YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
The YMCA
Cycle Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), Rockland, ONOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Working with amazing people
Cons: Low pay due to non profitable organization.
Working for the YMCA is excellent way to get involved with the community. The best thing about the job is the various people you will meet on the job including the parents and children and other various members.
I worked as an on call basis
Early Childhood Educator/ Supply (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 20, 2015
It was great to gain some expereince in the field of my profession. i learned lots by being able to work with all age groups with in a childcare setting.
Great opportunity to help the community.
Counsellor/Animator (Current Employee), montreal,QCOctober 20, 2015
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Salary
Fun workplace that gives employees the opportunity to have on impact on the community.
Great teamwork, your co-workers become like family.
Personal trainer/Wellness coach
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), SarniaOctober 19, 2015
Doing this job has been very rewarding and self satisfying, working with people who want to change their lifestyle and habits. It's a great feeling being a big impact in someones life in a positive way.
Enjoyable work atmosphere lots of room for growing.
JUNIOR CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee), scarboroughOctober 17, 2015
Pros: The staff was very friendly and welcoming
To get our morning started with the kids we participated in morning exercises to wake everyone up, once every leader has found their kids they then proceed to the next activity based on what type of group you have. The rest of the day was mostly interaction with the kids, building trust, whether its activities or just one on one time with a kid. I learned that its not easy to run the whole system of camp because you are responsible for the kids at all times and if ever a kid is to go missing that would be in your hands. My co-workers were very supportive showed me the ropes in order for me to succeed. My job was never hard maybe a challenge at times because I had to do a lot of running around in order to make sure the day plans went as planned. The most enjoyable part of my job was morning exerises because that's where the kids would break out of their shy shell and interact with other kids and counselors.
Enjoyable working environment
Supervisor, Child and Youth Leadership (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Free memberships
Enjoyable working environments with a large number of volunteerism. A lot of politics, but as a growing association this is to be expected.
Overall Summary
Operator-Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), St. John's, NLOctober 13, 2015
Pros: Great people
Cons: No Hours
The YMCA/YWCA was a great place to work, sadly only 4 hours a day were available, which is just not sufficient for me at this time. I loved the people I worked with, co-workers, management, the kids and the parents.
Amazing workplace
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Brantford, ONOctober 13, 2015
A very fun place to work with amazing individuals that make you feel loved and welcome. Most enjoyable part of the job is getting to know each and every child you come across in your centre.
Good experience
Community Outreach Supervisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 7, 2015
The YMCA is a great place to meet dedicated people that value their work and impact in the community. Their international partnerships and collaborations are what sets them apart from other non for profits.
leading youths of same age was challenging and i loved facing it.
Girls Group Leader (Former Employee), Leader,October 5, 2015
Pros: Yes because it was a program for new comers so we believe to feel them as home.
Cons: 6 hours in a day
fabulous people with great environment. each day i got to learned more and more from Co-workers and youths from different place, there culture and activeness inspired me always.
great company
Site Supervisor - Before and After School Care (Former Employee), Woodstock, ONOctober 1, 2015
The department I worked for was less than friendly. I really did enjoy the work that I did but I found the department of girls very close knit and closed off to new comers
Made alot friends co-workers and members alike
Housekeeping & Facilities (Former Employee), London, ONOctober 1, 2015
Pros: hanging with the members
Cons: salary was not up to par
It was mostly cleaning but I did laundry as well. I learned to be more like myself than pretend to be somebody im not management for the most part was decent co-workers were awesome made a lot of friends the hardest part was dealing day to day issues it was never same.
nice work place
Program Facilitator (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONSeptember 28, 2015
it is nice woke place. really good opportunities to start your career if you want to work for non-profit organization. the payment is not very high and benefit is so so. However co-workers are very nice and friendly.
Lots of politics to deal with!
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Pros: Great benefits package
Cons: Negative management, lots of politics and favouritism, lack of training for new staff
I worked here for a LONG time, and regret it!
If you want to deal with games and politics this is the place for you...most management need training on ppl skills
Staff are burnt out and crying out for a change but are overlooked in favour of the ppl that snitch and kiss up.
The only good thing is the great families and children you work with, some loyal and great staff and the benefits package is the best I've seen in the last 4 companies I've worked for.
hardest part of the job
Part-time Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Pros: Helping 1 client succeed
Cons: seeing peoples lack of motivation
Keeping individuals on a schedule and making them understand the importance of lifestyle balance. Keeping up with nutrition information to help assist clients, there is a lot of information and can get complicated so trying to make it easy for everyday individuals becomes a challenge.
Enjoyable Overall Workplace
Membership Consultant (Current Employee), Rockland, ONSeptember 25, 2015
I am always happy to come to work & look forward to my shifts at the YMCA. My superiors are amazing people and so are my coworkers.
Fast paced and fun environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 25, 2015
Pros: Free workout/swimming sessions
Cons: finding an allergy
Fast paced work place with supportive co-workers.
I was able to express my feelings and worries in a
respectful and timely manor with no judgement.
I feel more organized and clean. It was a fun environment
we're I could feel part of a productive team
Best Summer Job
Day Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Midland, ONSeptember 21, 2015
Working with the YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka was probably the best summer job I ever had. I enjoyed being a Camp Counsellor. I had a lot of fun with my co-workers and the campers!
Overall, it was great except for the fact that we get paid half of the min. wage ($5 an hour!)
Camp counselor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Pros: Very well known company.. friendly people/co-counselors.
Cons: Salary: is $5 an hour, we get paid less than we should, cause we work 7 hours a day 5 days a week! it's horrible
Fun place to work in. You develop a great connection with the kids even though working can be a little stressful. Friendly co-counselors and I got comfortable on my 2nd week cause on my first one i was pretty left out. I had so much fun with the kids (3-6 years of age). Worked there for 4 weeks for summer day camps..
Energetic workplace lots of responsibiltiy
Facilitator (Beyond the bell) (Former Employee), Hamilton, SCTSeptember 17, 2015
Pros: Training before and between work.
Cons: Long hours on feet, demanding and lots of responsibility.
Typical day , getting there early preparing the kids' snacks around 2:30 when they arrive around 3:00 have them wash their hands and then they have their snack. Run planned activities with them ect... , until their parents arrive around 5:00

The great part, was that i learned how to work with children and i was trained while doing so . and how to be a little more creative when i needed to come up with and plan activities. Management was pretty helpful , co-workers were all very pleasant. Hardest part(s) of the job dealing with belligerent children and planning activities.

Most enjoyable , hearing that the kids actually like you !
Headquarters