York University Employee Reviews

great place to work
Residence Don (Current Employee) –  68 winters lane12 January 2018
if you love working with students, and being able to work while living for free this is the job to do. It is a life changing job that promotes growth and provides further opportunities.
Stationary Engineer (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 January 2018
Typical day is run off your feet. You must me part robot and part superman. Staff out to cut your throat every step of the way. Government staff get all the credit and zero for Engineering and maintenance. People are mostly rude at that time.
Pros
na
Cons
na
Great place to work!
Budget and Student Funding Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 January 2018
York University is a great place to work. They offer a decent salary, and an exceptional benefits package. Overall I would recommend this employer to any administrative or educational professional looking for meaningful employment in a respectful environment.
Great university
Analytical Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 December 2017
York University is an ever improving educational institution, A great place to acquire invaluable career skills. Although the quality of education is top of the line, there are outdated credit and administrative systems which complicate students' education.
Pros
wide variety of career pathways offered
Cons
Overly complicated and outdated course credit system. Safety concerns on campus
productive
Internship research project (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 December 2017
productive,zealous,togetherness, cooperative and my period at york university was okay because i was able to gain some insight into my field of studies
Summary
Web Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 December 2017
Awesome place to work. People are great, some positions are unionized. Very dynamic place. Hardest part of the job - people want to get things done as of yesterday (sometimes).
Good
Data Entry & Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 December 2017
Great place to work. Looking for new advancements is tough. Always ask for experience yet need to provide options for new grads trying to enter the workforce.
Great work place
Assistante de langue (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2017
Amazing workplace, amazing staff and colleagues. First real Canadian experience, it gave me much pleasure to work there
helpful work environment
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2017
York University is a great place to work. Friendly coworkers with professional work environment. The union support of York University is great with tons of benefits.
York University Review
Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 December 2017
Best University for me.
great respect toward diversity
great educators from different backgrounds
good teacher college(winter college)
earned my tow degrees there with satisfaction
Excellent
Digital Media Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North York, ON27 November 2017
I loved working at York University. Everything about working there was amazing. I have 0 complaints. The students, staff, faculty and everyone was super friendly and helpful.

Each day was different.
Overwhelming and overly expectant work culture (Student Residence Life Position Only)
Residence Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 November 2017
Very fun and convenient to work for residence life, but at the end of the day the cons far outnumber the pros.

You are essentially working and studying where you're living, all at once. You're expected to be very available and put work before school, family, and friends. Not many opportunities to escape and have personal time

Management was terrible, more often than not failing to follow up with reported concerns and incidents. Not very understanding of real life priorities, seem to think that there is no world outside of residence life and fails to understand external factors or why people would want to prioritize other things over residence life.
productive, fun place to work
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2017
get to meet new people learn things while your working and just having fun and be a team player.......................................................
Contract work
Research Assistant, Public Policy Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2017
Love work there great benefits. Great pay. Hard to get a job unless you know someone but had a really good experience would go back in a heart beat. Like getting paid to learn
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Contract wrk
Friendly and positive work environment
Financial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2017
Very friendly office environment. Managers care more about the quality of work delivered rather than the time spent in office. Good work-life balance.
Amazing Place to Work
Student Computing Services Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 November 2017
This place, is a wonderful place to work. I learnt various technical skills, mainly focusing on AV setup and clean up. Furthermore I learnt how to handle a difficult client. The management and work hours are top notch. Ranging from 10-15 a week. The hardest part of the job has to be dealing with angry clients. The most enjoyable part is when you solve someones issue, giving you a sense of accomplishment
Fantastic Experience
Teaching Assistant, Marker | Grader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2017
I absolutely loved attending York University. All courses in both my undergraduate program and graduate school were enlightening and assisted me in ensuring the way I looked at the world was from a well-informed and well-rounded position.
A lot of communication and management
Residence Life Night Porter (Current Employee) –  North York, ON31 October 2017
Communication is the key at work because I get to meet a lot of people at work. I like interacting so work is fun for me. Over the period I have worked it has enhanced my conversing skills.
strength job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 October 2017
physical fitness job requiring lifting books. Helping students find the materials they needed. Be careful to show the desired articles to avoid restocking.
Pros
Very alert
Cons
Hours were short
ITC department at York University
I.T troubleshooter and Complaint coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2017
ITC department does not exist anymore. It used to hire part time students before but not anymore. It was an amazing place to work for students. It provided students with flexibility to work according to their study requirements.