YMCA
2,531 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great place to work with amazing staff.
Lifeguard/ Aquatics Instructor (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: - i get to work with great people, the job is extremely rewarding
Cons: low pay
A typical day in my position switches between guarding the pool and teaching aquatic lessons. The lessons I teach range from pre school classes to teaching lifesaving courses such as bronze cross. I work with many different types of people in my typical day and try my best to build a relationship with my students.

The hardest part of my job is the – more... fact that others lives are in my hands. I am very serious when it comes to this position because it is very important to always be tentative and watchful of all patrons.

The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching because it is rewarding for me as the instructor. When I see my students progressing it brings me great joy and causes me to feel even more determined to do everything I can in order to help them continue progressing.

My co-workers are all amazing at my job and I get along really well with all of them. We are a team at this job really promotes exercising as a team because we are dealing with serious matters, especially while we are guarding.

I have learned a lot from this job such as collaboration with others and how to handle different situations. I also have become much better working under pressure, as I have no choice if something is to go wrong while I am guarding or teaching lessons. – less
Productive, and fun work place.
Co-op Placement (Former Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day at placement was a calm but enjoyable day.
The summer placement doesn't have many children come to the YMCA so on a good day there will be 7 kids max.

I enjoyed my time at the YMCA.
A bit tough but overall a blast
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCJanuary 3, 2014
I still work for the YMCA as a trained lifeguard. It's a great job to have and everyone there is great. I get to work with people of all ages.
Fun
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2013
Pros: rewards at where we help out.
Cons: long hours.
It was just volunteer work. Didn't get paid but it gave me quite a bit of experience of the field of work/
As listed.
Schools Site Coordinator (Former Employee), Corner Brook, NLDecember 30, 2013
Pros: met so many people and learned many new skills.
Cons: only temporary.
Excellent,fun job but it was only temporary. They never allowed the same person do the job for 2 years in a row.
fun atmosphere
YOUTH PROGRAMS FACILITATOR (Former Employee), cobourgDecember 26, 2013
A very fun atmosphere and an active place to work. Had an issue with the depth of the training and feel they should take more time training employees making sure they are aware of the special needs of all participants.
Busy, fun work environment
Leadership Head Councilor (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 18, 2013
Pros: fun job, great people
Cons: low pay
Full day of child care, planning and facilitating activities.
Wonderful staff.
Fun workplace and helpful people
ECE Assistant(Volunteer) (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONDecember 17, 2013
As a newcomer to Ottawa, I have received many help from YMCA-YWCA, so I choose my first volunteer job there to pay back.
I really enjoy the valued days I have worked there.
The workplace is great and teachers there are so helpful.
a great place to work
Office assistant (Former Employee), North York, ONDecember 4, 2013
- office assistance
- learned a lot about customer care
- lot of teamwork
- Co -workers were great , always helpful
voluntary
Volunteer Assistant Lifeguard (Former Employee), Burlington, ONDecember 2, 2013
Pros: teaching
Cons: it was in a pool
To be polite
To be Kind to others
Learned to give back to the community
keeping kids in check
having fun
Fun place to work with co-workers who love to help
Supply Teacher (Current Employee), Burlington, ONNovember 25, 2013
Pros: friendly staff
Cons: diaper changes
I enjoy coming to work everyday; it's easy to wake up and make my way to work on early mornings. My workplace is very flexible and understanding with any problems I may face. The kids/parents are all very friendly and appreciate the work that I do. The most enjoyable part of my day is noticing when the children take what I teach them and apply them – more... to everyday situations and also when they teach their parents the same things. – less
wonderful place to work
Afterschool Antics Instructor (Current Employee), kitchener ONNovember 12, 2013
It is a wonderful play to work, great experience and great people also. I enjoy working with kids and enjoy learning something new from them every day.
Productive, creative
Trainee (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 12, 2013
Pros: good work environment, supportive, open to new ideas
Cons: not long term
YMCA Youth Enhancement Support Services.

