YMCA Employee Reviews

3. very kind, easy to work with, helpful
4. many different personalities
5. sitting for long hours learning things I already know
6. benefited a job, got paid$$$, met new faces
Pros
A job
Cons
sitting for long hours
Great members - poor management - terrible pay - little hours
Health and Wellness Coach (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 December 2017
I worked for 3 different supervisors - child care, fitness, and afterschool programs, and was still unable to reach full time hours. They would rather hire 1000 students because they get grants to do so - leaving dependable workers without shifts.

The shifts I had were all split so I would anticipate work early in the morning until later in the evening, only actucally working 6 hours. The compensation was terrible. I taught aquafit to full classes just to be paid slightly above minimum wage. The personal trainer wage was also insulting, as well as the childcare and afterschool programs wage.

I was let go from the Y after 6 months - I was accused of "poaching clients" and "making money under the table." Neiter of which were true, but I never did get to speak for myself - I was just let go on the spot. Its unfortunate because I was a huge advocate of the YMCA and constantly tried to draw attention to their programs. Now I have nothing nice to say and would recommend you find work elsewhere.
Pros
Kind Members
Cons
Terrible compensation, poor management, little hours, split shifts
Great Life experiences
Fitness Instructor/ Sales, membership (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 December 2017
Thankful for the experience. Great community staff. Wide variety of positive life experiences to walk away with. Good partnerships with the community. Feels great putting on the uniform to help 'everyone'
working there for co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 December 2017
working at a ymca for my co-op was an amazing experience everyone there was very nice and helpful when needed. they always greeted people with a smile sometimes remeber certain people and that was cool for me to experience i would really enjoy an opportunity to work there again in the future.
Pros
working with children, getting to see the smile on peoples faces
Cons
no cons
great workplace
Facility Housekeeping Attendant (FA) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2017
great place to work and meet people. learning experiences are great but can be challenging. It helps if you are social, kind, into health and willing to help out anyone even if its not 'your area'.
Good
Instructional Basketball Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough8 December 2017
Fun and interesting culture, with workers and attendees being very friendly. It was nice and bright, very welcoming for newcomers. I worked as a volunteer and it was easy to get into such a place.
Fun work environment.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 December 2017
Working for the YMCA at Camp Thunderbird was an amazing experience. They hire the most capable staff ensuring you can always rely on your coworkers. The best part of the job was being able to deliver memorable experiences to clients.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long working periods
Amazing experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON6 December 2017
I enjoyed the comfortable and accommodating environment while I completed my hours. It was an irreplaceable experience that has greatly benefited my future.
Pros
paid training
Community feeling within facility
Full time Membership Sales and Services Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 December 2017
I decline to give a review at this time. I prefer to not say negative things about my workplace caused by restructuring of management that has had a negative impact on the moral of the staff.
Pros
Hours are great
Cons
Lack of leadership
Good place to work pay is average
Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Orillia4 December 2017
great place to work if you like to volunteer a lot, most people are good to work with. They do a lot for the community and are very stuck in there ways.
Pros
Freindly
Cons
can not keep there people that work for them especially in Aquatics
Low Career upgrading support
Building Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2017
Weekend work shift

no proper training on automation when new staff comes in

handle all type of works but sometimes reject works due to safety concern and non compliant to H & S
Pros
free membership
Poor pay
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 December 2017
Pay half of what other companies do for the same or less work. Poor spending decisions by directors caused no raises for past 3 year, and they announced there will be none for another 4.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Low pay, minimal staff = overworked
Fun and energetic
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE: Councilor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2017
Very fun working with people of all ages, developed even better communication skills as well as costumer satisfaction skills. Kind volunteers and very fun.
Pros
Fun, energetic, very social enviroment
Eca
Early Childcare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
this position requires you to be very quick and understanding when it comes to the children they require full attention round the clock and it is important to include everyone's interest and needs
you can work out before your shift
Locker Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 November 2017
the Y is like a big mall but for sports and health only you can find all types of individuals
also is a great way to live life keeping healthy,,the hardest part was when swimming classes were going on because you had to make sure kids don't run and hurt them self
Pros
free use of gym equipment
Cons
not enough hours
Overall good job,fun with the children.
Beyond the Bell Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK28 November 2017
Although I thoroughly enjoyed working with kids, the staff had a tendency to talk behind people's backs,and this was rather annoying. Other than that it was an enjoyable work experience.
Pros
Got to spend time with kids
Cons
Backstabbing staff members
Fun
Senior Tripping Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON28 November 2017
The bottle also comes equipped with the ability to keep drinks at a perfect warm or cold temperature for up to eight hours at a time. Coffee will stay warm the whole commute to work, and water will stay cold all-day long. It also comes equipped with a UV-C light inside which at the press of a button flashes the inside of the bottle and removes 99.99% of bacteria inside. Great for making sure the bottle is always free of germs.
Amazing atmosphere with a great team
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON24 November 2017
The best part of the job is getting to spend time with such a wonderful group of coworkers, feeling the positive energy from the atmosphere, and always feeling motivated to be my best once I'm in there.
Great environment to grow
Wellness Attendant (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CT24 November 2017
The YMCA provides a lot of room in order to grow within the company and skills to help you outside of the company. The staff and members were a part of the community, which made the job more endearing.
Good
Basketball Referee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 November 2017
The YMCA was a very fun and engaging environment to work in I really liked being able to go outside and not having to stay insid3 every single day because that sucked

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

58.6K