YMCA Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
I enjoyed seeing the regular customers everyday
Cashier/Cook/Reception (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON21 September 2017
Working at harmony cafe was a good experience, the people were nice my co-workers were amazing it was an a great experience. Working there was a great experience and i really enjoyed working there.
Pros
Learning new things
Cons
Not enough hours
fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC20 September 2017
This place is great for upbeat, and well rounded people who enjoy recreations and working with other people. It in all honesty could have been managed a little better. But no complaints here.
Pros
great environment
Cons
a bit disorganized
fair
Childcare Provider (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 September 2017
good entry level job during school or in addition to existing job. easy and fun. get to meet lots of cool people and a good way to start your day. would recommend.
Ymca work
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 September 2017
I enjoyed working there, definetely consider it. All my coworkers are amazing and the coordinators also are very nice and i just completely cherished,
Pros
Flexible Hours
Fun and good experience
Focus on Youth Senior Leader (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 September 2017
YMCA Windsor is a great place to work. Friendly staff and great opportunity. Perfect for students looking for a part time job. Always opportunity for advancements.
Amazing experience
Camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2017
Working for the YMCA Day camps taught me a lot about working with children and working in a team. It solidified my goal of becoming a teacher. It was a very fun, as well as, rewarding experience.
Pros
Consistent hours and friendly co-workers
Cons
Mentally tiring
Fun workplace in water
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 September 2017
it is fun working with kids in the water, seeing them progress with swimming. The management is helpful and nice. Hardest part of this job is to get shift coverages especially when you are sick. I really enjoy teaching and taking leadership in my classes.
Pros
relaxing
oh
summer counsellor atikameksheng anishnawbek (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON12 September 2017
I had a good team to work whit that summer no one was lazy every one just wanted to finish work the same time as every day so we could go home mane that all
Pros
got to go home for lunch
Cons
kids that crid for no reason
Fun working experience
1 Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
I feel as if it can be overwhelming at times however is not bad to a point where its nit tolerable .Working as a team is more important than showing who has more authority.
Interesting
Child care support assistant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2017
YMCA/YWCA is a very interesting workplace as one is given the opportunity to mix with different people with different minds.Its also a fun workplace with new things to learn everyday
Cons
Pert time work basis

Want to know more about YMCA?

Ask a question
My second home
Child and Youth Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Collingwood, ON11 September 2017
The YMCA has been a huge part of my life for many years. Once I finished my high school volunteer hours, not only did I continue to volunteer for the Y, but they hired me and I have been there ever since. The Y is my second home and my second family. The staff and members make my job so much easier.
YMCA Summer Day Camp
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC11 September 2017
Great summer job for high school/ university students as it allows lots of time in the sun, time filled with amazing activities. Since the manager is off site, you get to be autonomous and self-managed.
Kids and parents are pleasant.
Pros
Easy, fun, doesnt feel like job.
Cons
Days start early and are long. (Mon-Fri, 8-9hrs/day)
fun and friendly
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 September 2017
It is a friendly place to work but doesn't pay its lifeguards and instructors enough for the amount of work we do. there are also not enough full time positions with benefits.
It is an inclusive and fun environment to volunteer in
Swimming Instructor - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 September 2017
Everyday at the Y, is exciting and everyone there is very friendly. They management is also very well. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with little kids and getting to teach them something everytime.
Pros
Flexible hours
fun to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 September 2017
in some case i need to work out its is hardest part. i enjoyed my volunteer hour and its enjoyable volunteer.i learned how to manage time and learn differrnt type of experinece.
Great workplace
Childminding (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 September 2017
I really enjoyed working with the YMCA, it is such a friendly place to work. The kids always loved being there and had a hard time leaving which makes work better when you see that.
Pros
free workouts
Cons
did not get enough shifts
Fun Place
Aquatic Assistant (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 September 2017
It is a fun place to work at. The staff is very friendly towards you. They teach you the job and help you if you are stuck. Overall, It is a great place to work at.
great place to work and learn a new language
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Victoriaville, QC6 September 2017
it was a great opportunity to go to quebec and be able to work there but at the work place the people did not really care about you and didnt try to help with the fact i couldnt speak french
Awesome
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Strathroy, ON5 September 2017
Working at the YMCA was one of the best experiences I had. My fellow counsellors were always supportive and dedicated to making each moment fun for the campers as well as ourselves. The supervisors made sure that you knew that you could come to them with any problem and were always ready to lend a helping hand.
Pros
Free Dollar Drinks, Friendly Atmosphere
Amazing workplace
Chief Hector (Former Employee) –  Kananaskis, AB4 September 2017
I was a camp counselor and it was totally rewarding. It was a work place that allowed me to no longer work but to just enjoy working with kids in an outdoor environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval