YMCA Employee Reviews

Worked with a huge range of patrons.
Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor / Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB3 June 2017
Here I discovered how much I like to work with large groups of people. I learned a lot about teaching and sharing my skills with others. This experience was fun and challenging.
Cool
YMCA Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB30 May 2017
I'm very blessed to be employed here. This is a great organization that aims to exceed their clients/customers expectations but they also look to take care of their employees as well. They are one of the remaining companies to offer incentives to their employees. Longevity is one of the things I admire about them.
excellent place to work
Program Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON29 May 2017
Fun and welcoming environment, I enjoyed working with the kids and being able to program plan according to their interests. I learned a lot about working with behavioural children and got to experience working on on one with a couple of children who experienced behavioural issues. The management was awesome. I always felt welcome and happy when I worked. It was such a great experience and I would def work for them again in the future when my contract in my current job ends.
Day Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 May 2017
I was a summer day camp leader, working with kids age 5-12. I helped plan activities for groups of around 30 children both in the YMCA and outings to various locations around Medicine Hat.
The work was good, the work environment, not so much
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2017
Although I enjoyed working ( teaching swimming lessons) I was not very happy with my management. They were very demanding, and always changing the work policies to the point where I, and many other employees, could not keep up. any of the executive decisions my managers made were to please the higher ups, even if it mean they were pointless decisions and at the expense of the teachers and lifeguards. The worst part was when I asked if my manager could help me transfer to another branch( because I was moving to another part of town), which had a job opening. She enthusiastically said yes and promises to connect with the other branch. She did not, and after two weeks I realised I she did not come through for me and in the end, I was out of the job.

The YMCA has always been a wonderful place for me, but my experience in this particular work environment has spoiled it for me.
Amazing place to meet friends and learn about childcare
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 May 2017
Amazing place to learn. Most of the coworkers I had are still very close friends of mine, many of them were in my wedding party. We still keep in touch with many of the parents and they've all had a great experience with the YMCA. It's a great facility, with terrible pay, as all childcare facilities are. The women that work there are truly wonderful and so supportive. Great place.
Pros
Long Lunches, Great Staff, Understanding Management, Amazing Families
Cons
Pay is awful
Working at ymca calgary
Building Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
I use to work at YMCA saddletowne. job stable but asset managers a pilipino is no good doesnt offer career advancement even if your interested to grow for the company job wise good steaady. to president of ymca! for you to keep good employee in maintenance add people and investigate your asset managers and director managing no good save their own and leave good people hanging
Cons
poor management
Fun workplace
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 May 2017
A typical day at work would be looking after other children, ensure they where fed, and taken care of. Planning a fun and fulfilled day of activities where they where able to further learn their fine and gross motor skills.
fun
Outdoor Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2017
three years and counting - i enjoyed The YMCA which offers a range of recreation and leisure activities; from art classes to gymnastics and community events.
good place to work
Fitness Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 May 2017
i work for a really awesome manager. when life gets in the way there are no problems with getting my shift covered. everyone there is friendly and makes me happy to go to work.
Pros
friendly
Cons
not paid much
amazing work and people
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 May 2017
every co-worker was great and deeply loved their job
the children and family interactions where amazing and so fun to work with and teach.
the relationships you build here are ones that will last for years to come
Camp Wabanaki
Assistant Sailing Director (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON18 May 2017
Great experience as both a camper and staff member at Camp Wabanaki. Some of my most memorable learning experiences I have gained through camp. Camp provides the opportunity to experience a variety of different skill sets and apply them in your daily life.
Amazing
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2017
Astonishing work environment where i can say i would recommend this job experience to my family friends and neighbor at any chance i can get without a doubt.
Friendly workplace with functional day to day working enviroment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS15 May 2017
Day to day work was manageable and educational. I learned good communication skills with the public as well as how to operate different computer programs. Management was good. Hardest part of the job was dealing with members who were unhappy with something. Which is not impossible to deal with, just hard to talk them down sometimes when I was just part-time and could only satisfy them so much when they were looking for more of a manager to talk to. Best part of the job was seeing the wide range of customers we reached and made so happy with our programs and community events. I enjoyed getting to know the regulars and seeing all generations all in one building.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Lack of communication
I hate it here ...
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 May 2017
Everyone i work with is miserable. My supervisors are useless, they try to make problems go away by dealing with them quickly and quietly. I work a split shift and am told consistently by other employees that theres no advancement or its vary hard to get anything full time because they are so cheap. They make you go to all these trainings after making you work a full day, I've been told i will lose my job if i don't make the trainings.. they ask so much of you but don't give anything in return. Im miserable.
Good Place to Volunteer
VOLUNTEER "YMCA YOUTH ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR" (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 May 2017
Great place to volunteer and gather experience and leadership skills. Good supervisors and a great working environment. The space is great and the benefits are also very nice.
A ton of fun
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Parham, ON10 May 2017
The primary reason you should work here is for your future. In no way is this a job to acquire money as the pay is horrible. This job is purely for fun and you must be outgoing and enjoy the outdoors. Lots of time is required for this field.
Pros
Free food, great memories
Cons
Long hours, while summer gone.
fun energetic place to work! great experience!
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 May 2017
This is a GREAT place to work for experience and I highly reccomend this job to anyone who has just graduated from ECE or is still in college for ECE. there is a morning shift and an afternoon shift (before and after care) that works around the schedule of the school the environment is relaxed yet fast pace and the children really enjoy spending time with the workers. The hardest part of this job is also one of my favourite parts. The split shift is hard because depending on what school you work at, the hours of your day could be very short meaning ofcourse less pay. However, that break inbetween is so nice to have- you get a break from the children(refresher) - time to organize and prepare for the next shift as well as focus on personal stuff such as appointments etc. The most enjoyable part of this job is going into work every day, morning and afternoon and seeing the children smile and knowing that they are depending on us(workers) to make the rest of their day, or the begining of their day amazing! another enjoyable part of the job is the flexability. We are able to do a lot of different acitvities, indoor as well as outdoor with the children that they may not be able to do in school such as water balloon toss, tie die, etc. :)
the management at times could be better but over all its super fun!!
Pros
nice break inbetween
Cons
pay because not enough hours
Fun place
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 May 2017
It's a great place to work at. Enjoyed meeting new people, and helping them in reach their goals. There's always something to do at the front desk, it's a really good environment.
Friendly workplace but doesnt give out very weekly hours
Lifeguard and swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 May 2017
The YMCA is a fun and friendly workplace, it is a great opportunity to get involved with the community and to gain work or volunteer experience especially if it would be your first job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.