York University Employee Reviews

Friendly and positive work environment
Financial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Very friendly office environment. Managers care more about the quality of work delivered rather than the time spent in office. Good work-life balance.
Amazing Place to Work
Student Computing Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2017
This place, is a wonderful place to work. I learnt various technical skills, mainly focusing on AV setup and clean up. Furthermore I learnt how to handle a difficult client. The management and work hours are top notch. Ranging from 10-15 a week. The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with angry clients. The most enjoyable part is when you solve someones issue, giving you a sense of accomplishment
Fantastic Experience
Teaching Assistant, Marker | Grader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2017
I absolutely loved attending York University. All courses in both my undergraduate program and graduate school were enlightening and assisted me in ensuring the way I looked at the world was from a well-informed and well-rounded position.
A lot of communication and management
Residence Life Night Porter (Current Employee) –  North York, ON31 October 2017
Communication is the key at work because I get to meet a lot of people at work. I like interacting so work is fun for me. Over the period I have worked it has enhanced my conversing skills.
strength job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2017
physical fitness job requiring lifting books. Helping students find the materials they needed. Be careful to show the desired articles to avoid restocking.
Pros
Very alert
Cons
Hours were short
ITC department at York University
I.T troubleshooter and Complaint coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2017
ITC department does not exist anymore. It used to hire part time students before but not anymore. It was an amazing place to work for students. It provided students with flexibility to work according to their study requirements.
nice place to wok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2017
great place to work .York university is a multicultural work environment. This job helps me learn so many things from other people. All staff offered a helping hand when you needed it.
It was a great work place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Book store26 September 2017
Great workplace with exceptional and helpful supervisors and colleagues.
Very diverse group and everyone is very friendly and ready to assist.
Strict on cell phones usage, however, it's a pleasurable environment,
Good University
Student (Current Employee) –  Lassonde School of Engineering25 September 2017
Really a big university.A fun university for students. Have many opportunities to work as an entrepreneur.A really fun university.Have lots of on-campus jobs.
Very multicultural work environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
York university is a multicultural work environment which focuses on equality and diversity. It also offers very good benefits and professional development opportunities.
Introductory lab experience
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON8 September 2017
- great part time (work/study) position, as a student you get to meet people and get guidance into the industry. Also convenient if you are always on campus.
Fun work & good pay
Marker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2017
This job helps me learn from other people's mistakes as well as my own past ones. A great opportunity that one shouldn't pass! Also a good time to network.
Pros
Learning and networking opportunities
Cons
Each shift can be very long
Great place for a TA!
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2017
Working as a teaching assistant while completing my graduate work at York was a fantastic way to connect with professors as well as students. I improved my teaching and communication skills helping struggling students better understand the course material.
Average work environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 August 2017
The benefits as a CUPE member are absolutely fantastic, however when there are issues with salary and payments, it is very difficult to get answers and explanations.
Benefits
Cons
Red tape
Excellent university
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 August 2017
A typical day includes performing laboratory experiments, maintaining the mouse colony in the vivarium, making stock solutions, and teaching undergraduate laboratories and tutorials
Great Staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 August 2017
I worked in a very welcoming Department. All staff and faculty offered a helping hand when you needed it. Flexible hours. Wonderful experience. I would recommend working at York University if provided the opportunity.
Research departments allow one to enhance skills and knowledge
Research Associate & Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 August 2017
Professors always ready to help and show a keen interest in further strengthening the skills of students and employees!

Work as a unit and great opportunities to learn and apply!
It's okay working here.
Junior Cost Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 July 2017
Worked here for a very long time, only for the experience. They do not foster any sort of future within the positions. Worked 830-430 which is standard timing all around. Management was not too bad.
Great work and jobs available to students but NO job security and bad salaries
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2017
The jobs are fun, easy and contribute to the students ability to complete their education by working for it.

However, the pay is so minimal it can barely cover my rent and I need to eat. They discourage having a job while completing a Masters degree, but I have no choice when this job which covers my tuition does not come close to covering the rest of my needs.
Pros
Great work life balance
Cons
Bad salary structure
productive workpalce
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2017
I have learnt a lot about researching in my own field of interest, I have worked as a research and teacher assistant for two years now, teaching different engineering coursed to undergraduate students.