YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

Great opportunities for in house training
Member/Resident Services (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 31, 2015
I have learned a lot about people of all different backgrounds and social situations while greeting members, working with wonderful coworkers and helping people in achieving their health and fitness goals.
The YMCA provides a great environment for learning and trying new things. Over the years I have been able to train to become a swimming instructor, a lifeguard and a standard first aid instructor. By working in multiple departments I have been able to learn more about customer service, learn how to take an inquiry to the end, if I don't know the answer I know where to go to get it and leave customers feeling that their needs were met before they leave. I have also learned a lot about active listening. Learning about what a person's interests are and how to tailor services to their needs.
A feel great, philanthropic ,community-centric based organization
Supervisor for Child, Youth, Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Great training and support for management but not much room for vertical movement in the organization.
If you like to make a difference in your community and enjoy the benefits of a social atmosphere, this is a good place to be.
Pros
staff memberships, pension plan and benefits for full time employees
Cons
potential long work days and does not pay market value for work
YMCA review
Supply ECE Staff (Current Employee) –  HamiltonNovember 9, 2015
I love working with the YMCA, the environment is so welcoming, supportive, encouraging, the staff are amazing we bring different perspectives to the classroom which is amazing. There are many events that you can be involved in, if you have to take time off for any personal reason, they are flexible.
Fun Family facility
life guard/ instructor (Current Employee) –  winnipeg MBAugust 25, 2015
The Ymca Is a great place to work out and take your kids and have fun!

working there:
a lot of drama however the people are great and they make the job great everyone is easy to get along with and they're lots of fun.

I've learned a lot more in the time I have been a life guard about emergencies and how a simple mistake can turn into a huge problem.

most enjoyable part of the job are the people that come there theyre amazing and fun and the kids that you teach are amazing there so funny and awesome its a great place for a first job.
Pros
great team!
Cons
half hour break
Fun Place
Housing Supervisor Downtown (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 13, 2015
Down Town YMCA is a fun and rewarding place to work. The talk and the staff care about their job. The hardest part of the job is seeing residents trying to find stable living and failing.
Fun workplace
Counsellor in Training (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, OntarioApril 13, 2014
- Organized canoe trips and day plans for campers using training and skills taught by professionals – took classes daily on organization and responsibility skills

- Provided one-on-one emotional support and collaborated with other staff members throughout the day. Took care of 10 + each week and was taught how to support children and others needs

- Listened and communicated effectively in the workplace. Used listening skills to interact with other staff members during the day and communicate with others effectively.

- Developed survival and endurance skills throughout
Pros
interacting with children
Cons
volunteer, no salary
Educational and Energetic Work Environment
School age Childcare Worker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONAugust 7, 2015
Working for the school aged program was educational in the sense that I learned different ways in which to better care for children than before my employment. I really enjoyed watching the children grow and improve under our care. Not only did I establish a great relationship with the children but the parents as well, which to me was just as important. A tough part of my position at the YMCA was sometimes feeling understaffed at certain schools I worked at.
Pros
The relationships I made with the children and parents.
Cons
Sometimes feeling overwhelmed or understaffed.
Fun
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONNovember 27, 2015
I enjoyed my work with the YMca. They gave me a free gym membership and taught me many transferable skills. I was able to plan a lot of my childcare programming and work both on an individual basis and with a team.
Very Accepting
Instructor/Guard/ Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee) –  London OntarioJuly 30, 2015
The YMCA was my home for 4 years. It was truly the most perfect place to work my first job.

A typical day at work involved teaching people young and old the basics of swimming. People of all ethnicity and religions.

Each day I was able to speak to patrons and learn so much about them. I was able to become close with so many wonderful people. It was so perfectly amazing, and I was so incredibly happy to be able to communicate with people on a daily basis.

I could not have asked for more fantastic co-workers while I worked at the YMCA. They truly became my family, every single one of them. I could go to them for help and advice. My senior co-workers helped me to progress and further advance myself in the workplace. They helped me to get over many bumps I had along the way, and to better myself as an employee.

The first 2 years management was fantastic. If i ever had a problem, my manager was right there to help me through it. With no judgement, only support.

