York University Employee Reviews

Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security
Fun place to work. Provides opportunity to learn and grow.
Promotions and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2016
Early start to a day. I learned to communicate effectively. Polished my Marketing and promotions skills. Management is friendly and encouraging. Co workers have positive energy. Paperwork gets to be a little annoying sometimes. The Best part is having to interact with 60,000 students under one roof which helps grow your communication skills and ability to develop Customer service experience.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
old building
Fun and interactive, physically demanding, no advancement opportunities
Text Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
I worked mainly the afternoon shift, partly assisting students find their text based on course schedules/codes through the inventory system and from printouts. The remainder of the shift was restocking shelves once the store closed working until midnight. Team work is essential, sharing information with each other helps students.

Hardest part: physically lifting very heavy boxes and restocking

Enjoyable part: working with new and old students, discussing subjects of study and relating own experiences at university

I learned to use a new system to look up the books related to different courses.

Management is split between upper and lower floors; lower floor (text department) managers were very flexible, helpful. Upper floor a bit impatient and demanding.

Unfortunately no advancement opportunities (even for full-time regular employees in the textbook department)
Pros
meeting the students, helping them find books, could listen to earphones if on late shift
Cons
short breaks, fast learning curve, no full time opportunities
Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Not the best company
Human Resources Assistant, Office of the Dean (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 August 2016
Too many changes and not enough workforce to support.

Culture of number pushers and lies.

No transparency

high expectation and low compensation
Fun work place with student employees.
Senior Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Calling york alumni on a regular basis. Before the shift starts, there is a question of the day so that everybody gets a chance to talk and open up before the shift begins. The hardest part of the job was to talk to strangers on a daily basis not knowing what the other person on the phone will give me as a situation to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and management. Very friendly management, who were easy to talk too.
Pros
Stickers for time off the phone
Cons
Limited working hours
Overly competitve
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
My experince working in the call centre was that if you weren't bringing in tons of money you weren't good enough. I hated that feeling and so did many others who were working there. I worked here for less than a year and management expected me to be really good at the job and rake in tons of money after just two months working there. I was basically told that if I couldn't make the money then I wouldn't have a job. I didn't feel welcomed or comfortable working there. If you have any other choice don't work at York University's Call Centre. The only good thing was the pay.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
exciting, busy, fun, versatility
invoices
accounts payable/accounts receivable/journals
preparation of facilitators materials
sales/marketing on selling programs
website updates and add ons
ordering breakfast and lunches for programs
set up of meeting rooms / it equipment set up
customer services to participants and instructors
general administration every day as well
Fun always dealing with new people meeting new people, helping them improve their careers.
Always on the move , do more than one job very versatile
amazing place to work and be , great benefits

need to work closer to home now otherwise would of loved to retire at York U :)
Pros
Fun, versatile, exciting great benefits, great surroundings, a lot of employee wellness
Cons
To far from my home, commute is to long. parking expensive.
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA building20 May 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
Good experience of customer service
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
• Build customer relationship
• Open/Close the cash register (counting money and balances)
• Maintaining clear store condition
• Quickly understanding customer’s needs
• Serving best goods and products
• Cashiered with two cash registers at once in tandem to maximize customer flow
Pros
Free lunch
The Place to Learn
STUDENT AMBASSADOR AND MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2016
I will never regret my time at York University, at this institution, I was able to apply what I was learning into the classroom into on set experience while also making an income working an administrative position for the School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design.

A key skill that is required to manage the set work and administrative job is to find a balance in between both where you know you can successfully complete each job with excellence. That is also the hardest part of the job.

Working creative and administrative at the same time, allowed me to have a taste for both spectrums and find a great network of business- savvy and creative people. The typical day is long but never boring and filled with exciting new challenges.
Pros
Constant available staff for inquiries and teaching.
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
Interesting and Engaging
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2016
I really enjoyed working as a teaching assistant for the Environment and Culture class. My students were very interested in the material, which made for good discussions. I also enjoyed working with the professor. He gave me a lot of freedom.
Pros
Good students
Cons
Unpredictable hours
Just started working here.
A/V TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
it's been great so far. Staff are great and professional and management are very polite. I recently started this job so I'm still learning more about the whole experience.
wonderful environment
Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
the culture at this institution is excellent snd everyone i worked with were amazing,good and profitable advice from superiors.
Had no issues what so ever during my time there.
Productive and fun place to work
Admissions Recruitment Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A great academic institution and a very nice work environment. You get to interact with a lot of people from different parts of the world
Pros
great working culture
Cons
none that I can think of
YorkU Adminstration
Liaison & Database Assistant (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Environmental Studies, Toronto, ON24 April 2016
Being part of the administration at York University gives one the opportunity to delve in Academia, and all the wonderful things that happen there, without requiring a PhD.
York prides itself in providing the utmost professional administration and services, and offers great salaries, benefits, and opportunities to advance.
Incredible team
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 November 2016
• Appointment Scheduler and Event Organizer.
• Assisted Professors with administrative duties, handling over 10,000 students per semester.
• Effectively collaborated with students to organize their schedules and make appointments with professors for advice and consultations.
• Liaised between charitable organizations and donors, with the aim of raising funds.
Pros
great team and location
Cons
short hours

4.3