YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
fun place to work
Membership Sales and Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 30, 2016
I would of have liked to work there longer but it was contract work. some times it was overwhelming at times when it had gotten pretty busy. But if I had the chance to work there again, I would totally apply it also gave you a free membership for a year.
Maintaining a clean and safe environment for children and co-workers and instilling good values for the children
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONMarch 30, 2016
I go into work every day to a room full of fun loving children. My job is to keep them engaged in learning about anything they are interested in.
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
YMCA serves people of all ages, background and ailities through all stages of life.
Customer Service Representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was a volunteer work. I used to interact and engage with members and prospects to determine needs; assist member on-boarding, handle member's general inquiries and questions, gather information, prepare member records, and issues membership ID cards.
Good place to work at
Membership Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 26, 2016
Fun environment with gentle people. Pay is not the best, but you can't expect much more from a charitable organization. If you choose to work for the YMCA, make sure it's not based on the money
It was a learning experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 19, 2016
A typical day at work would be to unlock the door to the storage room, sit down on the bench and wait for parents to bring their children downstairs. Sometimes it would not happen, sometimes people would show up.
Pros
Free membership if your willing to do the work
Very fun and productive kept you on your toes
Junior Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 18, 2016
I thought this was a great job experience and taught me a lot of new things. It was a great way to spend my summer. The kids were very fun to be around and very polite the activities were a great way to help really interact with the kids. It was a very warm and welcoming place to be, also it was a location close to home so I didn't mind it. The hours weren't long it was a great way to spend my day.
Pros
Energizing
Well balnced and a fun wotk place to work
Assisting Toddlers Class (Current Employee) –  YMCA Point Claire, QCMarch 18, 2016
Well balanced and a fun workplace to work with kids and co-workers. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see kids how much they love yoga.
Pros
Free membership
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Great place to work!
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I had the best experience ever working at the Y Ellwood location in Edmonton. They are absolutely the best people to work with. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They were also very supportive especially the director. Super awesome team. I work work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to re-locate to another province. Team work made the dream work at this location for sure.
Pros
Management very supportive
Cons
None!
childcare
Daycare Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBMarch 12, 2016
Spending your day with kids having a lot of fun..programs are great ...my child grew up as a Y child. Co-workers become family .
Pros
fun days and programs
Cons
staff paying fullprice for programs and childcare
Stepping stones for a bright future
Pre-school Instructor-Genesis Centre (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves a 3 hour class with energetic and keen youngsters. I enjoy meeting each and every student as they greet me when they arrive and are eager to learn and interact in activities with one another. I enjoy working along my co-workers who are from different cultures and backgrounds. This provides a multi-cultural experience while enhancing the social, emotional and cognitive knowledge of our diverse little ones.
Requires the ability to work in teams in a dynamic setting
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, QCMarch 6, 2016
The YMCA is not a high stress environment. The work conducted my require efficiency and organization, but as long as all tasks are conducted in a timely manner, the scheduling is not too overwhelming.
jumpy and fun
Assistant Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work always involved playing and jumping around with children.Shouting all the time but it was fun.I learned different cultures and how to handle children.The management was pretty good.My co-workers were really good and appreciate working with them because we agreed the same thing most times.I didn't find the job hard because i enjoy working with children and seeing them happy.The most enjoyable part was going swimming and playing with children which always made me happy.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hpurs
friendly co-workers, productive working environment
School age child care supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 28, 2016
the enjoyable part of the job is the children and the friendly co-workers, good curriculum to work with. the spilt shift can be a bit tiring but once your used to it its fine.
Ymca
Trees Planting Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONFebruary 21, 2016
This is actually a volunteering for the teenages. Its very good that we really get closed to the environment and do something to help the both the city and citizens to creat a nice urban space
Fun, community involved organization
Rise and Shine Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I spend two hours every Friday in the Rise and Shine program, playing games with children, assisting them with their snacks, and helping with cleanup.
I have learned a lot about how young children think and play, and also how to tend to their needs as many do not speak English.
This is also the hardest part of the job, as it is a struggle when you cannot provide exactly what children need because they cannot articulate their thoughts. It is very rewarding on the other hand to see children learning to cooperate with one another and make friends at such a young age.
Pros
experience for my education, work connections, new friendships
Cons
difficulty understanding some kids
Boring
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Not a good job. Very disrespectful management and supervisor team. The pay is horrible and there is not appreciation for the staff and all the work that they do. Seriously over worked and under paid.
Pros
Great kids and families
Cons
Horrible pay
Most rewarding job I've ever had.
Child Day Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONFebruary 9, 2016
As I stated in my summary, working for the YMCA was very rewarding, in the sense that I was able to work with such an amazing group of children, meet incredible parents, while working with extremely hard-working and intelligent co-workers.
Pros
Educational, loving, and diverse environment.
Cons
No cons.