YMCA Employee Reviews

Instructor (Part-time)/ Membership Desk. (Current Employee) –  Strathroy, ON15 November 2016
The staff and members are woderful! I love teaching the Yoga classes, and making my students feel great. I always get wonderful feedback from my clients and staff.
Pros
Feeling at home and at ease with my job.
Cons
Not enough hrs.
Great environment to work in
Instructor Guard at the Stoney creek (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 November 2016
The culture around the staff is great. Everyone at the YMCA always has a good attitude and that all starts with how the management treats us. It is always a pleasure to go to work there.
Pros
Free membership
Amazing people to learn and grow from
Student (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC11 November 2016
YMCA is a program I really enjoy. It helped me grow into the person I am today. I achieved many certificates in my time being there, as in world host, foodsafe, whmis, first aid and costumer service.
Productive Business
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
It would start of with my Managerial Meeting to staff, go over goals and objectives for the day and week. The staff are good to work with but Management does not support employees.
Excellent workplace
HR Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 November 2016
Excellent workplace to gain experience in an welcoming atmosphere. The downside of it is the huge workload and tight deadlines. This can be compensated with your team members
Very supportive
Supply Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 November 2016
Working with the YMCA has taugh me a lot. The employees are all unreal and so so so supprtive. I stand by everything the YMCA supports. I thank all the staff for everything they have taught me!
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
Volunteer
South LINC Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
I don´t have any salary because I´m a volunteer. My salary is my own satisfaction to help other. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No Cons
Great first child care job to start up
Supply ECA (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
I worked in YMCA of Milton and it was always been my joy to work with many children. I learned so much about child care system and program designing helped me to learn how to create program planning for each week based on children's interests. Directors and supervisors were all supportive and friendly.
Pros
You will love your job.
Cons
Times between morning and afternoon shifts.
easy to work with and good bosses
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
tiring but interesting work, i learned how to treat good the people especially all the members of ymca that i met everyday on my work.
kind and helpful co worker.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make friend the people i met
Pros
good benefits
Productive and fun workplace
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 October 2016
An experience everyone can enjoy! Fun filled workplace, always a challenge but always support. Plenty of opportunities to take new courses, try new programs and build on current qualifications.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Chlorine
a great place to work!
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON13 October 2016
A busy workplace with great staff and clients. A discounted membership and on site gym were definite bonuses! The staff turnover started to become an issue and there were a few changes in management that were not conducive to a satisfying work environment. Overall it was a good place to work!
Pros
very engaging work, hot lunch, on site gym & membership
Cons
long days and unpaid lunch
safe and fun environment
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK10 October 2016
YMCA was a great place to work, i had a great time during my employment as i came to know a lot of people that came to exercise at the facility.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
work schedule
learning experience
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON10 October 2016
i learned a lot from this job. It was a great chance for me to gain experience in the field. however i found myself drained and stressed at the end of the day. the families and children were great,
Great place to work in
RECE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 October 2016
Maryward child care centre is a great place to work in. The atmosphere is fun and healthy. Children and teachers thrive there. The staff are friendly and I would recommend any ECE to find a job there.
Pros
Free lunches
Nice workplace
Early Childhood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON6 October 2016
Staff there are nice. There are somethings i didn't like or thought was right but i didn't want to say anything. hardest part was to make sure I'm following the works policy no matter how bad i wanted to say that i didn't believe in their policy.
It's awesome
Early Childhood Assistant/ Supply (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 October 2016
Working for the YMCA provided me with a wonderful opportunity to get to know how to to interact with children! I am positive that it is a great working environment.
Review for YMCA
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2016
- terrible management
- people were complacent because of poor pay
- nobody really took job seriously
- 10/10 would not recommend
Pros
good experience for future jobs in similar field
Cons
Everything else
No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
Always a fun and positive environment
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2016
Everyday at the YMCA is a learning day and the staff is able to solve any issue that comes thier way. Everyone at the YMCA is friendly and makes the workplace enjoyable!