York Region Employee Reviews

Review of York region
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  York, ON14 February 2018
The orgnsation is a great one to work with including great support from colleagues, peers and managers. Great software and good technologies are used in the region/\.
Management not held to standards
Accounting (Current Employee) –  York Region14 February 2018
Payroll - salary and benefits are good
Work/Life balance - can be quite good
Culture - senior management try to promote a healthy work environment with room to grow

Typical though (for this department) - Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years or you will be typecast in your role. Management does not encourage any type of career growth and external hires fill the majority of new hires. Any expressed dissatisfaction with the ability to take internal courses, take on additional responsibilities or new roles is not addressed in any meaningful way.

There are too many management levels and not enough review of the "work" that management is doing. More areas should have 360 feedback reviews; senior management should act on those reviews and have strict and thorough follow up to ensure that real change occurs.
Pros
co-workers are good; pay and benefits are good
Cons
poor management
Organized workplace
Info Tech (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 January 2018
Great learning opportunity and a very supportive environment. Has great training and opportunity for professional development. Very organized and forward thinking organization.
Worked through Agency
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  York, ON11 November 2017
I worked at Regional Municipality of York through Agency. Covered for a person who went on sick leave. She came back and hence my contract ended. They wanted me to come back but I already started working for Nordson Canada Limited and I could not leave.
Pros
Would have been good if it was a permanent job
Cons
Public Transportation was not available
Supportive and friendly workplace
Architectural Space Design Assistant (Former Employee) –  York, ON2 November 2017
A nice work experience with friendly and supportive staff. Great work environment at the new Property Services building, all new building with lots of space.
An organisation that provides true work life balance
Statistical Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  York, ON3 October 2017
A place where employees are provided with tools to sharpen their skills. The employer provides ample training and development opportunities. Employer of choice with a respectful work environment.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
No bonus
Excellent benefits and hours
Administrative Assistant to Director (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 September 2017
Excellent benefit and retirement plan. Great office location. good supplies. Close to home. Close to transit. Several locations. Many jobs to choose from.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Hours
A place where one can work and learn.
Project Manager - Information Technology Services (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON19 June 2017
Region provides a challenging and very conducing work environment where one can contribute while avail oneself of the opportunity to develop and grow.
Typical government job
Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 June 2017
Lots of bureaucracy.
Weird hiring transition from temporary to permanent as you will have to reinterview for your own job.
Not recommended for anyone who thrives on deadlines as they're meaningless here.
Great company to work for
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON5 March 2017
There's always lots to learn and always great opportunities to gain more experience.

Responsibilities include transporting passengers and providing assistance when needed.
Productive and a fun place to work
HRS Recruiter 1 year (Former Employee) –  York, ON2 December 2016
Management was supportive in my desire to advance within the organization.

I was able to pursue my goals to enter a Human Resources role as Recruiter.
Management Top Heavy
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  York Region29 July 2016
The salary and benefits are industry leaders but there is a reason for that. The organization has to many managers that spend to much time trying to justify their positions. The end result is that the average employee suffers. The commissioner came from the private sector and new Director the same, result? Neanderthal thinking, ie; operations switched to 24/7 schedule. 12 hour shifts 7 days a week. They think there is a cost savings, trust me, no cost savings, 40 hour work week spread out into 168 hour work week with 40 hours of work. Other municipalities have tried it but found that it wasn't feasible. Unfortunately management is more concerned about there own vertical movement in the organization to voice a dissenting opinion, the end result is the workers affected by this decision have there lives turned upside down. I have seen management scramble to clean up operations centre, spending tens of thousands of dollars to impress the local councillors on there visit during public works day. Council is being hoodwinked by the current management team, too much waste and stupid new initiatives that do nothing but pump up managements ego. One more thing, if management doesn't like you, they will find a way to get rid of you. I have seen this done too many times to some very talented employees.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
Wonderful learning and supportive enviroment.
Traffic Technician (Former Employee) –  EastGwillimbury20 July 2016
The team I worked with during my Co-op was dedicated to providing excellent services to the residence of York Region.
My day included maintaining the communication devices for all intersections around York Region while providing support to the team.
Great work environment
Traffic Technician (co-op) (Former Employee) –  East Gwillimbury, ON28 June 2016
It was an exceptional working experience and I enjoyed the team atmosphere. The work was challenged, provided great opportunities to learn and had a great deal of daily variety in tasks.
fun and supportive work place
Early intervention services (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON10 April 2016
I have worked there for 10 years, salary and benefits are good. Enjoy the job, training opportunities and challenges I can apply for to further develop my skills.
great working relationships
Transit Operator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 February 2016
great co-workers and excellent environmnet....monthly bbq to reminesce....yearly golf tournament...

learned respect towards cliental

management has open door policy

being aware of our surrounding at all times
Excellent salary and benefits package
Programs & Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Maple, Ontario16 September 2014
Large employer with excellent salary and benefits package.
Good work environment with a great group of people
Transportation Technologist/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON5 June 2014
Learned many transportation study methods to help with future designs. Great group of people who were always available when I had questions or needed help. Gave me experience working in the public sector environment and dealing with public inquiries. Given overtime hours in order to perform traffic studies.
Awesome Place to Work!
Summer Forestry Student (Former Employee) –  East Gwillimbury, ON26 January 2014
Everyday was well organized and everyone was well prepared. Management and co-workers all had great relationships and made for a very comfortable work place.
Great Benefits
Tobacco Education and Control Officer (Former Employee) –  York Region11 July 2013
Excellent benefits and salary, not much room for advancement.

Typical day started in office for 1 hour then out in the field for the remainder of the day, interacting with the public.
Little management required, a lot of independence to complete your tasks and assignments.
Co-workers were excellent.
Top 100 employers in province.

Pros
Freedom to set your own day's assignments
Cons
little to no advancement