YMCA Employee Reviews

Great culture
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2017
Great place to work that allowed me to combine my hobby of dancing, necessity to work out and possibility to instruct others. An amazing culture, where everyone feels welcome regardless background, belief, and age. It is a place where you do what you like, but are not paid a lot though.
Volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 April 2017
The YMCA is a fantastic company and their workspaces are very comfortable and inviting.

I did volunteer work, which is one of the YMCA qualities, it was very enjoyable.
Volunteer Experience
Summer Camp Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON21 April 2017
Have only camped/volunteered with YMCA but have enjoyed all my time there. It is well run and I highly recommend both as a camper/user of their programs but also as a volunteer.
Unprofessional
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB20 April 2017
The management is unprofessional and I wouldnt reccomend working there to anyone I know. As a lifeguard, the pay should be significantly more, especially for the way we are treated.
wonderful people
Child aid (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB20 April 2017
Everyone that worked there when I did was great. Everyone was nice and they were not afraid of offering help if needed.

In the past year or so, there have been a lot of changes and I do not know if itès the same as it was. Management has changed as well as policies.
Staff is super helpful
Volunteer, Child Minding and Active Kids (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 April 2017
Always alot of staff working and they can help you with everything that you need. The children who are in active kids are always fun to hangout with and are usually easy to supervise
pretty cool
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON19 April 2017
was fun to work there i really enjoyed it but it was only a temp job. it is a good job there tho and i do recommend the ymca to others working with the kids was awesome!
Productive and fun environment
YJC participant (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON18 April 2017
Wonderful program, completing daily workshops including educational games/quizzes and power point presentations.
Learned:

- Job Skills
- Good communication skills
-Workplace Safety
Good place to work for
Help Desk Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
YMCA of Northern Alberta treats employees like they are important. Rarely are there negatives to the daily work. The only negative is the pay, which tends to be lower than it should be.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Pay
Good Work Experience
Membership Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK17 April 2017
Very Productive work culture,fun,helping,supportive staff,helping customers
Fast paced ,learned a lot of new office skills and customer service skills
Pros
free lunches
great
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2017
I have learnt many new skills and achieved many new goals through working at YMCA. Great atmosphere to be at with energetic co-workers. Never boring and a good time1
Good Job for a Student
Preschool, Child and Youth staff (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2017
The YMCA of Northern Alberta is a great place to work with great people and has very flexible hours. As a university student, my boss helped organise my work schedule around my school schedule.
Rewarding work place to helping newcomers
Employment Resource Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON13 April 2017
Helping newcomers feel welcomed and directing them to the right direction to employment or school. Working in a divers environment helps to understand how to help newcomers. The best part of working here is to see the clients develop skill they learn from you.
one of the best jobs I've ever had
CIT/Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Clements, ON13 April 2017
I worked at a summer camp branch called YMCA camp Ki-Wa-Y and it was hands down the best job ever. working with children, playing, swimming, rock climbing all summer long! not to mention the staff! the staff is out of this world perfect and in no time will be like family. the only reason i don't work there anymore is because I'm trying to open my own business and if i work there i won't spend enough time on myself. The camp was on Paradise Lake and is just beautiful. Im so thankful i had the opportunity to work there.
Pros
room and board + pay
Cons
long days
fun to work for
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 April 2017
no hard word love the challenges on my daily. includes cleaning locker rooms around the clock, assisting members, laundry such as towels. cleaning of daycares
Pros
free membership
Cons
Love the people I work with
Membership and Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK12 April 2017
This is an Organization that mentors and are forgiving in making mistakes. Management is willing to sit down with you and develop an action plan in order to develop their employees. I have gone through many training programs to further my skills and knowledge. Overall, most people are very happy there.
Pros
Good management team
Cons
Short staffed
Fun and very rewarding work experience.
Camp Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Innisfil, ON7 April 2017
A typical day at a YMCA day camp consists of singing songs, playing games, swimming and getting a very rewarding and fun experience. From working at camp I have learned time management skills and how to effectively communicate with others. The hardest part of the job was maintaining the safety of the kids and teaching them values while giving them a fun experience at camp. The most enjoyable part of the job was the impact you made on all the others around you and the impact they have on you.
Pros
Fun filled days and being outside
Cons
long and challenging days
Excellent experience, and community.
YMCA camp counsellor (Current Employee) –  Innisfil, ON7 April 2017
A typical day at the YMCA camp includes games, songs, sunshine and a lot of fun! From the past 2 years working here i have gained better people skills, time management skills and a major emphasis on values. The workplace is full of positivity, and all round encouragement from everyone. The hardest part of the job was communicating effectively to the campers about values in a positive and and fun way. Seeing children learn and explore themselves everyday, and knowing you impacted them was the most enjoyable part of this job.
Pros
Exciting days, sunshine, and fun.
Cons
Long hours spent outside.
Not a professional workplace
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2017
I started working at the YMCA and I already found myself unhappy in my job. I was very underpaid with how much training and experience I had. I was not orientated when I started, and the management was very unprofessional and did not treat the employees with respect.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Management was unprofessional, and coworkers were not welcoming
productive workplace
Placement Student (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 April 2017
It was really good experience to work in this centre. They promote overall development of child. They promote all different cultures in the classroom and allow children and their family members to bring their opinions in front

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.