YMCA Employee Reviews

Fantastic place to work
Life Guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
A typical day a work consists of phenomenal interaction with fellow employees as well as patrons. I have learned a great deal about how to stay calm in stressful situations and how to plan for the worst but expect the best. The management is fantastic and they are always available to talk to. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and the patrons that use the facility.
Nice staff and atmosphere
Information and Referral Specialist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 June 2016
I am a placement student here and YMCA staff is too good. I would like to work here and get more experience in such organization.
kitchen assistant ,supply teacher
Supply Teacher, kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON26 June 2016
I receive the lunch for the kids than prepare it for the kids send it to the rooms after they finish I do the dishes
afternoon I work supply teacher ,play with the kids give them the snack do activity with them help 3 rooms with the kids than work in the kitchen
I worked every day 6 to 7 hours
I like to work at the YMCA but I'm looking for full time now i'm part time
Pros
good benefit, respect the employee
Cons
work hard
Fun work place
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2016
I prepared food for children every time I attended the YMCA. Also provided a healthy and sanitized area for children to play all day long. Planned events for kids to play and enjoy at their time at the YMCA.
receptionist with YMCA as a volunteer
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON21 June 2016
I work with YMCA as a receptionist volunteer in 2007 , I learned Data typing so i transfer the documents from the paper into the computer , sending emails to the employers, faxing , scanning , answering on the phone and send each customer to the employer he/she need it,
my co-workers was good and helper , when i need something they dont hesitate to answer me , help me too much,,
I was happy when i did this job as a receptionist and i like that and i wish to complete with them again one day..
Cons
regular hours
dont do if your not good with kids
Day Camps Counselor-In-Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2016
i thought i liked kids before taking this job, but that changed about a week into the job. its basically a stay outside all day and be cheerful and yell at kids type of job
Non profit organization
Membership Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB19 June 2016
My favourite part of the day was when I was able to review applications for financial assistance and be able to help families to be able to send their children to camp at a very low cost.
worked on service desk
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2016
Work required a lot of setting, but it was fun meeting new people and getting involved in actives sometimes. Often I was in charge of many task at once, it would get hard during peek hours.
a supportive place to work
Day Camp Coordinator and Preschool Supivisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2016
It was a great place to work everyone was pulling together for the greater success.

It was a fun upbeat place to work and they treated staff really well. I always felt as though I was respected and supported.
Pros
getting to use all the facility's
gain experince
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 June 2016
work together as a team or independently working in the different locations around edmonton
gained experience in doing daily maintenance tasks that helped maintain the buildings equipment
Badminton,Cricket
Voiunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 June 2016
I like to play cricket, badminton sometime football,baseball. I enjoy my game whenever I play these sports. It gives me relief of my pressure.
Productive work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
Making beds and setting up dinner tables were my primary tasks as a volunteer at YMCA. Management colleagues were competent, motivational and people-oriented. Work environment was very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Tasks are often dull
Youth Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 June 2016
- Overall great experience. Every day was enjoyable.

- I've learned how to be a great supervisor of the youth, great communicating skills.

- Management was exceptional

- Nothing was necessarily hard for me

- I enjoyed everything about it
Pros
got to stay in shape
Cons
not enough hours
Funfilled and learning experience
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 June 2016
Its really playing to learn experience there., I have gained in-depth knowledge of accommodating different types of learners and incorporating effective methods to meet children's unique needs.
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 June 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
The YMCA is a very fun environment to work in.
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 June 2016
The YMCA is awesome. The staffing is great, the management is outstanding. I wish i worked there full-time instead of working for a 6 months contract. over all it's an amazing company to work for.
I love working with the children and learnt valuable life skills.
Wellness Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 June 2016
A typical day at work would consist of preparing a lesson plan for the classes I teach that day. I could also be found with a lifeguarding shift where I'm in charge of everything that happens at the pool within a given timeframe. I learned various first aid skills and how to deal and understand children more. My co-workers were all nice and we had an amazing working environment. The hardest part of the job is when children don't listen, while you are trying to perform a skill or provide the class with an explanation. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children you've previously taught, blossom into amazing swimmers and grow both physically and emotionally.
Pros
Free YMCA membership
Cons
Uncommunicative bosses
Great job
Housekeeping and pool maintenance (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL31 May 2016
I enjoyed my time at the YMCA. The work was demanding and rewarding. I felt valued and had a wonderful relation ship with my fellow employees.
Pros
Fast pace
Cons
No advancment
amazing experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 May 2016
Every one is amazing and hard working, You get to meet amazing people who share the same interests and passions as you. It is welcoming and a good atmosphere.
Team Based Work Environment
Program Coordinator -­ Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON24 May 2016
The YMCA of Niagara is a team based organization that requires all departments to work together in order to run its day to day operations.

They strive for a strong relationship with all of their members. To assist in that process they have a set of standards that all staff are required to meet.

The members were the best part of this job. Everyone is different and brings a new story to the table. I learned so many new and interesting things from the members.