YMCA Employee Reviews

Wonderful environment for supporting children's growth
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ONApril 17, 2016
Programming for the YMCA is a lot of fun because it requires creativity and is based on children's existing interests. Management and co-workers are supportive of new staff and a wealth of information regarding resources. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing and playing with the children when they are engaged in learning; however, the hardest part of the job is dealing with behavioural challenges in the group.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Split shifts
Working at the Y
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2016
While working with the YMCA, the environment with my fellow coworkers, children, and general public was friendly, safe, and healthy. I increased in interpersonal skills, organizational skills, problem solving, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure. However, the communication between management or staff in higher positions was minimal when in need of assistance. This did teach me to work well independently in every situation that occurred. The hardest part of the job is the pressure placed by the management team. There was no direct nor friendly support received by anyone above my positions. The expectations were too high in the sense that there were no breaks even though all staff were required to work with children for 8+ hours/day. This caused problems because, the necessity of breaks left the majority of my staff team feeling burned out while management continued to get upset if we were to be, for example, sitting down to eat our lunches while supervising activities.The most enjoyable part of this job was the rewarding feeling at the end of the day when you have a respectable bond with each child and their families.
Pros
Free 1-year gym membershi, lifelong friendships, a long list of new skills/experience, and the rewarding moments.
Cons
Long hours, No breaks/overtime pay, unreliable management team
Enjoyable work, meeting new people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBSeptember 11, 2016
Working at the YMCA was always enjoyable because you would meet new people everyday, and all sorts of different personalities.

Although it would get very hot in the pool area during the summer it would still make me happy to go to work and see our members.
Pros
Contact with new people everyday
Cons
Very hot conditions
Best summer
Counsellor at YMCA Camp Ki-Wa-Y (Former Employee) –  St. Clements, ONSeptember 9, 2016
The job descriptions is to have fun. The place is beautiful, and the people that work there are even better.
Learnt time management, as well as patience.
The hardest part was dealing with little children as they can be very annoying.
The best part is dealing with little kids as they can give you a fun new perspective.
Stepping stones for a bright future
Pre-school Instructor-Genesis Centre (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves a 3 hour class with energetic and keen youngsters. I enjoy meeting each and every student as they greet me when they arrive and are eager to learn and interact in activities with one another. I enjoy working along my co-workers who are from different cultures and backgrounds. This provides a multi-cultural experience while enhancing the social, emotional and cognitive knowledge of our diverse little ones.
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Fun, community involved organization
Rise and Shine Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I spend two hours every Friday in the Rise and Shine program, playing games with children, assisting them with their snacks, and helping with cleanup.
I have learned a lot about how young children think and play, and also how to tend to their needs as many do not speak English.
This is also the hardest part of the job, as it is a struggle when you cannot provide exactly what children need because they cannot articulate their thoughts. It is very rewarding on the other hand to see children learning to cooperate with one another and make friends at such a young age.
Pros
experience for my education, work connections, new friendships
Cons
difficulty understanding some kids
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
Encouraging and inclusive work environment
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ONJuly 20, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the YMCA and learned a lot from my time there. The staff is fantastic and constantly went beyond the typical job requirements to ensure each child benifited from the program each and every day.
Programing, Interacting With Children, Teamwork, Daily Interactions with Parents
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 21, 2016
Programming daily, observations on children daily, bathroom routines, outside play, playing to learn curriculum. Worked with great coworkers as a team and individually
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Pros
Great community, flexible hours.
Cons
Working by yourself at times.
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 6, 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
very demanding for clientele
Landlord Requment / Inhome Support worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2016
home visits, phone calls partnerships in-service meetings support clientele and convince landlord requiement of safe keeping the peace. having to deal with Authorities in neccessary. children are safe.
Pros
positive outcomes
Cons
Work environment is great and all employees are team player oriented
Maintenance/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 24, 2016
Since I started working at the YMCA my health has improved. I have lost quite a bit of weight. My Diabetes is under control. All staff are friendly and supportive.
Pros
Physical activity
Cons
not enough hours
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Energetic workplace lots of responsibiltiy
Facilitator (Beyond the bell) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, SCTSeptember 17, 2015
Typical day , getting there early preparing the kids' snacks around 2:30 when they arrive around 3:00 have them wash their hands and then they have their snack. Run planned activities with them ect... , until their parents arrive around 5:00

The great part, was that i learned how to work with children and i was trained while doing so . and how to be a little more creative when i needed to come up with and plan activities. Management was pretty helpful , co-workers were all very pleasant. Hardest part(s) of the job dealing with belligerent children and planning activities.

Most enjoyable , hearing that the kids actually like you !
Pros
Training before and between work.
Cons
Long hours on feet, demanding and lots of responsibility.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
Pros
Free membership to YMCAs
Cons
Not enough hours available.
Working as a camp counsellor was the best opportunity in terms of personal growth and enjoyment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Belwood lake, Fergus ONJanuary 21, 2015
This job was much more a personal growth benefit than that of any job i have had. it taught me important life skills such as time management, organization, planning, self awareness, safety, critical thinking, problem solving and active listening, all while in an extremely enjoyable environment. these traits are worth far more than the actual salary, and thus I am grateful to have had this opportunity.
Pros
working with kids, spending entire summer with friends, always on the water
Cons
low salery, very little room for advancement outside camp
Terrible Work Place
Membership Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 21, 2016
Horrible, toxic, and abusive work environment. All levels of management sanction bullying behaviour. Do not develop staff of any level. Do not follow core values of honesty, caring, respect, responsibility.
Long hard and easy days
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSSeptember 17, 2016
Every day I went to work and learn more how to be a great leader always be engaged with the kids and get to know the kids each and every day talking you kids don't have favorites
Pros
help with the kids
Cons
Cleaning up their mess