YMCA
2,989 reviews

YMCA Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good
Program Participant (Volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 8, 2014
Good working with this company

Typical day is Good

Learned Good information

Management Good

Co-workers Good

Hardest part Good

Most enjoyable part Good.
Non-Profits
Membership Specialist (Current Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 2, 2014
Great organization to work for, has been a second home to me. Great people, made a lot of contacts since I've been there.
great starting point to childcare in Moncton, great amnenies
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Moncton, NBNovember 23, 2014
Pros: great accessibily and amnenies
Cons: no room to advance in position
Had own classroom for 3 years, learned the flow of industrialized childcare, compared to owning a at home daycare. Learned to adjust to diversity; from families and co-workers. The best part of this job was what the building had to offer the children, staff and families, from pools, gyms and great outdoor accessibility.
I'm working with YMCA sinc 2013 as a supply, but because I don"t have a ECE I can't full day
Supply staff.working with children from ages 0-12 (Current Employee), London,ONNovember 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
I have gained my expertise with a Bachelor's degree in Special Education from King Saud University in Saudi Arabia that is recognized in Canada by the World Education Services as equivalent to a four years Canadian Bachelor Degree.
Interactive and busy workplace
Camp Counsellor Volunteer (Former Employee), Winnipeg, CanadaNovember 19, 2014
A typical day at work was incredibly busy and required all staff to be fluent and flexible at all times.
Time management was of major importance especially when working with children; being punctual and running according to the day's schedule was a must, in order to ensure the day would run smoothly.
I learnt that in every job, especially this one, – more... that there are certain responsibilities, no matter how unsatisfying, that need to be undertaken and done effectively in order for the workplace to continue and run effectively on a daily and weekly basis. – less
YMCA
Before and after school program (Former Employee), Dundas, ONNovember 17, 2014
I would organized activities for the the children. I would help put snacks and lunches together. Helped the supervisor with any tasks that needed to be done.
Childcare programming
Educator (Former Employee), Burlington, ON & Montreal, QCNovember 13, 2014
-Planned and implemented enriching activities designed for social,
physical and cognitive development

-Evaluated and tutored based on child’s needs

-Strengthened child’s skills and set future goals

-Encouraged the values and principles of the YMCA
Odd Jobs
Labourer (Former Employee), Sudbury ONNovember 12, 2014
Pros: new tasks
Cons: no consistent hours
Mostly all jobs required transportation.
Did not enjoy the jobs.
Great Place To Work
After School Program Coordinator (Former Employee), Fredericton, NBNovember 11, 2014
I had a great time working at the YMCA. I enjoyed my job. However it is hard to have two teachers in one class when people have different ways of doing things.
High quality Child Care Institution
Early Childhood Education Assistant (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 5, 2014
Pros: excelent staff, flexable hours and and encouraging environment
Cons: having to wake up early in the morning.
At the YMCA in Chatham-Kent it is always a very busy sometimes, chaotic day. Within the summer program as a volunteer I start the day off by going to the meeting area, interacting with the children and assisting in child care drop off. I have learned a number of different aspects to the job of childcare provision, such as you need to find the right – more... balance between too lenient on inappropriate behaviour and to forceful. Another thing I have learned volunteering at the YMCA would be that you need to be flexible in your actions towards co-workers and upper management. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is knowing when to step in to assist or when to back off of a situation. The most enjoyable part of the job hands down, would have to be the enjoyment of seeing the progress of children grow as human beings, the smiling faces of when children truly enjoy an activity and the curiosity of what happens next in everyday life. – less
Fun workplace
YMCA volunteering (Former Employee), Burlington, ONOctober 29, 2014
A typical day is volunteering at front desk and in childminding
Great place to be for your health and wellness needs
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 18, 2014
Great place to be a part of; feels like family.
Most clients are great. facilities offer more than what you would think
fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), 10 milner buisness crtOctober 16, 2014
Pros: free snaks
Handle phone calls, providing information to customers, transferring phone calls, filling,Data entry
couch
couch (Former Employee), Truro, NSOctober 12, 2014
Pros: kids
Cons: parents
Volunteer work
taught baseball
worked with youth
won a title
Productive and exciting with some downfalls
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee), Oakville, ONOctober 8, 2014
Pros: occasional provided lunches, giveaways, pickup extra hours, benefits
Cons: paperwork, strict administration, inflexibility
I worked shy of a 6 hour day at the YMCA everyday, specifically in their Before and After School programs. I would substitute in the Preschool rooms when the opportunity came up and worked in Summer Camp when the time rolled around. What I found was a caring and dedicated staff under the watchful eyes of dedicated administrators within an impenetrable – more... infrastructure.

The biggest downfall of working at the YMCA was the YMCA itself, their policies and resistance to change and growth. I've been a working ECE for 5 years now and I hate to say that 5 years may be enough for me.

In spite of my experience and my work history, I found that I had to pay YMCA dues to have my thoughts and feelings heard by my superiors and their superiors. That's a challenge, it's a challenge that puts you in a why bother mindset.

During my time at the YMCA, I met some truly wonderful people and interacted with children and families who were confident in the skill that I brought to the table. From the organization itself, I found myself categorized and filed away, another staff member that was interchangeable and disposable.

The most enjoyable part of my day was working with the children, knowing that I was making an indelible impression on those boys and girls. Every day was exciting, every day was a challenge.

I've taken some time to reassess my options but take heed of my words. The YMCA isn't as welcoming as one may think, the people however, the good and decent, always will be. – less
fun workplace
Program Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKOctober 4, 2014
Pros: working with kids
Cons: distance
the best part of the job, was working with kids and also being able to communicate with them in a decent manner of tone. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The hardest part pf the job was during the period when it's raining. I learnt a lot from the job. I learnt how to corodinate programs and activities and also how to take good care of kids anytime.
Great Place to work!
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee), BrantfordOctober 4, 2014
Every shift there is something new and the staff members are extremely kind and easy to work with.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONOctober 2, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: long hours
the people are amazing - both the staff and guests
hardly feels like work
Committed to make true combination of Spirit, Body and Mind to build a strong community
Housing Support Worker (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 1, 2014
Pros: this is a strong brand and popularly accepted by the stakeholders
Cons: limited rooms/ facilities for women and families considering the current demand.
The YMCA Transitional Housing is located at such an important place that serve the real purposes of it's clients. Considering the present demand securing one room/ bed is like getting the moon in hand. The Organization is run by the most mature and polished management. All team members are really committed to give their best to the customers. This is – more... an expanded family having the senior management, staff and the residents. Some of the residents are living there for more than 27 years. The most positive part of job is we are contributing towards the overall development of the community following the harm reduction approach. I feel sad when I see some of our clients are not loving themselves and wasting their time only by taking marijuana and drinking alcohol. – less
Great
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCSeptember 25, 2014
Amazing organization, great management, amazing co workers, gains new skills

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

The YMCA was established over 160 years ago as a charity dedicated to the health of both individuals and communities. Our focus – Read more