YMCA Employee Reviews

Welcoming and family oriented
Youth and Preschool Staff (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 July 2016
Very family friendly. Staff are always welcoming, cheerful and helpful. The YMCA is a good way for families to spend time together and allow the whole family to socialize with others and make relationships.
Great Manager in Debbie Dickson and Great place to work.
Payroll & Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2016
There is always something to keep you busy. The people are great to work for and the employees are very easy to get along with.
Pros
Awesome place to work for
Cons
Paid Parking
Good Environment
Yoga Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 August 2016
People are friendly at YMCA. They are doing the renovation for the facility and parking lot. Students are willing to learn and trying hard to learn
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ON28 March 2016
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Pros
Great Staff
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 June 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
Experience? Bad
Membership Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2016
This was my first job and I hated it. WORST experience ever. Some of the co-workers treated me like bad and even though it was just for the summer, I couldn't wait to finish it.
Pros
lunch time
Cons
co-workers
Working as a camp counsellor was the best opportunity in terms of personal growth and enjoyment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Belwood lake, Fergus ON21 January 2015
This job was much more a personal growth benefit than that of any job i have had. it taught me important life skills such as time management, organization, planning, self awareness, safety, critical thinking, problem solving and active listening, all while in an extremely enjoyable environment. these traits are worth far more than the actual salary, and thus I am grateful to have had this opportunity.
Pros
Working with kids, spending entire summer with friends, always on the water
Cons
low salery, very little room for advancement outside camp
Made alot friends co-workers and members alike
Housekeeping & Facilities (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 October 2015
It was mostly cleaning but I did laundry as well. I learned to be more like myself than pretend to be somebody im not management for the most part was decent co-workers were awesome made a lot of friends the hardest part was dealing day to day issues it was never same.
Pros
hanging with the members
Cons
salary was not up to par
Nice staff and atmosphere
Information and Referral Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2016
I am a placement student here and YMCA staff is too good. I would like to work here and get more experience in such organization.
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 March 2016
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
professional and safe environment to work in
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 July 2016
I work for the before and after school with school age children. I also worked with the kindergarteners throughout the day.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
split shifts
boring
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON2 August 2016
volunteering at the YMCA was boring because none of the kids knew how to play the sports properly so the sports were never fun to play.
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK4 April 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
Fun, community involved organization
Rise and Shine Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON18 February 2016
I spend two hours every Friday in the Rise and Shine program, playing games with children, assisting them with their snacks, and helping with cleanup.
I have learned a lot about how young children think and play, and also how to tend to their needs as many do not speak English.
This is also the hardest part of the job, as it is a struggle when you cannot provide exactly what children need because they cannot articulate their thoughts. It is very rewarding on the other hand to see children learning to cooperate with one another and make friends at such a young age.
Pros
experience for my education, work connections, new friendships
Cons
difficulty understanding some kids
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ON6 April 2016
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Pros
Great community, flexible hours.
Cons
Working by yourself at times.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 April 2016
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
Pros
Free membership to YMCAs
Cons
Not enough hours available.
Exciting place, learned a lot at this company.
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON20 May 2016
Enjoyed working with the children and following instructions, and routine. Planned activities for children to followed, ensure space was organized and children had access to any materials they could have. Often had spontaneous learning opportunities.
Fun work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2016
I prepared food for children every time I attended the YMCA. Also provided a healthy and sanitized area for children to play all day long. Planned events for kids to play and enjoy at their time at the YMCA.
Non profit organization
Membership Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 June 2016
My favourite part of the day was when I was able to review applications for financial assistance and be able to help families to be able to send their children to camp at a very low cost.
Boring
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 February 2016
Not a good job. Very disrespectful management and supervisor team. The pay is horrible and there is not appreciation for the staff and all the work that they do. Seriously over worked and under paid.
Pros
Great kids and families
Cons
Horrible pay