YMCA Employee Reviews

good company
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 September 2017
Excellent work culture and good staff. Fantastic work place , multi cultural environment. Good place for new immigrants to set into the Canadian culture.
I love the Y
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON25 September 2017
I very much love the y as an organization. In my field I do not see much advancement but hours can be good. I enjoy working with the kids and families.
Pros
loving atmosphere
Cons
low wage
Summer camp counsellor
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 September 2017
• Demonstrated strong team playing skills by organizing ‘Lunch and Learn’ meetings to share best practices, including developing specialized services to integrate persons with special needs into recreational programs. Consequently, this initiative was adopted by two other YMCA branches in Ottawa.
• Applied awareness of diversity issues and the developmental characteristics of age groups in the planning and implementation of recreational activities, involving various teaching methods such as story-telling, visual and hands-on exercises.
Fun place to work
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  West Island, QC25 September 2017
Working at the YMCA is an amazing place to work. The staff, the management, the clients: it's so awesome! The energy from the community is infectious and this is really a fun place to work.
fun experince
Kids summer Camp Councillor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2017
was is fun work place, the bosses were great and work hours were really good. I would definitely work here again. They did a really good job on training their employees
I enjoyed seeing the regular customers everyday
Cashier/Cook/Reception (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 September 2017
Working at harmony cafe was a good experience, the people were nice my co-workers were amazing it was an a great experience. Working there was a great experience and i really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Not enough hours
fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 September 2017
This place is great for upbeat, and well rounded people who enjoy recreations and working with other people. It in all honesty could have been managed a little better. But no complaints here.
Pros
great environment
Cons
a bit disorganized
fair
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 September 2017
good entry level job during school or in addition to existing job. easy and fun. get to meet lots of cool people and a good way to start your day. would recommend.
Ymca work
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2017
I enjoyed working there, definetely consider it. All my coworkers are amazing and the coordinators also are very nice and i just completely cherished,
Pros
Flexible Hours
Fun and good experience
Focus on Youth Senior Leader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 September 2017
YMCA Windsor is a great place to work. Friendly staff and great opportunity. Perfect for students looking for a part time job. Always opportunity for advancements.
Amazing experience
Camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2017
Working for the YMCA Day camps taught me a lot about working with children and working in a team. It solidified my goal of becoming a teacher. It was a very fun, as well as, rewarding experience.
Pros
Consistent hours and friendly co-workers
Cons
Mentally tiring
Fun workplace in water
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 September 2017
it is fun working with kids in the water, seeing them progress with swimming. The management is helpful and nice. Hardest part of this job is to get shift coverages especially when you are sick. I really enjoy teaching and taking leadership in my classes.
Pros
relaxing
oh
summer counsellor atikameksheng anishnawbek (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON12 September 2017
I had a good team to work whit that summer no one was lazy every one just wanted to finish work the same time as every day so we could go home mane that all
Pros
got to go home for lunch
Cons
kids that crid for no reason
Fun working experience
1 Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
I feel as if it can be overwhelming at times however is not bad to a point where its nit tolerable .Working as a team is more important than showing who has more authority.
Interesting
Child care support assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2017
YMCA/YWCA is a very interesting workplace as one is given the opportunity to mix with different people with different minds.Its also a fun workplace with new things to learn everyday
Cons
Pert time work basis
My second home
Child and Youth Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Collingwood, ON11 September 2017
The YMCA has been a huge part of my life for many years. Once I finished my high school volunteer hours, not only did I continue to volunteer for the Y, but they hired me and I have been there ever since. The Y is my second home and my second family. The staff and members make my job so much easier.
YMCA Summer Day Camp
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC11 September 2017
Great summer job for high school/ university students as it allows lots of time in the sun, time filled with amazing activities. Since the manager is off site, you get to be autonomous and self-managed.
Kids and parents are pleasant.
Pros
Easy, fun, doesnt feel like job.
Cons
Days start early and are long. (Mon-Fri, 8-9hrs/day)
fun and friendly
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2017
It is a friendly place to work but doesn't pay its lifeguards and instructors enough for the amount of work we do. there are also not enough full time positions with benefits.
It is an inclusive and fun environment to volunteer in
Swimming Instructor - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 September 2017
Everyday at the Y, is exciting and everyone there is very friendly. They management is also very well. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with little kids and getting to teach them something everytime.
Pros
Flexible hours
fun to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2017
in some case i need to work out its is hardest part. i enjoyed my volunteer hour and its enjoyable volunteer.i learned how to manage time and learn differrnt type of experinece.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.