YMCA
2,175 reviews

YMCA Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was a great experience , i enjoyed volunteering.
Volunter (Former Employee), Chilliwack B.CApril 15, 2014
Pros: got to give younger children birthdays, teach them to swim and make them enjopy their stay.
Cons: nothing.
It was just as enjoyable as a volunteer position could be. Everyone loves their job and it makes the job a different experience.
Excellent place to work
Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Ottawa OntarioApril 14, 2014
Managed and maintained 51 participants, executed directional and proper form of exercises based on clients needs.
Productive and fun
Membership Desk Volunteer (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 13, 2014
A typical day of volunteering included me greeting the guests and assisting them with questions and signing them in. During this experience I learned how to interact with the community in a more efficient way. My fellow volunteers and staff were welcoming and friendly, I did not experience any problems with them. The hardest part of the job would have – more... been learning the YMCA's time table as there is so much they offer. The most enjoyable part would be interacting with the general public and feeling as though I made a difference in their day. – less
It's fun to stay at theY!
Sales and Service Representative (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 9, 2014
The YMCA's in our city operate on a core value system, and therefore the general environment of the building is one of safety, and pleasantry. All of the staff will be as welcoming and helpful as they can be, and the plethora of recreational and scheduled programming available is great for young families, single adults, couples, teens, etc.!

The management – more... team is always very friendly, and involved with the staff and community. – less
Personal trainer and aerobic instructor
Volunteer Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 4, 2014
Pros: live in healthy atmosphere.
Cons: there are less cons because the atmosphere is more healthy.
I started my work every weekdays at 9 to 2 PM . We prepared tv program with high level of qualification. Designing program with the individual differences of clients. Good communication and responsibility with people and also motivate the clients with their goals.
Great environment
Recruiter (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 22, 2014
Lovely co-workers, a rewarding job, but don't get paid a whole lot for the amount of work you do.
Gym Supervisor
Gym Supervisor (Former Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 19, 2014
Responsible for supervising youths ages 12 to 14
Taught football skills ensuring the health and safety of players
Facilitated practice, team building exercise, encouraged good sportsmanship
Ensured that equipment and facility was suitable and well maintained
Site Supervisor
School Age Site Supervisor (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 17, 2014
Pros: na
Cons: na
In charge of curriculum planning and dealing with budget costs, parent interviews.
before and after school program
ymca (Current Employee), Brampton, ONMarch 14, 2014
kids play to learn in this program we are there to keep children safe, be play partners and make it a place they want to come to everyday.
Great place to get Employment training.
I was a worker under a job developer (Former Employee), Sudbury ontario, downtown.March 14, 2014
Pros: great people, hour long lunch.
Cons: nothing really, i don't pick out cons very well.
Typical day at work was pin pointing my personality traits, what I want in a job, and what I want to do with my life.

What I learned was how to deal with difficult customers, how to deal with difficult co-workers.

My co-workers are now great friends.

The hardest part of the job was picking my good and bad personality traits.

Most enjoyable part – more... was doing the paper work haha. – less
Productive and fun environment
Teacher of Italian as a foreign language (Current Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCMarch 12, 2014
Colleagues and supervisors cooperate harmoniously always respecting each other's work.
A great place to work at with many opportunities for higher placement
Supply Teacher (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMarch 4, 2014
Pros: getting to make connections with different families
Cons: overprotective parents
Working at the YMCA has taught me numerous things about working well with others and how to communicate properly. The staff/management at the YMCA are a joy to work with and are understanding of any problems that may occur unexpectedly. Going in to work everyday is very eventful and different everyday; getting to know the parents and children is very – more... enjoyable as well as seeing how each child grows with your support! – less
A fun place to work on the good days
Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 3, 2014
A typical day at work would be planning out the day in the early morning and starting the day off with attendance. I would be paired of with a different person each week and we would supervise 20 kids. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep the kids in order and getting them to listen. The most enjoyable part though, was making connections with – more... the kids and having fun. – less
Amazing co-workers, bad pay for work done
Lifeguard/ Instructor (Former Employee), GrimsbyFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: free membership
Cons: low pay
Open Shift Weekday
Come in at 5:30am put lane ropes in by yourself.
Check chlorine and ph levels.
Check first aid boxes and equipment.

Co- workers are amazing. They are fun and hard working. The hardest part of the job is trying to stay awake in the heat of the pool. The most enjoyable part is the staff there are like family.
A great place to work.
Coordinator (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: shorted on funding
I was blessed to work with some of the best folks ever at this job.
Gaining great Experience working with children
Children's Counsellor (Former Employee), London, ONFebruary 15, 2014
Camp Counsellor
Team Player
Gaining new knowledge working with children on a daily basis
Teaching Children
Very Rewarding
Enjoying the outdoors
Planning activities
Very enjoyable work with great co-workers
Daycamp Counsellor (Former Employee), London, ONJanuary 25, 2014
Amazing environment, experience, and co-workers. I learned a lot about children and different ways of addressing situations. I had so much fun interacting with the kids and learning from them.
Great place to work at
YMCA Life Guard Training (Former Employee), Oakville, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
I only had two shifts at the YMCA but they where the best, great people coming to swim and work out, great people to work with and the training I had was amazing it was all hands on in and out of the water had good hours to give. would have left if I didn't have to move.
fairly easy work but with very little advancements
Cleaner/Maintenance (Current Employee), Orillia, ONJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: easy work, with not a lot changeing day to day., .
Cons: hours are always all over the place, management
the training is all done by when things come up and need to be deal with.,., the best part of the job is the members that come in on a daily bases and your co-workers.,., management could use improving in like that supervisors don't stay long.,.,.,
Great place to work with amazing staff.
Lifeguard/ Aquatics Instructor (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 10, 2014
Pros: - i get to work with great people, the job is extremely rewarding
Cons: low pay
A typical day in my position switches between guarding the pool and teaching aquatic lessons. The lessons I teach range from pre school classes to teaching lifesaving courses such as bronze cross. I work with many different types of people in my typical day and try my best to build a relationship with my students.

The hardest part of my job is the – more... fact that others lives are in my hands. I am very serious when it comes to this position because it is very important to always be tentative and watchful of all patrons.

The most enjoyable part of my job is teaching because it is rewarding for me as the instructor. When I see my students progressing it brings me great joy and causes me to feel even more determined to do everything I can in order to help them continue progressing.

My co-workers are all amazing at my job and I get along really well with all of them. We are a team at this job really promotes exercising as a team because we are dealing with serious matters, especially while we are guarding.

I have learned a lot from this job such as collaboration with others and how to handle different situations. I also have become much better working under pressure, as I have no choice if something is to go wrong while I am guarding or teaching lessons. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About YMCA

YMCA of the USA is the national resource office for the nation's 2,663 YMCAs, which serve nearly 20.2 million people each year, – Read more