But sadly management changed, and the support system became very strained. The support seemed to no longer be there. I started feeling judged and ridiculed if I ever came to anybody with a problem or a suggestion.

In the end, the management was my reason for resigning my position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing members progress with their swimming/ fitness skills. Having people thank me for changing their lives for the better and helping them become healthier in their lives. Was so incredibly rewarding.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hours, pool deck heat
Friendly and fun work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I really enjoyed volunteering here because it was a very family oriented place. This encouraged us to reach out to members and try to converse and make long lasting connections. This isn't a typical front desk job that only requires some administration skills, it requires also social skills that are important to make members feel welcome. Which made the experience itself more enjoyable. That is why i volunteered there for many years.
hardest part of the job
Part-time Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Keeping individuals on a schedule and making them understand the importance of lifestyle balance. Keeping up with nutrition information to help assist clients, there is a lot of information and can get complicated so trying to make it easy for everyday individuals becomes a challenge.
Pros
Helping 1 client succeed
Cons
seeing peoples lack of motivation
Personal trainer/Wellness coach
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  SarniaOctober 19, 2015
Doing this job has been very rewarding and self satisfying, working with people who want to change their lifestyle and habits. It's a great feeling being a big impact in someones life in a positive way.
Productive and fun place with many activities to do.
Eva Rothwell Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 13, 2015
It is a great environment to be in and is based on great intentions on helping the community. The place is very clean and it is just an amazing atmosphere.
Enjoyable working environment
Supervisor, Child and Youth Leadership (Current Employee) –  Innisfil, ONOctober 14, 2015
Enjoyable working environments with a large number of volunteerism. A lot of politics, but as a growing association this is to be expected.
Pros
Free memberships
Fun environment loving community
1-to-1 Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 9, 2015
I was responsible for integrating a child with disabilities into a group of children without disablities into a sportive and interactive environment. I leaned to be more patient and appreciative of life and opportunities. my co-workers all were dedicated fun and active all on board to meet the needs of the camp goals. The hardest part of my was sometimes integrating the children into groups because they didn't want to be bothered at times. The fun part of my job was just being in the fun environment and interacting with the children
An environment to open up and be yourself!
Child and Youth (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONJuly 13, 2015
Working for the YMCA wasn't always considered a "job" until I started lifeguarding. Before lifeguarding I was apart of the Child & Youth Programs team where I was constantly entering my childish side where I got to be playful with the kids while providing them with a responsible role model. I could not consider it a job because I loved it so much. Now that I lifeguard my job seems more serious with people's lives in my hands as I constantly must remain focused and attentive to patrons in the swimming pool and on deck. This goes to say that I work with an incredible team and being apart of team is such a welcoming feeling. I love the YMCA, and I love working for a non-profit organization!
The YMCA
Cycle Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ONOctober 21, 2015
Working for the YMCA is excellent way to get involved with the community. The best thing about the job is the various people you will meet on the job including the parents and children and other various members.
Pros
Working with amazing people
Cons
Low pay due to non profitable organization.
Productive team
Child Minder (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ONNovember 17, 2015
Excellent work environment. Friendly and sociable employees. Loved meeting new families and children. Felt very secure and safe at work at all times
Pros
Free gym access
Cons
short shifts
awesome job
Weight Spotter (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCNovember 24, 2015
worked with awesome people love helping everyone that needed help had a great time i miss this job loved the people i was working with .....
An enjoyable and fun workplace where every shift is amazing.
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Wasaga BeachJune 30, 2015
I love working with the children and other staff at the Wasaga Beach YMCA. The staff and volunteers are amazing and every night runs smoothly because of everyone's hard work. On a typical night I run sports such as soccer, basketball, etc. I also occasionally run art and get involved in making cool crafts with the children. There is also pre-school gym which is where we put out giant mats and toys and play with kids ages 0-5. And finally the 6-12 year old children go outside with us and we run more games such as grounders on the playground or capture the flag. I have learned a lot from my job, such as patience and leadership skills, to even improving in sports and artistic skills.
Pros
Working with children always puts a smile on my face.
Cons
Some of the children may act out and not behave.