YMCA Employee Reviews

fun
Outdoor Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2017
three years and counting - i enjoyed The YMCA which offers a range of recreation and leisure activities; from art classes to gymnastics and community events.
good place to work
Fitness Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC20 May 2017
i work for a really awesome manager. when life gets in the way there are no problems with getting my shift covered. everyone there is friendly and makes me happy to go to work.
Pros
friendly
Cons
not paid much
amazing work and people
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 May 2017
every co-worker was great and deeply loved their job
the children and family interactions where amazing and so fun to work with and teach.
the relationships you build here are ones that will last for years to come
Camp Wabanaki
Assistant Sailing Director (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ON18 May 2017
Great experience as both a camper and staff member at Camp Wabanaki. Some of my most memorable learning experiences I have gained through camp. Camp provides the opportunity to experience a variety of different skill sets and apply them in your daily life.
Amazing
Youth Leader (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2017
Astonishing work environment where i can say i would recommend this job experience to my family friends and neighbor at any chance i can get without a doubt.
Friendly workplace with functional day to day working enviroment
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS15 May 2017
Day to day work was manageable and educational. I learned good communication skills with the public as well as how to operate different computer programs. Management was good. Hardest part of the job was dealing with members who were unhappy with something. Which is not impossible to deal with, just hard to talk them down sometimes when I was just part-time and could only satisfy them so much when they were looking for more of a manager to talk to. Best part of the job was seeing the wide range of customers we reached and made so happy with our programs and community events. I enjoyed getting to know the regulars and seeing all generations all in one building.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Lack of communication
I hate it here ...
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON14 May 2017
Everyone i work with is miserable. My supervisors are useless, they try to make problems go away by dealing with them quickly and quietly. I work a split shift and am told consistently by other employees that theres no advancement or its vary hard to get anything full time because they are so cheap. They make you go to all these trainings after making you work a full day, I've been told i will lose my job if i don't make the trainings.. they ask so much of you but don't give anything in return. Im miserable.
Good Place to Volunteer
VOLUNTEER "YMCA YOUTH ACTIVITIES COORDINATOR" (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 May 2017
Great place to volunteer and gather experience and leadership skills. Good supervisors and a great working environment. The space is great and the benefits are also very nice.
A ton of fun
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Parham, ON10 May 2017
The primary reason you should work here is for your future. In no way is this a job to acquire money as the pay is horrible. This job is purely for fun and you must be outgoing and enjoy the outdoors. Lots of time is required for this field.
Pros
Free food, great memories
Cons
Long hours, while summer gone.
fun energetic place to work! great experience!
Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 May 2017
This is a GREAT place to work for experience and I highly reccomend this job to anyone who has just graduated from ECE or is still in college for ECE. there is a morning shift and an afternoon shift (before and after care) that works around the schedule of the school the environment is relaxed yet fast pace and the children really enjoy spending time with the workers. The hardest part of this job is also one of my favourite parts. The split shift is hard because depending on what school you work at, the hours of your day could be very short meaning ofcourse less pay. However, that break inbetween is so nice to have- you get a break from the children(refresher) - time to organize and prepare for the next shift as well as focus on personal stuff such as appointments etc. The most enjoyable part of this job is going into work every day, morning and afternoon and seeing the children smile and knowing that they are depending on us(workers) to make the rest of their day, or the begining of their day amazing! another enjoyable part of the job is the flexability. We are able to do a lot of different acitvities, indoor as well as outdoor with the children that they may not be able to do in school such as water balloon toss, tie die, etc. :)
the management at times could be better but over all its super fun!!
Pros
nice break inbetween
Cons
pay because not enough hours
Fun place
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 May 2017
It's a great place to work at. Enjoyed meeting new people, and helping them in reach their goals. There's always something to do at the front desk, it's a really good environment.
Friendly workplace but doesnt give out very weekly hours
Lifeguard and swim instructor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 May 2017
The YMCA is a fun and friendly workplace, it is a great opportunity to get involved with the community and to gain work or volunteer experience especially if it would be your first job.
Takes Whatever You're Willing To Give
Director (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2017
It's a great job, with a lot of positives. However, if you're someone that strives for perfection, the work is never done. It's easy to become overworked and not receive the compensation for the cost it has.
Pros
Free YMCA Membership
Cons
Work Life Balance
Fun workplace, job definitely keeps you busy
Cheer and dance instructor (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 May 2017
A typical day was either leading a dance/cheer group and creating routines for them to do, supervising birthday parties and helping with organization or watching over the after school care centre. I learned a lot about creativity. It was a super fun work environment with lots of nice people. The hardest part was being in school while also spending long amounts of time forming routines for the kids outside of work which I wasn't paid for which sometimes distracted me from school work. My favourite part was working with kids and being able to interact with them.
Essentially all I did there
Teen Night Council Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON6 May 2017
So I would volunteer at the Y twice a week for approximately 6 hours where I would help kids learn the rules and the basics of basketball as well as teach them how to conduct themself on the court.
Pros
great environment
Cons
no cons
Great place to work on a daily basis in the pool!
Lifeguard/Swim and Aquafit instructor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 May 2017
Working for the YMCA has been a great experience for me. While at the Y I have grown and developed my first aid knowledge and have had the opportunity to practice that knowledge on multiple occasions. All the staff were always willing to help out and step in wherever needed.
Pros
great hours and co workers
Cons
very humid work environment
well organized
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Welland, ON5 May 2017
good place to work. well organized and staffed. staff where fun. christmas parties where huge and fun. i enjoyed my time working with this company with the pay was a bit better.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
pay could be better
Family Environment
Dance Instructor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 May 2017
The team is friendly and always there to answer any questions or concerns you may have. It is a clean environment which makes it even more welcoming. Overall, very happy.
Caring employees.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON4 May 2017
The YMCA is a great place to work if you are a fun person who doesn't mind working with others and likes working with children. The issue is that being fond of working with children means that the Y's need to bring down the quality of food and other childcare benefits is insufferable. That being said the YMCA takes care of lots of great families and has some of the most terrific employees you will ever meet.
Lots of fun learning and interacting with the kids
Before and After School program (Current Employee) –  Corunna, ON4 May 2017
Classes that aren't too full ensure that myself and the other YMCA teacher in the room get the chance to interact with each child individually. I enjoy all the different personalities within the class and making a difference in a young persons life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.