YMCA Employee Reviews

fun fast paced environment
Day Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
fun full of energy kids ready for a full day of activity outdoors and indoors. Planning high energy games and keeping kids active throughout the day at camp
Amazing environment
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 March 2017
Amazing place to work. extremely positive environment. management can be second tear because of the low salary. They promote from within often. Its a charity so people work there to make a difference.
YMCA was an amazing place to be
Child & Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 March 2017
I worked for a private agency that brought me to that location so I considered myself lucky to be in that environment. Lot's of interesting people to talk to.
Pros
good people and always changing
Cons
little bit boring for a hyperactive person
Get Paid to Play
Enhanced Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON28 February 2017
opportunity to play with children and experience life through their eyes.
opportunity to meet many families
opportunity to learn on the spot
Pros
availability to do personal things during day business hours
Cons
split shift
Good High School Job
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, Pa27 February 2017
This job I had in high school and it was perfect for that. I did not see myself there for a long period of time but it was good for what I needed it for. I was easily able to work at this job and handle my school and homework. The management was friendly and the work was easy. Requires your Lifeguard certification.
Pros
good hours
Cons
boring job
great place
Camp Counsellor, Camp Chief Hector (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 February 2017
This was a great place to work. Good management and amazing co workers. Very good learning experience and lots of fun times.

Enjoyed the support i got from management, and thankful for having an understanding supervisor, as a busy student i sometimes need time off.

Very good hours, lots of support from others.
organized and professional
On-Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON27 February 2017
I learned a lot about myself professionally when working here. amazing support system within team and staff. a lot of meetings and paper work to be completed daily. being part time was inconvenient for me but it is a great company if you are a full time staff.
welcoming environment
Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB23 February 2017
I have learned more about how to work with people from different background and culture and it was a fun experience. It would be nice if I would have more working hours
Pros
positive environment
Cons
less hours
Low Wages, No employee Recognition, Incompetent Management
Employment Advisor/ Job Developer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Low paying jobs for the amount of job duties and responsibilities, no staff recognition, professional development, or advancement in company. Incompetent management who are unable to progress business, hiring process is a joke, current management are not suited for such a role, plenty of mistakes made by management.
Fun place to work
Preschool and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON20 February 2017
I enjoyed being around the children and interacting with them everyday. The staff is all very welcoming and a very organized institutuin
Volunteer Work
Gym Welcoming Staff (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC16 February 2017
Volunteer work.

Had to aid clients find their way around the complex and got to meet many new faces.

Would put away weights that the clients have forgot to put back.

Would do a little cleaning around and had to be readily available for people to talk with me.
Great Organization that provides amazing opportunities.
Youth Internship Program, Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 February 2017
Such an amazing organization, with excellent programs. I enjoyed my time as an intern sponsored by them. So much so that I ended up mentoring a YMCA intern further in my career.
Very Friendly, relaxed and stress free
Administrative Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON15 February 2017
A typical day at work would be making sure the printers have enough paper, typing information on the computer, filing, & sorting and organizing files.

I learned to always focus on the task at hand because the boss might not like what i do.
temporay woman locker cleaner
CLEANER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 February 2017
clean and tidy locker rooms, showers, steam room. i vacuum carpets, sweep floors and mop area to shine. throw out garbage from each stall, each toilet wipe and clean bowl. sink and mirrows clean. lockers empty.
Pros
nice exercise routin
Cons
very messy
Not practicum or student friendly
Child Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK9 February 2017
Most of the childcare workers are uncertified, untrained, they feel threatened by those who are. Not a place I would do a practicum at.
Love the programing, and the dedication towards the children.
Pros
Children programs
Cons
Untrained staff
Long hours but great staff
Junior Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON7 February 2017
Worked full-time for two summers in a row and the staff was great and hard-working. Loved working with the kids and spending my time outdoors. All in all a great experience!
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor pay rate
Good customer service
Swim Coach and Lifesaving Instructor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 February 2017
One of the characteristics of YMCA is its customer service which it has high standards. Three times a year, we receive training about how to do our job much better.

My job is basically to resolve conflicts, manage the lanes and keep the pool deck safe to make the members feel comfortable in the Y.
Free membership
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 February 2017
Excellent place of employment. Good people not just the employees but the members ship the have as well.great facility for working out . They wages could be better
Very fun
Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2017
I love working at the Y, everybody there is amazing and so nice! Some of the management could use some work but apart from that it is a very pleasant place to work!
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Not enough hours, constantly changing your availability
children
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 February 2017
the children are fun energetic and enthusiastic. learn from them and teach them new experiences. great learning experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.