YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Fun, community involved organization
Rise and Shine Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 18, 2016
I spend two hours every Friday in the Rise and Shine program, playing games with children, assisting them with their snacks, and helping with cleanup.
I have learned a lot about how young children think and play, and also how to tend to their needs as many do not speak English.
This is also the hardest part of the job, as it is a struggle when you cannot provide exactly what children need because they cannot articulate their thoughts. It is very rewarding on the other hand to see children learning to cooperate with one another and make friends at such a young age.
Pros
experience for my education, work connections, new friendships
Cons
difficulty understanding some kids
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
Energetic workplace lots of responsibiltiy
Facilitator (Beyond the bell) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, SCTSeptember 17, 2015
Typical day , getting there early preparing the kids' snacks around 2:30 when they arrive around 3:00 have them wash their hands and then they have their snack. Run planned activities with them ect... , until their parents arrive around 5:00

The great part, was that i learned how to work with children and i was trained while doing so . and how to be a little more creative when i needed to come up with and plan activities. Management was pretty helpful , co-workers were all very pleasant. Hardest part(s) of the job dealing with belligerent children and planning activities.

Most enjoyable , hearing that the kids actually like you !
Pros
Training before and between work.
Cons
Long hours on feet, demanding and lots of responsibility.
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Pros
Great community, flexible hours.
Cons
Working by yourself at times.
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Great place to work. Friendly staff, they make you feel like family.
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBNovember 30, 2015
A typical day at work, was coming in a few minutes early to check the communication binder. To see if there was any new information that I needed to know. I have learned many new skills working with this company. Such as patients, listening and communication skills, time management, budgeting, multitasking just to name a few. Also worked with children with varying needs and abilities. My coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. The same with the management if you ever had a question they were there with the door open to help you out in whatever way they could. The hardest part was dealing with sensitive information. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and the children.
Pros
Loved the work I was doing.
Cons
Part time hours. Hours varied week to week
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 6, 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
Pros
Free membership to YMCAs
Cons
Not enough hours available.
Encouraging and inclusive work environment
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Port Elgin, ONJuly 20, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for the YMCA and learned a lot from my time there. The staff is fantastic and constantly went beyond the typical job requirements to ensure each child benifited from the program each and every day.
very demanding for clientele
Landlord Requment / Inhome Support worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 2, 2016
home visits, phone calls partnerships in-service meetings support clientele and convince landlord requiement of safe keeping the peace. having to deal with Authorities in neccessary. children are safe.
Pros
positive outcomes
Cons
Long hours, good benefits.
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSJuly 27, 2015
I enjoy working with the children and families I have had the privilege of working with. Work/Life balance is not easily obtained. Benefits and vacation/sick time very generous.
Working as a camp counsellor was the best opportunity in terms of personal growth and enjoyment
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Belwood lake, Fergus ONJanuary 21, 2015
This job was much more a personal growth benefit than that of any job i have had. it taught me important life skills such as time management, organization, planning, self awareness, safety, critical thinking, problem solving and active listening, all while in an extremely enjoyable environment. these traits are worth far more than the actual salary, and thus I am grateful to have had this opportunity.
Pros
working with kids, spending entire summer with friends, always on the water
Cons
low salery, very little room for advancement outside camp
Work environment is great and all employees are team player oriented
Maintenance/Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 24, 2016
Since I started working at the YMCA my health has improved. I have lost quite a bit of weight. My Diabetes is under control. All staff are friendly and supportive.
Pros
Physical activity
Cons
not enough hours
a supportive place to work
Day Camp Coordinator and Preschool Supivisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2016
It was a great place to work everyone was pulling together for the greater success.

It was a fun upbeat place to work and they treated staff really well. I always felt as though I was respected and supported.
Pros
getting to use all the facility's
Exciting place, learned a lot at this company.
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the children and following instructions, and routine. Planned activities for children to followed, ensure space was organized and children had access to any materials they could have. Often had spontaneous learning opportunities.
Programing, Interacting With Children, Teamwork, Daily Interactions with Parents
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 21, 2016
Programming daily, observations on children daily, bathroom routines, outside play, playing to learn curriculum. Worked with great coworkers as a team and individually
Productive work environment
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Making beds and setting up dinner tables were my primary tasks as a volunteer at YMCA. Management colleagues were competent, motivational and people-oriented. Work environment was very friendly and welcoming.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Tasks are often dull
Youth Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 9, 2016
- Overall great experience. Every day was enjoyable.

- I've learned how to be a great supervisor of the youth, great communicating skills.

- Management was exceptional

- Nothing was necessarily hard for me

- I enjoyed everything about it
Pros
got to stay in shape
Cons
not enough hours
Welcoming and family oriented
Youth and Preschool Staff (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJuly 18, 2016
Very family friendly. Staff are always welcoming, cheerful and helpful. The YMCA is a good way for families to spend time together and allow the whole family to socialize with others and make relationships.