YMCA Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee), Niagara, ONMay 3, 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
its a great place to work at
Child Card Youth Worker (Current Employee), Lakefield, ONApril 30, 2016
i love working with kids you learn something new everyday when your with them and they can always put a smile on your face. the team is great
Fun atmosphere
Housekeeper (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONApril 29, 2016
Great boss. Great coworkers. Great environment. Recent strides to bring up wages and benefits gets a thumbs up from me.
fitness trainer volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee), Brampton, ONApril 29, 2016
Pros: I got chance to participate in group fitness classes.
Cons: dirty washrooms
I learned about how to deal with client in the real world and helping them with correct exercise techniques. my co-workers was really helpful.
Professional and friendly place to work.
Lifeguard (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros: Free membership to YMCAs
Cons: Not enough hours available.
Typical shift consists of getting your first aid and rescue equipment ready and after you walk around the pool deck while scanning. I learned how to chemically test the chlorine, Ph, etc. levels of the water, as well as many other tasks which enhanced my knowledge and skills of the pool and how to maintain it.
voluntary position mentoring of children
Youth Counsellor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 28, 2016
Pros: making a difference and experience the results of my own creation
Cons: cannot help everyone
most rewarding job, mentoring young minds and making a difference in others lives by leading by example and proving jobs and educational opportunity.
great
Early Childhood Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: good hours and fun programming
Cons: not enough back staff
love working here. great hours. flexible when need be. would suggest working here to anyone who likes working with the community.
Good place
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Rockland, ONApril 23, 2016
Pros: Coworker are there for you
Cons: Low paid, lifeguard by yourself
Great place to work, great coworker. You learn well how to have confidence in yourself. Do not required you a lot of qualifications other that the requirement to become a lifeguard and have their own instructor course.
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
fitness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 19, 2016
Pros: good until you find a better job plus free membership thats it
Cons: too many to mention
machines are old and dirty alot of high dust new supervisor dont know his job . most staff is great management not so much plus they take penion plan out even if you dont want it which is wrong 0.36 raise in 5 years please management gets theres tho cheers
Wonderful environment for supporting children's growth
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee), Port Perry, ONApril 17, 2016
Pros: Working with children
Cons: Split shifts
Programming for the YMCA is a lot of fun because it requires creativity and is based on children's existing interests. Management and co-workers are supportive of new staff and a wealth of information regarding resources. The most enjoyable part of the job is observing and playing with the children when they are engaged in learning; however, the hardest part of the job is dealing with behavioural challenges in the group.
volunteering with Pickle Ball program
Volunteer Work (Current Employee), St. John's, NLApril 15, 2016
I Really enjoy working at the Y. I help the children with learning and supervising Pickle Ball. This involves setting up the area and getting it ready. It has given me responsibility and an opportunity to learn.
its a good place to work
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 12, 2016
its nice, I like it and it was a fun summer. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to work and gain experience in working with children especially if you are going to be a teacher.
Productive well run with a great job atmosphere!
Camp Councilor (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 11, 2016
Learned a great deal of communication and teamwork skills. Great positive energy from other co-workers. Safe and organized management.
A great place to work
Lifeguard (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONApril 10, 2016
Pros: great pay, good hours
Cons: scheduling issues
i would rate the YMCA of Peterborough a 5/5 to work, the staff are easy and willing to cover all shifts if you need and getting hours is no problem at all!
YMCA is a great place to work.
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Current Employee), Cobourg, ONApril 6, 2016
Pros: Great community, flexible hours.
Cons: Working by yourself at times.
YMCA is great as they try to meet your needs to have you meet the clients.
I usually guard and then instruct. I get to work with other great individuals. I have learned much patience and different ways of teaching so that I am able to meet the needs of the children and teenagers I teach.
The most enjoyable part of the job is teaching and seeing the individuals I have taught succeed.
Fun workplace educating and entertaining children
Summer Camp Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKApril 4, 2016
Typical day at work includes activity planning, arts and crafts. As well as supervising children while on class trips. I have learned that I enjoy working with children very much and it is a job placement I would consider in the future again. My co-workers were very easy to get along with and I enjoyed their presence. Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children, it was a very fun environment to be in and I overall loved the job.
fun place to work
Membership Sales and Services (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 30, 2016
I would of have liked to work there longer but it was contract work. some times it was overwhelming at times when it had gotten pretty busy. But if I had the chance to work there again, I would totally apply it also gave you a free membership for a year.
Maintaining a clean and safe environment for children and co-workers and instilling good values for the children
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee), Welland, ONMarch 30, 2016
I go into work every day to a room full of fun loving children. My job is to keep them engaged in learning about anything they are interested in.
Enjoyabe environment to work in
Teaching/ECE assistant (Current Employee), London, ONMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Great Staff
Cons: Long hours
Loved my time spent at The YMCA of Western, and everyone I worked with. Everyday was enjoyable, interesting, and a new learning experience for me.
Headquarters