YMCA Employee Reviews

gain experince
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 10, 2016
work together as a team or independently working in the different locations around edmonton
gained experience in doing daily maintenance tasks that helped maintain the buildings equipment
Badminton,Cricket
Voiunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 10, 2016
I like to play cricket, badminton sometime football,baseball. I enjoy my game whenever I play these sports. It gives me relief of my pressure.
Productive work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Making beds and setting up dinner tables were my primary tasks as a volunteer at YMCA. Management colleagues were competent, motivational and people-oriented. Work environment was very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Tasks are often dull
Youth Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 9, 2016
- Overall great experience. Every day was enjoyable.

- I've learned how to be a great supervisor of the youth, great communicating skills.

- Management was exceptional

- Nothing was necessarily hard for me

- I enjoyed everything about it
Pros
got to stay in shape
Cons
not enough hours
Funfilled and learning experience
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 8, 2016
Its really playing to learn experience there., I have gained in-depth knowledge of accommodating different types of learners and incorporating effective methods to meet children's unique needs.
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 6, 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
The YMCA is a very fun environment to work in.
Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 6, 2016
The YMCA is awesome. The staffing is great, the management is outstanding. I wish i worked there full-time instead of working for a 6 months contract. over all it's an amazing company to work for.
I love working with the children and learnt valuable life skills.
Wellness Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of preparing a lesson plan for the classes I teach that day. I could also be found with a lifeguarding shift where I'm in charge of everything that happens at the pool within a given timeframe. I learned various first aid skills and how to deal and understand children more. My co-workers were all nice and we had an amazing working environment. The hardest part of the job is when children don't listen, while you are trying to perform a skill or provide the class with an explanation. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children you've previously taught, blossom into amazing swimmers and grow both physically and emotionally.
Pros
Free YMCA membership
Cons
Uncommunicative bosses
Great job
Housekeeping and pool maintenance (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMay 31, 2016
I enjoyed my time at the YMCA. The work was demanding and rewarding. I felt valued and had a wonderful relation ship with my fellow employees.
Pros
Fast pace
Cons
No advancment
amazing experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 30, 2016
Every one is amazing and hard working, You get to meet amazing people who share the same interests and passions as you. It is welcoming and a good atmosphere.
Team Based Work Environment
Program Coordinator -­ Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMay 24, 2016
The YMCA of Niagara is a team based organization that requires all departments to work together in order to run its day to day operations.

They strive for a strong relationship with all of their members. To assist in that process they have a set of standards that all staff are required to meet.

The members were the best part of this job. Everyone is different and brings a new story to the table. I learned so many new and interesting things from the members.
N/a
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
Connections with other service providers
Opportunities to engage in other departments such as Employment and Community, Health Fitness and Recreation and Child care
Exciting place, learned a lot at this company.
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the children and following instructions, and routine. Planned activities for children to followed, ensure space was organized and children had access to any materials they could have. Often had spontaneous learning opportunities.
fun with lots of kids
After school programer (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 17, 2016
I loved working with a lot of children. the parents were great. We did lots of things like going swimming or going to the library.
Pros
good kids
Cons
alone
Very Poor Management and co-workers are shady.
Cleaner/Custodian (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 16, 2016
They care only of themselves and would through their own mother under a bus.... regarding H/R and All levels of management.
Great place to work or volunteer
Yoga Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
I love it, people are nice and I love to share my passion with the students - Yoga
You can get a membership if you volunteer there and the gym is pretty good, a lot of machine or if you want you can enjoy classes too all included in your membership... fantastic
Pros
Membership
Volunteer Job
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
I do my volunteer Job every Thursday in the evening to help the coordinator make or organize different activities with youth people who are studying grade 12.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 10, 2016
Great place to work, friendly staff and easy to get along with and very knowledgeable, the company overall is great. Love working here
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ONMay 3, 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
Productive and a fun place to work at.
Prep / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 3, 2016
I got to learn and grow as a up coming chef in training. Also management was understanding and at the same time stern. My co workers made the job more fun and enjoyable. I was good in a group setting at the YMCA.