YMCA Employee Reviews

Good place to have work/life balance
Strength and Conditioning Coach and PT (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 July 2017
I like my working hours 1:45 pm to 10:15 pm so I can do my errands in the morning and go to work peacefully.My job is more of socializing. I enjoy helping others
Pros
Free Membership, 100%benefits
Cons
Nothing as such
Great work place
Aquatics Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 July 2017
great work place with great managerial staff. Pay grade is low to start but there is always an increase with good performance. If experience in instructing and lifeguarding is something your looking for, the YMCA is the job
Pros
Great Team
Cons
Not enough hours
Rewarding workplace with excellent cliental
SACC Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2017
I run an after school program through the YMCA and am responsible for 25 children. It is my job to plan and execute a daily program that is both fun and educational. I prepared an served snack, organized special events, attended regular meetings and maintained a daily, professional relationship with the children's parents.
Pros
Great cliental
Cons
Disorganized management
Amazing place to work, fun, enthusiastic work environment. Staff and members make it a wonderful place to work.
Family Child and Youth Staff (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC15 July 2017
Supervising and entertaining children
Collecting payments from parents
Most enjoyable part of the job making connections with parents and children
Interacting with the children
Great Place for Employees, Employers, and Customers
Information Desk Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON14 July 2017
Such a welcoming environment, staff are easy to work with and are very friendly. I have learned so much and I've only been here for two weeks so far! Nothing negative to say about the job, I enjoy everything here. The only thing that'd be great is if the site had later hours. I'd have the opportunity to continue working here after summer.
Pros
Welcoming environment
Cons
Closes early
great supervisors
Daycare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Port Perry, ON13 July 2017
loved the people and supervisors i worked with but there was alot of issues with my payroll and just trying to get paper work and info i needed and much more issuess i had with the ymca
Great Organization - Leadership Issues
Manager of Payroll & Benefits (Former Employee) –  Bill Rees13 July 2017
Lack of positive leadership in this department. Manipulation, office bully, lack of professionalism leads this department . Great organization just big issues in the HR/payroll area.
Pros
Community Service
Cons
Lack of professional leadership
Takes Advantage
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 July 2017
Terrible place to work, you would think a "not for profit" would be a little more charitable to their employees but they exploit them by having them come in for an hour or two since they do not have to give a mandatory 3 hours shift due to their nfp status. My branch lost all credibility when the one competent manager left. Don't expect any loyalty from them and they only started giving their p/t employees free memberships a few years ago.And if you think you will ever be full time-keep dreaming!
Pros
ummm nice members to work with depending on the branch
Cons
incompetent management, transient work force-there is no reason to stay!
Great Working atmosphere
Youth Engagement Worker (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC11 July 2017
Loved working for the Y, great people, great team, and amazing kids. Worked jumpstart and got to teach a variety of kids skills that will last them for their entire life.
Great Work Environment
Program Staff (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON6 July 2017
Friendly staff with great management. A welcoming environment for both the staff and the clients that come to the youth centre. Plenty of activities available, including pool tables!
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Minimum wage
Great Job
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 July 2017
Loved every day working at the YMCA, great part-time job to balance with school. Difficult for advancement from part-time staff to management level. Pay is not great.
Client focused, changing situations with diverse populations
Certified Career Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS3 July 2017
Client focused, target driven. Can be demanding, yet rewarding.
Staff works together as a team and try to keep personal differences aside and remain respectful and professional.
Productive & fun
Basketball Head Coach (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 July 2017
Work would only be an hour of work which was fun because we were working with teenagers and was fun teaching them. In general just helping the community was the best part of it and interacting with other people of age.
Pros
one hour
Cons
annoying
Supervisors with no moral obligations
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Westmount, QC29 June 2017
I saw a colleague of mine physically abusing a child with special needs. When I asked my supervisor to get him to stop, he stood there, watched and even participated in hurting the child (the supervisor and colleague were friends). I then had to explain the bruises to the child's parents. The supervisors care more about protecting their friends instead of doing the right thing, even when it comes to the safety of the kids.
I've seen numerous incidents where the supervisors were directly involved in putting the safety of the kids at risk (too many to list here).
I've also experience bullying, racism and discrimination by my supervisors.
This is not a healthy workplace and it wont be until there is a new management team.
Pros
the kids are great
Cons
Supervisors have no moral obligations and they don't care about the kids.
it was a fun workplace i really liked going
Daycare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB27 June 2017
i was only a volunteer so i didnt get paid but it was fun to go and interacting with the kids was so cute i really liked it and all the staff was nice.
Pros
we ate lunch with the kids, we went on walks, we made snacks
Cons
not a lot of cons honestly
Fun work place
Facility Housekeeping Attendant (FA) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 June 2017
Great place to work and interact with the public and your coworkers. The earning is low, but the rewards are good. You get good benefits in using their facility for you and your family members.
Fun environment with children/co-workers
Kids Club Leader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 June 2017
depending on the location you are based at, you will go in at your shift time. Prep for snack and lessons. Then you sign in the children and begin lesson, snack, gym lesson, free time, etc.
Pros
sometimes you get free food & the work uniform is easy
Cons
short hours
environment de travail productif et sécuritaire.
Preparatory teacher and child care worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 June 2017
Mon passage au YMCA a été bref, mais j'ai appris énormement. J'ai seulement du positif à dire sur cette entreprise.
Pros
The core values
Cons
salary
Exciting and hectic!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 June 2017
In saying hectic, I mean it well. It's a fantastic place to volunteer! There are a variety of programs for kids, teens, and adults of all ages. Although sometimes disorganized, it's the first place I've volunteered where I realized that I wanted to teach. It was definitely a valuable experience since I immersed myself in it. It helped alleviate my stress and anxiety; just seeing the people there enjoying their programs was enough to make me happy. I got to know the supervisors and other employees, and they truly cared about my well-being. Those 5 years were crazy, but fantastic for me thanks to the YMCA.
Hands on with making connection with children and families
Child and Youth Educator (Current Employee) –  London, ON21 June 2017
Great place to work at, lovely staff and great connection. Hard working individuals with amazing heart in serving children and families. Eye opening experience but pay doesn't mount to the services
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Low Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.