YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive workplace
Locker room attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2016
A typical workplace looked like me going around the gym folding the towels. I learned to be productive and taught me a lot about being organized. The management was good as they did their best to put me in good workplace with good conditions. My co-workers were really nice as well and taught me many things about job responsibilities. Overall I enjoyed working here and would recommend.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Great place to work. Friendly staff, they make you feel like family.
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work, was coming in a few minutes early to check the communication binder. To see if there was any new information that I needed to know. I have learned many new skills working with this company. Such as patients, listening and communication skills, time management, budgeting, multitasking just to name a few. Also worked with children with varying needs and abilities. My coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. The same with the management if you ever had a question they were there with the door open to help you out in whatever way they could. The hardest part was dealing with sensitive information. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and the children.
Pros
Loved the work I was doing.
Cons
Part time hours. Hours varied week to week
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Pros
Great community, flexible hours.
Cons
Working by yourself at times.
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Long hours, good benefits.
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 27, 2015
I enjoy working with the children and families I have had the privilege of working with. Work/Life balance is not easily obtained. Benefits and vacation/sick time very generous.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
Pros
Free membership to YMCAs
Cons
Not enough hours available.
Best Work Enviornment Ever
Martial Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Working at the YMCA has in short, changed my life. It has provided me an opportunity to do something fun, exciting and challenging while also giving back to the community. The staff at the YMCA are incredible, they always give me a lot of motivation, support and really make me feel like I belong. As a martial arts instructor, a lot of people are looking up to you and depending on you. I consider myself to be a good leader, I enjoy what I do, I enjoy teaching students and providing them with help and it gives me incredible pride and joy when I see students that I personally coach achieve their goals.
Pros
Become phyiscally, mentally and spiritually stronger.
Cons
Endless exercise and training
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 6, 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
Working as a camp counsellor was the best opportunity in terms of personal growth and enjoyment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Belwood lake, Fergus ONJanuary 21, 2015
This job was much more a personal growth benefit than that of any job i have had. it taught me important life skills such as time management, organization, planning, self awareness, safety, critical thinking, problem solving and active listening, all while in an extremely enjoyable environment. these traits are worth far more than the actual salary, and thus I am grateful to have had this opportunity.
Pros
working with kids, spending entire summer with friends, always on the water
Cons
low salery, very little room for advancement outside camp
Very fun and productive kept you on your toes
Junior Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 18, 2016
I thought this was a great job experience and taught me a lot of new things. It was a great way to spend my summer. The kids were very fun to be around and very polite the activities were a great way to help really interact with the kids. It was a very warm and welcoming place to be, also it was a location close to home so I didn't mind it. The hours weren't long it was a great way to spend my day.
Pros
Energizing
Exciting place, learned a lot at this company.
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the children and following instructions, and routine. Planned activities for children to followed, ensure space was organized and children had access to any materials they could have. Often had spontaneous learning opportunities.
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 19, 2016
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Pros
good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons
too many to mention
very demanding for clientele
Landlord Requment / Inhome Support worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2016
home visits, phone calls partnerships in-service meetings support clientele and convince landlord requiement of safe keeping the peace. having to deal with Authorities in neccessary. children are safe.
Pros
positive outcomes
Cons
a supportive place to work
Day Camp Coordinator and Preschool Supivisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
It was a great place to work everyone was pulling together for the greater success.

It was a fun upbeat place to work and they treated staff really well. I always felt as though I was respected and supported.
Pros
getting to use all the facility's
Encouraging and inclusive work environment
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ONJuly 20, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the YMCA and learned a lot from my time there. The staff is fantastic and constantly went beyond the typical job requirements to ensure each child benifited from the program each and every day.
Boring
Early Childhood Educator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2016
Not a good job. Very disrespectful management and supervisor team. The pay is horrible and there is not appreciation for the staff and all the work that they do. Seriously over worked and under paid.
Pros
Great kids and families
Cons
Horrible pay
Productive work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Making beds and setting up dinner tables were my primary tasks as a volunteer at YMCA. Management colleagues were competent, motivational and people-oriented. Work environment was very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Tasks are often dull
YMCA serves people of all ages, background and ailities through all stages of life.
Customer Service Representative (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 28, 2016
It was a volunteer work. I used to interact and engage with members and prospects to determine needs; assist member on-boarding, handle member's general inquiries and questions, gather information, prepare member records, and issues membership ID cards.
Youth Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 9, 2016
- Overall great experience. Every day was enjoyable.

- I've learned how to be a great supervisor of the youth, great communicating skills.

- Management was exceptional

- Nothing was necessarily hard for me

- I enjoyed everything about it
Pros
got to stay in shape
Cons
not enough hours