YMCA Employee Reviews

Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
Everything is excellent for a customer service position
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 January 2017
Duties include delivering excellent customer service and creating membership contracts for new members.

Very fun and friendly environment. Great managers and a lot of opportunities for raises and/or promotions.
Pros
Almost everything one would want in their job or career
Cons
Some customers can be rude
easy to work with and good bosses
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
tiring but interesting work, i learned how to treat good the people especially all the members of ymca that i met everyday on my work.
kind and helpful co worker.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make friend the people i met
Pros
good benefits
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ON3 May 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
Volunteer
South LINC Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2016
I don´t have any salary because I´m a volunteer. My salary is my own satisfaction to help other. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
No Cons
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON19 April 2016
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Pros
good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons
too many to mention
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 August 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
Working at the Y
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 September 2016
While working with the YMCA, the environment with my fellow coworkers, children, and general public was friendly, safe, and healthy. I increased in interpersonal skills, organizational skills, problem solving, and the ability to work efficiently under pressure. However, the communication between management or staff in higher positions was minimal when in need of assistance. This did teach me to work well independently in every situation that occurred. The hardest part of the job is the pressure placed by the management team. There was no direct nor friendly support received by anyone above my positions. The expectations were too high in the sense that there were no breaks even though all staff were required to work with children for 8+ hours/day. This caused problems because, the necessity of breaks left the majority of my staff team feeling burned out while management continued to get upset if we were to be, for example, sitting down to eat our lunches while supervising activities.The most enjoyable part of this job was the rewarding feeling at the end of the day when you have a respectable bond with each child and their families.
Pros
Free 1-year gym membershi, lifelong friendships, a long list of new skills/experience, and the rewarding moments.
Cons
Long hours, No breaks/overtime pay, unreliable management team
great learning ground, fast paced, high expectations, friendly and welcoming,
Membership Sales and Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 January 2017
While I have worked for this company for more than a decade, I have felt the negative far outweigh the positive. If you wish to work for the YMCA, it is a great stepping ground for college aged workers, but don't expect to get your breaks, or get paid for any over-time. while the company works to avoid anyone working overtime, if it happens, rules are bent.

Charities have more lenient working standards, meaning the minimum shift is 2 hours, and a break is not a right until after 5 hours. while the staff are nice, everyone is stressed out due to understaffing due to budget constraints.
Pros
free membership for staff
Cons
lack of breaks, understaffed
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks
Fun atmosphere
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON29 April 2016
Great boss. Great coworkers. Great environment. Recent strides to bring up wages and benefits gets a thumbs up from me.
Great environment to work in
Instructor Guard at the Stoney creek (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 November 2016
The culture around the staff is great. Everyone at the YMCA always has a good attitude and that all starts with how the management treats us. It is always a pleasure to go to work there.
Pros
Free membership
a great place to work!
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON13 October 2016
A busy workplace with great staff and clients. A discounted membership and on site gym were definite bonuses! The staff turnover started to become an issue and there were a few changes in management that were not conducive to a satisfying work environment. Overall it was a good place to work!
Pros
very engaging work, hot lunch, on site gym & membership
Cons
long days and unpaid lunch
Great job
Membership Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 January 2016
Great work atmosphere at any YMCA front desk. Lots of experience and training provided. Lots of friendly members and participants to build connections with
Pros
Free membership, yearly wage raises, friendly staff & members
Cons
Long hours, weekend shifts, not much room for career advancement
Pleasant place to work , good feedback and lots of little perks
Outdoor washroom attendant (Former Employee) –  Rama, ON20 September 2016
good hours
learned how to temporarily fix a toilet
Management gave positive feed back
coworkers were friendly
plunging toilets does not always work
good hours
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Great environment to work in !
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 December 2016
The aquatics department at the YMCA at Bayview and Sheppard is a great location to work with numerous classes and great opportunities to make money overall.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Aquatic Staff always called in sick and management would call for coverage everyday
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 September 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit