YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Energetic workplace lots of responsibiltiy
Facilitator (Beyond the bell) (Former Employee), Hamilton, SCTSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Training before and between work.
Cons: Long hours on feet, demanding and lots of responsibility.
Typical day , getting there early preparing the kids' snacks around 2:30 when they arrive around 3:00 have them wash their hands and then they have their snack. Run planned activities with them ect... , until their parents arrive around 5:00

The great part, was that i learned how to work with children and i was trained while doing so . and how to be a little more creative when i needed to come up with and plan activities. Management was pretty helpful , co-workers were all very pleasant. Hardest part(s) of the job dealing with belligerent children and planning activities.

Most enjoyable , hearing that the kids actually like you !
Tiring but worth it
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Gibsons, BCSeptember 16, 2015
Pros: Accomodation
Cons: Long hard work
24/6 care of 10 children in a cabin. Worked from ages 4 to 13 with the longest period of 2 weeks at a time for 3 groups and groups of 1 weeks as well. We have them in our care for the whole day for 6 days except for one hour each night. I worked a lot of cabins with ESL girls from Mexico, China, Japan and Israel and helped them interact with the group with team building activities. Also included a night on an out trip canoeing to a place and camping out for the night.
Worked day camp for 2 weeks having the campers in our care from 7.30am till 5pm at night.
Aside from child care I ran many activities which included archery, high ropes, rock wall, canoeing, kayaking, arts and crafts, low ropes, team building, fire building, outdoor living skills, marine beach study, sailing, paddle boarding, hiking, environment study.
Inside the Gymnasium
Gym Monitor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Pros: Always playing sports inside the gym
Cons: The cleaning up afterwards
Working at the YMCA was actually fun. You get to play with the kids in there small activities and also play fun sports. I learned that having fun is good for the mind, the body and the soul. The hardest part about the job was, when the kids didn't listen to your orders after telling them so many times. The most enjoyable part about the job was, on Friday nights the gym is opened to anyone who wants to come in and play games; sometimes the older kids would come in and play a game of 2 on 2 basketball; I use to join in and play, it was fun.
Friendly and fun work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Kelowna, BCSeptember 9, 2015
I really enjoyed volunteering here because it was a very family oriented place. This encouraged us to reach out to members and try to converse and make long lasting connections. This isn't a typical front desk job that only requires some administration skills, it requires also social skills that are important to make members feel welcome. Which made the experience itself more enjoyable. That is why i volunteered there for many years.
Fun workplace
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 7, 2015
Pros: Allowed to play sports
Cons: No breaks
I signed in and facilitated the gym when they were playing badminton. I also helped clean the gym. They were also fun co-workers.
A dynamic, upbeat, yet friendly workplace.
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee), CASeptember 7, 2015
Pros: Incredible management team
Cons: unpredictable work hours
YMCA is a non-profit organization and as such resources are limited. However, it's incredible management team and dedicated staff make the most out of these resources. Working at this company taught me efficient use of resources, management and vastly improved my interpersonal skills.
Truly incredible workplace
Career & Employment Advisor / Key Holder (Former Employee), Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 2, 2015
I have been very satisfied with the treatment I received at the YMCA. I felt like part of a family. The manager was very helpful and there was an open door policy for any concerns I faced. The staff were very team based and always stepped in to help when it was required of them.
Very good work enviornment
Day camp counselor and Program support (Former Employee), NiagaraSeptember 2, 2015
Amazing place to work, amazing staff and it was a blast working there. Got proper breaks and management was very supportive and attentive.
Its Good
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
It nice working there. but these people know how to make you work hard. learned many thing from them
management is good
coworkers are friendly
Maintenance Worker
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Orillia, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Outdated Cotteges and Building structures
Place was outdated for safety reasons all over the property! I truly believe that people and children are in danger for there safety there!
wrongful dismissal was applied to my employment there. They were very sneaky and un real to there own believes about dealing with me.Hippocrates!
Fun and exciting work place
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), BelwoodAugust 29, 2015
It was a very fun and entertaining summer Job, I would happily work for do it again, maybe next time at a different camp. As I would like to experience all the different types of camps
productive and positive environment
YMCA chil care (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 26, 2015
At the YMCA it is always a fun and positive environment in which allows one to grow within the company.Working there is always a pleasure and a typical day at work is mostly taking care of the childrens needs and discussing with parents how either the morning or afternoon went.
Fun Family facility
life guard/ instructor (Current Employee), winnipeg MBAugust 25, 2015
Pros: great team!
Cons: half hour break
The Ymca Is a great place to work out and take your kids and have fun!

working there:
a lot of drama however the people are great and they make the job great everyone is easy to get along with and they're lots of fun.

I've learned a lot more in the time I have been a life guard about emergencies and how a simple mistake can turn into a huge problem.

most enjoyable part of the job are the people that come there theyre amazing and fun and the kids that you teach are amazing there so funny and awesome its a great place for a first job.
Empathetic work environment
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee), Sarnia, ONAugust 22, 2015
I discovered I was pregnant during my time there and they ever so kindly game me a position that had more hours with consistency until my maternity leave began. I enjoyed working with children and watching them grow from infant and seeing their developments.
Fun place and great learning experience
Counselor (Former Employee), Windsor, ONAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Good workers
Cons: None
Typical day would start at 8 in the morning. We'd check in all the kids and get them settled. Then we would start with an activity like an art and crafts. After that was finished we would go to the gym or outside and play games. Then lunch would come with an hour break around 12. My day would end around usually 4-4:30
Not bad at all
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBAugust 16, 2015
The work life at the Y was very well rounded. i had ample time to get the job doe. odd times there was too much time and it was a very long day going by very slow.
Very friendly place to volunteer at , and very wheelchair accessible
Volunteer (Current Employee), Oshawa OntarioAugust 12, 2015
Pros: very friendly staff, great environment, friendly people that come in to workout.
Cons: very slow, not a lot to do, and keep busy all the tme
cleaning equipment upstairs, meet and greet, pick up towels and water bottles that were left on the floor.. I would always be willing to do anything else out of my comfort zone, I would look for other jobs to do other than what I am expected to do . I have learned to be independant, and always there with a friendly smile on my face, ,
Fun environment loving community
1-to-1 Care Worker (Former Employee), Brampton, ONAugust 9, 2015
I was responsible for integrating a child with disabilities into a group of children without disablities into a sportive and interactive environment. I leaned to be more patient and appreciative of life and opportunities. my co-workers all were dedicated fun and active all on board to meet the needs of the camp goals. The hardest part of my was sometimes integrating the children into groups because they didn't want to be bothered at times. The fun part of my job was just being in the fun environment and interacting with the children
Educational and Energetic Work Environment
School age Childcare Worker (Former Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 7, 2015
Pros: The relationships I made with the children and parents.
Cons: Sometimes feeling overwhelmed or understaffed.
Working for the school aged program was educational in the sense that I learned different ways in which to better care for children than before my employment. I really enjoyed watching the children grow and improve under our care. Not only did I establish a great relationship with the children but the parents as well, which to me was just as important. A tough part of my position at the YMCA was sometimes feeling understaffed at certain schools I worked at.
The free gym membership and programs were a bonus.
Member Services, Office Administration (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABAugust 4, 2015
It was a decent place to work. Developed quite a few friendships with both co-workers and members. The programs offered were greatly beneficial to living a healthy lifestyle.
Headquarters