YMCA

YMCA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Home away from home
Membership Entry Desk Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 12, 2014
Some days can be slower than others but overall I enjoy the people I am around, I am hard working and able to show this here at the YMCA. However it is not what I was born to do. I am a very active individual who needs a hands on career. I fell in love with welding and did really well in school. Now eager and excited to start full time work as a welding – more... apprentice. – less
It was a good experience
Employee (Former Employee), Brampton OntarioJune 11, 2014
I helped kids learn various sports and answered various questions from parents.
PLAYING CARD AND OUT DOOR FOOTBALL
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 8 to 10 hrs
My job YMCA job posting filing contact with clint
and review thir file.
Challenging place to work
Transitional Housing Support Worker (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMay 20, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: long hours
- Quiet
- Good management
- Poor team work
- Good staff training seminars/opportunities
Volunteer Work at the YMCA
Instructor (Former Employee), Brampton OntarioMay 8, 2014
When volunteering at the YMCA I had a great experience, I worked with children teaching them how to play certain sports and activities. I learned various techniques when working with children to make them cooperate with me and give advice when they are in need. My co-workers were very helpful, they told me what I did wrong and I corrected my mistakes, – more... also they helped with most activities. The hardest part of the job was keeping some children calm, but I overcame this obstacle and know how to deal with those situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to play the sports I love and share my knowledge with these kids. – less
Excellent staff and management, only positive things to say about my experience!
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: free gym membership!
Cons: hot work environment
- As a lifeguard/swim instructor I've taught and planned lessons for various ages, swimming abilities and groups. I've taught levels from parents and tots to adult lessons, I've also done group classes and private lessons. In the classes we've worked on many water safety skills and swimming skills.

- I've learned many different strategies working at – more... the YMCA, and I've learned their philosophy on working with people of different ethnicities, backgrounds and beliefs. I've also learned to be a more social person and how little interactions can help people feel much better about their day.

- The management at the Y is very approachable and are very resourceful. They are a very friendly group of people and always try to make themselves available to help answer any questions that may come. Staff trainings are done regularly so that all staff can be up to date on all the policies and procedures of the facility.

- My co-workers were always happy and in a good mood which made for a very enjoyable work environment, we got to be a very close group of guards because of it. I would recommend, trust and rely on any of them to cover any of my lessons if I was not available one day.

- The hardest part of my job was working in a hot environment guarding many peoples lives at the same time. Although it's a difficult part of the job, it is required at any pool you work at. I was fully trained to supervise many large groups of people in the water and I'm responsible enough to do so, no matter the temperature of the facility.

- The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with kids and adults of all different ages and swimming abilities. I love seeing the face on the person in question when they've mastered a skill they've been working on for quite some time. I love being in a social environment and working with kids and youth. – less
Volunteer Coach
Volunteer coach (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 30, 2014
Pros: work experience
Cons: no money
It was fun coaching grade 2 students how to play basketball. I learned that kids are really friendly and treat you as a NBA coach.
Great Experience
Marketing Intern (Former Employee), North Bay, ONApril 27, 2014
I worked here for the duration of my 6-week placement. I worked at the location in North Bay and it was a great experience. I learned a lot about the balance of marketing vehicles and constantly updating them.
Inviting fun place to work.
Supervisor- Before and After School (Current Employee), Dundas, ONApril 27, 2014
The YMCA has been great to me since I started back in September. I am in charge of the Full Day Kindergarten program and I could not have asked for a better first job coming into the ECE field. I have many responsibilities such as buying and preparing snack, weekly program planning, keeping my program plan a live document throughout the week, ensuring – more... the safety of 20 children ages four to six and making sure they have a great time while in my care. I absolutely love children which makes going to work exciting and fun everyday. I have a wonderful assistant who works great with me and has similar views and beliefs on children as I do. Since my job is running a before and after school program I have split shifts. This is the only part of my job that I do not overly enjoy. Overall I am quite happy with the YMCA and plan to be involved with their programs in the future whether it is as an employee or a volunteer. – less
It was a great experience , i enjoyed volunteering.
Volunter (Former Employee), Chilliwack B.CApril 15, 2014
Pros: got to give younger children birthdays, teach them to swim and make them enjopy their stay.
Cons: nothing.
It was just as enjoyable as a volunteer position could be. Everyone loves their job and it makes the job a different experience.
Excellent place to work
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa OntarioApril 14, 2014
Managed and maintained 51 participants, executed directional and proper form of exercises based on clients needs.
Productive and fun
Membership Desk Volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 13, 2014
A typical day of volunteering included me greeting the guests and assisting them with questions and signing them in. During this experience I learned how to interact with the community in a more efficient way. My fellow volunteers and staff were welcoming and friendly, I did not experience any problems with them. The hardest part of the job would have – more... been learning the YMCA's time table as there is so much they offer. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with the general public and feeling as though I made a difference in their day. – less
It's fun to stay at theY!
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 9, 2014
The YMCA's in our city operate on a core value system, and therefore the general environment of the building is one of safety, and pleasantry. All of the staff will be as welcoming and helpful as they can be, and the plethora of recreational and scheduled programming available is great for young families, single adults, couples, teens, etc.!

The management – more... team is always very friendly, and involved with the staff and community. – less
Personal trainer and aerobic instructor
Volunteer Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 4, 2014
Pros: live in healthy atmosphere.
Cons: there are less cons because the atmosphere is more healthy.
I started my work every weekdays at 9 to 2 PM . We prepared tv program with high level of qualification. Designing program with the individual differences of clients. Good communication and responsibility with people and also motivate the clients with their goals.
Great environment
Recruiter (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 22, 2014
Lovely co-workers, a rewarding job, but don't get paid a whole lot for the amount of work you do.
Gym Supervisor
Gym Supervisor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 19, 2014
Responsible for supervising youths ages 12 to 14
Taught football skills ensuring the health and safety of players
Facilitated practice, team building exercise, encouraged good sportsmanship
Ensured that equipment and facility was suitable and well maintained
Site Supervisor
School Age Site Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 17, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
In charge of curriculum planning and dealing with budget costs, parent interviews.
before and after school program
ymca (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 14, 2014
kids play to learn in this program we are there to keep children safe, be play partners and make it a place they want to come to everyday.
Great place to get Employment training.
I was a worker under a job developer (Former Employee), Sudbury ontario, downtown.March 14, 2014
Pros: great people, hour long lunch.
Cons: nothing really, i don't pick out cons very well.
Typical day at work was pin pointing my personality traits, what I want in a job, and what I want to do with my life.

What I learned was how to deal with difficult customers, how to deal with difficult co-workers.

My co-workers are now great friends.

The hardest part of the job was picking my good and bad personality traits.

Most enjoyable part – more... was doing the paper work haha. – less
Productive and fun environment
Teacher of Italian as a foreign language (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 12, 2014
Colleagues and supervisors cooperate harmoniously always respecting each other's work.

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more