YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

YORK REGION DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Steady Job
Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON17 June 2016
Love my job and work! I feel so fortunate to have steady and reliable work. I love that my job has benefits and being involved with the union means great job security. All the staff and students I have encountered are friendly and well mannered. A great place to work!
Pros
summer off!
Cons
Short hours
Productive and Fun Workplace
Spanish Teacher (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, On15 August 2016
My teaching experiences with the YRDSB have been nothing but fantastic - I have had the opportunity to continue pursuing my teaching career and have made friends with new teachers and students. Also, it has allowed me to continue developing my Spanish language skills, which is of great interest as I lived in Spain as a teenager.
safe work place
Emergency Supply Teacher (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON14 August 2016
inclusive work
knowledgeable staff across the board
equal pay for respective job
accommodating
great benefits
demanding
I was a very happy employee
Great board to work for
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON6 May 2016
I was placed in a very nice primary school for a 6 month contract. The students and staff were great. It was a great experience!
Pros
great benefits
Cons
not enough time for planning
Fun and a very productive place to work, with advancement to grow
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON13 July 2016
Happy to have a job, daily routines at my job are to clean, sweep, check meter levels. I enjoy my job with my team and co-workers.
A conservative employer where the milk rises to the top
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON17 March 2016
The York Region District School Board is considered one of the most responsible boards in the Ontario family of school boards. Its policies are fair and equitable but the administration of those policies are not always so.
Pros
Good pay and good working conditions (hopefully)
Cons
Poor leadership usually and constant fear of reprisal and discipline (chirping)
I love to support students academically, socially and behaviourally. The staff and management work together to promote learning and personal growth.
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Keswick, Ontario6 August 2015
I work in a community class that - this coming year - will be supporting students in grades 1 - 4. All students have
developmental delays as well as behavioral issues. No two students are at the same learning level. It is very busy and quite a challenge to provide each student with just what they need at any given time.
My co-workers and I work well together and all follow the protocols that we have in place. We put our heads together constantly to come up with more effective strategies. The students are very
impulsive and we are continuously trying to stay a few steps ahead of them. I enjoy my work very much.
Pros
Love supporting students who face developmental, behavioural and academic challenges.
Cons
Getting laid off in the summer
Technology Support Technician
Training & Technology Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ON29 September 2015
Job is really entry level position. Difficult to move up. They set you up for failure most of the time. A lot of red tape. No education provided, it up to you to advance within the board.
Pros
learn how the school system works
Cons
dull and boring.
Supportive learning and work environment
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill19 October 2015
I have grown as a clinician in this setting, and worked with many members of the interprofessional team (e.g. psychologists, social workers, teachers, parents, etc.).
It is a positive learning environment
Teachers Assistant (Current Employee) –  Maple, ON13 June 2015
Report to work, assist students upon morning entry to school. Then assist implementing the required curriculum, by organizing materials, helping students with any difficulties they may have including all subject and social conflicts. Also attend debriefing meetings aat the end of each day and staff meeting during the school year. I attend various workshops and assist with light duties in the office.
Pros
self gradification
Cons
more support staff are needed
Small public high school with a uniform
Communications Technology Teacher (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON2 February 2015
Very community-oriented school with a lot of camaraderie between colleagues. Diverse student body with a lot of school spirit.
Pros
Pleasant environment, good benefits and great vacation time.
Cons
Behavioural issues with students.
A busy, productive, work environment...linking learning, creativity, and a caring, committed atmosphere.
Grade 2 Teacher (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON9 December 2013
High energy workplace, with constant goals being set...Learning to give, share, provide for, but also to borrow, and giving the benefit of the doubt. A fair, equitable workplace environment, which allows me to enjoy all aspects of human development, growing and learning...as I continue to learn from others, especially my students.
Pros
somewhat flexible work hours...complete my planning, marking at times chosen by me...
Cons
Behavioural students...somewhat feellings of isolation in the classroom all day long...
Great place to work. Hard to leave.
Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stouffville, ON18 October 2014
I love the job. It is hard to move on, but I am tremendously overqualified for the position I am in and the chances of me moving up are nearly non-existent. I need to move on for the sake of myself and my family.

Helping kids to be their best is tremendously rewarding. There is however a ton of red tape that needs be delt with. No freedom when it comes to vacation and no pay in July/August.
Focus on learning and development
School Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON20 July 2012
Productive environment, especially when taking initiatives to learn and take on tasks out of my comfort zone. The corporate level allowed me to take on several assignments where I was able to support senior staff and challenge myself. In a supervisory role, I thoroughly enjoy leading by sharing my knowledge and helping others to learn. I think the most difficult part of the roles was being able to assess personalities, especially where power struggles come into play and learn to navigate through them. It is important to win people over and build strong relations and in an organization/department with several individual mindsets, that can be a pipe dream but not impossible.
Pros
opportunities to learn, courses/workshops offered by the organization or outside of it. education is very important. also, team building so that people can get to know each other and feel comfortable with each other.
Cons
overcoming personality conflict and power struggles. at the school board, one concept that resonates with me is the ruv concept - respect, understand and value - and it is disheartening when people, especially leaders, don't exemplify this.
Great experience helping students learn
Tutors in The Classroom (Former Employee) –  Keswick, Ontario24 June 2013
On a typical day, I would help students in math and language. When they were stuck on a problem or needed an explication or extras assistance I would explain the information and help guide them through their assignment. I helped the students who were identified with special needs more than the other students. I was also a scribe during EQAO.

It was a 6 week position.
Government Sector work with many onging projects of various sizes
Internal Architectural Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 November 2012
Wide variety of work. Lots of travel and interactions with end-users.
Pros
no overtime work required. fixed hours.
Cons
low upward mobility due to unionized positions
Valuable and Satisfying Role
Tutor and Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON5 June 2013
Tutoring students in various subjects proved to be a valuable and enjoyable experience

I learned new methods of introducing important concepts in different ways in order to adhere to student's individual needs
Pros
Valuable expereience
Cons
Time consuming
Love working with teachers at multiple sites @ YRDSB
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON4 April 2014
Love working with teachers at multiple sites
@ YRDSB. We have a chance to discuss all the issues and what can be done to improve the process or discipline.
Very enjoyable work.
Supply teacher (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Aurora, Keswick, On16 January 2013
Enjoyed working with children. I learned a lot about how to handle people from all walks of life.
Great kids and coworkers
Child & Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Various Locations20 October 2013
Great environment helping children of all needs and diversity.

4.3