YMCA Employee Reviews

Fun work place.
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 January 2017
Working with children is always the best, each day is different. Kids are great to work with always creative. Going on field trips with them is the best part.
Pros
Field trips
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
Ymca
Youth Quest (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON10 January 2017
Great opportunity working with the YMCA in their youth quest program in Ontario. I have now moved to Quebec but I have gained many valuable transferable skills.
Great
Youth Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 January 2017
The kids are the future! Always put a smile on your face, make you know your job is always worth it as long as you got them. The hardest part is when you have to leave, and your leaving the children of tomorrow
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Good place to learn to keep a job and how to get one
Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 January 2017
I think they did a great job teaching my class how to get and keep a job, they got us our whmis 2015 new resumes how to right a cover letter and helped with interview skills
Pros
Get paid to learn
Cons
Some days are boring
great learning ground, fast paced, high expectations, friendly and welcoming,
Membership Sales and Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
While I have worked for this company for more than a decade, I have felt the negative far outweigh the positive. If you wish to work for the YMCA, it is a great stepping ground for college aged workers, but don't expect to get your breaks, or get paid for any over-time. while the company works to avoid anyone working overtime, if it happens, rules are bent.

Charities have more lenient working standards, meaning the minimum shift is 2 hours, and a break is not a right until after 5 hours. while the staff are nice, everyone is stressed out due to understaffing due to budget constraints.
Pros
free membership for staff
Cons
lack of breaks, understaffed
relaxed and comforting enviroment
Program Leader (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 January 2017
Working with youth and the community feels good and allows you to better yourself personally. it might not always be fun but you enjoy working with your co-workers.
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
cliquey
Summer Youth Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I found this to be a very clique group. Essentially the people in charge of hiring hired friends and delegated the most desirable roles out to their friends.
On a positive note it was rewarding knowing that you made summer camp a fun memorable experience.
Counsellor
Sunship Earth Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON20 December 2016
Worked with the YMCA in Halliburton teaching kids to live outdoors. it was an amazing learning opportunity and would recommend it to anyone looking for an adventure
Fun Children
Volunteer Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 December 2016
Lots of games to play with children. Watched lots of movies. Made many crafts. Co-workers were very funny and fun to work with.
school setting for daycare
Eca (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, ON19 December 2016
My day involved setting up my program for the children. Ensuring the children were safe. Passing on messages to parents and staff. The hardest part of this job was setting up the program after school.
Pros
great setting
Cons
split shift
Fun place but very tough work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint-Sauveur, QC16 December 2016
The day starts off in many different ways. It could be calm and regular with the bell just like everybody else, or it could be by the sounds of your campers screaming in the early hours of the morning. You never really know what will happen. The job itself is very fun and very rewarding. It can be tough since the hours are long and it requires a lot of creativity but it is all worth it in the end. Seeing the kids smile because of an activity you thought up or because of a joke you made will make your heart melt.
Productive, fun and friendly
ECA (Current Employee) –  20 grovesnor , Toronto ON12 December 2016
I enjoy working with children. I have been involved with the YMCA for quite sometime and have learned a lot from working with children and fellow staff members.
Workplace that cares a lot about their clients
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON11 December 2016
Amazing Place to work. Good management, I really enjoy my work there. I gained a lot of experience working with children from the ages of 2-12, it really helped my education.
Great environment to work in !
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2016
The aquatics department at the YMCA at Bayview and Sheppard is a great location to work with numerous classes and great opportunities to make money overall.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Aquatic Staff always called in sick and management would call for coverage everyday
Very welcoming workplace
Youth Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
I worked with the children and all the other instructors were incredible. I got to work on the "teacher's voice" as well as build
up much needed patience. They are also very understanding of
a student's sometimes hectic schedule.
Pros
Cons
N/A
I loved working there !!
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON8 December 2016
Till new management got hired and my hours got cut to one shift a week.

No one does anything to help you out... even emailed head office
YMCA youth connection
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 December 2016
its a very helpful program full of workshops that help you with finding work and as well as when in the workplace (teamwork,leadership,resume writing,WHMIS,health and safety testing)
Wonderful workplace for people who love children
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON5 December 2016
YMCA Wanakita is one of the biggest YMCA Camps of Canada that holds about 500 people every 2 weeks during the summer. The people that work there are very friendly, a lot of fun, outgoing and are easy to talk to about anything.
Pros
A lot of fun, great people
Cons
Full time contract for a season only
A days adventures
Assistant Beaver Leader for the 74th Beaver troop (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 December 2016
this was not a paid position but was a very fun and exciting experience each day brought a new aspect!! everything there was amazing and i enjoyed working there!
Pros
each day was something new!
Cons
wish i could pack a better lunch