YMCA

4.4K reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent staff and management, only positive things to say about my experience!
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: free gym membership!
Cons: hot work environment
- As a lifeguard/swim instructor I've taught and planned lessons for various ages, swimming abilities and groups. I've taught levels from parents and tots to adult lessons, I've also done group classes and private lessons. In the classes we've worked on many water safety skills and swimming skills.

- I've learned many different strategies working at the YMCA, and I've learned their philosophy on working with people of different ethnicities, backgrounds and beliefs. I've also learned to be a more social person and how little interactions can help people feel much better about their day.

- The management at the Y is very approachable and are very resourceful. They are a very friendly group of people and always try to make themselves available to help answer any questions that may come. Staff trainings are done regularly so that all staff can be up to date on all the policies and procedures of the facility.

- My co-workers were always happy and in a good mood which made for a very enjoyable work environment, we got to be a very close group of guards because of it. I would recommend, trust and rely on any of them to cover any of my lessons if I was not available one day.

- The hardest part of my job was working in a hot environment guarding many peoples lives at the same time. Although it's a difficult part of the job, it is required at any pool you work at. I was fully trained to supervise many large groups of people in the water and I'm responsible enough to do so, no matter the temperature of the facility.

- The most enjoyable part of the job is to work with kids and adults – more... of all different ages and swimming abilities. I love seeing the face on the person in question when they've mastered a skill they've been working on for quite some time. I love being in a social environment and working with kids and youth. – less
Fulfilling work and a fun work enviroment
Skills Link Participant (Former Employee), Wallaceburg, ONNovember 17, 2012
Pros: fulfilling work, every day is new and interesting
Cons: can be difficult coordinating 20 people for running an event
Every day at work was different. Some days we would write up professional proposals to be sent in to the heads at YMCA. As soon as we get an ok on an idea we would get right to work making flyers, contacting people and getting our event advertised. Sometimes we would even just hear of a community event going on at random and would go in and get involved and help out.
I had learned how fulfilling it is to help others and knowing that you are making a difference in the community. I also learned how to work with a large group of individuals that were all very different from myself.
My co-workers were all very different from myself. We were all kind of a miss matched bunch but we all had one thing in common. We wanted to make a difference and make our community a better place to be. Every now and then we would have our little disputes because there was 20 of us and it's difficult to have 20 people all agree completely on one thing but we would always manage to talk it out and come to mutual agreements that would work for everyone.
The hardest part of the job was we would have to predict for almost every scenario when creating the events and sending in the proposals to the people at the YMCA. Some times small things would get over looked and often times things in the events wouldn't go quite as planned so we would have to think quickly on our feet.
I would say the most enjoyable part of being a Skills Link Participant was that every day was different and that I would work with so many different people that every day was interesting. It would also feel extremely rewarding during and – more... after the events when you see all the people enjoying themselves and you know that you had made a difference in at least one person's life. – less
A fun and gratifying place to work
Welcome Center (Current Employee), Whittier, MBJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: Meeting like-minded ambitious people
Cons: Full time not available
Working at the YMCA is a great place because of the culture of the organization. A typical day is anything but typical since I believe we are enriching lives and building the health of our community daily through promoting healthy living.
At the YMCA I have learned the importance of a healthy family, a healthy lifestyle and a healthy community and how creating a positive and nurturing environment for our members is essential for the over all growth of the organization and our community members. At the YMCA we treat all members with dignity and respect and we practice that commitment to service with one another as well.
At the YMCA, I have the opportunity to work alongside upper management, personal trainers and even engage with our CEO. My experience with management has been above par and I always feel like I am important to the team. One of the best aspects of working alongside management is being able to learn from their best practices, especially how they model dealing with sensitive situations.
The most difficult part of the job is dealing with members who are experiencing financial distress and hardships and who are then unable to afford their monthly membership. I have learned the importance of empathy and have had multiple opportunities to practice this skill while working with and for our members to find a solution that fits their financial needs in order for them to keep their membership. Being able to help people in distress and/or finding solutions to problems is the most enjoyable part of the job. We are not just a gym, we are a family where membership – more... means helping, encouraging and supporting each other. – less
Productive and exciting with some downfalls
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: occasional provided lunches, giveaways, pickup extra hours, benefits
Cons: paperwork, strict administration, inflexibility
I worked shy of a 6 hour day at the YMCA everyday, specifically in their Before and After School programs. I would substitute in the Preschool rooms when the opportunity came up and worked in Summer Camp when the time rolled around. What I found was a caring and dedicated staff under the watchful eyes of dedicated administrators within an impenetrable infrastructure.

The biggest downfall of working at the YMCA was the YMCA itself, their policies and resistance to change and growth. I've been a working ECE for 5 years now and I hate to say that 5 years may be enough for me.

