York University Employee Reviews in Canada

Leadership Experience
Sculpture Studio Monitor (Former Employee) –  CFA buildingMay 20, 2016
The shift is determined in an overall monitoring of studio and safety guidelines to be followed by students working in their projects.
The use of time management and teamwork in completing tasks on time such as clean up at the end of the shift.
The duties prescribed by the manager are easy to follow and self reliant.
Fellow artists are co-workers and a simple understanding of protocols is met.
To guide students into following the safety guidelines without discouraging their efforts in finishing projects.
To have access to the studio with all their machines, tools and space available.
Pros
Own scheduling and based on class
Cons
Short shifts, few hours per week
Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security
The Place to Learn
STUDENT AMBASSADOR AND MENTOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2016
I will never regret my time at York University, at this institution, I was able to apply what I was learning into the classroom into on set experience while also making an income working an administrative position for the School of Arts, Media, Performance and Design.

A key skill that is required to manage the set work and administrative job is to find a balance in between both where you know you can successfully complete each job with excellence. That is also the hardest part of the job.

Working creative and administrative at the same time, allowed me to have a taste for both spectrums and find a great network of business- savvy and creative people. The typical day is long but never boring and filled with exciting new challenges.
Pros
Constant available staff for inquiries and teaching.
Work/Study
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 12, 2016
There never was a typical day at work, none of my shifts were ever the same, but that is the nature of working with technology and printers. I learned a lot about troubleshooting and problem solving as I worked off hours form regular business hours so I did not work with a supervisor present at all times. My co-workers were all pleasant and we worked well together.
Inclusive, fun environment
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 7, 2016
Spent a week as an orientation leader welcoming new students to the school. This enhanced my leadership skills and opened my eyes to more inclusive environments. My fellow orientation leaders were very enthusiastic, making my job more enjoyable. The hardest part of this was the hours as many of the events went late (4AM) and started early (8AM). The most enjoyable aspect was that it was fun and rewarding to welcome new students to the university.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Work hors
York University is a great University, looking out for the future of all it's students
Professional Teaching Placements (Unpaid) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2016
The campus is beautiful, and has over 60,000 enrolled annually. The classes were appropriate in time length. If you live in North York, Toronto, or Brampton. It is an easy and accessible place to get to.
The teaching placements were of immense benefit to me as a Student teacher. The administration handled everything very well. I loved my teaching placements with York. Many great mentor teachers were provided.
YorkU Adminstration
Liaison & Database Assistant (Former Employee) –  Faculty of Environmental Studies, Toronto, ONApril 24, 2016
Being part of the administration at York University gives one the opportunity to delve in Academia, and all the wonderful things that happen there, without requiring a PhD.
York prides itself in providing the utmost professional administration and services, and offers great salaries, benefits, and opportunities to advance.
Productive and interactive fun workplace
Student Ambassador and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
Work included a 9am-4pm office day, advising incoming first year students via an online community designed for these students, as well as through emails. I developed effective communication and customer skills, necessary for the job position as well as for everyday life.
York University - College President
President for Founders College Student Council (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 9, 2016
Overall great job. I was able to learn many skills such as team building, organization, and leadership.

The management team was fantastic, they were always there to help if help was needed.

I worked very closely with a team of 9 other people and I would say that was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Very encouraging and motivational
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
There was always something to do on a typical day, no dull moments and a great team to work with. Everyone was productive and helpful. When the results are not as hoped for everyone gave vital recommendations and inputs, which was great.
exciting, busy, fun, versatility
invoices
accounts payable/accounts receivable/journals
preparation of facilitators materials
sales/marketing on selling programs
website updates and add ons
ordering breakfast and lunches for programs
set up of meeting rooms / it equipment set up
customer services to participants and instructors
general administration every day as well
Fun always dealing with new people meeting new people, helping them improve their careers.
Always on the move , do more than one job very versatile
amazing place to work and be , great benefits

need to work closer to home now otherwise would of loved to retire at York U :)
Pros
Fun, versatile, exciting great benefits, great surroundings, a lot of employee wellness
Cons
To far from my home, commute is to long. parking expensive.
very good salary for graduate student to cover their tuition
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
Basically just support professor whatever they need about the curriculum. holding office hour is very important and the best way to communicate to your students.
Pros
good salary for part-time job
Cons
Reading and translating documents from one language to another
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
A typical day at work will include a lot of reading and translating document from English to French

Answering calls and taking note if required

Organizing and filling different documents

Scheduling appointments for the professor as well as greeting students and other people coming to see her
A very engaging workplace with very ethical people who are very concerned with you personal developement
Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 15, 2016
A great engaging and challenging workplace. Lots of friendly people and great support and help. Very flexible hours and tons of support
Very productive and learning environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 18, 2016
Lot of reading and writing as the main task was to translate documents from french to English. Very good experience as it sharpened my English and writing reports. Answering calls, taking messages, replying to some emails, greetings guest to the office.
Pros
Sharpened my english
Cons
Productive and friendly place to work
Student Parking Staff (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 4, 2016
I have been working at York for the last 4 years now and the job is not hard and help you a lot to grow in maturity not only to solve work problems but also towards your life goals.
Pros
helpful when student
Cons
not well paid
Graduate funding opportunity
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 30, 2016
Teaching assistant position were offered to graduate students to subsidize the cost of the year. Overall, a good experience which allowed me to interact with students and help them in times of need.
a good place to study
international student peer mentor (Former Employee) –  york universityMay 7, 2016
It is a good place to study. I learned a lot in this school. It also lets me meet a lot of new people. I had fun here.
My job duties including communicating with students to help them academically.
Amazing work environment
(TA) Introduction to World Religion Course (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
I learned many new things from York University. The ability to interact with various people on a daily basis helps to develop yourself to your utmost potential.
Productive office with undesirable work culture
Finance & Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ONNovember 18, 2015
I had the opportunity to learn a lot as I was involved in multiple projects/roles. Small team of employees. Always felt like over worked and under staffed. Some colleagues are helpful and friendly. It is the highest office with significant amount of stress at work and politics. Work was plenty and sometimes interesting and challenging. Career growth opportunity within the office is low.

4.3