YMCA Employee Reviews

Excellent experience, and community.
YMCA camp counsellor (Current Employee) –  Innisfil, ON7 April 2017
A typical day at the YMCA camp includes games, songs, sunshine and a lot of fun! From the past 2 years working here i have gained better people skills, time management skills and a major emphasis on values. The workplace is full of positivity, and all round encouragement from everyone. The hardest part of the job was communicating effectively to the campers about values in a positive and and fun way. Seeing children learn and explore themselves everyday, and knowing you impacted them was the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Exciting days, sunshine, and fun.
Cons
Long hours spent outside.
Not a professional workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2017
I started working at the YMCA and I already found myself unhappy in my job. I was very underpaid with how much training and experience I had. I was not orientated when I started, and the management was very unprofessional and did not treat the employees with respect.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Management was unprofessional, and coworkers were not welcoming
productive workplace
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 April 2017
It was really good experience to work in this centre. They promote overall development of child. They promote all different cultures in the classroom and allow children and their family members to bring their opinions in front
great environment
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Grimsby, ON4 April 2017
great place to work. downfall is that I enrolled and paid for numerous courses through YMCA but was never assigned to a position that reflected this
I had been involved with the ymca since highschool yet the manager of the Grimsby location
typical day at work for janitor
arrive, stock department shelves, stock and clean customer change rooms, clean foyer and public washrooms, clean gym equipment, repeat, 1 half hour break during shift
Pros
coworkers, work environment
Cons
felt unappreciated
staff is like family
Counselor (CIT) (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON3 April 2017
great experience, staff is like family team is excessively trained so everyone knows exactly what do do, great summer experience. many great qualities come out of experience in this field.
Cons
low wage
By far my favourite working experience.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB30 March 2017
Working here I always had a smile on my face, so many different personalities and fun adventures everyday. Learned so many new life skills working at the Y. 100% recommend working under the team leads here some of the best people you will ever meet.
Pros
Amazing working environment.
Cons
Patients will be tested. Not a position for those who lack a sense of adventure.
Great work environment
Volunteer Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BC30 March 2017
Fun, fast-paced and social work environment. Long hours with few breaks. Building relationships with campers was rewarding, emphasized time management
Caring and helpful
Ranch Helper/Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON29 March 2017
the people there are very helpful and kind and I would recommend everyone to go there if they ever need help find a good job opportunity. the people there always try to be positive.
Volunteers at YMCA
Assistant Program Supervisor - Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 March 2017
Poor management skills, a lot of improvement needed, volunteers get treated poorly, very picky supervisors. Great experience for high school students who need volunteer hours, not a place to be employed at though.
productive, friendly and fun
skills link program (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB25 March 2017
the skills link program taught me alot of things, they helped shaped me into the employee i am. they are very friendly and helpful. they care about the people that walk through their door.
Pros
learnt many skills
Environnement agérable
Bénévole (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 March 2017
Environnement chaleureux, culturel et familiale.
J'adore faire du bénévolat car je suis auprès des familles et je peux leur venir en aide si ils besoin.
Pros
Soirée ados gratuits
Cons
petit poupons doivent être membre aussi pour participer au cours avec leurs parents
cool
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
exercising is a great way to let of steam. Its cool to be around people who enjoy sports and exercising as well. Working there is fun because everyone is really nice.
Pros
free gym
Great work environment
Program Instructor/ SD of Transportation (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON20 March 2017
I very much enjoyed working at Wanakita. I was welcomed immediately into the group, everyone was so kind and helped with all the questions I had. The management was incredibly helpful and had great feedback for me moving forward.
cool place to meet people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK20 March 2017
loved working at the ymca apart from the horrible work schedule, i thought they were very unorganized with work schedule. positive place to lift with alot of amazing people who will encourage you every step of the way.
Pros
bad work shift
Cons
positive environment
Ymca
Volunteer Experiences (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON20 March 2017
I was very young when I first started with these volunteer jobs. It helped me at a young age learn how to deal with very hyper young kids. On a daily basis, we would organize games, some days we have to create a schedule for the day, and watch over the kids while the staff monitered us.
Fun workplace
Personal Trainer (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB19 March 2017
I really enjoyed working at the YMCA. I am very interested in personal development and helping people achieve their fitness goals was very fulfilling to me.
Best place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2017
Working at the YMCA was the best. I had so much fun and I got to meet new people everyday and the staff there made me feel like I was apart of a family.
Pros
Environment
Excellent Job
CAMP COUNSELLOR (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 March 2017
great work opportunity, excellent working for a non-profit organization, great staff, wonderful management team, and enjoyable day to day working environment.
Fun workplace
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK16 March 2017
Great management team and all the employees are very friendly and helpful.
All the members are very motivating and you learn something new and productive everyday.
Pros
Free membership
What I Learned
Beyond the Bell Educator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2017
I learned new skills, and gained confidence, within the work field, and built relationships, with everyone around me, who supported me to be who I am today.
Pros
Nice, Supportive staff
Cons
Underpaid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.