YMCA Employee Reviews

Great job
Membership Services Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 16, 2016
Great work atmosphere at any YMCA front desk. Lots of experience and training provided. Lots of friendly members and participants to build connections with
Pros
Free membership, yearly wage raises, friendly staff & members
Cons
Long hours, weekend shifts, not much room for career advancement
Productive and fun place to work with kids
Summer Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONNovember 9, 2015
A typical day at work included running "ice breakers" with you campers to help them familiarize with each other and find similar interests as well as make friends. As the day proceeded, you would run active and passive games with campers to keep them entertained and active making sure to include regular water and snack and lunch breaks. At the end of the day the counsellor with ask for feedback on how each campers day was and what games and activities the campers preferred. Campers would then be handed over to parents for pickup
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Salary
Lots of politics to deal with!
Registered Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 26, 2015
I worked here for a LONG time, and regret it!
If you want to deal with games and politics this is the place for you...most management need training on ppl skills
Staff are burnt out and crying out for a change but are overlooked in favour of the ppl that snitch and kiss up.
The only good thing is the great families and children you work with, some loyal and great staff and the benefits package is the best I've seen in the last 4 companies I've worked for.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Negative management, lots of politics and favouritism, lack of training for new staff
I love working with the children and learnt valuable life skills.
Wellness Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONJune 6, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of preparing a lesson plan for the classes I teach that day. I could also be found with a lifeguarding shift where I'm in charge of everything that happens at the pool within a given timeframe. I learned various first aid skills and how to deal and understand children more. My co-workers were all nice and we had an amazing working environment. The hardest part of the job is when children don't listen, while you are trying to perform a skill or provide the class with an explanation. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the children you've previously taught, blossom into amazing swimmers and grow both physically and emotionally.
Pros
Free YMCA membership
Cons
Uncommunicative bosses
Child Care Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 28, 2016
A typical work day involves planning activities for K to 6 kids and then carrying them out. If you enjoy working with kids this age then you will enjoy this job. There is a decent amount of record keeping and cleaning that goes with the other work and generally I found there was not enough time given for this work. Managing your time is definitely the hardest part of the job.

I enjoyed working with most of my co-workers but did clash with one or two of them about how to handle different situations. Management was great however.
Pros
Free snacks, fun job, a lot of play involved
Cons
Low pay, not enough time for tasks
Overall, it was great except for the fact that we get paid half of the min. wage ($5 an hour!)
Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2015
Fun place to work in. You develop a great connection with the kids even though working can be a little stressful. Friendly co-counselors and I got comfortable on my 2nd week cause on my first one i was pretty left out. I had so much fun with the kids (3-6 years of age). Worked there for 4 weeks for summer day camps..
Pros
Very well known company.. friendly people/co-counselors.
Cons
Salary: is $5 an hour, we get paid less than we should, cause we work 7 hours a day 5 days a week! it's horrible
jumpy and fun
Assistant Camp counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 6, 2016
A typical day at work always involved playing and jumping around with children.Shouting all the time but it was fun.I learned different cultures and how to handle children.The management was pretty good.My co-workers were really good and appreciate working with them because we agreed the same thing most times.I didn't find the job hard because i enjoy working with children and seeing them happy.The most enjoyable part was going swimming and playing with children which always made me happy.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Long hpurs
Made alot friends co-workers and members alike
Housekeeping & Facilities (Former Employee) –  London, ONOctober 1, 2015
It was mostly cleaning but I did laundry as well. I learned to be more like myself than pretend to be somebody im not management for the most part was decent co-workers were awesome made a lot of friends the hardest part was dealing day to day issues it was never same.
Pros
hanging with the members
Cons
salary was not up to par
Flexible work schedule, fun environment, great co-workers.
Supervisor of Adult Health and Fitness (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONAugust 28, 2016
The YMCA is really a fun place to work. The people, co workers and members, are lovely; it's very rewarding.

I have gained much knowledge and experience working for the YMCA such as management/leadership skills, customer service as well as technical skills to include more certification in the fitness industry.

