YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Interactive, positive, insightful and occasionally challenging and demanding
Educational Assistant/Child & Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  York Region23 August 2017
The job comprises of experiences that enables me to learn about different things and from different angles. I work across schools with the school board and i am exposed to experiences that fluctuate. I can have a positive, interactive, insightful and/or challenging and demanding experience(s)
Pros
Working with children and youths and learning from their strengths, endurance, and challenges etc
Cons
No freedom to choose desired grade
Productive and fun workplace
Junior Counselor, Summer Institute (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON17 August 2017
Working with the York Region District School Board was an amazing first job experience because the campers and other counselors made it fun. I would recommend this job to everyone because it is an amazing opportunity.
Good Summer Job
Junior Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON28 July 2017
Summer job as junior counselor was fun and I learned a lot about working with people.
This was a good summer job and I spent lots of time outside with kids
great place to work
Supply Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 July 2017
I love this job. it has always been my dream to work in the school board. I get to meet many different children and go to many different schools. I assist the teacher in any tasks that they ask me to do.
Pros
meet new people. its my passion
Cons
because its supply work, not steady enough.
Excellent Collegiality and Support
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON8 July 2017
I love working for the YRDSB.

The job is to help bring our next generation to a place where they can find meaningful lives within their country and to make an impact globally. It's a huge responsibility and a privilege to be a part of it.

Each person is important, and we work together as a team. Support staff, admin and teachers all encourage and support one another.

Going into a new school where the environment is unfamiliar can be challenging at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of an 'aha' moment with a student, when a concept finally makes sense to them or they master a skill they've been working so hard on.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No school in the summer
Volunteer work
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON5 July 2017
I enjoy helping out and volunteering during and after school hours. I truly love helping out in public environments. It is a great way to socialize with out while having a good time.
incredible staff and employees
HVAC/R Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 June 2017
This was a great organization and for the time I was employed by them I had no complaints or problems. I would recommend this company to any technician seeking employment.
Job security is ok. Silent Discrimination.
-na (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 June 2017
If you don't have an insider you wont get a permanent job. If you will notice most of them are relatives or family members of a manager or an existing employees.. The chance of getting a permanent job if you don't know anybody inside is close to none. I hope the board can address that issue when it comes to job opportunity equality.
school board
School Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sutton, ON30 May 2017
working here was alright. No direction with what to do and when.
Nobody to really answer to besides people in office.
Kids were so cute but there is a lot of classrooms that need an extra staff member to keep them all on track. unfair to the kids.
Pros
kids
Cons
no advancement
excellent place to work for
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ontario25 March 2017
I absolutely love working here; the people are nice; staff are friendly; professional; salary is good; excellent benefits; opportunity to move up; would recommend this place to anyone
Pros
all
Cons
Great for people with children
Educational Assistant/ Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 February 2017
Benefits- Daytime job
Hardest Part- Not knowing where you will be working each school year
Causal workers- not know when you will be working each day and waiting for a phone call every day at 6 am
Enjoyable part- The children
Excellent workplace
Designated Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON22 January 2017
good work place, just hard to advance/find full time work. Great hours and benefits. Management easily approachable.
Steady work
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  York Region, ON28 September 2016
Great work environment, but it isn't easy to acquire a fulltime position. I worked on call, as a casual educational Assistant. I would be called the night before or the morning of for an assignment.
In this job, I learned so much about behavioural needs in the classroom setting. I hope to continue this kind of work either in a work setting or in a volunteer role.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, On15 August 2016
My teaching experiences with the YRDSB have been nothing but fantastic - I have had the opportunity to continue pursuing my teaching career and have made friends with new teachers and students. Also, it has allowed me to continue developing my Spanish language skills, which is of great interest as I lived in Spain as a teenager.
safe work place
Emergency Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON14 August 2016
inclusive work
knowledgeable staff across the board
equal pay for respective job
accommodating
great benefits
demanding
I was a very happy employee
Fun and a very productive place to work, with advancement to grow
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 July 2016
Happy to have a job, daily routines at my job are to clean, sweep, check meter levels. I enjoy my job with my team and co-workers.
Steady Job
Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON17 June 2016
Love my job and work! I feel so fortunate to have steady and reliable work. I love that my job has benefits and being involved with the union means great job security. All the staff and students I have encountered are friendly and well mannered. A great place to work!
Pros
summer off!
Cons
Short hours
Great board to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON6 May 2016
I was placed in a very nice primary school for a 6 month contract. The students and staff were great. It was a great experience!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not enough time for planning
A conservative employer where the milk rises to the top
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON17 March 2016
The York Region District School Board is considered one of the most responsible boards in the Ontario family of school boards. Its policies are fair and equitable but the administration of those policies are not always so.
Pros
Good pay and good working conditions (hopefully)
Cons
Poor leadership usually and constant fear of reprisal and discipline (chirping)
Supportive learning and work environment
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill19 October 2015
I have grown as a clinician in this setting, and worked with many members of the interprofessional team (e.g. psychologists, social workers, teachers, parents, etc.).