YMCA Employee Reviews

Fun with youth and adults
Inclusion Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON2 November 2016
It is amazing working everyday with youth and adults in a outdoor setting! The environment is fun and warm especially in the summer. Everyone is inclusive and enjoys meeting one another. The kids are active all day everyday enjoying activities such as canoeing and climbing and swimming. There are campfires and plays and a whole community built on honesty respect caring and responsibility.
Working at camp is awesome
Camp Chief Hector Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB24 January 2017
As a lifelong camper myself, it was an incredibly rewarding experience to finally pass on some of my love of camp to younger campers. I always looked up to my leaders as a kid, so to be able to be a role model for other people was a really neat thing to do.
Pros
you get to light fires, fantastic people
Cons
you don't make much money
fun place to work
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 November 2016
great people to work with and had fun activites to engage kids everyday, loved that it was warm and got to take kids on walks ,but the hardest part of my job was that i had some difficult kids that didnt want to listen to instructions and they didnt want to do anything but go home. I also learned that it takes a team to come together at the end of the day.
Pros
great kids
Cons
short breaks
fun work place that takes great responsability
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
In YMCA I voulunteer in the gym, usualy i afternoon hours, I help the players of each game playing feel confortable during the game or matches, I check their game and see if everything is going smoothly. I hepl the staff of the gym orgsnized everything and become in charge of the gym if he is not there
Good customer service
Swim Coach and Lifesaving Instructor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 February 2017
One of the characteristics of YMCA is its customer service which it has high standards. Three times a year, we receive training about how to do our job much better.

My job is basically to resolve conflicts, manage the lanes and keep the pool deck safe to make the members feel comfortable in the Y.
Good place to learn to keep a job and how to get one
Student (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON6 January 2017
I think they did a great job teaching my class how to get and keep a job, they got us our whmis 2015 new resumes how to right a cover letter and helped with interview skills
Pros
Get paid to learn
Cons
Some days are boring
Great and fun enviroment
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 February 2017
I enjoy it and like the people I work with. They are great for helping and understanding when someone new is joining the team. Its great to learn in and gain new skills.
Pros
Great people and very understanding poeple.
Cons
Its only part time hours and not enough full time availability.
Great first child care job to start up
Supply ECA (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
I worked in YMCA of Milton and it was always been my joy to work with many children. I learned so much about child care system and program designing helped me to learn how to create program planning for each week based on children's interests. Directors and supervisors were all supportive and friendly.
Pros
You will love your job.
Cons
Times between morning and afternoon shifts.
Wonderful workplace for people who love children
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON5 December 2016
YMCA Wanakita is one of the biggest YMCA Camps of Canada that holds about 500 people every 2 weeks during the summer. The people that work there are very friendly, a lot of fun, outgoing and are easy to talk to about anything.
Pros
A lot of fun, great people
Cons
Full time contract for a season only
Pay is not equal/poor benefits
Housing Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2017
Consistent turn over rate. Very low hourly wage for overnight.

This is not a very challenging position if you are just getting started in the field.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Day staff payed more then night staff/wage is non negotiable
Such a welcoming place to work!
Daycare Worker (Current Employee) –  Trenton, ON16 January 2017
The YMCA is a great place to work! Seeing all the smiling faces that are there to greet you every day as you enter make coming into the building such a wonderful experience. So proud to be a part of such an amazing team!
Long hours but great staff
Junior Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON7 February 2017
Worked full-time for two summers in a row and the staff was great and hard-working. Loved working with the kids and spending my time outdoors. All in all a great experience!
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor pay rate
Great job
Membership Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 January 2016
Great work atmosphere at any YMCA front desk. Lots of experience and training provided. Lots of friendly members and participants to build connections with
Pros
Free membership, yearly wage raises, friendly staff & members
Cons
Long hours, weekend shifts, not much room for career advancement
Busy little gym on their third floor
Instructor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 November 2016
The members are great. The staff and volunteers are great people. They help you as much as they can. Depending on the time of day , different groups of people make a the gym a different vibe at all times .
Pros
Volunteers and staff to spot a memeber
Cons
Alot of older staff which contradicts the pros
challenging environment and fun place
Housing Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 July 2016
learning administrative stuff and working together as a team
good management
fun coworker
busy
flexible hours
everything can learn but might take a while and interesting work environment.
Excellent Job Opportunity
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Exshaw, AB22 January 2017
YMCA Calgary never fails to remain a open and caring company and extends upon themselves in new ways to the public. You learn outdoor skills and connecting with Youth. The workplace is open and there is always assistance available
cliquey
Summer Youth Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I found this to be a very clique group. Essentially the people in charge of hiring hired friends and delegated the most desirable roles out to their friends.
On a positive note it was rewarding knowing that you made summer camp a fun memorable experience.
Very Friendly, relaxed and stress free
Administrative Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON15 February 2017
A typical day at work would be making sure the printers have enough paper, typing information on the computer, filing, & sorting and organizing files.

I learned to always focus on the task at hand because the boss might not like what i do.
Positive encouraging and Inclusive.
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON12 September 2016
I enjoy working at Mary Street YMCA because I have grown as a fitness instructor and leader. I have been encouraged to learn new disciplines, take on leadership roles and have a great rapport with staff and team. It is a pleasure to work with positive inspiring people who are understanding and empathetic to my personal needs. It has been a pleasure serving as a fitness instructor at the YMCA
Excellent place to meet new people.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, AB2 February 2017
Currently volunteering here. I go to the Ymap program every Thursday plus other days that we go to different places to explore and learn.
Pros
Meet new people, more opportunities
Cons
No payment