YMCA Employee Reviews

Excellent workplace
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
Excellent workplace to gain experience in an welcoming atmosphere. The downside of it is the huge workload and tight deadlines. This can be compensated with your team members
Great place to work!
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2016
I had the best experience ever working at the Y Ellwood location in Edmonton. They are absolutely the best people to work with. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They were also very supportive especially the director. Super awesome team. I work work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to re-locate to another province. Team work made the dream work at this location for sure.
Pros
Management very supportive
Cons
None!
safe and fun environment
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK10 October 2016
YMCA was a great place to work, i had a great time during my employment as i came to know a lot of people that came to exercise at the facility.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
work schedule
Very supportive
Supply Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2016
Working with the YMCA has taugh me a lot. The employees are all unreal and so so so supprtive. I stand by everything the YMCA supports. I thank all the staff for everything they have taught me!
Productive and a fun place to work at.
Prep / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2016
I got to learn and grow as a up coming chef in training. Also management was understanding and at the same time stern. My co workers made the job more fun and enjoyable. I was good in a group setting at the YMCA.
Energetic workplace lots of responsibiltiy
Facilitator (Beyond the bell) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, SCT17 September 2015
Typical day , getting there early preparing the kids' snacks around 2:30 when they arrive around 3:00 have them wash their hands and then they have their snack. Run planned activities with them ect... , until their parents arrive around 5:00

The great part, was that i learned how to work with children and i was trained while doing so . and how to be a little more creative when i needed to come up with and plan activities. Management was pretty helpful , co-workers were all very pleasant. Hardest part(s) of the job dealing with belligerent children and planning activities.

Most enjoyable , hearing that the kids actually like you !
Pros
Training before and between work.
Cons
Long hours on feet, demanding and lots of responsibility.
Stepping stones for a bright future
Pre-school Instructor-Genesis Centre (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 March 2016
A typical day at work involves a 3 hour class with energetic and keen youngsters. I enjoy meeting each and every student as they greet me when they arrive and are eager to learn and interact in activities with one another. I enjoy working along my co-workers who are from different cultures and backgrounds. This provides a multi-cultural experience while enhancing the social, emotional and cognitive knowledge of our diverse little ones.
Always a fun and positive environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2016
Everyday at the YMCA is a learning day and the staff is able to solve any issue that comes thier way. Everyone at the YMCA is friendly and makes the workplace enjoyable!
Enjoyable
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 September 2016
a lot of sitting around. mostly watching 1 or two swimmers. fairly easy job overall. must be a people person because the members love talking to the lifeguards
Long hard and easy days
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2016
Every day I went to work and learn more how to be a great leader always be engaged with the kids and get to know the kids each and every day talking you kids don't have favorites
Pros
help with the kids
Cons
Cleaning up their mess
It's awesome
Early Childhood Assistant/ Supply (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 October 2016
Working for the YMCA provided me with a wonderful opportunity to get to know how to to interact with children! I am positive that it is a great working environment.
Amazing inclusive organization
Senior Onsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON1 October 2016
- inclusive
- dynamic
- fast paced
- always learning new things
- teamwork
- respectful
- non profit
- leader in quality child care
- volunteer driven
- philanthropy
Productive, Kind environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2016
Days were calm and collected everything is well organized and people are always satisfied. Co workers were kind and always offering a helping hand to costumers and other employees.
Pros
kind environment
A great program for helping people find work.
Workshop Trainee (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 August 2016
Through the program I learned a lot about myself, the kind of work I'm good at, inter-personal skills in the workplace and a lot about my own self-esteem.
Programing, Interacting With Children, Teamwork, Daily Interactions with Parents
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  London, ON21 August 2016
Programming daily, observations on children daily, bathroom routines, outside play, playing to learn curriculum. Worked with great coworkers as a team and individually
Team Based Work Environment
Program Coordinator -­ Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON24 May 2016
The YMCA of Niagara is a team based organization that requires all departments to work together in order to run its day to day operations.

They strive for a strong relationship with all of their members. To assist in that process they have a set of standards that all staff are required to meet.

The members were the best part of this job. Everyone is different and brings a new story to the table. I learned so many new and interesting things from the members.
active work space environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 August 2016
-bad pay, not worth the hard work
-outside all day
-physically draining
i dont even want to write this review but indeed is making me, i hate when sights make you fill surveys out
Pros
workers are nice
Cons
poor pay
Very Poor Management and co-workers are shady.
Cleaner/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON16 May 2016
They care only of themselves and would through their own mother under a bus.... regarding H/R and All levels of management.
Encouraging and inclusive work environment
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON20 July 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the YMCA and learned a lot from my time there. The staff is fantastic and constantly went beyond the typical job requirements to ensure each child benifited from the program each and every day.
Fun atmosphere
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON29 April 2016
Great boss. Great coworkers. Great environment. Recent strides to bring up wages and benefits gets a thumbs up from me.