YMCA Employee Reviews

a great place to work!
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON13 October 2016
A busy workplace with great staff and clients. A discounted membership and on site gym were definite bonuses! The staff turnover started to become an issue and there were a few changes in management that were not conducive to a satisfying work environment. Overall it was a good place to work!
Pros
very engaging work, hot lunch, on site gym & membership
Cons
long days and unpaid lunch
safe and fun environment
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK10 October 2016
YMCA was a great place to work, i had a great time during my employment as i came to know a lot of people that came to exercise at the facility.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
work schedule
learning experience
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 October 2016
i learned a lot from this job. It was a great chance for me to gain experience in the field. however i found myself drained and stressed at the end of the day. the families and children were great,
Great place to work in
RECE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2016
Maryward child care centre is a great place to work in. The atmosphere is fun and healthy. Children and teachers thrive there. The staff are friendly and I would recommend any ECE to find a job there.
Pros
Free lunches
Nice workplace
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON6 October 2016
Staff there are nice. There are somethings i didn't like or thought was right but i didn't want to say anything. hardest part was to make sure I'm following the works policy no matter how bad i wanted to say that i didn't believe in their policy.
It's awesome
Early Childhood Assistant/ Supply (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 October 2016
Working for the YMCA provided me with a wonderful opportunity to get to know how to to interact with children! I am positive that it is a great working environment.
Review for YMCA
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2016
- terrible management
- people were complacent because of poor pay
- nobody really took job seriously
- 10/10 would not recommend
Pros
good experience for future jobs in similar field
Cons
Everything else
No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
Always a fun and positive environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2016
Everyday at the YMCA is a learning day and the staff is able to solve any issue that comes thier way. Everyone at the YMCA is friendly and makes the workplace enjoyable!
Amazing inclusive organization
Senior Onsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON1 October 2016
- inclusive
- dynamic
- fast paced
- always learning new things
- teamwork
- respectful
- non profit
- leader in quality child care
- volunteer driven
- philanthropy
Pleasant place to work , good feedback and lots of little perks
Outdoor washroom attendant (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON20 September 2016
good hours
learned how to temporarily fix a toilet
Management gave positive feed back
coworkers were friendly
plunging toilets does not always work
good hours
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Long hard and easy days
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2016
Every day I went to work and learn more how to be a great leader always be engaged with the kids and get to know the kids each and every day talking you kids don't have favorites
Pros
help with the kids
Cons
Cleaning up their mess
Enjoyable
Lifeguard/Swim instructor (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON15 September 2016
a lot of sitting around. mostly watching 1 or two swimmers. fairly easy job overall. must be a people person because the members love talking to the lifeguards
Working at the Y
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 September 2016
While working with the YMCA, the environment with my fellow coworkers, children, and general public was friendly, safe, and healthy. I increased in interpersonal skills, organizational skills, problem solving, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure. However, the communication between management or staff in higher positions was minimal when in need of assistance. This did teach me to work well independently in every situation that occurred. The hardest part of the job is the pressure placed by the management team. There was no direct nor friendly support received by anyone above my positions. The expectations were too high in the sense that there were no breaks even though all staff were required to work with children for 8+ hours/day. This caused problems because, the necessity of breaks left the majority of my staff team feeling burned out while management continued to get upset if we were to be, for example, sitting down to eat our lunches while supervising activities.The most enjoyable part of this job was the rewarding feeling at the end of the day when you have a respectable bond with each child and their families.
Pros
Free 1-year gym membershi, lifelong friendships, a long list of new skills/experience, and the rewarding moments.
Cons
Long hours, No breaks/overtime pay, unreliable management team
Enjoyable work, meeting new people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 September 2016
Working at the YMCA was always enjoyable because you would meet new people everyday, and all sorts of different personalities.

Although it would get very hot in the pool area during the summer it would still make me happy to go to work and see our members.
Pros
Contact with new people everyday
Cons
Very hot conditions
Best summer
Counsellor at YMCA Camp Ki-Wa-Y (Former Employee) –  St. Clements, ON9 September 2016
The job descriptions is to have fun. The place is beautiful, and the people that work there are even better.
Learnt time management, as well as patience.
The hardest part was dealing with little children as they can be very annoying.
The best part is dealing with little kids as they can give you a fun new perspective.
A Great place for the people who likes to do more activities and meet new people
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 September 2016
It is a good place with wonderful crew members.
It will be exciting to meet new people from various communities and culture.
Learned to manage tasks on time,to be organized, and to improve my communication skills.
With other volunteer members made creative artworks for the clients to view and enjoy.
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 September 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit
Productive, Kind environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 August 2016
Days were calm and collected everything is well organized and people are always satisfied. Co workers were kind and always offering a helping hand to costumers and other employees.
Pros
kind environment
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks