YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
N/a
Team Leader (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2016
Connections with other service providers
Opportunities to engage in other departments such as Employment and Community, Health Fitness and Recreation and Child care
Exciting place, learned a lot at this company.
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Former Employee), North Bay, ONMay 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the children and following instructions, and routine. Planned activities for children to followed, ensure space was organized and children had access to any materials they could have. Often had spontaneous learning opportunities.
fun with lots of kids
After school programer (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSMay 17, 2016
Pros: good kids
Cons: alone
I loved working with a lot of children. the parents were great. We did lots of things like going swimming or going to the library.
Very Poor Management and co-workers are shady.
Cleaner/Custodian (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONMay 16, 2016
They care only of themselves and would through their own mother under a bus.... regarding H/R and All levels of management.
Great place to work or volunteer
Yoga Teacher (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
Pros: Membership
Cons: none
I love it, people are nice and I love to share my passion with the students - Yoga
You can get a membership if you volunteer there and the gym is pretty good, a lot of machine or if you want you can enjoy classes too all included in your membership... fantastic
Volunteer Job
Volunteer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2016
I do my volunteer Job every Thursday in the evening to help the coordinator make or organize different activities with youth people who are studying grade 12.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Victoria, BCMay 10, 2016
Great place to work, friendly staff and easy to get along with and very knowledgeable, the company overall is great. Love working here
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee), Niagara, ONMay 3, 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
Productive and a fun place to work at.
Prep / Line Cook (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 3, 2016
I got to learn and grow as a up coming chef in training. Also management was understanding and at the same time stern. My co workers made the job more fun and enjoyable. I was good in a group setting at the YMCA.
its a great place to work at
Child Card Youth Worker (Current Employee), Lakefield, ONApril 30, 2016
i love working with kids you learn something new everyday when your with them and they can always put a smile on your face. the team is great
Fun atmosphere
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONApril 29, 2016
Great boss. Great coworkers. Great environment. Recent strides to bring up wages and benefits gets a thumbs up from me.
fitness trainer volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 29, 2016
Pros: I got chance to participate in group fitness classes.
Cons: dirty washrooms
I learned about how to deal with client in the real world and helping them with correct exercise techniques. my co-workers was really helpful.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros: Free membership to YMCAs
Cons: Not enough hours available.
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
voluntary position mentoring of children
Youth Counsellor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: making a difference and experience the results of my own creation
Cons: cannot help everyone
most rewarding job, mentoring young minds and making a difference in others lives by leading by example and proving jobs and educational opportunity.
great
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: good hours and fun programming
Cons: not enough back staff
love working here. great hours. flexible when need be. would suggest working here to anyone who likes working with the community.
Good place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Rockland, ONApril 23, 2016
Pros: Coworker are there for you
Cons: Low paid, lifeguard by yourself
Great place to work, great coworker. You learn well how to have confidence in yourself. Do not required you a lot of qualifications other that the requirement to become a lifeguard and have their own instructor course.
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons: too many to mention
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Wonderful environment for supporting children's growth
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Port Perry, ONApril 17, 2016
Pros: Working with children
Cons: Split shifts
Programming for the YMCA is a lot of fun because it requires creativity and is based on children's existing interests. Management and co-workers are supportive of new staff and a wealth of information regarding resources. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing and playing with the children when they are engaged in learning; however, the hardest part of the job is dealing with behavioural challenges in the group.
volunteering with Pickle Ball program
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 15, 2016
I Really enjoy working at the Y. I help the children with learning and supervising Pickle Ball. This involves setting up the area and getting it ready. It has given me responsibility and an opportunity to learn.
Headquarters