YMCA Employee Reviews

Very fun
Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 February 2017
I love working at the Y, everybody there is amazing and so nice! Some of the management could use some work but apart from that it is a very pleasant place to work!
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Not enough hours, constantly changing your availability
Fun, hands on workplace
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 November 2016
-Fun, hands on workplace
-Opportunities to learn new skill sets through PDs and Huddles
-Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children
Pros
Learn new skill sets, have fun with kids
Cons
Split shifts, lack of communication, disorganized management
Long hours but great staff
Junior Day Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON7 February 2017
Worked full-time for two summers in a row and the staff was great and hard-working. Loved working with the kids and spending my time outdoors. All in all a great experience!
Pros
good hours
Cons
poor pay rate
Pleasant place to work , good feedback and lots of little perks
Outdoor washroom attendant (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON20 September 2016
good hours
learned how to temporarily fix a toilet
Management gave positive feed back
coworkers were friendly
plunging toilets does not always work
good hours
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Great Place to Work
Executive Chef (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON8 October 2016
Geneva Park is a Conferance Center in Orillia. It is a YMCA facility. Though there are camping and leadership programs that use the facility, it is NOT a camp. It is a conferance centre first and foremost.

A wide variety of services and accomodations are available. From a food service perspective we specialize in efficiant, high end service that gives our conferance groups an excellent quality meal whithin their budget and alloted break time.

We also do an excellent job catering to weddings and banquets, partys, vacationing, and reunions.
Workplace that cares a lot about their clients
Childcare Provider (Current Employee) –  Port Elgin, ON11 December 2016
Amazing Place to work. Good management, I really enjoy my work there. I gained a lot of experience working with children from the ages of 2-12, it really helped my education.
Diverse and challenging work
Technician Class II (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 November 2016
Each day held new challenges, I enjoyed working with people from many different backgrounds and cultures. At times I had to learn and test my people skills with difficult tenants that had mental issues and families that were new immigrants to ease their transition.

It was very rewarding to see my work make these people happy and relieved in their homes when problems were fixed. These include issues with heat and air conditioning, floods to more basic problems with lighting and acquiring new paint and furniture.

Office personal made me feel very appreciated when I fixed several of their ongoing issues one for example had left persistent leaks in bathrooms for years.

The patrons in the pool gave me reason to be proud when they commented on how clean and crystal clear the water was without a pervasive smell of chlorine.

Working independently without supervision and the full trust of my immediate superior gave me even more motivation to get the job done right and efficiently.

I allowed the smooth transition from work order issues to satisfied customer using innovated fixes that kept us under budget without using expensive materials and outside contractors.
Pros
New and unexpected challenges each day, helping people
Cons
significant layoffs and budget cuts, tripled our workload
Great job
Membership Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 January 2016
Great work atmosphere at any YMCA front desk. Lots of experience and training provided. Lots of friendly members and participants to build connections with
Pros
Free membership, yearly wage raises, friendly staff & members
Cons
Long hours, weekend shifts, not much room for career advancement
Pay is not equal/poor benefits
Housing Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 January 2017
Consistent turn over rate. Very low hourly wage for overnight.

This is not a very challenging position if you are just getting started in the field.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Day staff payed more then night staff/wage is non negotiable
Great place to work in
RECE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2016
Maryward child care centre is a great place to work in. The atmosphere is fun and healthy. Children and teachers thrive there. The staff are friendly and I would recommend any ECE to find a job there.
Pros
Free lunches
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 September 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit
Working at camp is awesome
Camp Chief Hector Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB24 January 2017
As a lifelong camper myself, it was an incredibly rewarding experience to finally pass on some of my love of camp to younger campers. I always looked up to my leaders as a kid, so to be able to be a role model for other people was a really neat thing to do.
Pros
you get to light fires, fantastic people
Cons
you don't make much money
fun place to work
Leader in Training (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 November 2016
great people to work with and had fun activites to engage kids everyday, loved that it was warm and got to take kids on walks ,but the hardest part of my job was that i had some difficult kids that didnt want to listen to instructions and they didnt want to do anything but go home. I also learned that it takes a team to come together at the end of the day.
Pros
great kids
Cons
short breaks
Fun with youth and adults
Inclusion Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON2 November 2016
It is amazing working everyday with youth and adults in a outdoor setting! The environment is fun and warm especially in the summer. Everyone is inclusive and enjoys meeting one another. The kids are active all day everyday enjoying activities such as canoeing and climbing and swimming. There are campfires and plays and a whole community built on honesty respect caring and responsibility.
Lots of politics to deal with!
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 September 2015
I worked here for a LONG time, and regret it!
If you want to deal with games and politics this is the place for you...most management need training on ppl skills
Staff are burnt out and crying out for a change but are overlooked in favour of the ppl that snitch and kiss up.
The only good thing is the great families and children you work with, some loyal and great staff and the benefits package is the best I've seen in the last 4 companies I've worked for.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Negative management, lots of politics and favouritism, lack of training for new staff
Great Job
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London, ON17 November 2016
Excellent Job with great hours. Would walk in and get the job done. Excellent staff to work with and management is understanding. Everyone works together to achieve a goal
les chatter ymca
Health & Wellness Coach (Current Employee) –  Hamilton12 August 2016
This job was just terrible, i did so much for the ymca and all they did was give me broken promises and ignore me. No way to make a career out of this
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Bad management & No pay advancements
Worst job i ever had
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 October 2016
I was literally fired for no reason. the people were mean. the only thing pleasant about the job was the community and the people associated with the ymca.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
Rude co workers, bad job expirence
fun work place that takes great responsability
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 January 2017
In YMCA I voulunteer in the gym, usualy i afternoon hours, I help the players of each game playing feel confortable during the game or matches, I check their game and see if everything is going smoothly. I hepl the staff of the gym orgsnized everything and become in charge of the gym if he is not there
Fun Job! Great staff! Great Benefits!
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Minesing, ON18 February 2016
I love working for the YMCA of Simcoe Muskoka. It is a great place to work. The staff are pleasant to work with. The children and families are lovely. It is a great way to help children grow in all areas of development. The pay is decent and has many benefits!