YMCA Employee Reviews

work dont volunteer
Baby sitting (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 October 2017
I was honestly just a kid at the time (fifteen) trying to fill my summer up, but the "leaders" (sixteen plus) acted like I was the servient of royalty
Pros
alot of fun if you like kids
Cons
exhasting
Fun place to work
Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON17 October 2017
Great job to learn with good people who will teach you about employment, counselling, and best outreach strategies. There are a lot of opportunties to move around in the organization
this is a great program
Putt Mini Golf- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 October 2017
this program is one that i found was very good at making sure that people that are ready for the workplace , anyone that was will to hire people . i really enjoy this program
over all it was not fun at all
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON16 October 2017
over all it was an interesting experience the people where very nice to an extent the work was hard and ever person u worked with had and different was of doing thing and u where never kept on the same floor so ones u had gotten it down how one person liked it your moved to the next floor
productive, fun and diverse
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON15 October 2017
Working as an Early Childcare Assistant was an exciting learning experience. The staff couldn't be anymore helpful and welcoming to new staff. Above all my manager was extremely supportive and allowed flexibility with my schedule as needed. I couldn't have asked for more out of my first childcare job and I would recommend this position to anyone interested in the childcare field.
Pros
great hourly wage, amazing staff
Fun and exilerating
ECA (Former Employee) –  Palgrave, ON15 October 2017
Super welcoming and amazing staff and children. Easy to work with and made each shift fun and exciting. The children made everyday and adventure. Overall just amazing!
supportive
Daycare Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2017
Having a community to help build kids. Helping parents in any way they can. Teaching team work, and trust. Also planning fun activities for the kids, and providing lunch for them.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short on staff
productive
Child and Youth Program Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 October 2017
-good organization
-great teamwork
-enjoyable
-love working with kids
-not enough pay
-workplace is good
- management is well organized
-not enough hours
Comfortable
Program Coordinator, Housekeeper, Understudy (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON12 October 2017
Enjoyable. Keep in professional. If you are an emotional person be careful not to open up too much. Management is there to do a job and make money not friends. Working in children's programs is very rewarding, helping children succeed in their growth and development
Pros
Getting in good shape and helpong others achieve their goals physically and developmentally
Cons
Having to be superfial and not genuine
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON11 October 2017
Volunteering at the YMCA Immigration and settlement services was a great way to get involved with the community and to also build a strong relationship with management alongside the youth.
Exciting and entertaining
Full/Part time (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 October 2017
At the YMCA I encountered lots of nice educated and well established individuals. who are very welcoming and very compassionate about what they do. I would do it again.
very proactive for community and children
Child Care leader (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 October 2017
they make sure you know all of their policies and give extra training where needed. They let staff know all that is required of them up front and very plain speaking. They are great with community activities and child care services.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
must make 3 month review as they lay it out.
Great place for personal development
Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 October 2017
I had a great time learning the basics of lifeguarding; great professors and very supportive team. Definitely a place that values tolerance, acceptance and growth.
Great place to do a placement
Housing Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 October 2017
Through my time at the YMCA I was able to develop many skills as well as acquire experience in my field. While working with children I was able to exercise my managerial skills.
Active and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 October 2017
A typical day at the YMCA was occupied with a large variety of activities. Making sure the children had safe but fun things to do was very crucial at the summer camps. These children were at these camps for longer than they would've been at school, so making sure that they had food to eat and proper clothing, sunscreen, hats, etc. was something the volunteers and counsellors had to be aware of. When there is 3 times as many kids as there are workers, it can become tiring. With excellent team work and good initiative though, we were able to stay authoritative but also enjoy ourselves tremendously. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get their volunteer hours.
great place to work
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 October 2017
I Volunettered and worked at the Tong louie YMCA for quite a long time. The main reason I worked there for so long was due to the overwhelmingly awesome staff members along with the atmosphere. Everyone I worked with where amazing people who all looked out for oen another along with having an amzing work ethic. It was a place you where happy to go to . Along with being a great sorce of community builiding place outside of work. My only wish was for more hours.
Pros
Staff, Community
Cons
not many hours
Working atth ymca is fun!
Cleaner/Janitor (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON1 October 2017
Working at the YMCA is a great work environment and great people. You can laugh and still enjoy your job is the best way. The YMCA is always welcoming to whatever level you have and you don't get judged by that. Great attitude always smiles and engaging with other members.
Pros
Meeting new people
Great place to work at.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC30 September 2017
A great, positive environment to work in. Hands on with the community and allows you to make an impact. Management as well as co-wokers are friendly and a pleasure to work with.
to have fun and learn
Aquatics helper (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 September 2017
well i just volunteeered but it was all about having fun and learning how to swim. . i learned that kids can really put a scare on you by pertending to drown. but the fun part was playing silly games in the water.
Pros
was always swimming
Cons
the frights that new swimmers put you through
Great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 September 2017
Not bad, easy work. Made the experience really good by just doing the simpilist things a 14 year old can do. Looking for more jobs like these, easy to do.
Pros
Breaks
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.