YMCA

4.5K reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

leading youths of same age was challenging and i loved facing it.
Girls Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader,October 5, 2015
fabulous people with great environment. each day i got to learned more and more from Co-workers and youths from different place, there culture and activeness inspired me always.
Pros
Yes because it was a program for new comers so we believe to feel them as home.
Cons
6 hours in a day
great company
Site Supervisor - Before and After School Care (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONOctober 1, 2015
The department I worked for was less than friendly. I really did enjoy the work that I did but I found the department of girls very close knit and closed off to new comers
Made alot friends co-workers and members alike
Housekeeping & Facilities (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 1, 2015
It was mostly cleaning but I did laundry as well. I learned to be more like myself than pretend to be somebody im not management for the most part was decent co-workers were awesome made a lot of friends the hardest part was dealing day to day issues it was never same.
Pros
hanging with the members
Cons
salary was not up to par
nice work place
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 28, 2015
it is nice woke place. really good opportunities to start your career if you want to work for non-profit organization. the payment is not very high and benefit is so so. However co-workers are very nice and friendly.
Lots of politics to deal with!
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 26, 2015
I worked here for a LONG time, and regret it!
If you want to deal with games and politics this is the place for you...most management need training on ppl skills
Staff are burnt out and crying out for a change but are overlooked in favour of the ppl that snitch and kiss up.
The only good thing is the great families and children you work with, some loyal and great staff and the benefits package is the best I've seen in the last 4 companies I've worked for.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Negative management, lots of politics and favouritism, lack of training for new staff
hardest part of the job
Part-time Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONSeptember 26, 2015
Keeping individuals on a schedule and making them understand the importance of lifestyle balance. Keeping up with nutrition information to help assist clients, there is a lot of information and can get complicated so trying to make it easy for everyday individuals becomes a challenge.
Pros
Helping 1 client succeed
Cons
seeing peoples lack of motivation
Enjoyable Overall Workplace
Membership Consultant (Current Employee) –  Rockland, ONSeptember 25, 2015
I am always happy to come to work & look forward to my shifts at the YMCA. My superiors are amazing people and so are my coworkers.
Fast paced and fun environment
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 25, 2015
Fast paced work place with supportive co-workers.
I was able to express my feelings and worries in a
respectful and timely manor with no judgement.
I feel more organized and clean. It was a fun environment
we're I could feel part of a productive team
Pros
Free workout/swimming sessions
Cons
finding an allergy
Overall, it was great except for the fact that we get paid half of the min. wage ($5 an hour!)
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Fun place to work in. You develop a great connection with the kids even though working can be a little stressful. Friendly co-counselors and I got comfortable on my 2nd week cause on my first one i was pretty left out. I had so much fun with the kids (3-6 years of age). Worked there for 4 weeks for summer day camps..
Pros
Very well known company.. friendly people/co-counselors.
Cons
Salary: is $5 an hour, we get paid less than we should, cause we work 7 hours a day 5 days a week! it's horrible
Tiring but worth it
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Gibsons, BCSeptember 16, 2015
24/6 care of 10 children in a cabin. Worked from ages 4 to 13 with the longest period of 2 weeks at a time for 3 groups and groups of 1 weeks as well. We have them in our care for the whole day for 6 days except for one hour each night. I worked a lot of cabins with ESL girls from Mexico, China, Japan and Israel and helped them interact with the group with team building activities. Also included a night on an out trip canoeing to a place and camping out for the night.
Worked day camp for 2 weeks having the campers in our care from 7.30am till 5pm at night.
Aside from child care I ran many activities which included archery, high ropes, rock wall, canoeing, kayaking, arts and crafts, low ropes, team building, fire building, outdoor living skills, marine beach study, sailing, paddle boarding, hiking, environment study.
Pros
Accomodation
Cons
Long hard work

Want to know more about YMCA?

Ask a question
Inside the Gymnasium
Gym Monitor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 14, 2015
Working at the YMCA was actually fun. You get to play with the kids in there small activities and also play fun sports. I learned that having fun is good for the mind, the body and the soul. The hardest part about the job was, when the kids didn't listen to your orders after telling them so many times. The most enjoyable part about the job was, on Friday nights the gym is opened to anyone who wants to come in and play games; sometimes the older kids would come in and play a game of 2 on 2 basketball; I use to join in and play, it was fun.
Pros
Always playing sports inside the gym
Cons
The cleaning up afterwards
Fun workplace
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 7, 2015
I signed in and facilitated the gym when they were playing badminton. I also helped clean the gym. They were also fun co-workers.
Pros
Allowed to play sports
Cons
No breaks
A dynamic, upbeat, yet friendly workplace.
Activity Coordinator (Former Employee) –  CASeptember 7, 2015
YMCA is a non-profit organization and as such resources are limited. However, it's incredible management team and dedicated staff make the most out of these resources. Working at this company taught me efficient use of resources, management and vastly improved my interpersonal skills.
Pros
Incredible management team
Cons
unpredictable work hours
Its Good
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 1, 2015
It nice working there. but these people know how to make you work hard. learned many thing from them
management is good
coworkers are friendly
Maintenance Worker
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONSeptember 1, 2015
Place was outdated for safety reasons all over the property! I truly believe that people and children are in danger for there safety there!
wrongful dismissal was applied to my employment there. They were very sneaky and un real to there own believes about dealing with me.Hippocrates!
Pros
Cons
Outdated Cotteges and Building structures
Empathetic work environment
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ONAugust 22, 2015
I discovered I was pregnant during my time there and they ever so kindly game me a position that had more hours with consistency until my maternity leave began. I enjoyed working with children and watching them grow from infant and seeing their developments.
Fun place and great learning experience
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 17, 2015
Typical day would start at 8 in the morning. We'd check in all the kids and get them settled. Then we would start with an activity like an art and crafts. After that was finished we would go to the gym or outside and play games. Then lunch would come with an hour break around 12. My day would end around usually 4-4:30
Pros
Good workers
Not bad at all
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBAugust 16, 2015
The work life at the Y was very well rounded. i had ample time to get the job doe. odd times there was too much time and it was a very long day going by very slow.
Very friendly place to volunteer at , and very wheelchair accessible
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa OntarioAugust 12, 2015
cleaning equipment upstairs, meet and greet, pick up towels and water bottles that were left on the floor.. I would always be willing to do anything else out of my comfort zone, I would look for other jobs to do other than what I am expected to do . I have learned to be independant, and always there with a friendly smile on my face, ,
Pros
very friendly staff, great environment, friendly people that come in to workout.
Cons
very slow, not a lot to do, and keep busy all the tme
Fun environment loving community
1-to-1 Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 9, 2015
I was responsible for integrating a child with disabilities into a group of children without disablities into a sportive and interactive environment. I leaned to be more patient and appreciative of life and opportunities. my co-workers all were dedicated fun and active all on board to meet the needs of the camp goals. The hardest part of my was sometimes integrating the children into groups because they didn't want to be bothered at times. The fun part of my job was just being in the fun environment and interacting with the children