In spite of my experience and my work history, I found that I had to pay YMCA dues to have my thoughts and feelings heard by my superiors and their superiors. That's a challenge, it's a challenge that puts you in a why bother mindset.

During my time at the YMCA, I met some truly wonderful people and interacted with children and families who were confident in the skill that I brought to the table. From the organization itself, I found myself categorized and filed away, another staff member that was interchangeable and disposable.

The most enjoyable part of my day was working with the children, knowing that I was making an indelible impression on those boys and girls. Every day was exciting, every day was a challenge.

I've taken some time to reassess my options but take heed of my words. The YMCA isn't as welcoming as one may think, the people however, the good and decent, always will be.
Very Accepting
Instructor/Guard/ Aquafit Instructor (Former Employee), London OntarioJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Free gym membership
Cons: Long hours, pool deck heat
The YMCA was my home for 4 years. It was truly the most perfect place to work my first job.

A typical day at work involved teaching people young and old the basics of swimming. People of all ethnicity and religions.

Each day I was able to speak to patrons and learn so much about them. I was able to become close with so many wonderful people. It was so perfectly amazing, and I was so incredibly happy to be able to communicate with people on a daily basis.

I could not have asked for more fantastic co-workers while I worked at the YMCA. They truly became my family, every single one of them. I could go to them for help and advice. My senior co-workers helped me to progress and further advance myself in the workplace. They helped me to get over many bumps I had along the way, and to better myself as an employee.

The first 2 years management was fantastic. If i ever had a problem, my manager was right there to help me through it. With no judgement, only support.

But sadly management changed, and the support system became very strained. The support seemed to no longer be there. I started feeling judged and ridiculed if I ever came to anybody with a problem or a suggestion.

In the end, the management was my reason for resigning my position.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing members progress with their swimming/ fitness skills. Having people thank me for changing their lives for the better and helping them become healthier in their lives. Was so incredibly rewarding.
Great place to work with amazing staff.
Lifeguard/ Aquatics Instructor (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: - i get to work with great people, the job is extremely rewarding
Cons: low pay
A typical day in my position switches between guarding the pool and teaching aquatic lessons. The lessons I teach range from pre school classes to teaching lifesaving courses such as bronze cross. I work with many different types of people in my typical day and try my best to build a relationship with my students.

The hardest part of my job is the fact that others lives are in my hands. I am very serious when it comes to this position because it is very important to always be tentative and watchful of all patrons.

The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching because it is rewarding for me as the instructor. When I see my students progressing it brings me great joy and causes me to feel even more determined to do everything I can in order to help them continue progressing.

My co-workers are all amazing at my job and I get along really well with all of them. We are a team at this job really promotes exercising as a team because we are dealing with serious matters, especially while we are guarding.

I have learned a lot from this job such as collaboration with others and how to handle different situations. I also have become much better working under pressure, as I have no choice if something is to go wrong while I am guarding or teaching lessons.
fabulous experience
Professeur d'anglais (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJune 2, 2015
Handling a classroom of students and teaching them the subject that has been assigned
Take daily attendance and teach students proper behavior
Maintain discipline amongst students
Assign homework and tasks that will help in their overall development to students
Find new and productive ways of teaching students, that will help them learn faster, and more efficiently
Pay special attention to weak students, and students with learning disabilities like dyslexia
Communicate with parents of each student, and inform them of their child's development in school
Coordinating with other colleagues and the principal of the school
Teach students of ethical and moral ways to live in the society
Maintain good and friendly relationships with the students and their parents, so that they can communicate openly with the teacher
Teach from the curriculum decided by the educational authorities, but also give suggestions for improving it
Finish the course on time and teach the students performance targets set by the school
Complete all other tasks and duties given by the Supervisor on time
Attend all the students and teachers meeting
Participate in all the school's functions
Executive Administration Assistant
Executive Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Pros: broad range of tasks, flexibility, community involvement
Cons: as a not-for-profit, budget restraints have reduced hours to part-time
Board Meeting Preparation
 Attendance
 Survey Data
 Assembly of Board Package
 Resolutions/Motions
 Prepare – PPt slides and reports as required for presentation at Board meeting
 Meeting Evaluation Questions & data analysis preparation (Survey Monkey)
 Work Plan Management
 Process Minutes
 Distribute Management Report and other identified documents from Board meeting to SLC

Committees / Events Support
Package assembly and distribution, minutes, follow-up, communications, meeting schedule invitations, meals and inventory, venue, IT, motion and activity inventory from meetings
 Accreditation

