YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

receptionist with YMCA as a volunteer
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2016
I work with YMCA as a receptionist volunteer in 2007 , I learned Data typing so i transfer the documents from the paper into the computer , sending emails to the employers, faxing , scanning , answering on the phone and send each customer to the employer he/she need it,
my co-workers was good and helper , when i need something they dont hesitate to answer me , help me too much,,
I was happy when i did this job as a receptionist and i like that and i wish to complete with them again one day..
Cons
regular hours
kitchen assistant ,supply teacher
Supply Teacher, kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONJune 26, 2016
I receive the lunch for the kids than prepare it for the kids send it to the rooms after they finish I do the dishes
afternoon I work supply teacher ,play with the kids give them the snack do activity with them help 3 rooms with the kids than work in the kitchen
I worked every day 6 to 7 hours
I like to work at the YMCA but I'm looking for full time now i'm part time
Pros
good benefit, respect the employee
Cons
work hard
Fantastic place to work
Life Guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
A typical day a work consists of phenomenal interaction with fellow employees as well as patrons. I have learned a great deal about how to stay calm in stressful situations and how to plan for the worst but expect the best. The management is fantastic and they are always available to talk to. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and the patrons that use the facility.
Productive workplace
Locker room attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2016
A typical workplace looked like me going around the gym folding the towels. I learned to be productive and taught me a lot about being organized. The management was good as they did their best to put me in good workplace with good conditions. My co-workers were really nice as well and taught me many things about job responsibilities. Overall I enjoyed working here and would recommend.
Pros
Free drinks
Team Based Work Environment
Program Coordinator -­ Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMay 24, 2016
The YMCA of Niagara is a team based organization that requires all departments to work together in order to run its day to day operations.

They strive for a strong relationship with all of their members. To assist in that process they have a set of standards that all staff are required to meet.

The members were the best part of this job. Everyone is different and brings a new story to the table. I learned so many new and interesting things from the members.
I love working with the children and learnt valuable life skills.
Wellness Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of preparing a lesson plan for the classes I teach that day. I could also be found with a lifeguarding shift where I'm in charge of everything that happens at the pool within a given timeframe. I learned various first aid skills and how to deal and understand children more. My co-workers were all nice and we had an amazing working environment. The hardest part of the job is when children don't listen, while you are trying to perform a skill or provide the class with an explanation. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children you've previously taught, blossom into amazing swimmers and grow both physically and emotionally.
Pros
Free YMCA membership
Cons
Uncommunicative bosses
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ONMay 3, 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
Wonderful environment for supporting children's growth
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Port Perry, ONApril 17, 2016
Programming for the YMCA is a lot of fun because it requires creativity and is based on children's existing interests. Management and co-workers are supportive of new staff and a wealth of information regarding resources. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing and playing with the children when they are engaged in learning; however, the hardest part of the job is dealing with behavioural challenges in the group.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Split shifts
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Pros
Great community, flexible hours.
Cons
Working by yourself at times.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
Pros
Free membership to YMCAs
Cons
Not enough hours available.
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
Love coming to work, really supportive and fun!
Full Day Kindergarten Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONMarch 16, 2016
Really great place to work because everyone is really supportive and encouraging. There is a lot of room for personal creativity during program at the YMCA and the children give a lot of input. Hardest part of the job would be the amount of paperwork there is daily and overall on a yearly level. It is licenced by the Ministry of Education so there is a lot to be on top of in terms of accountability etc. Love coming to work every single day because it doesn't often feel like work.
Pros
Constant Support
Cons
Split Shifts/ 25 Hours a Week
Overall a fair Volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJune 6, 2016
Working as a volunteer at the YMCA of Brampton was a fun and endearing experience. While occasionally they were some complications with organization by leaders and sometimes the children that we would work with could be fusee and rude, it was mostly enjoyable and only rarely did i have these problems.
Very fun and productive kept you on your toes
Junior Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 18, 2016
I thought this was a great job experience and taught me a lot of new things. It was a great way to spend my summer. The kids were very fun to be around and very polite the activities were a great way to help really interact with the kids. It was a very warm and welcoming place to be, also it was a location close to home so I didn't mind it. The hours weren't long it was a great way to spend my day.
Pros
Energizing
Great place to work!
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I had the best experience ever working at the Y Ellwood location in Edmonton. They are absolutely the best people to work with. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They were also very supportive especially the director. Super awesome team. I work work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to re-locate to another province. Team work made the dream work at this location for sure.
Pros
Management very supportive
Cons
None!
Stepping stones for a bright future
Pre-school Instructor-Genesis Centre (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work involves a 3 hour class with energetic and keen youngsters. I enjoy meeting each and every student as they greet me when they arrive and are eager to learn and interact in activities with one another. I enjoy working along my co-workers who are from different cultures and backgrounds. This provides a multi-cultural experience while enhancing the social, emotional and cognitive knowledge of our diverse little ones.
jumpy and fun
Assistant Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work always involved playing and jumping around with children.Shouting all the time but it was fun.I learned different cultures and how to handle children.The management was pretty good.My co-workers were really good and appreciate working with them because we agreed the same thing most times.I didn't find the job hard because i enjoy working with children and seeing them happy.The most enjoyable part was going swimming and playing with children which always made me happy.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hpurs
Exciting place, learned a lot at this company.
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONMay 20, 2016
Enjoyed working with the children and following instructions, and routine. Planned activities for children to followed, ensure space was organized and children had access to any materials they could have. Often had spontaneous learning opportunities.
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 19, 2016
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Pros
good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons
too many to mention