York University Employee Reviews

Fun place to work. Provides opportunity to learn and grow.
Promotions and Marketing Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2016
Early start to a day. I learned to communicate effectively. Polished my Marketing and promotions skills. Management is friendly and encouraging. Co workers have positive energy. Paperwork gets to be a little annoying sometimes. The Best part is having to interact with 60,000 students under one roof which helps grow your communication skills and ability to develop Customer service experience.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
old building
Good employer
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
Great work life balance. It is unionized which means work security, good benefits and reasonable hours. Very good place to work for unionized employees but not good for non-union workers.
Benefits
Cons
No room for growth, temporary work
Exactly what you'd expect from a university
Teaching/Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 May 2016
The workplace was fairly relaxed. Plenty of colloquium throughout the week to keep you up to date on what's new in the world of science. You worked when you wanted to or when you were scheduled to teach students, all that mattered was that the work got done on time. There was not much job security; it was a dice toss every four months on whether you'd continue to have a job. Management was easy to deal with and coworkers were very friendly. It was satisfying to come in every day and work on hard science and teach students when scheduled to.
Pros
Good benefits and flexible hours
Cons
low pay and no job security
Fun and interactive, physically demanding, no advancement opportunities
Text Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2016
I worked mainly the afternoon shift, partly assisting students find their text based on course schedules/codes through the inventory system and from printouts. The remainder of the shift was restocking shelves once the store closed working until midnight. Team work is essential, sharing information with each other helps students.

Hardest part: physically lifting very heavy boxes and restocking

Enjoyable part: working with new and old students, discussing subjects of study and relating own experiences at university

I learned to use a new system to look up the books related to different courses.

Management is split between upper and lower floors; lower floor (text department) managers were very flexible, helpful. Upper floor a bit impatient and demanding.

Unfortunately no advancement opportunities (even for full-time regular employees in the textbook department)
Pros
meeting the students, helping them find books, could listen to earphones if on late shift
Cons
short breaks, fast learning curve, no full time opportunities
Great University, good professor and good financial support to students
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 September 2016
York University was a great place to work; the management there is attentive, always ready to answer questions and address concerns. High financial support for every student and especially PhDs, many activities and career fairs to go to.
Fun work place with student employees.
Senior Annual Fund Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
Calling york alumni on a regular basis. Before the shift starts, there is a question of the day so that everybody gets a chance to talk and open up before the shift begins. The hardest part of the job was to talk to strangers on a daily basis not knowing what the other person on the phone will give me as a situation to deal with. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and management. Very friendly management, who were easy to talk too.
Pros
Stickers for time off the phone
Cons
Limited working hours
Not the best company
Human Resources Assistant, Office of the Dean (Former Employee) –  North York, ON3 August 2016
Too many changes and not enough workforce to support.

Culture of number pushers and lies.

No transparency

high expectation and low compensation
Overly competitve
Annual Fund Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
My experince working in the call centre was that if you weren't bringing in tons of money you weren't good enough. I hated that feeling and so did many others who were working there. I worked here for less than a year and management expected me to be really good at the job and rake in tons of money after just two months working there. I was basically told that if I couldn't make the money then I wouldn't have a job. I didn't feel welcomed or comfortable working there. If you have any other choice don't work at York University's Call Centre. The only good thing was the pay.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Terrible management
Fast-paced workplace with very courteous management
Front Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Accommodation and Conference Services-Toronto, ON20 December 2016
The front-desk staff was the front line for student housing and all problems and queries first came to us before being referred to the appropriate authority. The experience was unique in that, having been a student and on the other side of the table, it was interesting to see and learn what all went into operating the university residences smoothly and effectively. It was also a fantastic way of meeting new people from diverse backgrounds and learning to interact with them. I further built on my customer service skills and my experience of working both individually and in a team, in a fast-paced environment. The most important thing I learnt was that always having an answer is not the solution to every problem and, instead, being empathetic and a good listener can go a long way.
Convocation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 October 2016
I learned how to coordinate and recruit. Because I started as a sales person and moved on to supervisor and then started hiring individuals. It was a great experience because you learn a lot and at the same time get the chance to communicate with different clients.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Customers
Great place to work.
Network Operations - Network Technician (Current Employee) –  North York, ON9 February 2017
It's a great environment especially when starting out, the salaries/benefits are higher than industry average in Canada. Unionized to high heaven, can be both good and bad...
Pros
Unionized Environment
Cons
Unionized Environment
Excellent place to work
Budget Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York, ON21 February 2017
- friendly environment
- lots of opportunity to advance your skills
- great job work/life balance (family friendly)
- great benefit package
- lots of long-term employees
Productive and Enjoyable Work Environment
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 September 2016
The environment was very welcoming. My co-workers were very helpful, when I asked. I learned how to deal with student complaints in a professional manner. Management was great, and very understanding. The best part of my job was being able to see other happy, when I greeted them.
Productive and relax workplace
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 December 2016
My experience here was great since the work to be done was straight forward and the amount if work was reasonable. The staff were friendly and the overal atmosphere was positivr. It was a competitive type of job and so a little bit stressful.
Good experience of customer service
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
• Build customer relationship
• Open/Close the cash register (counting money and balances)
• Maintaining clear store condition
• Quickly understanding customer’s needs
• Serving best goods and products
• Cashiered with two cash registers at once in tandem to maximize customer flow
Pros
Free lunch
positive experience
Statistical Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 December 2016
great place to work. great management really enjoyed my job and had a very positive experience overall there. had great kind co-workers.
productive place to work
Framing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2017
My co-workers were wonderful and i really enjoyed working with them. I also picked up several management skills that have help me work more effectively.
did this
Student (Former Employee) –  student24 January 2017
developed persuasive skills on the art of the sell. At times I felt limitless always maxing out sales here, love it here. went back to school to pursue a career in marketing.
Just started working here.
A/V TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2016
it's been great so far. Staff are great and professional and management are very polite. I recently started this job so I'm still learning more about the whole experience.
wonderful environment
Campus Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
the culture at this institution is excellent snd everyone i worked with were amazing,good and profitable advice from superiors.
Had no issues what so ever during my time there.

4.4