Production Support
 Constitution and By-Laws Management
 Annual Plans – Association and Strategic
 Monthly Meeting Calendar
 Maintain Master Association Meeting Schedule for core groups (Board Committees, EMT, Managers/Site Supervisors, Events, SLC
that was fun place
Administrative Staff (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 30, 2012
Pros: if available we enjoyed all
Cons: i never notice i was working overtime
actually all days were fun, i loved to work at YMCA, i learned how to help clients in need, what actually their demands are, how to react,and the managemnet was so nice as i give my time, energy and honesty to work, and my coworkers were amazing, they all were very helpful, all help i need or they need we worked together to give comfort to clients of YMCA, actually the hardest day at YMCA was when i was leaving that job, i as well as all my co workers and my manager were so sad, and through out my job i enjoyed every moment i spent. and there are few duties which i had done at YMCA

• Respond to customer enquiries regarding services and products
• Promote membership programs and signed up new members
• Greet guests at reception and direct them appropriately
• Issue membership cards for various services and programs
• Solve customer issues in a professional and courteous manner
• Respond to phone calls about account details, monthly payments and supplementary cards for family members
• Assist management to set up session set up for meetings and events
High quality Child Care Institution
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 5, 2014
Pros: excelent staff, flexable hours and and encouraging environment
Cons: having to wake up early in the morning.
At the YMCA in Chatham-Kent it is always a very busy sometimes, chaotic day. Within the summer program as a volunteer I start the day off by going to the meeting area, interacting with the children and assisting in child care drop off. I have learned a number of different aspects to the job of childcare provision, such as you need to find the right balance between too lenient on inappropriate behaviour and to forceful. Another thing I have learned volunteering at the YMCA would be that you need to be flexible in your actions towards co-workers and upper management. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is knowing when to step in to assist or when to back off of a situation. The most enjoyable part of the job hands down, would have to be the enjoyment of seeing the progress of children grow as human beings, the smiling faces of when children truly enjoy an activity and the curiosity of what happens next in everyday life.
YMCA Hamilton
Child Care Supervisor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 2, 2013
A good company to work for, they have strong values and are eager to support the community in any way possible.

A typical day at work would consist of picking up the children from their classrooms, walking them to the YMCA school Age Childcare program where we would have a program routine that was followed such as reading time, sensory play, cognitive play, arts and crafts, and science days, etc.
Also responsible for attending 10 professional development training sessions per year, daily administrative duties, and managing a petty cash. produced newsletters for the parents, children and school.

I very much enjoyed the employees that I had worked with. Some really had made it a great experience in working together as a supportive team.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with the children, watching their developmental growth, and having a positive impact on their lives.

