York University Employee Reviews

Fun place to work. Provides opportunity to learn and grow.
Promotions and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2016
Early start to a day. I learned to communicate effectively. Polished my Marketing and promotions skills. Management is friendly and encouraging. Co workers have positive energy. Paperwork gets to be a little annoying sometimes. The Best part is having to interact with 60,000 students under one roof which helps grow your communication skills and ability to develop Customer service experience.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
old building
Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours
Fast-paced workplace with very courteous management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accommodation and Conference Services-Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The front-desk staff was the front line for student housing and all problems and queries first came to us before being referred to the appropriate authority. The experience was unique in that, having been a student and on the other side of the table, it was interesting to see and learn what all went into operating the university residences smoothly and effectively. It was also a fantastic way of meeting new people from diverse backgrounds and learning to interact with them. I further built on my customer service skills and my experience of working both individually and in a team, in a fast-paced environment. The most important thing I learnt was that always having an answer is not the solution to every problem and, instead, being empathetic and a good listener can go a long way.
Challenging and interesting.
Music Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
I have been given many opportunities and rose to the challenge.I started teaching once aweek private lessons only and quickly grew to teach and lecture large classes of around 80 students at a time. I have also directed guitar ensembles of 24 students performing music I arranged.
Pros
Great students.
Cons
Inadequate teaching rooms and technology.
Fun work place with student employees.
Senior Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Calling york alumni on a regular basis. Before the shift starts, there is a question of the day so that everybody gets a chance to talk and open up before the shift begins. The hardest part of the job was to talk to strangers on a daily basis not knowing what the other person on the phone will give me as a situation to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and management. Very friendly management, who were easy to talk too.
Pros
Stickers for time off the phone
Cons
Limited working hours
Good experience of customer service
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
• Build customer relationship
• Open/Close the cash register (counting money and balances)
• Maintaining clear store condition
• Quickly understanding customer’s needs
• Serving best goods and products
• Cashiered with two cash registers at once in tandem to maximize customer flow
Pros
Free lunch
Overly competitve
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
My experince working in the call centre was that if you weren't bringing in tons of money you weren't good enough. I hated that feeling and so did many others who were working there. I worked here for less than a year and management expected me to be really good at the job and rake in tons of money after just two months working there. I was basically told that if I couldn't make the money then I wouldn't have a job. I didn't feel welcomed or comfortable working there. If you have any other choice don't work at York University's Call Centre. The only good thing was the pay.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Discipline
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Working in an Academic environment often evoke discipline and hard work, considering the calibre of people that you have to work with. As a research assistance, i was able to apply some of the theories learned in the classrooms.
Pros
highly Organized
Good employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Great work life balance. It is unionized which means work security, good benefits and reasonable hours. Very good place to work for unionized employees but not good for non-union workers.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth, temporary work
Productive and fun work place
Front desk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  YORK RESIDENCE4 November 2016
working with york university built my confidence and thought me great customer service. I gained so much from this company such as audience speaking , tackling customers problems and helping colleagues with their job.
Productive and fun place to work
Kinesiology Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 August 2016
We would go there in the morning and afternoon, take the kids to the gym and play games with them wearing a belt that would tell us how much children were running.
I've learned a lot and had a lot of fun, met new friends, everyone would help each other, everyone was fair and treated with respect.
Research was Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
developed a lot of academic expertise through research and learnt to work independently. Conducted hours of library research and online databases. Performed several lab procedures and tests. Very Good Experience
Pros
experience
Cons
overtime work
Interesting and Engaging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2016
I really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant for the Environment and Culture class. My students were very interested in the material, which made for good discussions. I also enjoyed working with the professor. He gave me a lot of freedom.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Great opportunity working with a successful Sociology Professor
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  York University7 July 2016
I did most of the work from home so I had to be self motivated and disciplined. however, I worked well with the Professor and was able to submit great work in assisting in an in depth study. i was responsible to listen to interviews and create graphic data to interpret the content of the interview conversation.
Pros
Flexibility in hours
Cons
part time
Productive and fun place to work with wonderful co-workers.
Bookstore gate and Line Control Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 October 2016
This was a fun place to work.The managers were efficient and understanding. Coworkers are willing to help out. Overall it is a good place to work.
Pros
close to home
A pleasure to play for special events
Co-founder of Twin Harmony Quartet (Current Employee) –  Flutist5 December 2016
Twin Harmony Quartet, which formed at York University is comprised of two flutes and two cellos. We perform for weddings , graduations, or any other special event.

4.3