YMCA Employee Reviews

great learning ground, fast paced, high expectations, friendly and welcoming,
Membership Sales and Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
While I have worked for this company for more than a decade, I have felt the negative far outweigh the positive. If you wish to work for the YMCA, it is a great stepping ground for college aged workers, but don't expect to get your breaks, or get paid for any over-time. while the company works to avoid anyone working overtime, if it happens, rules are bent.

Charities have more lenient working standards, meaning the minimum shift is 2 hours, and a break is not a right until after 5 hours. while the staff are nice, everyone is stressed out due to understaffing due to budget constraints.
Pros
free membership for staff
Cons
lack of breaks, understaffed
Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
Great first child care job to start up
Supply ECA (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
I worked in YMCA of Milton and it was always been my joy to work with many children. I learned so much about child care system and program designing helped me to learn how to create program planning for each week based on children's interests. Directors and supervisors were all supportive and friendly.
Pros
You will love your job.
Cons
Times between morning and afternoon shifts.
No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
a great place to work!
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON13 October 2016
A busy workplace with great staff and clients. A discounted membership and on site gym were definite bonuses! The staff turnover started to become an issue and there were a few changes in management that were not conducive to a satisfying work environment. Overall it was a good place to work!
Pros
very engaging work, hot lunch, on site gym & membership
Cons
long days and unpaid lunch
Wonderful workplace for people who love children
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON5 December 2016
YMCA Wanakita is one of the biggest YMCA Camps of Canada that holds about 500 people every 2 weeks during the summer. The people that work there are very friendly, a lot of fun, outgoing and are easy to talk to about anything.
Pros
A lot of fun, great people
Cons
Full time contract for a season only
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 August 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 September 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit
Great environment to work in !
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2016
The aquatics department at the YMCA at Bayview and Sheppard is a great location to work with numerous classes and great opportunities to make money overall.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Aquatic Staff always called in sick and management would call for coverage everyday
A Great place for the people who likes to do more activities and meet new people
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 September 2016
It is a good place with wonderful crew members.
It will be exciting to meet new people from various communities and culture.
Learned to manage tasks on time,to be organized, and to improve my communication skills.
With other volunteer members made creative artworks for the clients to view and enjoy.
Excellent Job Opportunity
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Exshaw, AB22 January 2017
YMCA Calgary never fails to remain a open and caring company and extends upon themselves in new ways to the public. You learn outdoor skills and connecting with Youth. The workplace is open and there is always assistance available
cliquey
Summer Youth Camp Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2016
I found this to be a very clique group. Essentially the people in charge of hiring hired friends and delegated the most desirable roles out to their friends.
On a positive note it was rewarding knowing that you made summer camp a fun memorable experience.
Fun, hands on workplace
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 November 2016
-Fun, hands on workplace
-Opportunities to learn new skill sets through PDs and Huddles
-Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children
Pros
Learn new skill sets, have fun with kids
Cons
Split shifts, lack of communication, disorganized management
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
Enjoyable work, meeting new people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 September 2016
Working at the YMCA was always enjoyable because you would meet new people everyday, and all sorts of different personalities.

Although it would get very hot in the pool area during the summer it would still make me happy to go to work and see our members.
Pros
Contact with new people everyday
Cons
Very hot conditions
Best summer
Counsellor at YMCA Camp Ki-Wa-Y (Former Employee) –  St. Clements, ON9 September 2016
The job descriptions is to have fun. The place is beautiful, and the people that work there are even better.
Learnt time management, as well as patience.
The hardest part was dealing with little children as they can be very annoying.
The best part is dealing with little kids as they can give you a fun new perspective.
A days adventures
Assistant Beaver Leader for the 74th Beaver troop (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 December 2016
this was not a paid position but was a very fun and exciting experience each day brought a new aspect!! everything there was amazing and i enjoyed working there!
Pros
each day was something new!
Cons
wish i could pack a better lunch