Advancing my skills as well as gaining new certificates such as WHMIS and Smart Serve.
very warm and friendly atmospher .Feeling good with helping people
Newcomer information Center Customer Service (Former Employee), 10 Millner scarbouroghNovember 5, 2013
Pros: free lunchs
Cons: nothing
a typical day started from 8 am - 4 pm
I learned a lot of institue around Toronto with different service for new comers
I liked working with my team all were very nice people
I did not feel any hardness in my job
The most enjoable part of my job was meeting people from different parts of word and seeing smile of their face when they were feeling of – more... satisfaction after getting help from us – less
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee), Sydney, NSOctober 29, 2013
As a volunteer in YMCA, the main task for me was to communicate with children, which as a assistant for a coach. I learned a lot relating to child protection, such as child abuse law.
Very interesting place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee), cambridge,onOctober 24, 2013
Answering the phone and direct clients to the respective departments.
I learned to be inform of most of the programs that the community offer so I can be helpfull for any client.
Fun and exciting job, but very physically demanding
General Counselor (Former Employee), Claryville, NYOctober 23, 2013
Pros: living in such a beautiful place, meeting great people, amazing opportunities.
Cons: long hours
The day as a General Counselor was very demanding but extremely enjoyable at the same time. You had to work seventeen hours a day typically, and only had one rest day every two weeks.

You had to always maintain a highly motivated and enthusiastic approach, in order to make sure that the campers were always having a great time at their summer camp.

I – more... learnt a lot about myself in the three months that I worked for Frost Valley, it changed me as a person. I met some great people and was working in an environment that was constantly pushing my limits and throwing me outside my comfort zone. My ability to now speak to large groups of people has vastly improved, as is my confidence in myself as an individual.

The hardest part of the job was the long hours that we had to work, we woke the campers up at 7:30AM for flag raising, then put them to bed at around 11:00PM, however we had to stay up until 1AM to make sure that the campers went to sleep. These hours were extremely exhausting and made it hard to maintain a level of enthusiasm.

The best part of the job was the campers and the other members of staff. You made strong bonds with the people that you lived with, being submersed into situations at Frost Valley really connected you to others. Being able to be a big brother to a camper who is struggling with home sickness, seeing them through it and watching them develop as a person is by far the most enjoyable part of the job. Knowing how much of an affect you are having on these children's lives is extremely satisfying and makes you forget about the amount of hours that you have spent working throughout the week. – less
Great learning experience
Tool Technician (Former Employee), Trenton, ONOctober 16, 2013
Pros: great place to work, friendly co-workers and employer
Cons: 10 month contract
While working here I was under the FPSYIP (Federal Public Sector Youth Internship Program). it was a ten month contract. during this 10 months I was able to get 6 high school credits and I learned a lot about different work environments, the people you work with, and employment skills i can use for the rest of my life.
Productive, Fun Work Environment
Youth Leadership Advisor (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONOctober 10, 2013
Pros: connections
I thoroughly enjoyed m employment with the YMCA. The staff members and all around facility was warm and a very comfortable place to work. A lot of my self development happened there at a very young age and I will always remember the values it has taught me. Management could have been a little more in tuned with the involvement of their staff members – more... and how much the facility and its programs meant to them. Co-Workers proved to be closely knit in order to provide a hospitable work environment, like a family. The hardest part about the job was moving forward for new growth. there was never much room or opportunity and often times made employees feel held back and stuck. However what made it most enjoyable were the youth and other members that took part in our programs. To see a positive development and gain great feed back was more than pleasurable. – less
This was a great placement, and a great first time job experience.
Child Care Worker at "Good Sheperd" (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONOctober 5, 2013
Pros: working with children.
Cons: not enough hours.
Supervising children with indoor/outdoor activities.
Planned and prepared activities/trips.
Firm leadership yet understanding
and compassionate.

About YMCA

YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, – Read more