York University Employee Reviews

Interesting prospects if you are interested in academia
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
If you are interested in academia, York is a fantastic place to work. York provides flexible work hours and provides the freedom to fulfill your intellectual desire.
Working with Bethune College at York University
Event Coordinator — Bethune College (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2017
A typical day at work would consist of brainstorming new event ideas by researching new trends and social media expenditure which can be used to advertise our event. This would also require a lot of communication with other departments at York such as other Collages and the undergraduate first year administration department. Setting up meetings, replying to emails and returning calls were all part of a typical day at work.
Love working with my fellow work mates because some of them were also my classmates for many of my courses. This allowed me to make new friends and made work very enjoyable.
dsf
Undergraduate Sessional Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2017
Good place to work, lots of support and good people. Fair employment practices and equal rights. Average pay and job flexibility - enjoyable experience
Dedicated
Infrastructure Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
I am a dedicated, hard worker. I can work independently or in a team environment. I detailed oriented and goes the extra mile to deliver quality work.
Very organized, professional staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Book store6 March 2017
I enjoyed the busy environment. Great staff and consideration for your schedule. Clean and well maintained Book store and there is always help around the corner.
Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  York University21 February 2017
Great environment and people. Excellent benefits. I am an alumni and have spent a long time at York. I would recommend work at York University. Thank you.
Great flexibility and understanding for student schedules
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
Worked at York University as a Research Assistant and was able to work my hours when i was able to and was accommodated for my classes.
Excellent place to work
Budget Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON21 February 2017
- friendly environment
- lots of opportunity to advance your skills
- great job work/life balance (family friendly)
- great benefit package
- lots of long-term employees
productive place to work
Framing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2017
My co-workers were wonderful and i really enjoyed working with them. I also picked up several management skills that have help me work more effectively.
Good
Undergraduate Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 February 2017
Good job, especially after my first year of university. I was hoping to do more work on the undergraduate program but I was working on their website so that took up a lot of my time.
Pros
Connections with Professors
Cons
Limited Hours
Great place to work.
Network Operations - Network Technician (Current Employee) –  North York, ON9 February 2017
It's a great environment especially when starting out, the salaries/benefits are higher than industry average in Canada. Unionized to high heaven, can be both good and bad...
Pros
Unionized Environment
Cons
Unionized Environment
good
York university library assistant Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Address professors and students inquiries at the circulation desk
· Re-shelve books onto the book shelves in an organized manner
Handle inter-campus borrowing requests
Great networking opportunity
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
As an invigilator for the math department, I was able to meet different math professors and learn more about the program, department and build relationships for future opportunities.
did this
Student (Former Employee) –  student24 January 2017
developed persuasive skills on the art of the sell. At times I felt limitless always maxing out sales here, love it here. went back to school to pursue a career in marketing.
Good employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Great work life balance. It is unionized which means work security, good benefits and reasonable hours. Very good place to work for unionized employees but not good for non-union workers.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth, temporary work
Challenging and interesting.
Music Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
I have been given many opportunities and rose to the challenge.I started teaching once aweek private lessons only and quickly grew to teach and lecture large classes of around 80 students at a time. I have also directed guitar ensembles of 24 students performing music I arranged.
Pros
Great students.
Cons
Inadequate teaching rooms and technology.
Fun
Call Centre Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Called Alumni day to day asking for donations to the school, great co-workers and an excellent environment . The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get alumna/alumni to donate to the university.
Discipline
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Working in an Academic environment often evoke discipline and hard work, considering the calibre of people that you have to work with. As a research assistance, i was able to apply some of the theories learned in the classrooms.
Pros
highly Organized
Cons
Fast-paced workplace with very courteous management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accommodation and Conference Services-Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The front-desk staff was the front line for student housing and all problems and queries first came to us before being referred to the appropriate authority. The experience was unique in that, having been a student and on the other side of the table, it was interesting to see and learn what all went into operating the university residences smoothly and effectively. It was also a fantastic way of meeting new people from diverse backgrounds and learning to interact with them. I further built on my customer service skills and my experience of working both individually and in a team, in a fast-paced environment. The most important thing I learnt was that always having an answer is not the solution to every problem and, instead, being empathetic and a good listener can go a long way.
positive experience
Statistical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
great place to work. great management really enjoyed my job and had a very positive experience overall there. had great kind co-workers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4