YMCA Employee Reviews

One of the best work environments
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2017
Each student was completely cared for, relaxation, enjoyment
of activities, good relationship with parents. Have fun with movies, games, crafts, gym equipment, walks
Pros
If finished early stIll got paid
Cons
Boss was poor
Productive, fun, family friendly environment
Membership Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 August 2017
Typical day at work includes, assisting and answering membership concerns/inquires. Data entry, filing, front desk management and other administrative duties.
Pros
fun, enjoyable
Cons
not enough hours, a little disorganized
event planner very exciting job
Event planner (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON8 August 2017
only worked this job for 6 months and i loved every second of it. my boss was amazing very attentive and caring. loved being able to plan and organize multiple events throughout my home town that were very successful
Having fun doing all different activates with the children
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON8 August 2017
I would go to work and get everything that I needed for the class room out and ready by the door. When the children left the classroom I would bring everything into the room and quickly set everything up where they go and id have to make sure that I had the child's allergy medication on me and making sure that it was expired. Some days I would help another staff get the snacks out and clean them and cut them up for them. Also we would make sure we had everything for snacks so no one had to leave the rooms to go get what they need. What I learned at the YMCA is making friends and helping the children learn new activates, taking the children outside for an hour to play and to get fresh air and to play games with them. There is nothing hard about the job, everything to me seems easy and fast to learn new things. The most enjoyable thing about working at the YMCA is helping the staff, helping the children, keeping the classroom a safe environment and sanitized. I also liked reading and doing fun activates with the children and doing arts and crafts with them. Helping them learn new things and also myself learn new things as well. The staff and the children and the parents and respectful of each and everyone that is there. I also make sure that the children are playing safe and not climbing or fighting or throwing toys or anything at each other. I also make sure that I keep the backpack of everything I need to know about the children and the first aid back as well.
Pros
Working with the children and the staff
Cons
not quiet enough hours
Fun place to work at
School Age Educator (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON7 August 2017
I have great experience working for this organization, I met so many people and made good connections in a friendly environment. I was able to provide support to families who needed care before and after school.
Fun Workplace
School Age Child Care Art Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 August 2017
Nice place to work at. Dealing with kids and family. Good management. Productive. Fun workplace. Good professional development training. Salaries and benefits are yearly updated.
productive
Staff/Assistant Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 August 2017
Nice company to work with. Great Income for a student in high school was good enough. Nice co-workers and kids to work with. Overall great job for the summer.
Pros
good hours
Cons
nothing bad
Great experience
before and after school care (Current Employee) –  guelph on3 August 2017
This has been great experience, I am just not interested in doing before and after hours, I would like a full time job. something I can more up in and keep me interested.
Pros
love being with children
Cons
hours, pay
Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 August 2017
The Bob is amazing for community and job satisfaction. Unfortunately they are unable to pay a lot due to the fact that they are a charity. However, if you want to be very happy with the work you are doing and the people you work with and for, this is the place for you
the pool was the most best place
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2017
the job is great and awsome place to work at. there are many kids that come in who are mentally challeneged, the management was great. the only hard thing would be the kids and the way of controlling them. but i loved every signal day of my work because i got to work with kids.
Productive and fun to work in. Never a dull day
before and after school care (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 August 2017
show up early set everything up than as soon as the first child shows up its go time. It is a team effort and everyone has to step up to help out the other staff. I learned how to handle fast paced situations better. If there is any information you need to know your supervisors will try to give you the answer with in the first or 2nd day of asking. If there is an inspection for licensing the inspectors are very calming they do not show any aggression. The hardest part about the job is how influenced children are now a days. the most enjoyable part of working here is when you are talking to the kids and you can see the little light bulb above their heads turn on because they understand what you are teaching them.
Pros
Threw the day I was able to get everything at home done.
Cons
if you do not drive it is not easy to get to other centers to work
YMCA a great learning environment
Early Childhood Educator substitute (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 August 2017
YMCA provides a great opportunity to learn, challenge and aid in the development of the Early Childhood Educators' expertise. As a long time substitute, YMCA enables my skills to expand with program planning and activities in conjuction with playing to learn curriculum. The staff are proffesional and dedicated in serving the children with outmost care. The most fulfilling experience is enjoying the time with children as you scaffold their learning through provocation that results in the development of their self-esteem.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Sometime long hours
Pretty nice
Mentor (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON31 July 2017
The advisers were pretty polite and everyone built a safe and accepting environment. I felt at home and comfortable with my fellow workers. Additionally , the events were very well organised.
productive workplace
Day camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 July 2017
I love working with kids and on top of that i love travelling so the YMCA exchange program gave me both. I got a lot of job experience during my time in Quebec.
cool place
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 July 2017
good for kids looking for help with finding a job. It was too short of a program unfortunately and felt like we didn't get all the help that we could have because of this.
Fun but Tiring Workplace
Jr. and Sr. Sports Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 July 2017
It was a fun job working and playing sports all day with the children but sometimes it can be a handful and really tiring. We got to swim 2 times a week at the local swimming pool which really helped out in the week since everyone looked forward to it and it was a good relaxed period of the day.
Pros
Fun playing sports with the children and going swimming
Cons
low pay
a nice respectful work environment
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 July 2017
i would love to help this company make children love and cherish their time at a child care facility so that they learn to work well with others cause i find its important to teach children to stay calm and collective with others.
Positive workplace
Chef (Former Employee) –  Schomberg, ON26 July 2017
- Feeding multiple different groups for breakfast, lunch and dinner services with snacks also included.
- I learned a lot about allergies and customer service
- Management is great but very busy
- Workplace culture included a lot of fast pace work with specific jobs
- The hardest part about the job was figuring out time management at the beginning so that you can time out when to start prepping things and as well as keeping things clean
- The most enjoyable part of the job is the location and scenery of the job
Pros
Free food
Great environment
Volunteer Homework Club Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, Canterbury23 July 2017
Helped children complete homework after school.
Basic skills needed as the children are all in elementary school.
Lack of organization in the management team.
Fun and rewarding work
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 July 2017
The YMCA is a great company to work for. Day camps are fun to work and great way to introduce yourself to education. It is very rewarding work but tiring .
Pros
Free membership
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.