YMCA Employee Reviews

Family Environment
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 May 2017
The team is friendly and always there to answer any questions or concerns you may have. It is a clean environment which makes it even more welcoming. Overall, very happy.
Caring employees.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON4 May 2017
The YMCA is a great place to work if you are a fun person who doesn't mind working with others and likes working with children. The issue is that being fond of working with children means that the Y's need to bring down the quality of food and other childcare benefits is insufferable. That being said the YMCA takes care of lots of great families and has some of the most terrific employees you will ever meet.
Lots of fun learning and interacting with the kids
Before and After School program (Current Employee) –  Corunna, ON4 May 2017
Classes that aren't too full ensure that myself and the other YMCA teacher in the room get the chance to interact with each child individually. I enjoy all the different personalities within the class and making a difference in a young persons life.
Good Part Time Job
Maintenance Worker, Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON1 May 2017
I enjoyed the job while I had it but I had to go when I started school, Overall it really wasn't that bad and was great experience for the future. I would go back and do a full time position if I could.
Fun Place to work
Membership Services/Day Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat1 May 2017
The people that come to the YMCA are great. The management are flexible with hours and the pay is okay. The Best part was the job opportunities with children. Nothing more rewarding.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2017
A typical day at work consisted of planning games beforehand for the campers & making sure we provided a fun & safe environment for them. In my opinion there is no hard part to this job. All of it is pretty enjoyable, especially the connection we make with the campers and their guardians.
Great to Volunteer Stressful paid work
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 April 2017
Had the opportunity to be a volunteer coach and i recommend it to everyone it was very beneficial to both the kids and myself.

However working as a referee take it out of you fast. Lots of running, frustrated parents that take their 10 year old's game far too seriously, there is no management or other staff on premise in most situations so you do not have many people in your corner backing your claims.
Cons
Stressful Parents to deal with, Lots of running
Will work through difficult times to maintain your job
Preschool childcare ECA (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 April 2017
In 15 yrs with the YMCA I never felt my job was in jeopardy. They would do almost anything to ensure front line staff didn't feel the brunt of hard economic times. From cutting out Christmas parties to shuffling staff around. Their policies and curriculum are spot on. Management depends almost solely what center you're at (Supervisor) then you have the district manager and HR, all very accessible. You can work at one center and have a supervisor that takes policy and curriculum very seriously and they hover around interrupting and governing everything you do, or another supervisor who is very lax and expects the bare minimum of daily function, then expects a rush around when they know audits or management are coming around....and everything in between. Breeches of policy and procedure are not a career breaker...and there in lies the problem, when you're in a vulnerable sector ie. small children,it should be. If you're a contract/supply/float staff person willing to put you're neck out...that's exactly what you'll do. Your reputation will lead to missed opportunities and/or bullying...and very little will be done to resolve things.
Pros
Amazing interactions with children and families.
Cons
as ECA in contract/float/supply role you can't afford to be assertive with ECE.
Great culture
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2017
Great place to work that allowed me to combine my hobby of dancing, necessity to work out and possibility to instruct others. An amazing culture, where everyone feels welcome regardless background, belief, and age. It is a place where you do what you like, but are not paid a lot though.
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 April 2017
The YMCA is a fantastic company and their workspaces are very comfortable and inviting.

I did volunteer work, which is one of the YMCA qualities, it was very enjoyable.
Volunteer Experience
Summer Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 April 2017
Have only camped/volunteered with YMCA but have enjoyed all my time there. It is well run and I highly recommend both as a camper/user of their programs but also as a volunteer.
Unprofessional
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 April 2017
The management is unprofessional and I wouldnt reccomend working there to anyone I know. As a lifeguard, the pay should be significantly more, especially for the way we are treated.
wonderful people
Child aid (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB20 April 2017
Everyone that worked there when I did was great. Everyone was nice and they were not afraid of offering help if needed.

In the past year or so, there have been a lot of changes and I do not know if itès the same as it was. Management has changed as well as policies.
Staff is super helpful
Volunteer, Child Minding and Active Kids (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 April 2017
Always alot of staff working and they can help you with everything that you need. The children who are in active kids are always fun to hangout with and are usually easy to supervise
pretty cool
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON19 April 2017
was fun to work there i really enjoyed it but it was only a temp job. it is a good job there tho and i do recommend the ymca to others working with the kids was awesome!
Productive and fun environment
YJC participant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 April 2017
Wonderful program, completing daily workshops including educational games/quizzes and power point presentations.
Learned:

- Job Skills
- Good communication skills
-Workplace Safety
Good place to work for
Help Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
YMCA of Northern Alberta treats employees like they are important. Rarely are there negatives to the daily work. The only negative is the pay, which tends to be lower than it should be.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay
Good Work Experience
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 April 2017
Very Productive work culture,fun,helping,supportive staff,helping customers
Fast paced ,learned a lot of new office skills and customer service skills
Pros
free lunches
great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2017
I have learnt many new skills and achieved many new goals through working at YMCA. Great atmosphere to be at with energetic co-workers. Never boring and a good time1
Good Job for a Student
Preschool, Child and Youth staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2017
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is a great place to work with great people and has very flexible hours. As a university student, my boss helped organise my work schedule around my school schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.