YMCA

YMCA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Teamwork is important
CYF- Child, Youth & Family Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2014
I am learning how to work with children.
YMCA Delivers programs in manner in which the mission values, goals and practices of the YMCA are being met, while
building a positive relationship
 Ensures that children, ages 6-18, have a positive experience leading to personal growth through fun and rewarding
recreation and sport programs.
 Takes action – more... to ensure that the principles of Healthy Child Development and the Children’s Services standards are
practiced in the delivery and planning of all children’s program – less
I enjoy working with people from different background
School Age Assistant (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 9, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: non
fun workplace, Encouragement, Friendly environment and staff, working with children and divers culture.
It was fun and great meeting people.
Youth Exchange Program (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 2, 2014
Pros: we had everything provided for us for just a small fee.
Cons: was a little home sick.
I enjoyed the YMCA Youth Exchange Program because you get to meet new people, you get to travel for a small fee , you get to explore somewhere totally different from where you're used to and learn about the history of that place.
Great work, not enough stable hours
Supply Teacher (Current Employee), Brantford, ONJune 24, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: no routine
No stable hours, on call or covering vacation. Company is AMAZING and fantastic to work for just hoping to find a job that is more consistent.
Educative, Fun, Productive, Meeting new people
Elected Head Organizer of events and programs (Former Employee), Koforidua, GhanaJune 24, 2014
Pros: working with the local communities
Cons: long and stressful day sometimes
Worked with fellow youth like myself who were self dedicated to make every project a successful one and international volunteers
who were here to help the locals plan and develop programs and implement them.

I learn how to work in terms even in the most stressful time and to resolve any issues that might be an obstacle to us achieving our goal.

It – more... was not a paid work but i really enjoyed it very much and helping my Community and my Country at large. – less
Amazing atmosphere
Counsellor (Former Employee), Saanichton, BCJune 23, 2014
Wake up take care of children. Go kayaking, do archery, go canoeing, walk in the woods, maybe arts and craft. If on maintenance: clean thins like outhouses, clear brush from trails, weed garden.
good learning experience helped me mature as a student
Fundraising Assistant (Former Employee), Pickering,ONJune 18, 2014
Pros: free snacks
Cons: a little disorganized hectic.
I helped manage, and organize fundraising events for the city of Pickering. We eventually managed to put together a winter fundraiser, that donated money to the sick kids foundation.
Ymca
Maintenence (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 17, 2014
Pros: membership
Cons: not enough hours
I really enjoyed my time working there, everyone is friendly and supportive to each other.
Director Training Diversity and Social Inclusion
Director Training (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 17, 2014
Open to creating change but falls short of the follow through.
breaking the glass ceiling was challenging
A very fun and productive workplace, get to meet new people.
Volunteer (Former Employee), WinnipegJune 16, 2014
I loved playing with the kids, great co-workers, very clean place. It was always very enjoyable.
rewarding place to help newcomers
Administrative Representative (Current Employee), toronto,onJune 15, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: too many data entries
the nature of the work needs to ask some very private questions to the clients during registration process. I learned that I have to be very careful to deal the infos with high confidentiality. Most of my colleagues are newcomers and I learned the importance of respecting the diverse cultures. The hardest part is that sometimes we need to shrink our – more... program because of short of fund. – less
Head Lifeguard and Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJune 14, 2014
Good environment to work in and the co-workers were great. The management was very well done and a typical day at work involved lots of tasks
Home away from home
Membership Entry Desk Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 12, 2014
Some days can be slower than others but overall I enjoy the people I am around, I am hard working and able to show this here at the YMCA. However it is not what I was born to do. I am a very active individual who needs a hands on career. I fell in love with welding and did really well in school. Now eager and excited to start full time work as a welding – more... apprentice. – less
It was a good experience
Employee (Former Employee), Brampton OntarioJune 11, 2014
I helped kids learn various sports and answered various questions from parents.
PLAYING CARD AND OUT DOOR FOOTBALL
Volunteer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: 8 to 10 hrs
My job YMCA job posting filing contact with clint
and review thir file.
Volunteer Work at the YMCA
Instructor (Former Employee), Brampton OntarioMay 8, 2014
When volunteering at the YMCA I had a great experience, I worked with children teaching them how to play certain sports and activities. I learned various techniques when working with children to make them cooperate with me and give advice when they are in need. My co-workers were very helpful, they told me what I did wrong and I corrected my mistakes, – more... also they helped with most activities. The hardest part of the job was keeping some children calm, but I overcame this obstacle and know how to deal with those situations. The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to play the sports I love and share my knowledge with these kids. – less
Excellent staff and management, only positive things to say about my experience!
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: free gym membership!
Cons: hot work environment
- As a lifeguard/swim instructor I've taught and planned lessons for various ages, swimming abilities and groups. I've taught levels from parents and tots to adult lessons, I've also done group classes and private lessons. In the classes we've worked on many water safety skills and swimming skills.

- I've learned many different strategies working at – more... the YMCA, and I've learned their philosophy on working with people of different ethnicities, backgrounds and beliefs. I've also learned to be a more social person and how little interactions can help people feel much better about their day.

- The management at the Y is very approachable and are very resourceful. They are a very friendly group of people and always try to make themselves available to help answer any questions that may come. Staff trainings are done regularly so that all staff can be up to date on all the policies and procedures of the facility.

- My co-workers were always happy and in a good mood which made for a very enjoyable work environment, we got to be a very close group of guards because of it. I would recommend, trust and rely on any of them to cover any of my lessons if I was not available one day.

- The hardest part of my job was working in a hot environment guarding many peoples lives at the same time. Although it's a difficult part of the job, it is required at any pool you work at. I was fully trained to supervise many large groups of people in the water and I'm responsible enough to do so, no matter the temperature of the facility.

- The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with kids and adults of all different ages and swimming abilities. I love seeing the face on the person in question when they've mastered a skill they've been working on for quite some time. I love being in a social environment and working with kids and youth. – less
Volunteer Coach
Volunteer coach (Former Employee), Surrey, BCApril 30, 2014
Pros: work experience
Cons: no money
It was fun coaching grade 2 students how to play basketball. I learned that kids are really friendly and treat you as a NBA coach.
Great Experience
Marketing Intern (Former Employee), North Bay, ONApril 27, 2014
I worked here for the duration of my 6-week placement. I worked at the location in North Bay and it was a great experience. I learned a lot about the balance of marketing vehicles and constantly updating them.
Inviting fun place to work.
Supervisor- Before and After School (Current Employee), Dundas, ONApril 27, 2014
The YMCA has been great to me since I started back in September. I am in charge of the Full Day Kindergarten program and I could not have asked for a better first job coming into the ECE field. I have many responsibilities such as buying and preparing snack, weekly program planning, keeping my program plan a live document throughout the week, ensuring – more... the safety of 20 children ages four to six and making sure they have a great time while in my care. I absolutely love children which makes going to work exciting and fun everyday. I have a wonderful assistant who works great with me and has similar views and beliefs on children as I do. Since my job is running a before and after school program I have split shifts. This is the only part of my job that I do not overly enjoy. Overall I am quite happy with the YMCA and plan to be involved with their programs in the future whether it is as an employee or a volunteer. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, – Read more