YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

YMCA review
Supply ECE Staff (Current Employee) –  HamiltonNovember 9, 2015
I love working with the YMCA, the environment is so welcoming, supportive, encouraging, the staff are amazing we bring different perspectives to the classroom which is amazing. There are many events that you can be involved in, if you have to take time off for any personal reason, they are flexible.
Productive and fun place to work with kids
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 9, 2015
A typical day at work included running "ice breakers" with you campers to help them familiarize with each other and find similar interests as well as make friends. As the day proceeded, you would run active and passive games with campers to keep them entertained and active making sure to include regular water and snack and lunch breaks. At the end of the day the counsellor with ask for feedback on how each campers day was and what games and activities the campers preferred. Campers would then be handed over to parents for pickup
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Salary
Some nice Members and a few nice staff
volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 4, 2015
I was a Volunteer for a long time here. Biggest mistake of my life.
There's too much Politics, favouritism, and games for my liking.
If you want to be used, lied to, stabbed in the back, sabotaged then this is the place for you. There are too many snitches among Staff, Volunteers, and Members. Some Members and some Staff are great.
They got free labour out of me.
Pros
Some Staff are nice and some Members
Cons
Politics, favourtism, games, backstabbing, lies, bullying
Never had a bad day as a day camp leader
Day Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, MBNovember 3, 2015
Days were filled with fun as a day camp leader. while being a day camp leader i learned a lot about responsibility, leadership, and respect. Staff was wicked awesome to work with.
Positive work environment with learning opportunities daily
Aquatic Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKOctober 26, 2015
The YMCA is a social, positive place to work with opportunity to progress within. The pay is not quite on par with the amount of training, courses, and dedication required to teach swimming lessons for ages 3 to 13. The job is rewarding enough in itself to keep staff motivated without opportunity for promotion. If one enjoys working with children, ever day is a new challenge and fulfilling reward through teaching a valuable life skill to those who want to learn. It is a rich environment for bacteria and flu to spread from being in and out of the water throughout the day and being constantly cold and wet. The lesson blocks could be scheduled more effectively to fix this problem. Although the turnover of instructors and lifeguards is high it creates an opportunity to work with many different people and gain experience working with every different kind of personality.
Pros
Good work environment, emotionally rewarding
Cons
Minimum wage, not a lot of opportunity for financial growth
YMCA PROGRAM
Youth Programmer (Former Employee) –  St.CatharinesOctober 24, 2015
Decent Job, hours are minimal but the environment is very friendly between staff. Training isn't up to Par, and safety needs to be addressed more
Productive and Fun atmosphere
Finance Department (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, Nova ScotiaOctober 21, 2015
Great work atmosphere, employees and members very friendly. I learned a new accounting program
the most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere and people
The YMCA
Cycle Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Rockland, ONOctober 21, 2015
Working for the YMCA is excellent way to get involved with the community. The best thing about the job is the various people you will meet on the job including the parents and children and other various members.
Pros
Working with amazing people
Cons
Low pay due to non profitable organization.
I worked as an on call basis
Early Childhood Educator/ Supply (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 20, 2015
It was great to gain some expereince in the field of my profession. i learned lots by being able to work with all age groups with in a childcare setting.
Great opportunity to help the community.
Counsellor/Animator (Current Employee) –  montreal,QCOctober 20, 2015
Fun workplace that gives employees the opportunity to have on impact on the community.
Great teamwork, your co-workers become like family.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary
Personal trainer/Wellness coach
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  SarniaOctober 19, 2015
Doing this job has been very rewarding and self satisfying, working with people who want to change their lifestyle and habits. It's a great feeling being a big impact in someones life in a positive way.
Enjoyable work atmosphere lots of room for growing.
JUNIOR CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  scarboroughOctober 17, 2015
To get our morning started with the kids we participated in morning exercises to wake everyone up, once every leader has found their kids they then proceed to the next activity based on what type of group you have. The rest of the day was mostly interaction with the kids, building trust, whether its activities or just one on one time with a kid. I learned that its not easy to run the whole system of camp because you are responsible for the kids at all times and if ever a kid is to go missing that would be in your hands. My co-workers were very supportive showed me the ropes in order for me to succeed. My job was never hard maybe a challenge at times because I had to do a lot of running around in order to make sure the day plans went as planned. The most enjoyable part of my job was morning exerises because that's where the kids would break out of their shy shell and interact with other kids and counselors.
Pros
The staff was very friendly and welcoming
Enjoyable working environment
Supervisor, Child and Youth Leadership (Current Employee) –  Innisfil, ONOctober 14, 2015
Enjoyable working environments with a large number of volunteerism. A lot of politics, but as a growing association this is to be expected.
Pros
Free memberships
Overall Summary
Operator-Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLOctober 13, 2015
The YMCA/YWCA was a great place to work, sadly only 4 hours a day were available, which is just not sufficient for me at this time. I loved the people I worked with, co-workers, management, the kids and the parents.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No Hours
Amazing workplace
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONOctober 13, 2015
A very fun place to work with amazing individuals that make you feel loved and welcome. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know each and every child you come across in your centre.
Good experience
Community Outreach Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 7, 2015
The YMCA is a great place to meet dedicated people that value their work and impact in the community. Their international partnerships and collaborations are what sets them apart from other non for profits.
leading youths of same age was challenging and i loved facing it.
Girls Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader,October 5, 2015
fabulous people with great environment. each day i got to learned more and more from Co-workers and youths from different place, there culture and activeness inspired me always.
Pros
Yes because it was a program for new comers so we believe to feel them as home.
Cons
6 hours in a day
great company
Site Supervisor - Before and After School Care (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONOctober 1, 2015
The department I worked for was less than friendly. I really did enjoy the work that I did but I found the department of girls very close knit and closed off to new comers
Made alot friends co-workers and members alike
Housekeeping & Facilities (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 1, 2015
It was mostly cleaning but I did laundry as well. I learned to be more like myself than pretend to be somebody im not management for the most part was decent co-workers were awesome made a lot of friends the hardest part was dealing day to day issues it was never same.
Pros
hanging with the members
Cons
salary was not up to par
nice work place
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 28, 2015
it is nice woke place. really good opportunities to start your career if you want to work for non-profit organization. the payment is not very high and benefit is so so. However co-workers are very nice and friendly.