Fun work place with friendly and supportive co-worker
Residence Night Porter (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2015
During this job I made a lot of good friends which expanded my network in the university, as i get to meet people from different major and learn from them.
Team work would be the most essential skill that I have experienced while doing this job. The feeling of working towards one goal with a passionate group of people is great. You are motivated to carry on your duty every single day.
Pros
short commute time to work place
Cons
late work hours
Productive and good work environment
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 6, 2014
A typical day at work would start off by a fun question or an interesting fact about the work or the clients we are about to talk to. After we were given our duties which included contacting the University's alumni's. In this job I learned how to resolve any objectives and how to handle the all sorts of customers. One of my favourite part about the job was the work environment. It was very friendly and if one of the workers ever had any trouble the managers were always ready to help.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
not enough hours
Lab experience and get time to spend with the professors
Class Representative (CR) (Former Employee) –  Bethune college (BC)February 17, 2015
A typical day is to deal with my peers in class and pass their comments to the professors. I learned excellent eye contact and understanding to the issues proposed by students. Also, I learned how to communicate in different levels, the professional with the professors and the local with my peers. The management were my self and few professors. The hardest part is that when the student lose their control and think of committing suicide due to academic reasons. Over all the job was great and enjoyable because we get free food and we get a free room to study in 24/7.
Pros
free snakes and study room 24/7
fun place to work at, pay not that great.
Event Staff at Tait (Former Employee) –  TaitMay 14, 2013
typical day at work requires setting up the equipment needed for the matches and then assisting the referees throughout the game and at the end of the match, putting everything away.
i learned that time management and open communication with your team is key.
my co-workers were great people and really worked hard.
the hardest part of the job was getting everything set up in the allotted time.
most enjoyable part of the job, was being able to watch the matches.
Pros
free merchandise/great discount on merchandise
Cons
pay wasn't that great.
Wonderful place of employment
Administrative and Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ross Building Room N125October 8, 2012
Meeting client needs is a daily task. Ordering and following up orders for hardware and software. I learned a lot about staff, procurement and budgetary responsibilities in my position. Co-workers were wonderful to work with. The hardest part of the job was meeting deadlines and keeping within budgetary restraints. The most enjoyable part was getting to know the wonderful staff members employed at York University.
Pros
meeting new people, benefits and swimming pool.
Cons
waiting for buses in the cold, snowy winters
Balance between Work and Study
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2014
● Advised and tutored 2 courses of 80 students each; supervised exams and enforced course regulations and rules
● Scheduled and maintained regular office hours to meet with students
● Assisted students individually and in small groups in order to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by professors
● Assessed students’ performance by grading exams and other course works, while meeting tight deadlines and providing analysis of class performance
● Performed administrative tasks to assist instructors and facilitate smooth operations
RUINED MY SUMMER. NOW I TRAVEL 2 HOURS TO BE STUCK WITH THIS JOB
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  torontoJuly 7, 2015
The did not go through with their contract, the contract was for 500 hours. they only gave me about 200. I had other many other offers to take in the summer since I go to schulich but I chose this because I thought I would save time on traveling becasue I will come here for school anyway but. they only gave me 6 hous and forced me to take unpaid an hour break in the middle and. RUINED MY SUMMER. NOW I TRAVEL 2 HOURS TO BE STUCK WITH THIS JOB

4.3