York University Employee Reviews

Working with Bethune College at York University
Event Coordinator — Bethune College (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2017
A typical day at work would consist of brainstorming new event ideas by researching new trends and social media expenditure which can be used to advertise our event. This would also require a lot of communication with other departments at York such as other Collages and the undergraduate first year administration department. Setting up meetings, replying to emails and returning calls were all part of a typical day at work.
Love working with my fellow work mates because some of them were also my classmates for many of my courses. This allowed me to make new friends and made work very enjoyable.
Challenging and interesting.
Music Professor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 January 2017
I have been given many opportunities and rose to the challenge.I started teaching once aweek private lessons only and quickly grew to teach and lecture large classes of around 80 students at a time. I have also directed guitar ensembles of 24 students performing music I arranged.
Pros
Great students.
Cons
Inadequate teaching rooms and technology.
Fast-paced workplace with very courteous management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accommodation and Conference Services-Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The front-desk staff was the front line for student housing and all problems and queries first came to us before being referred to the appropriate authority. The experience was unique in that, having been a student and on the other side of the table, it was interesting to see and learn what all went into operating the university residences smoothly and effectively. It was also a fantastic way of meeting new people from diverse backgrounds and learning to interact with them. I further built on my customer service skills and my experience of working both individually and in a team, in a fast-paced environment. The most important thing I learnt was that always having an answer is not the solution to every problem and, instead, being empathetic and a good listener can go a long way.
Fun place to work. Provides opportunity to learn and grow.
Promotions and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2016
Early start to a day. I learned to communicate effectively. Polished my Marketing and promotions skills. Management is friendly and encouraging. Co workers have positive energy. Paperwork gets to be a little annoying sometimes. The Best part is having to interact with 60,000 students under one roof which helps grow your communication skills and ability to develop Customer service experience.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
old building
Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours
Great place to work.
Network Operations - Network Technician (Current Employee) –  North York, ON9 February 2017
It's a great environment especially when starting out, the salaries/benefits are higher than industry average in Canada. Unionized to high heaven, can be both good and bad...
Pros
Unionized Environment
Cons
Unionized Environment
Good employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Great work life balance. It is unionized which means work security, good benefits and reasonable hours. Very good place to work for unionized employees but not good for non-union workers.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth, temporary work
Discipline
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
Working in an Academic environment often evoke discipline and hard work, considering the calibre of people that you have to work with. As a research assistance, i was able to apply some of the theories learned in the classrooms.
Pros
highly Organized
Cons
Good
Undergraduate Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON12 February 2017
Good job, especially after my first year of university. I was hoping to do more work on the undergraduate program but I was working on their website so that took up a lot of my time.
Pros
Connections with Professors
Cons
Limited Hours
Good experience of customer service
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
• Build customer relationship
• Open/Close the cash register (counting money and balances)
• Maintaining clear store condition
• Quickly understanding customer’s needs
• Serving best goods and products
• Cashiered with two cash registers at once in tandem to maximize customer flow
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Fun work place with student employees.
Senior Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Calling york alumni on a regular basis. Before the shift starts, there is a question of the day so that everybody gets a chance to talk and open up before the shift begins. The hardest part of the job was to talk to strangers on a daily basis not knowing what the other person on the phone will give me as a situation to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and management. Very friendly management, who were easy to talk too.
Pros
Stickers for time off the phone
Cons
Limited working hours
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
Interesting prospects if you are interested in academia
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 March 2017
If you are interested in academia, York is a fantastic place to work. York provides flexible work hours and provides the freedom to fulfill your intellectual desire.
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Great networking opportunity
Invigilator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
As an invigilator for the math department, I was able to meet different math professors and learn more about the program, department and build relationships for future opportunities.
Overly competitve
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
My experince working in the call centre was that if you weren't bringing in tons of money you weren't good enough. I hated that feeling and so did many others who were working there. I worked here for less than a year and management expected me to be really good at the job and rake in tons of money after just two months working there. I was basically told that if I couldn't make the money then I wouldn't have a job. I didn't feel welcomed or comfortable working there. If you have any other choice don't work at York University's Call Centre. The only good thing was the pay.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management
good
York university library assistant Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 February 2017
Address professors and students inquiries at the circulation desk
· Re-shelve books onto the book shelves in an organized manner
Handle inter-campus borrowing requests
Productive and fun work place
Front desk/ receptionist (Former Employee) –  YORK RESIDENCE4 November 2016
working with york university built my confidence and thought me great customer service. I gained so much from this company such as audience speaking , tackling customers problems and helping colleagues with their job.
Great flexibility and understanding for student schedules
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2017
Worked at York University as a Research Assistant and was able to work my hours when i was able to and was accommodated for my classes.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at York University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4