YMCA Employee Reviews

Good introductory position
Program Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON18 January 2017
Really fulling part-time job for anyone who loves to positively impact the lives of children. I was able to managed the requirements of the position while going to school full-time.
Productive and fun workplace
Educational assistant in the school age classrooms (Current Employee) –  Bolton, ON16 January 2017
I enjoy working there however, I am just looking for something more permanent in my field as a Child and Youth Worker and with a pay increase.
Such a welcoming place to work!
Daycare Worker (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON16 January 2017
The YMCA is a great place to work! Seeing all the smiling faces that are there to greet you every day as you enter make coming into the building such a wonderful experience. So proud to be a part of such an amazing team!
Pay is not equal/poor benefits
Housing Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2017
Consistent turn over rate. Very low hourly wage for overnight.

This is not a very challenging position if you are just getting started in the field.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Day staff payed more then night staff/wage is non negotiable
fun work place that takes great responsability
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
In YMCA I voulunteer in the gym, usualy i afternoon hours, I help the players of each game playing feel confortable during the game or matches, I check their game and see if everything is going smoothly. I hepl the staff of the gym orgsnized everything and become in charge of the gym if he is not there
Fun work place.
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 January 2017
Working with children is always the best, each day is different. Kids are great to work with always creative. Going on field trips with them is the best part.
Pros
Field trips
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
Ymca
Youth Quest (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 January 2017
Great opportunity working with the YMCA in their youth quest program in Ontario. I have now moved to Quebec but I have gained many valuable transferable skills.
Great
Youth Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
The kids are the future! Always put a smile on your face, make you know your job is always worth it as long as you got them. The hardest part is when you have to leave, and your leaving the children of tomorrow
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Good place to learn to keep a job and how to get one
Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 January 2017
I think they did a great job teaching my class how to get and keep a job, they got us our whmis 2015 new resumes how to right a cover letter and helped with interview skills
Pros
Get paid to learn
Cons
Some days are boring
great learning ground, fast paced, high expectations, friendly and welcoming,
Membership Sales and Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
While I have worked for this company for more than a decade, I have felt the negative far outweigh the positive. If you wish to work for the YMCA, it is a great stepping ground for college aged workers, but don't expect to get your breaks, or get paid for any over-time. while the company works to avoid anyone working overtime, if it happens, rules are bent.

Charities have more lenient working standards, meaning the minimum shift is 2 hours, and a break is not a right until after 5 hours. while the staff are nice, everyone is stressed out due to understaffing due to budget constraints.
Pros
free membership for staff
Cons
lack of breaks, understaffed
relaxed and comforting enviroment
Program Leader (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 January 2017
Working with youth and the community feels good and allows you to better yourself personally. it might not always be fun but you enjoy working with your co-workers.
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
cliquey
Summer Youth Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I found this to be a very clique group. Essentially the people in charge of hiring hired friends and delegated the most desirable roles out to their friends.
On a positive note it was rewarding knowing that you made summer camp a fun memorable experience.
Counsellor
Sunship Earth Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON20 December 2016
Worked with the YMCA in Halliburton teaching kids to live outdoors. it was an amazing learning opportunity and would recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure
Fun Children
Volunteer Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2016
Lots of games to play with children. Watched lots of movies. Made many crafts. Co-workers were very funny and fun to work with.
school setting for daycare
Eca (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON19 December 2016
My day involved setting up my program for the children. Ensuring the children were safe. Passing on messages to parents and staff. The hardest part of this job was setting up the program after school.
Pros
great setting
Cons
split shift
Fun place but very tough work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint-Sauveur, QC16 December 2016
The day starts off in many different ways. It could be calm and regular with the bell just like everybody else, or it could be by the sounds of your campers screaming in the early hours of the morning. You never really know what will happen. The job itself is very fun and very rewarding. It can be tough since the hours are long and it requires a lot of creativity but it is all worth it in the end. Seeing the kids smile because of an activity you thought up or because of a joke you made will make your heart melt.
Productive, fun and friendly
ECA (Current Employee) –  20 grovesnor , Toronto ON12 December 2016
I enjoy working with children. I have been involved with the YMCA for quite sometime and have learned a lot from working with children and fellow staff members.
Workplace that cares a lot about their clients
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON11 December 2016
Amazing Place to work. Good management, I really enjoy my work there. I gained a lot of experience working with children from the ages of 2-12, it really helped my education.
Great environment to work in !
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2016
The aquatics department at the YMCA at Bayview and Sheppard is a great location to work with numerous classes and great opportunities to make money overall.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Aquatic Staff always called in sick and management would call for coverage everyday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval