York University Employee Reviews

invoices
accounts payable/accounts receivable/journals
preparation of facilitators materials
sales/marketing on selling programs
website updates and add ons
ordering breakfast and lunches for programs
set up of meeting rooms / it equipment set up
customer services to participants and instructors
general administration every day as well
Fun always dealing with new people meeting new people, helping them improve their careers.
Always on the move , do more than one job very versatile
amazing place to work and be , great benefits

need to work closer to home now otherwise would of loved to retire at York U :)
Pros
Fun, versatile, exciting great benefits, great surroundings, a lot of employee wellness
Cons
To far from my home, commute is to long. parking expensive.
Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA buildingMay 20, 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
The Place to Learn
STUDENT AMBASSADOR AND MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2016
I will never regret my time at York University, at this institution, I was able to apply what I was learning into the classroom into on set experience while also making an income working an administrative position for the School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design.

A key skill that is required to manage the set work and administrative job is to find a balance in between both where you know you can successfully complete each job with excellence. That is also the hardest part of the job.

Working creative and administrative at the same time, allowed me to have a taste for both spectrums and find a great network of business- savvy and creative people. The typical day is long but never boring and filled with exciting new challenges.
Pros
Constant available staff for inquiries and teaching.
Cons
Productive office with undesirable work culture
Finance & Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONNovember 18, 2015
I had the opportunity to learn a lot as I was involved in multiple projects/roles. Small team of employees. Always felt like over worked and under staffed. Some colleagues are helpful and friendly. It is the highest office with significant amount of stress at work and politics. Work was plenty and sometimes interesting and challenging. Career growth opportunity within the office is low.
Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security
York University - College President
President for Founders College Student Council (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Overall great job. I was able to learn many skills such as team building, organization, and leadership.

The management team was fantastic, they were always there to help if help was needed.

I worked very closely with a team of 9 other people and I would say that was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York UniversityJuly 7, 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 23, 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Work Study Position
Transfer Transition Senior Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2016
I currently uphold a work study position in the Office of Admissions at York that allows my to schedule my work hours around my class times during the day. This has been a great way to supplement my income and achieve my degree at the same time.
Pros
Flexible Work Hours
Cons
Not enough income at this time
Interesting and Engaging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2016
I really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant for the Environment and Culture class. My students were very interested in the material, which made for good discussions. I also enjoyed working with the professor. He gave me a lot of freedom.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Unpredictable hours
great first job
Night Porter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2016
this job required me to develop costumer service skills while also being a part of the residence community. I learned how to communicate with my peers and their parents. I had the responsibility of ensuring the safety of our students and their guests in the residence building.
Pros
close and easy place to work
Cons
night shifts
Good workplace and environment
T2K Experiment Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 4, 2016
It was flexible hours as long as the work is done on time. Learned alot about the experiment I was working on. Communication and organization with the professor was clear and straightforward, and the coworkers were awesome to work with.
Passionate Team with Creative Projects
VLSI Designer (Current Employee) –  Lassonde SchoolJuly 17, 2016
Working in York University, I have to face a lot of challenges every day. The best benefit is to study from each other who is fulling of creative ideas in the team. Understanding and implementing from what we discussed is the best moment during the whole day.
Productive and fun environment to work at.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 5, 2016
Perfect for current undergraduate students to build experiences and bond with other students over the summer.

I learned to manage my time. I learned to be punctual. I became a better leader in my group.
Pros
student-oriented
Cons
physical job
Productive and interactive fun workplace
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
Work included a 9am-4pm office day, advising incoming first year students via an online community designed for these students, as well as through emails. I developed effective communication and customer skills, necessary for the job position as well as for everyday life.
Work/Study
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
There never was a typical day at work, none of my shifts were ever the same, but that is the nature of working with technology and printers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and problem solving as I worked off hours form regular business hours so I did not work with a supervisor present at all times. My co-workers were all pleasant and we worked well together.
Productive and fun place to work
Admissions Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 24, 2016
A great academic institution and a very nice work environment. You get to interact with a lot of people from different parts of the world
Pros
great working culture
Cons
none that I can think of
Modern day slavery
Post-doctoral fellow (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2015
Start early, finish late- long hours for poor compensation, no incentives and no benefits.

There is little or no career progression. Traditionally the concept was in place that a post doc led to an academic position at a university. This simply isn't true.

The only care the management has is the science. The physical or mental health of the employee is neglected.
Not the best company
Human Resources Assistant, Office of the Dean (Former Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 3, 2016
Too many changes and not enough workforce to support.

Culture of number pushers and lies.

No transparency

high expectation and low compensation

4.3