YMCA Employee Reviews

Day at the YMCA
Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
The Ymca is a family friendly fitness facility. A typical day would be standing behind the desk and greeting the members while also giving information on the facility. Sold memberships and various other programs the gym offered. Also gave people new to the environment an orientation on how to properly work out and use various machines. The people at this job were phenomenal; both members and staff. I learned a lot about myself and how to interact with others because this was my first job. The hardest part of the job was having to call a member that owed the gym money, it made me very uncomfortable. However, the overall job was fantastic.
Pros
Very healthy job, very lively.
Cons
Salary wasn't the greatest.
No Room for Advancement
Security (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
If you're a graduate looking for a place to gain experience; this may be a good place to start. But don't stay too long - it won't be worth your while. Unless you are in upper management, VP, SVP or CEO; your raise will be less than 1%. Your performance review means absolutely nothing and your raise was already decided 365 days ago - which is that lousy 1%.
Again, great place to start. Good pension plan if you're willing to ride the waves on the same salary for the next 20 years. But move on as there won't be any advancement.
Pros
People you work with
Cons
Very low raises, management, no inclusiveness
Great first child care job to start up
Supply ECA (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 October 2016
I worked in YMCA of Milton and it was always been my joy to work with many children. I learned so much about child care system and program designing helped me to learn how to create program planning for each week based on children's interests. Directors and supervisors were all supportive and friendly.
Pros
You will love your job.
Cons
Times between morning and afternoon shifts.
a great place to work!
Daycare Teacher (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON13 October 2016
A busy workplace with great staff and clients. A discounted membership and on site gym were definite bonuses! The staff turnover started to become an issue and there were a few changes in management that were not conducive to a satisfying work environment. Overall it was a good place to work!
Pros
very engaging work, hot lunch, on site gym & membership
Cons
long days and unpaid lunch
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON28 August 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 September 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit
A Great place for the people who likes to do more activities and meet new people
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 September 2016
It is a good place with wonderful crew members.
It will be exciting to meet new people from various communities and culture.
Learned to manage tasks on time,to be organized, and to improve my communication skills.
With other volunteer members made creative artworks for the clients to view and enjoy.
Wonderful workplace for people who love children
Assistant Counselor (Former Employee) –  Haliburton, ON5 December 2016
YMCA Wanakita is one of the biggest YMCA Camps of Canada that holds about 500 people every 2 weeks during the summer. The people that work there are very friendly, a lot of fun, outgoing and are easy to talk to about anything.
Pros
A lot of fun, great people
Cons
Full time contract for a season only
Management was terrible
Life Guard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON31 October 2016
The full time manager who is supposed to manage all the staff and programs going on on deck never was at work and her duties would fall to me. Without having proper YMCA Management training I tried to deal with each situation as best as possible.

Also when a situation would arise about an instructor or lifeguard, the manager would take the side of the patron. Normally this would be okay, however the guard or instructor would be following code and then get in trouble for it. If the full time manager was actually there and not just blaming people from afar, this would have been a lot more tolerable work experience.
Pros
Peers and Patrons were normally good to work with, Free access to facilities, my girlfriend received a discounted membership, Head lifeguards were great to work with
Cons
Absent management, schedules not made on time, constant state of confusion, lack supplies
Enjoyable work, meeting new people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB11 September 2016
Working at the YMCA was always enjoyable because you would meet new people everyday, and all sorts of different personalities.

Although it would get very hot in the pool area during the summer it would still make me happy to go to work and see our members.
Pros
Contact with new people everyday
Cons
Very hot conditions
Best summer
Counsellor at YMCA Camp Ki-Wa-Y (Former Employee) –  St. Clements, ON9 September 2016
The job descriptions is to have fun. The place is beautiful, and the people that work there are even better.
Learnt time management, as well as patience.
The hardest part was dealing with little children as they can be very annoying.
The best part is dealing with little kids as they can give you a fun new perspective.
Productive workplace
Locker room attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2016
A typical workplace looked like me going around the gym folding the towels. I learned to be productive and taught me a lot about being organized. The management was good as they did their best to put me in good workplace with good conditions. My co-workers were really nice as well and taught me many things about job responsibilities. Overall I enjoyed working here and would recommend.
Pros
Free drinks
Fantastic place to work
Life Guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2016
A typical day a work consists of phenomenal interaction with fellow employees as well as patrons. I have learned a great deal about how to stay calm in stressful situations and how to plan for the worst but expect the best. The management is fantastic and they are always available to talk to. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and the patrons that use the facility.
easy to work with and good bosses
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 October 2016
tiring but interesting work, i learned how to treat good the people especially all the members of ymca that i met everyday on my work.
kind and helpful co worker.
most enjoyable part of my job is to make friend the people i met
Pros
good benefits
kitchen assistant ,supply teacher
Supply Teacher, kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON26 June 2016
I receive the lunch for the kids than prepare it for the kids send it to the rooms after they finish I do the dishes
afternoon I work supply teacher ,play with the kids give them the snack do activity with them help 3 rooms with the kids than work in the kitchen
I worked every day 6 to 7 hours
I like to work at the YMCA but I'm looking for full time now i'm part time
Pros
good benefit, respect the employee
Cons
work hard
receptionist with YMCA as a volunteer
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON21 June 2016
I work with YMCA as a receptionist volunteer in 2007 , I learned Data typing so i transfer the documents from the paper into the computer , sending emails to the employers, faxing , scanning , answering on the phone and send each customer to the employer he/she need it,
my co-workers was good and helper , when i need something they dont hesitate to answer me , help me too much,,
I was happy when i did this job as a receptionist and i like that and i wish to complete with them again one day..
Cons
regular hours
Ymca
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Beaverton, ON23 November 2016
The YMCA is a great place to work, however working the split shift is not ideal while having to commute. I have been working with the YMCA for two years now (in my third year) and have not yet seen the benefits that the YMCA offers (medical, gym memberships ect)
Fun, hands on workplace
Child Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 November 2016
-Fun, hands on workplace
-Opportunities to learn new skill sets through PDs and Huddles
-Most enjoyable part of the job is working with the children
Pros
Learn new skill sets, have fun with kids
Cons
Split shifts, lack of communication, disorganized management
Productive and fun workplace
Lifeguard and Swimming Instructor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 October 2016
An experience everyone can enjoy! Fun filled workplace, always a challenge but always support. Plenty of opportunities to take new courses, try new programs and build on current qualifications.
Pros
Free membership
Cons
Chlorine