YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

A great place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONApril 10, 2016
i would rate the YMCA of Peterborough a 5/5 to work, the staff are easy and willing to cover all shifts if you need and getting hours is no problem at all!
Pros
great pay, good hours
Cons
scheduling issues
Requires the ability to work in teams in a dynamic setting
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCMarch 6, 2016
The YMCA is not a high stress environment. The work conducted my require efficiency and organization, but as long as all tasks are conducted in a timely manner, the scheduling is not too overwhelming.
Most rewarding job I've ever had.
Child Day Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 9, 2016
As I stated in my summary, working for the YMCA was very rewarding, in the sense that I was able to work with such an amazing group of children, meet incredible parents, while working with extremely hard-working and intelligent co-workers.
Pros
Educational, loving, and diverse environment.
Cons
No cons.
Productive well run with a great job atmosphere!
Camp Councilor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 11, 2016
Learned a great deal of communication and teamwork skills. Great positive energy from other co-workers. Safe and organized management.
Fun atmosphere
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONApril 29, 2016
Great boss. Great coworkers. Great environment. Recent strides to bring up wages and benefits gets a thumbs up from me.
Great development opportunities
Supervisor/Education/Community Programmer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONFebruary 3, 2016
I learned a lot throughout my time at the YMCA. The provided great training and development programs, and ensured you were ready for your position. The various training sessions, development sessions and encouragement by managers and coaches was fantastic.
Well balnced and a fun wotk place to work
Assisting Toddlers Class (Current Employee) –  YMCA Point Claire, QCMarch 18, 2016
Well balanced and a fun workplace to work with kids and co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see kids how much they love yoga.
Pros
Free membership
friendly co-workers, productive working environment
School age child care supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 28, 2016
the enjoyable part of the job is the children and the friendly co-workers, good curriculum to work with. the spilt shift can be a bit tiring but once your used to it its fine.
childcare
Daycare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 12, 2016
Spending your day with kids having a lot of fun..programs are great ...my child grew up as a Y child. Co-workers become family .
Pros
fun days and programs
Cons
staff paying fullprice for programs and childcare
Long hours, good benefits.
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 27, 2015
I enjoy working with the children and families I have had the privilege of working with. Work/Life balance is not easily obtained. Benefits and vacation/sick time very generous.
leading youths of same age was challenging and i loved facing it.
Girls Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader,October 5, 2015
fabulous people with great environment. each day i got to learned more and more from Co-workers and youths from different place, there culture and activeness inspired me always.
Pros
Yes because it was a program for new comers so we believe to feel them as home.
Cons
6 hours in a day
fun, fast pace
YMCA youth leader (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Working at the YMCA is very hectic. Although with so many kids, you have to problem solve quickly and deal with many situations at once. However, the fast pace also helps it become a fun environment with a new experience every day.
Pros
fun, variety of personalities in children
Cons
short hours
Enjoyable work atmosphere lots of room for growing.
JUNIOR CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee) –  scarboroughOctober 17, 2015
To get our morning started with the kids we participated in morning exercises to wake everyone up, once every leader has found their kids they then proceed to the next activity based on what type of group you have. The rest of the day was mostly interaction with the kids, building trust, whether its activities or just one on one time with a kid. I learned that its not easy to run the whole system of camp because you are responsible for the kids at all times and if ever a kid is to go missing that would be in your hands. My co-workers were very supportive showed me the ropes in order for me to succeed. My job was never hard maybe a challenge at times because I had to do a lot of running around in order to make sure the day plans went as planned. The most enjoyable part of my job was morning exerises because that's where the kids would break out of their shy shell and interact with other kids and counselors.
Pros
The staff was very friendly and welcoming
Great opportunity to help the community.
Counsellor/Animator (Current Employee) –  montreal,QCOctober 20, 2015
Fun workplace that gives employees the opportunity to have on impact on the community.
Great teamwork, your co-workers become like family.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary
Overall Summary
Operator-Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLOctober 13, 2015
The YMCA/YWCA was a great place to work, sadly only 4 hours a day were available, which is just not sufficient for me at this time. I loved the people I worked with, co-workers, management, the kids and the parents.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No Hours
Ymca
Trees Planting Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 21, 2016
This is actually a volunteering for the teenages. Its very good that we really get closed to the environment and do something to help the both the city and citizens to creat a nice urban space
A dynamic, upbeat, yet friendly workplace.
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CASeptember 7, 2015
YMCA is a non-profit organization and as such resources are limited. However, it's incredible management team and dedicated staff make the most out of these resources. Working at this company taught me efficient use of resources, management and vastly improved my interpersonal skills.
Pros
Incredible management team
Cons
unpredictable work hours
Very Accepting
Instructor/Guard/ Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee) –  London OntarioJuly 30, 2015
The YMCA was my home for 4 years. It was truly the most perfect place to work my first job.

A typical day at work involved teaching people young and old the basics of swimming. People of all ethnicity and religions.

Each day I was able to speak to patrons and learn so much about them. I was able to become close with so many wonderful people. It was so perfectly amazing, and I was so incredibly happy to be able to communicate with people on a daily basis.

I could not have asked for more fantastic co-workers while I worked at the YMCA. They truly became my family, every single one of them. I could go to them for help and advice. My senior co-workers helped me to progress and further advance myself in the workplace. They helped me to get over many bumps I had along the way, and to better myself as an employee.

The first 2 years management was fantastic. If i ever had a problem, my manager was right there to help me through it. With no judgement, only support.

But sadly management changed, and the support system became very strained. The support seemed to no longer be there. I started feeling judged and ridiculed if I ever came to anybody with a problem or a suggestion.

In the end, the management was my reason for resigning my position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing members progress with their swimming/ fitness skills. Having people thank me for changing their lives for the better and helping them become healthier in their lives. Was so incredibly rewarding.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hours, pool deck heat
Fun and Games
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONFebruary 7, 2016
The staff at The YMCA of Kingston are some of the best people you will ever meet! They are very knowledgeable and helpful.
nice work place
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 28, 2015
it is nice woke place. really good opportunities to start your career if you want to work for non-profit organization. the payment is not very high and benefit is so so. However co-workers are very nice and friendly.