I love working for a charity because I see the positive results of the work we do.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Little advancement
No room for advancement
Membership Host (Former Employee) –  Niagara, ONMay 3, 2016
For a working parent, not an ideal job. Little room for advancement and minimal opportunity for increase in wages.
Expectation to work open and close in order to get hours even after years of seniority makes it impossible to get many hours.
Unrealistic amount of tasks given. For example, front desk membership staff are also expected to assist in other areas, do laundry, run a snack bar, be duty manager if needed and do pool tests and building walk arounds as well as financial assistance meetings with no monetary compensation.
Direct management is over worked and therefor that trickles down onto the employees.
High rate of turn over due to all of these reasons.
receptionist with YMCA as a volunteer
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ONJune 21, 2016
I work with YMCA as a receptionist volunteer in 2007 , I learned Data typing so i transfer the documents from the paper into the computer , sending emails to the employers, faxing , scanning , answering on the phone and send each customer to the employer he/she need it,
my co-workers was good and helper , when i need something they dont hesitate to answer me , help me too much,,
I was happy when i did this job as a receptionist and i like that and i wish to complete with them again one day..
Cons
regular hours
Volunteer Experience
Volunteer Experience (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 2, 2016
I decided to volunteer at the YMCA with a couple of friends for the experience. We'd just play sports with the kids and also teach them a thing or two. Also we learned from the kids and management as well. Management was never a problem. The hardest part about the job would've probably been telling the kids that their time is up & the gym's closed. Best part was playing the game I love most.
Pros
staying fit
kitchen assistant ,supply teacher
Supply Teacher, kitchen assistant (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ONJune 26, 2016
I receive the lunch for the kids than prepare it for the kids send it to the rooms after they finish I do the dishes
afternoon I work supply teacher ,play with the kids give them the snack do activity with them help 3 rooms with the kids than work in the kitchen
I worked every day 6 to 7 hours
I like to work at the YMCA but I'm looking for full time now i'm part time
Pros
good benefit, respect the employee
Cons
work hard
Productive workplace
Locker room attendant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 9, 2016
A typical workplace looked like me going around the gym folding the towels. I learned to be productive and taught me a lot about being organized. The management was good as they did their best to put me in good workplace with good conditions. My co-workers were really nice as well and taught me many things about job responsibilities. Overall I enjoyed working here and would recommend.
Pros
Free drinks
Fantastic place to work
Life Guard and Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2016
A typical day a work consists of phenomenal interaction with fellow employees as well as patrons. I have learned a great deal about how to stay calm in stressful situations and how to plan for the worst but expect the best. The management is fantastic and they are always available to talk to. The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction with my co-workers and the patrons that use the facility.
Fun and learning experience
Part-time Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 19, 2016
Prepare necessary equipment needed at the start of the shift. Make sure that the fitness centre and the building is clean and people are satisfied with the environment. Communicate with other staff about their needs for supplies. Maintain the tidiness of the building throughout the day and all equipment are put away at the end of the day. Thoroughly clean washrooms, and locker rooms before end of shift and ready for the next shift to arrive. Co-workers were fun. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers complements of the clean environment.
Team Based Work Environment
Program Coordinator -­ Aquatics (Former Employee) –  Welland, ONMay 24, 2016
The YMCA of Niagara is a team based organization that requires all departments to work together in order to run its day to day operations.

They strive for a strong relationship with all of their members. To assist in that process they have a set of standards that all staff are required to meet.

The members were the best part of this job. Everyone is different and brings a new story to the table. I learned so many new and interesting things from the members.
A Great place for the people who likes to do more activities and meet new people
PROGRAM ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 4, 2016
It is a good place with wonderful crew members.
It will be exciting to meet new people from various communities and culture.
Learned to manage tasks on time,to be organized, and to improve my communication skills.
With other volunteer members made creative artworks for the clients to view and enjoy.
Great opportunity to help the community.
Counsellor/Animator (Current Employee) –  montreal,QCOctober 20, 2015
Fun workplace that gives employees the opportunity to have on impact on the community.
Great teamwork, your co-workers become like family.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Salary
Great place to work!
Early Childhood Educator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 15, 2016
I had the best experience ever working at the Y Ellwood location in Edmonton. They are absolutely the best people to work with. Everyone was so warm and friendly. They were also very supportive especially the director. Super awesome team. I work work there again in a heartbeat if I didn't have to re-locate to another province. Team work made the dream work at this location for sure.
Pros
Management very supportive
Cons
None!