The hardest part of my previous job at the YMCA was having the children move on, once old enough to join the Sr. program. I had established good relationships with the parents and children.
A highly productive and fun working environment and excellent management
Job Skills Counsellor (Former Employee), North York, ONApril 3, 2015
A typical day at work I would engage in telephone and personal contacts with clients and employers to ensure the placement goals were achieved by both employers and employees
I learned to facilitate workshops and teaching a diverse group of clirents how to apply the skills and knowledge on the Retail Sales Associate workbooks designed by The Retail Council of Canada
Resolve all issues that could arise during the course of placements
Recuring accurate and timely payments of contractual obligations with program clients and employers
Coordinating with diverse organizations for the appropriate and complete WHIMIS, First Aid & CPR Training and Certificates issued accordingly
The hardest part of the job was to resolve any conflicts that arose due to unforeseen circunstances with clients could not comply with employers work rules and schedules. These were quicly addressed and promptly resolved to both parties satisfaction,
Committed to make true combination of Spirit, Body and Mind to build a strong community
Housing Support Worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: this is a strong brand and popularly accepted by the stakeholders
Cons: limited rooms/ facilities for women and families considering the current demand.
The YMCA Transitional Housing is located at such an important place that serve the real purposes of it's clients. Considering the present demand securing one room/ bed is like getting the moon in hand. The Organization is run by the most mature and polished management. All team members are really committed to give their best to the customers. This is an expanded family having the senior management, staff and the residents. Some of the residents are living there for more than 27 years. The most positive part of job is we are contributing towards the overall development of the community following the harm reduction approach. I feel sad when I see some of our clients are not loving themselves and wasting their time only by taking marijuana and drinking alcohol.
Enjoyable work atmosphere lots of room for growing.
JUNIOR CAMP COUNSELOR (Former Employee), scarboroughOctober 17, 2015
Pros: The staff was very friendly and welcoming
To get our morning started with the kids we participated in morning exercises to wake everyone up, once every leader has found their kids they then proceed to the next activity based on what type of group you have. The rest of the day was mostly interaction with the kids, building trust, whether its activities or just one on one time with a kid. I learned that its not easy to run the whole system of camp because you are responsible for the kids at all times and if ever a kid is to go missing that would be in your hands. My co-workers were very supportive showed me the ropes in order for me to succeed. My job was never hard maybe a challenge at times because I had to do a lot of running around in order to make sure the day plans went as planned. The most enjoyable part of my job was morning exerises because that's where the kids would break out of their shy shell and interact with other kids and counselors.
Productive & very fun helping supervise
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 27, 2015
Pros: There are many breaks you can take if nobody needs any assistance.
Cons: There are so many people that come to the Brampton YMCA and this makes the days longer and busier
-A regular work day is just like any other job, you go in and do your part that was assigned to you; once you have free time you can play some sports with other people.
-This job made me learn about how to help others on doing what they're trying to accomplish and to help them reach their goal.
-All the workers at the Brampton YMCA are all very enthusiastic and encouraging. They all try to help one another to do certain things and to help the community out by letting kids have fun at this community center.
-The hardest part of this job would be running around the facility all the time because people are in need of personal assistance.
-The most enjoyable part of this job is that you get to see a lot of people having fun and making the community a better place for kids, teens and adults.
The best and only place that I have ever volunteered in totalling multiple thousands of hours.
Youth Leader (Volunteer) (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 5, 2015
Cons: nothing
No salary stars mainly because I was a volunteer. I volunteered at the North York YMCA for years between being a youth leader and a youth karate instructor. I just found the place and the people to be so enjoyable that I never wanted to leave and would keep coming back despite not even being employed. I learned so many skills here that mainly involve leadership and public speaking which were things I did not know how to properly utilize before. There is no hard part of the job if you enjoy it and the most enjoyable part is really just being able to talk to anyone and have such a positive environment to reinforce you with anything. I do not know the state of the NY YMCA now but during my time there between my peers and the employees,managers, and the head, I just found everyone and everything to be so enjoyable and I will never forget my time there.
Inviting fun place to work.
Supervisor- Before and After School (Current Employee), Dundas, ONApril 27, 2014
The YMCA has been great to me since I started back in September. I am in charge of the Full Day Kindergarten program and I could not have asked for a better first job coming into the ECE field. I have many responsibilities such as buying and preparing snack, weekly program planning, keeping my program plan a live document throughout the week, ensuring the safety of 20 children ages four to six and making sure they have a great time while in my care. I absolutely love children which makes going to work exciting and fun everyday. I have a wonderful assistant who works great with me and has similar views and beliefs on children as I do. Since my job is running a before and after school program I have split shifts. This is the only part of my job that I do not overly enjoy. Overall I am quite happy with the YMCA and plan to be involved with their programs in the future whether it is as an employee or a volunteer.
Fun and busy work place with minimum hours
New comer youth programmer (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONMay 11, 2013
Pros: working with kids
Cons: minimal hours
Its a very fun workplace that consist of hard team work as well as social skill. The hours that I have received a small due to the fact that I have been a student for the past 4 years and therefore dont have many hours for the summer. I have learnt with this kind of job that you really do need your team to make any day a good day. I coach kids basketball over the weekend and have done summer camps. With summer camp you start fro 8-5 and along with the responsibility of looking after 60 kids. The co-workers are great, everyone is enthusiastic and everyone has their own strengths and weakness' which makes our team that much stronger. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that at the end of the day, I am the reason the children are improving in their skills, that they we're able to accomplish any goal due to my support and the help I have given them.
Productive, Fun Work Environment
Youth Leadership Advisor (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONOctober 10, 2013
Pros: connections
I thoroughly enjoyed m employment with the YMCA. The staff members and all around facility was warm and a very comfortable place to work. A lot of my self development happened there at a very young age and I will always remember the values it has taught me. Management could have been a little more in tuned with the involvement of their staff members and how much the facility and its programs meant to them. Co-Workers proved to be closely knit in order to provide a hospitable work environment, like a family. The hardest part about the job was moving forward for new growth. there was never much room or opportunity and often times made employees feel held back and stuck. However what made it most enjoyable were the youth and other members that took part in our programs. To see a positive development and gain great feed back was more than pleasurable.
Great place to work. Friendly staff, they make you feel like family.
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee), Saint John, NBNovember 30, 2015
Pros: Loved the work I was doing.
Cons: Part time hours. Hours varied week to week
A typical day at work, was coming in a few minutes early to check the communication binder. To see if there was any new information that I needed to know. I have learned many new skills working with this company. Such as patients, listening and communication skills, time management, budgeting, multitasking just to name a few. Also worked with children with varying needs and abilities. My coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. The same with the management if you ever had a question they were there with the door open to help you out in whatever way they could. The hardest part was dealing with sensitive information. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the public and the children.
Headquarters